IGNORED

Most over rated groups of all Time

Major Isewater

43 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

I once spent a goodly sum to see Creedence Clearwater Revival at The Albert Hall having enjoyed their music on recordings.  However, I reckon they had fallen out with the promoter as they played their recordings, note for note, for exactly one hour with no comments/chat or anything other than what their contract obviously stipulated.  There was no encore and never a smile or a flicker of emotion. I felt cheated and could have stayed at home with their records and saved myself a few quid.

Back in the early-mid 1980s, if you got a one hour set out of New Order you would have left the gig feeling fortunate:  40-50 mins was common.

[opening the door, I know, to various gags of 40-50 mins too long etc...]

16 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Back in the early-mid 1980s, if you got a one hour set out of New Order you would have left the gig feeling fortunate:  40-50 mins was common.

Or only about 4 songs then?

11 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I saw Peter Hook and the Light last year , top gig , Blue Monday 'live ' is something to be experienced ! 

On 9/5/2016 at 17:25, nebristolred said:

Get out.

And you.

For me what makes the Roses great isn't necessarily the famous songs (Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, etc), it's the uplifting ones like She Bangs The Drums and a load of the songs that didn't make it onto the first album. Music is obviously a personal thing but for me they're ******* great. In fact a load of Manc music is great. We need a spin-off thread for underrated bands. James anyone?

Coldplay are right up there in overratedness for me. Some of their older stuff was really good but they've reached a point now where they can release any old dross and it will be lapped up by Radio One and their crew. Can't stand Paradise, think it's one of the most bland songs ever and yet it's loved by the media. Mumford and Sons, Red Hot Chili's, and U2 to an extent are up there too.

Whilst I don't get too excited about the Stone Roses, I thought the "Second Coming" was a superb album.

On 06/09/2016 at 00:05, Gazred said:

Haha, yep there is no easy way to say you enjoy that track!

Newport Centre in December. Hope they do some of the old stuff, they've got a great back catalogue.

On 05/09/2016 at 21:11, Woodsy said:

Tried a few different ways of wording this, but they all sound equally wrong, so here goes. Had me some Nancy Boy the other morning, bloody loved it..... 

That one is definitely in the 'thronker' category. Where you seeing them? 

I like my rut. It's comfy. I'd stay where you are, having three daughters I can confirm there is some utter filth out there right now

@Woodsy They were epic mate!

Reeled off a really good mix of old and new with a couple of reinvented old classics. Nancy Boy was played, it was indeed "thronking".

First time i have ever been to the Newport Centre, have to say i was impressed for what is essentially a leisure centre with concert facilities. Was sat front and centre, just behind the "VIP" section no more than 15-20m from the stage. Real mix of older and younger in attendance. As an older fan from back in the day, it was good to see quite a few young un's there down the front loving it. Had i not been suffering from a bad back, i'd of joined them no doubt.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 19:42, Red Bill said:

The very worst band I witnessed was The Pink Fairies in - about 1965 at Bromley Technical College.  They had two drummers (both bad) and the sound system delivered a constant drone without any notes discernible or any melody or ... anything.  Dreadful.

Clue in the name perhaps?

On 9/14/2016 at 19:42, Red Bill said:

The very worst band I witnessed was The Pink Fairies in - about 1965 at Bromley Technical College.  They had two drummers (both bad) and the sound system delivered a constant drone without any notes discernible or any melody or ... anything.  Dreadful.

I cannot speak for that gig - but the Pink Fairies were an awesome band  - still going saw them last year in Bristol - brilliant (my apologies for the naked ladies in the clip that follows but not the music)

On 12 September 2016 at 12:52, BigTone said:

I would think there are a few.

But back to the Beatles "best" efforts let's not forget that classic called "Octopus's Garden" amongst other shite (apart from what is already mentioned).

Then of course The Fab Four went solo.  Lennon had "Imagine" (Ok, good effort).  McCartney had "Mull of Kintyre", "Silly Love Songs" & "Mary had a little Lamb" (enough said except to add that he really is a complete dick as well). Harrison had "My Sweet Lord" (Oh dear, he should have stuck with the Travelling Willburys). Ringo had .....erm........ a fair few hangovers it seems.

They really were just the One Direction of their time.

Nobody has come close to them and probably never will do, the work they did in 7 or 8 years is something of pure genius. They've written so many songs and have passed them on to other artists who have made careers of their own out of it! 

Archived