IGNORED

Atyeo statue +++ Final plinth names fitted +++

Dollymarie

7 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

They have, but the stattos keep changing their minds about which goals count.

Big Screen graphic says 351 .....  its a great day for the Club and its favourite son, but shame just for today the stattos couldn't have matched the total in agreeance with the figure on the Statues plaque.

Put that one down to a minor own goal.

Statue looks great btw..  :clap:  a brilliant addition to the new Stadium.

6 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Big Screen graphic says 351 .....  its a great day for the Club and its favourite son, but shame just for today the stattos couldn't have matched the total in agreeance with the figure on the Statues plaque.

Put that one down to a minor own goal.

Statue looks great btw..  :clap:  a brilliant addition to the new Stadium.

That's OK. It'll be 350 again next month.

50 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Remember when he came back against the Gas, who were top at the time? We won that one and another 10 of the last 13 and went up on the last day? With a goal from from Atyeo, of course.

Was it at Shrewsbury that he scored four to set us on the road?

I 'remember Pompey' away when he scored three or was it four? We won 5-2 if my memory serves me right, I am afraid can't remember the Gas match, or the Shrewsbury one either, a lot of water under the Suspension Bridge...:shifty: I was bit young to understand the England appearances, but still makes me very proud to be part of what he was to City at that time. As a school kid it was all Big John vs Alfie Biggs, wasn't it?

@Dollymarie @Blagdon Mike

@Dave L (great to see you back btw!) mentioned about getting more plaques put on the statue? My old man passed away 3 years ago and he would have watched Big John play so would love to get his name on there. 

Is this still the case and how do I go about it? I was going to wait for the memorial 'buy a brick' garden but this seems more fitting. My dad was born in 1941 so spent his teens watching JA.

Just to add that my old man was proper touched that I got his name on the plinth.

More than I thought he'd have been, seemed genuinely moved that

1/ I'd bothered 

2/ His grandson won't have to ever go far to see his name long after he's gone.

Things were starting to get a bit morbid and emotional at that point, so I got him a hot chocolate and told him to pull himself together. The big Jessie.

Thankfully any further thoughts of the emotion of the occasion were quickly forgotten and he got back to moaning about the game.

Oh. Can we agree now that with winter pretty much with us and Christmas around the corner, it won't be disrespectful in someone decides to give 'Big John' a scarf and hat.

Or even the occasional traffic cone.

Pigeons and seagulls can eff-off if they think he's for shitting on however. You've gotta have some standards.

5 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Was it at Shrewsbury that he scored four to set us on the road?

Yes it was. I was there and remember it well. One header from a cross. One sublime side foot flick from a cross. An intercepted back pass followed by a shot from a narrow angle. Plus, best of all, a volley after flicking the ball over the centre half's head 

23 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

So went down to see the statue this morning as couldn't make the game yesterday. Took my dad down and surprised him as his name is one of the names on a plinth .

Have to say....incredible statue. Fair play to the guy who done it and to all involved. Great tribute and we'll worth the wait 

Glad you and your dad like it :) 

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

So went down to see the statue this morning as couldn't make the game yesterday. Took my dad down and surprised him as his name is one of the names on a plinth .

Have to say....incredible statue. Fair play to the guy who done it and to all involved. Great tribute and we'll worth the wait 

Nice touch,i bet he was made up.

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

As I said further up in this thread, the reaction I got from my old man was surprising. He doesn't usually do sentiment.

So if they are taking more names in the future and you were in two minds about adding that of yourself or your nearest and dearest to the list, then it's well worth considering.

Archived