IGNORED

Atyeo statue +++ Final plinth names fitted +++

Dollymarie

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

As I said further up in this thread, the reaction I got from my old man was surprising. He doesn't usually do sentiment.

So if they are taking more names in the future and you were in two minds about adding that of yourself or your nearest and dearest to the list, then it's well worth considering.

Yeah same. My dad got quite emotional. Atyeo was and always has been his hero...even if he did only watch him a few times. 

Bit before my time but I've read all about the bloke and a hero to me to. Always admired how he turned down big money moves to stick to his roots....

Got  a tattoo of Big John on the inside of my arm to!

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Yeah same. My dad got quite emotional. Atyeo was and always has been his hero...even if he did only watch him a few times. 

Bit before my time but I've read all about the bloke and a hero to me to. Always admired how he turned down big money moves to stick to his roots....

Got  a tattoo of Big John on the inside of my arm to!

I'm not aware that my old man ever saw him play, but it seemed a fitting place to leave a permanent mark of his love of going to football.

18 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Some say 350....some say 351

What's the odd  goal some count and others don't? 

We don't have the same problem as in cricket whether a match is first class or not, so I'm guessing it's a goal scored in a match that was abandoned.

My late grandad's favourite player. He would tell me the same story about how he used to skip school and play 5 a side outside Ashton Gate, when Big John came out and ordered him to return to school. He eventually forgave him though because he kept scoring incredible goals. What a guy though, an incredible sportsman and one of few truly deserving of the label 'legend'.

13 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Whoooooooo.

The 'subtitles' on my phone when watching the YouTube video make reference to the 'supporters strip club'.

Tell me I didn't drop a hundred quid on  getting the old man's name on a bit of metal when I could have booked him a (replacement) knee trembler instead.

My personal account manager might have to be informed about this.

• SC&T Board Members

Anyone interested in the possiblity of having a name added to the plinth, please let us know of your interest by e-mail to atyeostatue@bristolcitysupporters.org

We are compiling a 'waiting list' of people who are interested and will contact these in due course if and when a firm decision is taken to add more names.

It is possible that we may need to wait until a significant number of people (c. 40) have indicated an interest, so that one further full ring of names can be produced.

If we do go ahead, the price will be as previously £100 per 'slot' (a maximum of 25 characters, spaces included). The money will go to the club to offset their share of the statue costs.

34 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Anyone interested in the possiblity of having a name added to the plinth, please let us know of your interest by e-mail to atyeostatue@bristolcitysupporters.org

We are compiling a 'waiting list' of people who are interested and will contact these in due course if and when a firm decision is taken to add more names.

It is possible that we may need to wait until a significant number of people (c. 40) have indicated an interest, so that one further full ring of names can be produced.

If we do go ahead, the price will be as previously £100 per 'slot' (a maximum of 25 characters, spaces included). The money will go to the club to offset their share of the statue costs.

Just sent email many thanks

Wasn't able to get down on the weekend to see the unveiling due to a wedding and running statistics for the Bristol Flyers but have purchased a spot on the plinth with mine and my Dad's name on. Had been going to the Gate with him for as long as I can remember but unfortunately he passed away suddenly two years ago at the age of 65. He told me plenty of stories about Atyeo and it just seemed fitting that his name, along with mine, after all the years we went together could be a part of everything.

Will be looking to hear over on Thursday to see it up close.

Good work to all involved, especially the sculptor. Looks amazing.

53 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

If we do go ahead, the price will be as previously £100 per 'slot' (a maximum of 25 characters, spaces included).

* * The money will go to the club to offset their share of the statue costs.

That's really good news all round I imagine.

Before saying anything else its a good time now to congratulate and thank everyone who has been involved and worked so hard to make this brilliant tribute and lasting legacy to the Clubs biggest ever legend happen.. and what great timing too with the wonderful new Gate happening at the same moment in the clubs history.

I will have to wait til the New Year to see how finances are looking so much right now is uncertain, all being well I really do fancy the idea of being part of it.

One big reservation though is the last starred line of your post Blagdon ....

* *  Why does 'the Club' need payback from the fans for something that enhances its status as much as it pleases supporters/players and Bristolians past & present...?

It seems rather penny pinching in the context of the football industries mega bucks spending in this day and age.. a few grand.. really?  is that too much to expect a Championship club to happily cough up for a historic one off such as this??  .... rather money raised went to good causes than replenishing Club coffers.

18 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Before saying anything else its a good time now to congratulate and thank everyone who has been involved and worked so hard to make this brilliant tribute and lasting legacy to the Clubs biggest ever legend happen.. and what great timing too with the wonderful new Gate happening at the same moment in the clubs history.

I will have to wait til the New Year to see how finances are looking so much right now is uncertain, all being well I really do fancy the idea of being part of it.

* *  Why does 'the Club' need payback from the fans for something that enhances its status as much as it pleases supporters/players and Bristolians past & present...?

It seems rather penny pinching in the context of the football industries mega bucks spending in this day and age.. a few grand.. really?  is that too much to expect a Championship club to happily cough up for a historic one off such as this??  .... rather money raised went to good causes than replenishing Club coffers.

Because I'd imagine it was far more expensive to design, build and install that was initially imagined and they generously stepped in.

It was a fan led initiative, it has been delivered and where the monies go are really secondary, it's a chance to leave a worthwhile permanent mark. 

• SC&T Board Members
3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Indeed, the club doesn't 'need' the money. However, we feel it is the right thing to do.

Originally the SC&T was covering all of the costs and had sufficient funds to do that. In return for providing the club with the cash to pay for the statue, we were to get a few more shares in the club (albeit still a token holding in the grand scheme of things). Ultimately that proved unachievable, so a revised payment structure was agreed, i.e. the club has paid for everything, while the SC&T will in the next week or so be voluntarily contributing the money raised directly for the name plates. We therefore feel that any new money raised this way should also go to the club.

7 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Indeed, the club doesn't 'need' the money. However, we feel it is the right thing to do.

Originally the SC&T was covering all of the costs and had sufficient funds to do that. In return for providing the club with the cash to pay for the statue, we were to get a few more shares in the club (albeit still a token holding in the grand scheme of things). Ultimately that proved unachievable, so a revised payment structure was agreed, i.e. the club has paid for everything, while the SC&T will in the next week or so be voluntarily contributing the money raised directly for the name plates. We therefore feel that any new money raised this way should also go to the club.

Thank you Blagdon Red for that explanation... I was unaware of the finer details of the the statue funding and therefore withdraw my earlier comments on the subject... I jumped to an incorrect conclusion and for that I apologise to all... Specially to the Club who have worked wonders on and off the pitch in recent years, and from a distance on most issues appear to have helped build and participate in an admirable relationship with SC&T. The value of the 'partnership' between the two have indeed been demonstrated admirably in this case and the John Atyeo statue is a brilliant visuals and emotional example of the relationship. Well done all.

As above I apologise for questioning the situation, but in a way maybe it cleared up a few similar thoughts others may have been having prior to your very helpful response and explanation.

Respect to all ... COYR's !  :city: 

8 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

I saw this picture on google earlier. It says Atyeo in training session. Anyone know any more information cause the website is now closed?

football-training-1956-57-bristol-city-i

What a great fun pic...  We've had a fair few players through the years who have been described as 'donkeys' from time to time from the terraces... The Late Great Big John in no way can ever be described as such, .....erm, on the other hand :) 

• Admin
10 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

I saw this picture on google earlier. It says Atyeo in training session. Anyone know any more information cause the website is now closed?

football-training-1956-57-bristol-city-i

Did anyone get a photo of John Atyeo's grandson on Saturday? - he looks just like the big man in this picture

The photo of John Atyeo hauling his team mates who are from left to right;

Wally Hinshelwood. Mike "Threshing Machine" Thresher and Johnny Watkins.

Wally H outshone the great Stan Matthews in a 1958 FA cup tie, Mike Thresher being responsible for keeping Stan quiet on the other side of the pitch and Shirehampton boy, Johnny Watkins who was on the left wing in the same game. A 1-1 draw at Ashton Gate, 42,594, the biggest crowd I've been in at Ashton Gate. A close 0-1 defeat in the replay. City were in Div 2 and Blackpool in First Division.

Great memories of a great man and I still rate Mike Thresher as the best ever City left back.

PS. Wally Hinshelwood, still going at 87 years, has two sons, one of whom is Director of Football at Brighton & Hove Albion, and at least two grandsons who all played professional football. 

My old man used to wax lyrical about Big John,in fact he never stopped telling us how good he was and how he could of played for any team he wanted to ,if they came ever calling.Will be chatting to my brothers about getting his name put on the plinth,a fitting tribute for our old man,to be connected to his favourite ever player.

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Did anyone get a photo of John Atyeo's grandson on Saturday? - he looks just like the big man in this picture

Yes I did notice that and wondered if he could play football. Also one of my mates said if it wasn't for my grey hairs i would look like big john. I said I wish I could have played like him. Also for Non competitive games Atyeo scored an extra 50 goals, so it would have taken his total to 400 goals and 700 appearances. Games like friendlies, Welsh and Gloucester cup etc. 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/goal-den-wonder/story-11244492-detail/story.html

Archived