IGNORED

Lee Johnson Sack Watch (Merged, again and again)

And Its Smith

We have a week until the next game. I wouldn't be surprised if the board wants to have someone lined up before they give LJ his cards. A meeting on Monday to discuss options, followed by an offer being made to someone. 

Pembo might be given charge for the cup game, but I doubt we'll want to remain managerless for too long as the transfer window starts to shut.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

We have a week until the next game. I wouldn't be surprised if the board wants to have someone lined up before they give LJ his cards. A meeting on Monday to discuss options, followed by an offer being made to someone. 

Pembo might be given charge for the cup game, but I doubt we'll want to remain managerless for too long as the transfer window starts to shut.

I'd imagine whoever is incoming will be needing to work with what we have, to a greater extent; even if someone like Rowett walked in the door Monday, he's got a week to line up and execute buys, so I don't see that happening much.

I'm skeptcial/worried about the situation; I think we've hedged our bets about a week too long for a new person to be effective in the market, and although we've a solid base of a squad, this might complicate bringing in a new man.

Problem is that right now, it isn't just a case of "who could do better?" anymore; it's about "someone must do better" - all the stats point to us needing something close to 7-8 wins to stay in this league, and I have no faith left LJ knows how to get these.  

Whether someone else might; who knows?  But as much as I hate the culture of sacking in football, I don't think we have a choice anymore.

Just now, samo II said:

I'd imagine whoever is incoming will be needing to work with what we have, to a greater extent; even if someone like Rowett walked in the door Monday, he's got a week to line up and execute buys, so I don't see that happening much.

I'm skeptcial/worried about the situation; I think we've hedged our bets about a week too long for a new person to be effective in the market, and although we've a solid base of a squad, this might complicate bringing in a new man.

Problem is that right now, it isn't just a case of "who could do better?" anymore; it's about "someone must do better" - all the stats point to us needing something close to 7-8 wins to stay in this league, and I have no faith left LJ knows how to get these.  

Whether someone else might; who knows?  But as much as I hate the culture of sacking in football, I don't think we have a choice anymore.

You do tend to get the new manager bounce and even a no manager bounce (I would have been more confident if Montanier had still have been at Forest today) so hopefully enough points would accrue to keep our heads above water even if it has been a season most would rather forget,

I agree that if we do find someone sooner rather than later, we are still likely to retain Pembo in charge for at least the Burnley game.

It can't be an easy decision for Lansdown. I have no doubt he likes Lee - he's a likeable chap and seems to have his head screwed on. SL may even feel slightly avuncular towards the younger man.

But he didn't make billions by just being a nice guy. Nobody does. He will see the way the wind is blowing, he will be aware of "that record", and he will realise how shyte his lovely new stadium will look with L1 crowds. He's reached an age where he wants to leave a lasting legacy rather than just being "another owner". 

I've no doubt SL will reluctantly say goodbye to Lee.

@Red-Robbo- I agree; not thinking it will be easy for SL, but part of me hopes this is where Ashton will hopefully come into his own somewhat.

If it is truely his business to handle the footballing side of Bristol City from an executive perspective, and SL is honestly going to buy into this, I'd expect Ashton to be the one doing the hard ask to SL/the board, and insulating them from the choice.  He advised; they pull the trigger - end result is they've made an informed choice.

Worryingly, I feel that the relationship between LJ and SL will stand in the way of this, and I almost hope any new appointment is completely Mark Ashton's recommendation, rather than an uncomfortable 'suggestion' from the majority shareholder, as would mean his rep is staked on the success of any new head coach and their results, so has to work.

I don't think we'll hear anything before Monday, and if nothing then, I'll be concerned that we are staying the course, which will either mean we'll need LJ to suddenly inspire the team to an unlikely race to the finish, or that we're in serious danger of going down.  

In light of that; LJ's post-match comment that we are not yet in their bottom three was so depressing, as there was literally not likely scenario we would be today, even after a loss.  But Wigan winning for the second game in a row, and Blackburn grinding out a draw meant we are in pretty close to as bad a situation as we could be tonight.  And we still have to play away at both Wigan and Blackburn, and in neither scenario do I fancy us winning.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

@Red-Robbo- I agree; not thinking it will be easy for SL, but part of me hopes this is where Ashton will hopefully come into his own somewhat.

If it is truely his business to handle the footballing side of Bristol City from an executive perspective, and SL is honestly going to buy into this, I'd expect Ashton to be the one doing the hard ask to SL/the board, and insulating them from the choice.  He advised; they pull the trigger - end result is they've made an informed choice.

Worryingly, I feel that the relationship between LJ and SL will stand in the way of this, and I almost hope any new appointment is completely Mark Ashton's recommendation, rather than an uncomfortable 'suggestion' from the majority shareholder, as would mean his rep is staked on the success of any new head coach and their results, so has to work.

I don't think we'll hear anything before Monday, and if nothing then, I'll be concerned that we are staying the course, which will either mean we'll need LJ to suddenly inspire the team to an unlikely race to the finish, or that we're in serious danger of going down.  

In light of that; LJ's post-match comment that we are not yet in their bottom three was so depressing, as there was literally not likely scenario we would be today, even after a loss.  But Wigan winning for the second game in a row, and Blackburn grinding out a draw meant we are in pretty close to as bad a situation as we could be tonight.  And we still have to play away at both Wigan and Blackburn, and in neither scenario do I fancy us winning.

Ashton and Johnson seem to be best mates so he ain't going 

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You do tend to get the new manager bounce and even a no manager bounce (I would have been more confident if Montanier had still have been at Forest today) so hopefully enough points would accrue to keep our heads above water even if it has been a season most would rather forget,

I agree that if we do find someone sooner rather than later, we are still likely to retain Pembo in charge for at least the Burnley game.

It can't be an easy decision for Lansdown. I have no doubt he likes Lee - he's a likeable chap and seems to have his head screwed on. SL may even feel slightly avuncular towards the younger man.

But he didn't make billions by just being a nice guy. Nobody does. He will see the way the wind is blowing, he will be aware of "that record", and he will realise how shyte his lovely new stadium will look with L1 crowds. He's reached an age where he wants to leave a lasting legacy rather than just being "another owner". 

I've no doubt SL will reluctantly say goodbye to Lee.

We only need a bit of a "bounce " to see us ok.

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Exactly. 

Providing it isn't left until it's too late. Waiting until after the Wednesday game would be like waiting until the 87th minute to make your first sub despite the fact that you are 0-1 down. Who does that remind us of?!

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Exactly. 

Providing it isn't left until it's too late. Waiting until after the Wednesday game would be like waiting until the 87th minute to make your first sub despite the fact that you are 0-1 down. Who does that remind us of?!

We just need a bloody firefighter....screw the long term shit (for now)

9 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

We probably need to double our points tally to guarantee safety; a little less (say 21 points) might see us through.

That lower total could be 7 wins, or say 5 wins and 6 draws, all of which have to come from 19 remaining games.  

I think we're moving from 'need a bounce' into 'need a bout of playoff form' territory, if we're going to survive with any comfort. I just worry that by shedding so many point to fellow strugglers a la Forest and Cardiff, we've left ourselves vulnerable to any more bad runs, however less extreme compared to this current one.

And our next 6 league games do not look particularly fertile ground for building a decent run, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

We probably need to double our points tally to guarantee safety; a little less (say 21 points) might see us through.

That lower total could be 7 wins, or say 5 wins and 6 draws, all of which have to come from 19 remaining games.  

I think we're moving from 'need a bounce' into 'need a bout of playoff form' territory, if we're going to survive with any comfort. I just worry that by shedding so many point to fellow strugglers a la Forest and Cardiff, we've left ourselves vulnerable to any more bad runs, however less extreme compared to this current one.

And our next 6 league games do not look particularly fertile ground for building a decent run, unfortunately.

Ok, I didn't go into stats, but a modest revival should see us ok! But hopefully no more bad runs.....we have used up our community chest cards.

There is no way in hell this thread should still be going. If you're sitting at home Lee choosing between Netflix and UK Gold Only Fools old Episodes: We love you. You are the man. You did it. You made it. But it isn't working and most of us are tired of pitching up at your games and waiting for any sign of serious football. Time to go Lee. £100 for me today to see City.

6 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Ok, I didn't go into stats, but a modest revival should see us ok! But hopefully no more bad runs.....we have used up our community chest cards.

Yeah; the stats do not make good reading.

Average needed to avoid relegation (i.e. one point more than 22nd place) is 45 (rounding a decimal down), which should be realistic for us...  

Problem with that is we've only taken 16 points from the last 19 league games (back to Fulham away; halcyon days), so form is very much against us, as those previous 19 games don't even include us playing like of Newcastle or Norwich or Villa, all of whom we'll face again in the next 19.  

My hope is a new gaffer might see us quickly accumulate maybe 3-4 win (including some 'unexpected' ones against form teams), keep us out of the drop zone and improve confidence, then we'd have plenty of games to chase the points we'd need, and from a position of strength.

The big worry for me is the Rotherham game; I have written off us getting anything against Wednesday (LJ or no LJ), but we fail to get maximum points on Feb 4th, then I think we can expect a very tough spring, and possibly an even harder summer prepping for League One.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

There is no way in hell this thread should still be going. If you're sitting at home Lee choosing between Netflix and UK Gold Only Fools old Episodes: We love you. You are the man. You did it. You made it. But it isn't working and most of us are tired of pitching up at your games and waiting for any sign of serious football. Time to go Lee. £100 for me today to see City.

And that's the thing isn't it.

Fair play everyone that went today, my eldest phoned to say he was did I want to - I just couldn't face it. Not so long ago I went every game every week home and away.

It's not just the defeats, it's the manner of them.

Reading at home was the final straw for me - until then I had been very silent on here but after that he has to go.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

All of which is wishful thinking correct? For a moment there I thought you might know something!

4 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Ashton and Johnson seem to be best mates so he ain't going 

Sentiment does count for a lot, clearly that much is true, but to think that it will get in the way of making what is increasingly likely, né only, the correct decision is perhaps stretching it... isn't it? !

09.02am. LJ still in charge.

11.50 flight from Guernsey due to arrive at Bristol Airport. LJ was asked if he wanted to pick up Uncle Steve from arrivals. He said no, he'd see him later anyway.

SL having a nice cold beer in the departure lounge whilst emailing David Moyes and Gary Rowett. 

10 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Banter is fine, but there's a line.

Can we agree to keep it clean and avoid homophobic comments and abuse of mental illness? That would be a good start. 

Cheers.

Your moral stances would hold a little more weight if you didn't refer to people as 'Knuckle draggers'

:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

09.02am. LJ still in charge.

11.50 flight from Guernsey due to arrive at Bristol Airport. LJ was asked if he wanted to pick up Uncle Steve from arrivals. He said no, he'd see him later anyway.

SL having a nice cold beer in the departure lounge whilst emailing David Moyes and Gary Rowett. 

Surely he can get his chopper out and leave before 11.50

Archived