IGNORED

Lee Johnson Sack Watch (Merged, again and again)

And Its Smith

11 minutes ago, Alex#40 said:

I've seen the same including from a mate who I know is friendly with some City staff. But you're probably right "We have run out of muffins" to be announced shortly.

Is this bs, please, please be true! 

Dont get our hopes up falsely, I've never wanted a manager sacked more than LJ (nothing personal).

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

Is this bs, please, please be true! 

Dont get our hopes up falsely, I've never wanted a manager sacked more than LJ (nothing personal).

He's been right before but this is BIG so how much of this sort of info flows down through the club is anyone's guess. He said he's heard meeting yesterday, gone today. No news yet on coffee shop muffin stock.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

And the clock keeps ticking, each tick-tock seeming slightly louder than the last, reverberating in the deafening silence eminating from the club, as the sound rolls round the echo chamber of the OTIB forum.....

For whom the bell tolls at midday?

The clanging sound ringing out across the West Country will bring forth not happiness, but relief tinged with regret at another opportunity wasted, a team whose confidence has deserted them, and long-suffering supporters who are just hoping for any kind of upturn in fortunes.

Sorry I don't what came over me. It must have been reading all that Wilfred Owen war poetry as a schoolboy, in those dim distant years of 3 successive relegations and possible disappearance altogether. Never let it be said that City fans are fickle. We know really dark times when we see them...

16 minutes ago, daored said:

I'm saying its my view. I expect it will be a comment from the club. That squad is massively different from what he inherited from SC and in my opinion much stronger in depth and quality 

No doubt, but we've seen that squad spirit, confidence, familiarity, togetherness and fighting for each other can count for alot and that's all depreciated markedly under LJ. 

In reality, there's little point in having a stronger squad if you don't have the manager in place to get anything like the best out of them.

I hope the board can see they're largely wasting their money getting in more and 'better' players if the man in charge of selection, tactics and substitutions has shown he is inadequate however much money they throw at him.

A new man would be unfamiliar with most of the squad, old or new, so would wipe the slate clean and give every player equal opportunity to impress. He would have no baggage of fallouts with individuals, and of course wouldn't have developed his own favourites, so every player would be reinvigorated to impress him both in training and matches.

He would initially be tasked simply to keep City up this season, and with the squad already assembled at the disposal of a competent manager at this level we can all have renewed confidence the drop could be averted.

The RIGHT man being appointed - vitally important - would restore the battered confidence of the players and give the fanbase renewed hope so would be a boost to all aspects of the club making the looming relegation battle an immediately more winnable prospect.

If we carry on with LJ it looks increasingly like another ignominious relegation SO'D style and it's well nigh impossible to think the board aren't acutely aware of that reality this morning. 

14 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Totally agree. The silence is deafening. SL needs to say something. It may be viewed as the vote of confidence but to say nothing when we are on this run is a joke. Sack him or tell everyone he is here for the season no matter what. 

Mark Ashton recently did an interview saying what you'd expect him to say but also adding , menacingly for LJ , that this run cannot continue .

I would be staggered if MA has n't already sounded out a few candidates in the event that things don't improve sharply.

After all his job and reputation would  also be on the line in the event of relegation.

I find it strange that we were told one of the main points of our new club structure was that the head coach can be replaced without any upheaval to the structure. If this was the case what are they playing at? The coach is clearly being the weak link in the structure. 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Mark Ashton recently did an interview saying what you'd expect him to say but also adding , menacingly for LJ , that this run cannot continue .

I would be staggered if MA has n't already sounded out a few candidates in the event that things don't improve sharply.

After all his job and reputation would  also be on the line in the event of relegation.

But its the same old, same old coaching selection that has failed us in the past..

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I would go a step further - it's never actually been about the results for me, of course they make the problem ten times worse, but what has alarmed me is the poor quality of the football all season, the lack of attacking strategy, the fallibility of any instructions our players are given, and the almost universal regression and deterioration of all of squad as individuals - at the hands of someone who was appointed as "player improvement" Head Coach, not manager.

It's this. I only get to see us play a few times.  This season it's been Wigan on the opening day, Fulham in the League Cup, QPR away, and then the Cardiff and Brighton games on the TV.  I remember so few moments during those matches where I thought "Do you know what. We're actually alright at football." Yes there have been individual moments that have excited me - Tammy's introduction against Wigan, the comeback against Fulham, watching Magnusson do his very best as a one-man defence v QPR.  However, on the whole it's been depressing.

Trouble is I really want Johnson to be a success with Bristol City.  He's the kind of manager that I want this club to be associated with.  He's relatively well-spoken, and he is eager and willing to learn. Remember when he first came to the club and was talking about his visits to the NHS and the Army?  Then the story about how he persuaded Chelsea and Tammy to come down to little old Bristol City.  These modern and innovative methods are things that I really want us to nurture.  I want us to be spoken about as model club that is the pride of its city.

However, the football is poor and from what I see there is an obvious issue with the team's mental strength, that desire to compete that can veil a large gulf in talent - as we see in the FA Cup every now and then.  To me that seems to be the fault of the manager and coaching staff.  To get 0 points from Cardiff and Forest is awful.  I still believe our form will return, we're still only losing by a goal here or there...but maybe that small difference is just...just a question of some belief, some fire in the belly.  It hurts me to say it but I don't think Johnson is the man to ignite that in our players.

44 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Strange...must have been lookalikes of Steve and Jon I shared the lift with at Cardiff home then?

Sweet can we ask them for your box pictures then?

6 minutes ago, sodburyred said:

I find it strange that we were told one of the main points of our new club structure was that the head coach can be replaced without any upheaval to the structure. If this was the case what are they playing at? The coach is clearly being the weak link in the structure. 

Exactly this, great point sodbury. If it's 'the managers  responsibility is to do the signings and coach etc then it would be odd for example to do a transfer window, do your money then change 'the manager.' We don't just have a 'head coach' we have two assistants (1 of which is an extra resource) MA is a football man so rubber stamps the signings i believe thinking that the 'head coach' whoever he is,  should be able to do something the siginings and 'coach' them into the side. Problem is in a recent interview LJ was keen to stress that they are his signings (the latest ones) therefore it would appear LJ is more manager than coach and therein may lie the problem and it is indeed why we ain't sacked him yet. Muddled thinking at the top, says me you has just rambled on:clapping:

24 minutes ago, samo II said:

Connected thought; someone challenged me over a very simple stat yesterday regards points gain, but got me thinking - we've been touted as creating a large number of chances, but had anyone broken that down across time? i.e. I wonder how 'creative' (judged via the metric of shots on and off target) we have been game-by-game over this run?

Here you go..

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.43.01.png

As I've said a number of times on here this season, I don't believe the chances stats that are published for us or the idea we're best in the division at creating chances (stats say currently third). Yes we spiked heavily in the Rotherham and Fulham games and rightly so, but what concerns me is this is a stat that says nothing for the quality of the chance. Little or none of ours are six yard box opportunities, ours are speculative shots from outside the area. Just look at the goals we've scored in open play. Besides Tammy most are from outside the box.

@Olé @samo II I'll chuck this little nugget from Experimental 361 in as well.

2017-01-15-bristol-c

Basically we're a one man attacking threat.  Remember Cardiff when Bamba put Tammy in his pocket for 90 minutes and none of our players had any idea what to do? Basically its not the team creating threatening chances...its the team plus Tammy.  Take Tammy out, whether by injury, rest or quality defending, and you essentially reduce our goal-scoring threat to a very manageable level.

Full explanation of the graphic is here: https://experimental361.com/2017/01/16/attack-breakdowns-championship-16-jan-2017/

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@Olé @samo II I'll chuck this little nugget from Experimental 361 in as well.

2017-01-15-bristol-c

Basically we're a one man attacking threat.  Remember Cardiff when Bamba put Tammy in his pocket for 90 minutes and none of our players had any idea what to do? Basically its not the team creating threatening chances...its the team plus Tammy.  Take Tammy out, whether by injury, rest or quality defending, and you essentially reduce our goal-scoring threat to a very manageable level.

Full explanation of the graphic is here: https://experimental361.com/2017/01/16/attack-breakdowns-championship-16-jan-2017/

Even more so now Reid, Freeman and Tomlin are persona non grata.

56 minutes ago, samo II said:

And while I'm never happy when it involves someone losing their job, my hold out hope is that this is the case.

My only worry is that what is taking place is more along the lines of them discussing with LJ how to get out of it - unfortunately, I would be surprised if anyone inside the club will be as direct as @Oléhas above in pointing out that no matter hope much 'progress' is being made, we're going backward on the pitch, not just in results but performances.

Connected thought; someone challenged me over a very simple stat yesterday regards points gain, but got me thinking - we've been touted as creating a large number of chances, but had anyone broken that down across time? i.e. I wonder how 'creative' (judged via the metric of shots on and off target) we have been game-by-game over this run?  Purely for my own interest, but may do something on that when I get home, plus 'effectiveness', i.e. chances converted, to see how we've been doing across the season...

The answer will be depressingly obvious. Far too few shots on target. You don't usually score if you shoot wide - unless you are Brentford and deflects in off the arse of your own player!

38 minutes ago, sodburyred said:

Brilliant point. This has been bugging me for weeks sodburyred. I like this kind of set up which is why i can only conclude that LJ has been given extra slack because of his personal relationships with the lansdowns.

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Even more so now Reid, Freeman and Tomlin are persona non grata.

I don't have the stats but I would expect that those three were among the primary assist providers for Tammy's early season goal spree.  Leaving them out deprives us of goals and likely also assists.  Great.

40 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

From what Stockhausen is saying this morning it sounds as though LJ will be given up to the Rotherham game to turn things around. If we lose all those then I can only see one outcome.

Would be interested to know what "turn it around means". Lose against Sheffield but beat Rotherham? Win both?

With 4 of the 5 games after Rotherham being away to Villa, Newcastle, Derby and Leeds, giving LJ until Rotherham "to turn it around" would be, to put it kindly, a bad decision.

53 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

From what Stockhausen is saying this morning it sounds as though LJ will be given up to the Rotherham game to turn things around. If we lose all those then I can only see one outcome.

Given a pat on the back and told he has another 2 games to pull his socks up?

2 hours ago, Olé said:

I tend to agree - obviously stability and loyalty is commendable but I just don't understand what the club think will change over a longer term, as if something else in the recent short term is to blame. @ChippenhamRed recently posted a very clear list of ways in which there are no mitigating circumstances for this run that could excuse it away. He's right - the conditions are there for a manager to succeed, and we have one who is doing the total and utter opposite.

I would go a step further - it's never actually been about the results for me, of course they make the problem ten times worse, but what has alarmed me is the poor quality of the football all season, the lack of attacking strategy, the fallibility of any instructions our players are given, and the almost universal regression and deterioration of all of squad as individuals - at the hands of someone who was appointed as "player improvement" Head Coach, not manager.

It's not as though this is the work of a win-some, lose-some manager that divides opinion. This is an abysmally bad return on any measure of what someone with his claimed credentials should be affecting - it's not often you could say there are ZERO green shoots, but there really are zero. And now it has culminated in losing all these games, to teams who by and large were all bottom half of the form table (or league, or both) themselves. Dross beating dross.

It's ridiculous to believe persisting with this coach would deliver anything other than further advantage to all those teams around us in the division, for each week we continue to be setup and lead in such an amateurish, confusing manner. So yes, I also don't know what more needs to happen for him to be sacked or resign - I understand the thought process in persisting but I have no idea what SL or MA think is going to change with LJ's approach/return.

Finally, for a bit of levity, I posted a Championship table yesterday by spend (City 7th), and on Twitter it has been seized upon by 100's of Sheffield Wednesday fans to retweet and criticise their manager for the return given what they've spent. They've spent £1.5m less than us and are in sixth! I hope that puts things in perspective for those on here who say City fans are impatient or unsupportive of their managers - I think we're surprisingly docile to be honest.

With respect I disagree about the quality of football and attacking strategy, I saw a stat a couple of weeks ago we had created the most chances in this league.. so for me the problem is not being clinical enough and lack of composure

Also I think the quality of football has been good at times and bad others... what's been killing us is the number of individual errors which needs to be addressed

3 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

With respect I disagree about the quality of football and attacking strategy, I saw a stat a couple of weeks ago we had created the most chances in this league.. so for me the problem is not being clinical enough and lack of composure

Also I think the quality of football has been good at times and bad others... what's been killing us is the number of individual errors which needs to be addressed

Really you think that the time between the beginning of October and now has not been enough time to address such problems?, I think that you have just condemned the whole coaching set up, but in truth that view IMHO is a total cop out of the truth.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Really you think that the time between the beginning of October and now has not been enough time to address such problems?, I think that you have just condemned the whole coaching set up, but in truth that view IMHO is a total cop out of the truth.

It's really not a cop out of the truth at all. 

15 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

You missed my post further down this page where I commented on that for the nth time! Anyone who is reassured by this now legendary stat about chances created, is not watching the same team as me - Rotherham away yes, Fulham away yes. Otherwise I have no idea what constitutes a shot as we create only low probability chances, you certainly could not describe this City as a team that creates wave upon wave of attack - even at Ashton Gate.

People keep quoting this stat, then claiming we're missing lots of chances or are not clinical enough - how many one on ones have we missed? How many sitters have we all replayed on Youtube and howled about? Where are all these bloody chances we're missing? Why don't people trust what they see with their own eyes instead taking a stat-line and building a narrative about us being a good attacking team that is all over the opposition!?

My own hunch, mentioned before, is our chances total includes every time we try and thread a ball into Tammy through the middle and he has to take a snap shot or hold off a defender and take a 50-50 shot, or the occasions when we run out of options outside the box and have a hopeful punt (you know - the type that occasionally go in, Freeman v Ipswich, Tomlin at Cardiff). Our chances are certainly not the product of lots of assists/crosses into the box.

Archived