IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I really want him to come back and do well here but moaning in the Swedish press about us bringing in other strikers can't have done him any favours. 

Have you seen are reporters?  Doubt Swedish are any different. 

Engvall is not good enough for a team with ambition in the Championship and we should sell asap. He is still benefiting from the harder training in England but it is likely he will fade with the Swedish season. £750,000 with a 40 per cent sell on clause would be a fair deal. If not Gustav should be loaned out to Plymouth. Not Djurgården.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 06:00, BRISTOL86 said:

Given the Kodjia and Deidhiou deals it's strange to write off our chances of bringing in a player good enough to play for us from a foreign league on the basis on one failed deal (which still has time and potential to come good). 

The point under discussion was the strength of Sweden's domestic football. Not France's.

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

The point under discussion was the strength of Sweden's domestic football. Not France's.

It's no weaker than it ever has been and there's been plenty of good Swedish players. 

England produce shite players yet plenty of English people do well in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's no weaker than it ever has been and there's been plenty of good Swedish players. 

England produce shite players yet plenty of English people do well in the Championship. 

How can you say that?

Back in the day Malmo got to the European Cup final, when was the last Swedish team to do well in the Champions League, then?

How many Swedish players are regular current starters for Championship sides?

Your second point just makes absolutely no sense at all, people from the country that the league is in do ok in that league's second level, that is hardly a revelation, is it?

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How can you say that?

Back in the day Malmo got to the European Cup final, when was the last Swedish team to do well in the Champions League, then?

How many Swedish players are regular current starters for Championship sides?

Your second point just makes absolutely no sense at all, people from the country that the league is in do ok in that league's second level, that is hardly a revelation, is it?

And that's was the last time a Swede could be good at football?! Bizarre conclusion to draw!

The Scottish league is absolute dogshit yet plenty of Scottish players have done well in the Championship and Premier League. 

Pontus Jansson had an amazing season in the Championship and he was coached in Sweden. If you're good enough you're good enough, nationality is irrelevant.

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

And that's was the last time a Swede could be good at football?! Bizarre conclusion to draw!

The Scottish league is absolute dogshit yet plenty of Scottish players have done well in the Championship and Premier League. 

Pontus Jansson had an amazing season in the Championship and he was coached in Sweden. If you're good enough you're good enough, nationality is irrelevant.

to be fair we aren't in a position to say which league is stronger, Tommy is, and if he says that he isn't strong enough to play in the championship and we should sell to the swedish team then I'm inclined to believe him (if he posted it sober)

Just now, Monkeh said:

to be fair we aren't in a position to say which league is stronger, Tommy is, and if he says that he isn't strong enough to play in the championship and we should sell to the swedish team then I'm inclined to believe him (if he posted it sober)

Absolutely, I was just making the point that to say 'give up on Sweden as the league is shit' is a strange attitude. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely, I was just making the point that to say 'give up on Sweden as the league is shit' is a strange attitude. 

The league isn't as high standard but doesn't mean all the players are shit, I agree, but like our signings out of the scottish league in recent years, our view will be tainted by lack of success of said signings 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I knew this would come up.

Jansson spent 3 years in Italy before Leeds signed him. I think you'll find that had something to do with turning him into the excellent defender he is. 

No-one's saying every Swedish player is shit these days but the good ones tend to go abroad to develop and, if that's in England, to clubs higher up the food chain than BCFC.  

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I knew this would come up.

Jansson spent 3 years in Italy before Leeds signed him. I think you'll find that had something to do with turning him into the excellent defender he is. 

No-one's saying every Swedish player is shit these days but the good ones tend to go abroad to develop and, if that's in England, to clubs higher up the food chain than BCFC.  

He also spent several years in Sweden before Italy. So if an Italian club can spot potential, why shouldn't we bother scouting?

Everyone thought Tomlin would go to a bigger club. Everyone thought Tammy was too good to be here etc etc. If the scouting is good enough I imagine most Swedish players would bite your arm off to come to England, even if it is to us!

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Correction; Engvall is not yet back in Bristol to be accessed by the City medical tream. He is on holiday at his parents house on the island of Öland. He will travel to Bristol on Sunday and go with the team to T3 on Monday

I thought Oland was a country next to Belgium ? 

9 hours ago, Antman said:

If the people of Poland are called Poles why aren't the people of Holland called Holes?

Interesting thought. 

Monaco = Mones

Mozambique = Mozes

Congo = Cones

Tonga = Tones

and my personal favorite 

Wales = Cave dwelling troglodytes. 

I can feel a warning point coming on!

On 30/06/2017 at 15:46, BRISTOL86 said:

How many class as failures? I'd say very few. We could have Guardiola in charge and there will be transfers that don't work out. Many of the ones you listed were not recruited with a view to being in and around the first time so you simply can't say they haven't been a success. 

On that list I'd say one total failure (AM) and a couple who have fallen short of what was expected (LT, GON)

The rest either promising youngsters or made a good contribution to a fairly young and new squad. 

So , just as a start you think Ekstrand , Giefer and Engvall were / are all a success ?

Dio Girolamo will not make a first team player on what I've seen

On 30/06/2017 at 15:59, BRISTOL86 said:

I'd say Paterson had a good season after a run in the team and Taylor, Đurić, Cotterill, Hegeler all played their part. 

I think there's a good season ahead for most on that list, obviously barring the loanees who have returned. 

None of us know the deal with engvall and whether we're likely to see what he can or can't do, but I think LJs transfer business has been, on the whole, positive. Rome wasn't built in a day etc...

He's also openly admitted his mistake and that the balance wasn't quite right in terms of youth vs experience last summer. I expect all the young signings to have a better second season. 

Hegler - When was that ?

All in all a very 'rosy' take on our recruitment - we will see how many end up making a significant / sustained impact in our first team

Apart from Tammy , I'd only put (to date) Browning looking a good signing with O'Dowda and Taylor Moore , looking like they have potential to kick on 

Patterson did well in latter run but was an established Championship player and Hörður has potential to be a first team regular

Of the remaining foreign recruits I'm far from convinced any of them , except FD will end Up regarded as a success

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

A gulag of the mind, my friend! :fear: :whistle:

Have you any idea of the mental torture and anguish I endured, every time my post had to be passed by the censor? Inhuman!!

So publish and be damned young Aleksandr Hunt-Hertz. Freedom is not free!

Archived