IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Hardly a complete waste of time is it? OK so Gustav isn't playing, but Tinman is a scout, so he can run the rule over another 22+ players. I really don't understand why people decide to see the ******* negative all the time, you must have ulcers the size of saucers in your stomachs!

What, so we can spunk another 2 mill up the wall on someone nowhere near good enough? No thanks.

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not these days. Not ones interested in playing for us at any rate. The few good ones get snapped up by clubs higher up the food chain than BCFC.

Given the Kodjia and Deidhiou deals it's strange to write off our chances of bringing in a player good enough to play for us from a foreign league on the basis on one failed deal (which still has time and potential to come good). 

Makes me laugh that people are using these paper stories as fact, when actually they know even less than us in some cases!!!

See if he links up with the squad in Tenerife, see if he starts kicking on in our pre season, see if he can force his way into the team.

Fact is he's scoring regularly in the Swedish league. If he doesn't settle back here, we sell him on to someone in the Swedish league for what we bought him for, plus a sell on. 

We will not lose money on him either way.

13 minutes ago, Taz said:

Makes me laugh that people are using these paper stories as fact, when actually they know even less than us in some cases!!!

See if he links up with the squad in Tenerife, see if he starts kicking on in our pre season, see if he can force his way into the team.

Fact is he's scoring regularly in the Swedish league. If he doesn't settle back here, we sell him on to someone in the Swedish league for what we bought him for, plus a sell on. 

Can't see that happening. Think if we sell him this summer then it'll be at a loss. But I still don't get the big drama about him. As someone else pointed out - had a very similar season to Taylor Moore but no-one mentions about how badly he's been managed or what a failure his signing has been?

Be very interesting to see what happens in pre season. I was interested to see he's been 'liking' tweets from the other City players about pre season etc. 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Absolutely zero chance of that last bit happening. When he leaves we will take a considerable hit on what we paid.

As for "paper stories", it is Tinnion himself who said that he has gone to watch someone who isn't playing..

Like the "smokescreen" comment, too, seeing as he has announced what game he is watching!

33 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Lee needs to make decisions on this lad and quickly. Do we want him or not. If we do get him back and give him a chance. If not sell and get someone in. With duric. Seeming a bit injury prone we don't have much up front. 

good thing the season doesn't start for another month then and the transfer window doesn't shut for almost 2 months,

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely zero chance of that last bit happening. When he leaves we will take a considerable hit on what we paid.

As for "paper stories", it is Tinnion himself who said that he has gone to watch someone who isn't playing..

Like the "smokescreen" comment, too, seeing as he has announced what game he is watching!

I was actually referring to bits earlier in the thread regarding the papers, but ok. Didn't know anything about the Tinnion bit until after I posted the original comment either but never mind....

If he was to go to someone else in Sweden, where he has proved he can score goals,  then the buying club would have to pay what we wanted. Supply and demand - they want a goal scorer, we have one that can do it in that league.

5 hours ago, Taz said:

I was actually referring to bits earlier in the thread regarding the papers, but ok. Didn't know anything about the Tinnion bit until after I posted the original comment either but never mind....

If he was to go to someone else in Sweden, where he has proved he can score goals,  then the buying club would have to pay what we wanted. Supply and demand - they want a goal scorer, we have one that can do it in that league.

I don't think we'd get what we paid for him if we sold him back to Sweden, the money just isn't as abundent in the league.

We would end up making a profit with a sell on clause put in though.

Still, IMO, too early to be making decisions of "get rid, he's shit" most on here havent seen him play and most who have seemed to have liked the little that they saw.

8 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can't see that happening. Think if we sell him this summer then it'll be at a loss. But I still don't get the big drama about him. As someone else pointed out - had a very similar season to Taylor Moore but no-one mentions about how badly he's been managed or what a failure his signing has been?

Be very interesting to see what happens in pre season. I was interested to see he's been 'liking' tweets from the other City players about pre season etc. 

The difference is all important-attitude.

Moore was offered a chance of a loan & league football under his belt at Bury,went up there and got stuck in to the challenge.

And when Gus was offered a very similar opportunity to benefit from the experience/value of league games under his belt??...Nah,give that a miss.

10 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Moore was offered a chance of a loan & league football under his belt at Bury,went up there and got stuck in to the challenge.

And when Gus was offered a very similar opportunity to benefit from the experience/value of league games under his belt??...Nah,give that a miss.

The difficulty was that we needed to have enough strikers, and there was a hope that he might come good.  I think loaning a striker with international experience who cost a large fee to a lower division club was always going to be tricky - no surprise to me that when he was loaned out it was to a Swedish club.  At the end of the day the player has to acclimatise and earn his place, and there is only so much that a club can do.  I don't see that much more could have been done with Engvall last season, and I would be very surprised to see him back.  Maybe it's an argument for bringing back back a decent standard of reserve team football, or for 22-player matchday squads (which I favour).

17 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

That's not really true, though, is it? And it's most certainly not fair on Gus to suggest, in effect, that he was simply not interested in going on loan to an English First or Second Division club because of, as you suggest, indifference.

My understanding was that Gus wanted to put himself in the spotlight to get picked for the forthcoming U21 European Championships and felt his interests would be best served by playing in Sweden, where he went with the Club's blessing.   

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I know, but he could have just played league one and still gone surely. Or even get a loan to Sweden once the English season had finished. We should really have loaned him to league one in January for the remainder of the season. He didn't even play under 23 games. Very strange.

Allsvensken is a higher standard than League 1 and there would be a coach/scout of the Sweden U-21 teams there regularly watching other players as well. More chances for him to catch the eye of them and secure his place.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm sure it is a higher standard, but Engvall has played many Sweden under 21 games, so they know who he is and what he can offer. If he wants to make it in English football, he has to learn to play over here. League one might be more challenging in that its more physical than the Swedish league, even if the standard is worse.

So he should be picked regardless?

That kind of the selection policy (along with lack of a decent coaching structure) is why England are continuously crap.

A player in good form at in Allsvensken is going to be a better one to take than one in good form in League 1.

For me this is all a non-issue.

What would have been an issue is if he flatly refused to go out on any loan and didn't want to fight for his place in the team.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just saying that his development in adjusting to English football should come before an under 21 tournament. If he played well in league one and scored goals, then he would have been selected anyway and been in good form. He could also have been loaned to Sweden after half a season in league one.

Not entirely sure about that.

I believe the Swedish transfer window is at a very different time to ours.

Think it opens roughly next couple of weeks which would be completely at odds with us wanting him here for Tenerife.

@Garland-sweden @bristolcitysweden

@1891 B.C. Sweden (and any other Swedes)

Please correct me if I am wrong about the Swedish transfer window time.

He should've gone to a league 1 club simply because it would've been easier for everyone when pre-season came around. Plus it would've helped him get used to the English league's style of football. I appreciate him being worried about getting in the u21 squad but surely they'd have picked him if he was doing well in league 1 no?

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My understanding was that Gus wanted to put himself in the spotlight to get picked for the forthcoming U21 European Championships and felt his interests would be best served by playing in Sweden, where he went with the Club's blessing.   

So he clearly came to City expecting to play a major role rather than sit it out as "one for the future" otherwise he'd not have made the national squad. My take is the club didn't do due diligence in someone who clearly loves the English wage but not the environment.

If he was signed for the future then maybe it was lost in translation.

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not entirely sure about that.

I believe the Swedish transfer window is at a very different time to ours.

Think it opens roughly next couple of weeks which would be completely at odds with us wanting him here for Tenerife.

@Garland-sweden @bristolcitysweden

@1891 B.C. Sweden (and any other Swedes)

Please correct me if I am wrong about the Swedish transfer window time.

15th of July til 11th of August

Of course, could be that the kid just didn't settle in a foreign country and was happy to get back on home-soil.

Was having a chat with some friends on Sunday (both regular otib posters).  We discussed how the Engvall situation is perhaps something that we as City fans might need to become more familiar with, given our new recruitment philosophy under Mark Ashton.

It seems we are looking at bringing in highly-rated youngsters, sometimes on significant transfer fees, as players for us to develop.  This being the case, I think we need to get used to the idea that sometimes we will spunk a lot of cash on "highly-rated" youngsters who might not fulfill their potential.  It may even be that only 3 or 4 in every 10 we sign might actually be a success.  If this is the way SL wants to spend his money then so be it, we need to get used to it.

In this instance, our discussion ended with us all agreeing that if we are adopting this philosophy, then once we know if the kid is a bust then act quickly and offload him, rather than this mind-numbing is he/isn't he staying saga.

15 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Lee needs to make decisions on this lad and quickly. Do we want him or not. If we do get him back and give him a chance. If not sell and get someone in. With duric. Seeming a bit injury prone we don't have much up front. 

I agree he needs to make a decision quickly, but that could be that he thinks he has a chance, but still needs to develop...and perhaps another loan us the right thing.  I don't think we need to rush into transferring him.

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That's not really true, though, is it? And it's most certainly not fair on Gus to suggest, in effect, that he was simply not interested in going on loan to an English First or Second Division club because of, as you suggest, indifference.

Yep.

What if the club on offer was Cheltenham?

What if the club on offer played a completely different style not suited to Gustav or has a shit set up?

etc.

His value hasn't been harmed by 7 in 13, than going to somewhere and not doing well.  Di Girolamo went to Cheltenham and didn't play much...6 starts despite a hatrick.

I think we should be patient with him.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree he needs to make a decision quickly, but that could be that he thinks he has a chance, but still needs to develop...and perhaps another loan us the right thing.  I don't think we need to rush into transferring him.

Yep.

What if the club on offer was Cheltenham?

What if the club on offer played a completely different style not suited to Gustav or has a shit set up?

etc.

His value hasn't been harmed by 7 in 13, than going to somewhere and not doing well.  Di Girolamo went to Cheltenham and didn't play much...6 starts despite a hatrick.

I think we should be patient with him.

I really want him to come back and do well here but moaning in the Swedish press about us bringing in other strikers can't have done him any favours. 

Archived