IGNORED

Police "Kettling" at London Bridge

Nongazeuse

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

It was brilliant.  I must say I spend a lot of time in London on weekends and I could really get into watching Millwall.  Great crowd, great characters, great atmosphere.

Shame the game wasn't so one sided. Would have given the atmosphere a bit more edge. I can understand why people go there rather than the 'big' clubs. 

3 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I have known quieter!

i was pitch side for a bit, between millwall fans and city, learnt a whole new vocabulary!!! 

Strangely, so did I after walking back from the pitch to my seat !!!  They said rude things to me Julie !!  Mind you the response wasn't exactly

"Songs of Praise" stuff either.

9 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I have known quieter!

i was pitch side for a bit, between millwall fans and city, learnt a whole new vocabulary!!! 

Have to say though that generally they were all absolutely great and it was all good natured banter. I give as good as I get and had a great day out. Talking to them in the bar after and they all commented on my shirt and waving at the City end but not an ounce of malice but just all having a laugh. Loved every minute of it. At the end of the day its a game of football so why all end up fighting like idiots. Don't understand it.

35 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Saw an ambulance leave the area where our unconsious chap from the video above was - but who knows. 

It was a pretty mental mission imo - but fair play if they made the game and enjoyed themselves! 

As you say, suicide mission, a couple from the group even managed to get themselves nicked so a lot of hanging around for the mini-bus 12 although a few were more than happy to get themselves back on a late train to TM, not my idea of a day out anymore but got a bit of admiration for their “bottle”

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Have to say though that generally they were all absolutely great and it was all good natured banter. I give as good as I get and had a great day out. Talking to them in the bar after and they all commented on my shirt and waving at the City end but not an ounce of malice but just all having a laugh. Loved every minute of it. At the end of the day its a game of football so why all end up fighting like idiots. Don't understand it.

I agree I thought the millwall fans inside the stadium I met were very passionate, seemed to inspire the team as well, shame the game was so rubbish really .

I will even say it was less intimidating than the last time I policed there with rovers!! 

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I agree I thought the millwall fans inside the stadium I met were very passionate, seemed to inspire the team as well, shame the game was so rubbish really .

I will even say it was less intimidating than the last time I policed there with rovers!! 

As I said, they gave me a hard time throughout and I loudly questioned their parentage.  All done with a smile on our faces and nothing else. A great day out for me I must say. In the bar afterwards I got more compliments for having the guts to wear my shirt and very obviously showing my colours by waving at the City crowd than abuse. Respect all round. So much so the signed Millwall shirt they presented to me will get mounted in a frame and displayed proudly in my man cave.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

As I said, they gave me a hard time throughout and I loudly questioned their parentage.  All done with a smile on our faces and nothing else. A great day out for me I must say. In the bar afterwards I got more compliments for having the guts to wear my shirt and very obviously showing my colours by waving at the City crowd than abuse. Respect all round. So much so the signed Millwall shirt they presented to me will get mounted in a frame and displayed proudly in my man cave.

That is exactly how rival fans should be, banter , mild abuse then  A drink in the bar after the game

shame a small percentage from both sides  didn’t behave like you on Saturday . 

14 minutes ago, JulieH said:

That is exactly how rival fans should be, banter , mild abuse then  A drink in the bar after the game

shame a small percentage from both sides  didn’t behave like you on Saturday . 

My uncle, cousins and I (as well as other Millwall) fans discuss this every now and then; and whilst we wholeheartedly agree with you & wouldn't get involved ourselves, we tend to conclude that it's fine line - to generate a very partisan and passionate atmosphere at pretty much most games (even low key ones like you've highlighted v Bristol Rovers) you need that edge. 

An inner-city London club like Millwall can't be just a bit rough up to a point. It's all or nothing. Saying that, it's cooled off a lot in my opinion & as said, thought Saturday was pretty tame given the context of the match - but maybe, as some have already alluded too, that was because City put up such a poor show.

4 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

My uncle, cousins and I (as well as other Millwall) fans discuss this every now and then; and whilst we wholeheartedly agree with you & wouldn't get involved ourselves, we tend to conclude that it's fine line - to generate a very partisan and passionate atmosphere at pretty much most games (even low key ones like you've highlighted v Bristol Rovers) you need that edge. 

An inner-city London club like Millwall can't be just a bit rough up to a point. It's all or nothing. Saying that, it's cooled off a lot in my opinion & as said, thought Saturday was pretty tame given the context of the match - but maybe, as some have already alluded too, that was because City put up such a poor show.

It is indeed a fine line but I thought the atmosphere was very good Saturday, would have been better if the away team had scored but hopefully that will come in time!

when rovers played there they lost 5-0 , the ground was bouncing !! 

29 minutes ago, JulieH said:

It is indeed a fine line but I thought the atmosphere was very good Saturday, would have been better if the away team had scored but hopefully that will come in time!

when rovers played there they lost 5-0 , the ground was bouncing !! 

Yes, good game - although only 4-0, but probably seemed like 5! Rovers brought a good following that day - just over a 1,000.

2 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Yes, good game - although only 4-0, but probably seemed like 5! Rovers brought a good following that say - just over a 1,000.

Shirley, you’ve missed a zero off that figure. 

Point for me for being first to mention it. 

14 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I couldn' believe the noise they generated , for just 16,000 .They were pathetic at the gate though. 

I'm surprised - never known Wall to be 'pathetic' at an away match in all my years following them. And we brought over a 1,000. However,  I missed that one, so can't say otherwise. Just surprised. Never, ever heard us called that before - in fact more likely to hear 'Millwall only brought 500, but fuxk me they were loud'. Although it was a dull 0-0 wasnt it? 

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Shirley, you’ve missed a zero off that figure. 

Point for me for being first to mention it. 

I know you lot don't like them, but Rovers are always one of the better followings at The Den in terms of percentage of average home gate & noise. 

I don't wish to slag our own fans.

Took great numbers Saturday, nearly 2k was it, but it surprised me in some ways our relative lack of noise, and the numbers sat down.

My personal perception is that away fans tend to stand, to be loud and in the block I was in, for decent chunks, it was just not the case.

9 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

I know you lot don't like them, but Rovers are always one of the better followings at The Den in terms of percentage of average home gate & noise. 

Hmmm.... I was there last season and saw and heard barely a peep. 

CxEfzYeWQAEy7CD.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.717f3bd5027918a818137a6a114a3e0d.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

I'm surprised - never known Wall to be 'pathetic' at an away match in all my years following them. And we brought over a 1,000. However,  I missed that one, so can't say otherwise. Just surprised. Never, ever heard us called that before - in fact more likely to hear 'Millwall only brought 500, but fuxk me they were loud'. Although it was a dull 0-0 wasnt it? 

Yeah was a dire 0-0. 

If the trains were delayed it might likely have been the result of the neanderthal muppets who, like fish out of water, haven't a scooby how the world beyond BS3 functions. We were on the one but last train to get to kick off (anticipating the muppets would delay procedings later) and I very nearly had to 'leave my seat to have a word' given the drunken t***ers had forced the doors three times before an official intervened. Had the train been taken out of service I'd had put a few on them over the electrified rails without quibble. Instead of this pseudo reverence for the p***s that follow us it's about time the sensible majority held them to account. They certainly aren't clever, they're as funny as cancer and have sod all to do with the beautiful game. If all they're interested in is alcohol, drugs and fighting then hopefully the World Cup will be right up their street. Flights from Lulsgate and guaranteed returns via Royal Wootten Bassett.

Live in London myself. 20 minute walk from Canada Water to the ground, while on the way the old pubs which looked like they hadn't had a refurbishment for over 40 years were full of Millwall fans.The area of South Bermondsey is an absolute s***hole. Would not want to walk there at night that's for sure. On the other hand, it was like stepping back in time to the 70s. So it also had that nice element to it.

Like @BigTone said, I could happily travel to Millwall quite a lot if they were a few divisions lower to get my football fix. Close enough to the atmosphere and passion of old times.

3 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Live in London myself. 20 minute walk from Canada Water to the ground, while on the way the old pubs which looked like they hadn't had a refurbishment for over 40 years were full of Millwall fans.The area of South Bermondsey is an absolute s***hole. Would not want to walk there at night that's for sure. On the other hand, it was like stepping back in time to the 70s. So it also had that nice element to it.

Like @BigTone said, I could happily travel to Millwall quite a lot if they were a few divisions lower to get my football fix. Close enough to the atmosphere and passion of old times.

I'd rather watch Millwall than Arsenal for atmosphere if I lived in the London area for sure. Not even taking into account the ticket pricing either

Archived