IGNORED

Mo Eisa - NOW OFFICIALLY SIGNED (merged)

GrahamC

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

With Diedhiou out first 6 games can we afford to give a player a 'run of games' to prove if he is good enough? If a player has been with the club at least a year surely the club know whether is good enough to regularly challenge for starting place. People can argue that he's not had a chance but strikers need to seize any chance they have, and 1 goal in 18 championship apps last year doesn't look very impressive.

If we really are looking to push on from last year then we need to improve the strike force as we wont find a Bobby Reid scenario every year....

players can improve over time.......

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Dare I say , and with only two matches played, he's started to have a Reidesque preseason.

Are you watching Cardiff ?  

Beat me to it. People will say "Oh but it was only Bitton and Cheltenham". Yeah, remind me who we played last pre season when Reid started scoring?

There is a player there, one that can score goals at every level he's played at so far. The reason he hasn't scored consistently for us - no sustained run of games, largely due to him being damaged goods when we took him from the circus (literally - he wasn't fit compared to the rest of our squad). He has scored goals for us when he has played, both in the league and cups. Yes hes missed chances he probably shoukd have scored, but most steikera go through spells in their career - Harry Kane had one a little while ago! Give him a prolonged run of games, and I'm pretty sure he's the replacement for Reid. 

Oh and it would be so much sweeter if he did go on a run like Reid did. That lot said he was a £10m player. He could well be if he gets the games.....

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

players can improve over time.......

In the 18 months he's been here have you seen anything to show this thou? Are people just hoping he does well because it gets one over our neighbours, when in reality he's not shown anymore goal threat than Engvall

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

In the 18 months he's been here have you seen anything to show this thou? Are people just hoping he does well because it gets one over our neighbours, when in reality he's not shown anymore goal threat than Engvall

15 appearances last season, 6 as a sub........2 goals, 5 assists. You're talking out your backside

To be fair I didn't know his exact overall stats and understand majority were from bench, but in my original statement I said Championship apps, and im still pretty sure he didn't score more than 1 there. Im not the only one to believe he's not good enough, but I said that about Reid last year so gladly be proven wrong again.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Saying that - it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson tries to turn Eliasson into that player. He's quick, skillful, obviously plenty of potential to develop. I would be quite interested to see that if we're not able to get him consistent games at L1 level.

I saw your subsequent replies to other posters and I was going to say you perhaps only said this because he scored 2 last night!! ; thats OK though, or even if you have considered this view longer matters little. Lee may very well be thinking the same, especially now. Lets see.

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I saw your subsequent replies to other posters and I was going to say you perhaps only said this because he scored 2 last night!! ; thats OK though, or even if you have considered this view longer matters little. Lee may very well be thinking the same, especially now. Lets see.

I'd been thinking it might be an experiment Johnson might try prior to last night. I think Eliasson will probably go on loan, but if he's thinking of doing another Reid type experiment, Eliasson would be a logical candidate. Young enough so he can be developed, probably not a regular starter as a winger and obviously gifted. A bit like Reid last summer who wasn't going to break into our centre midfield.

15 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

you do realise we were playing in the championship last season don't you?

Yes.

Championship 18 matches, 1 goal & 0 assists

Cups 4 matches, 2 goals and 2 assists.

As I said before, im basing my thoughts purely on the Championship and that's why I feel he's not been good enough over the past 18months since we signed him to warrant a 'run of games' to prove his worth.

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

yes plenty the fact he's spent about 10 months of that injured doesn't help, he's never had a run of games,

what he has done when he's played is create space for others and pull defenses all over the shop, hard player to play against 

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

15 appearances last season, 6 as a sub........2 goals, 5 assists. You're talking out your backside

5 assists last season, are you sure?

Few the season before certainly when paired with Tammy but that seems very doubtful to me.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

5 assists last season, are you sure?

Few the season before certainly when paired with Tammy but that seems very doubtful to me.

my error, 5 the previous season. However, 3 goals and 5 assists in 13 starts over past two seasons is not "engvall-esque" as suggested by brad blit

7 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

my error, 5 the previous season. However, 3 goals and 5 assists in 13 starts over past two seasons is not "engvall-esque" as suggested by brad blit

Perhaps comparing him to Engvall is slightly unfair, I was more my point that if LJ felt Taylor was good enough then he might have been given more chances (even if he was injured for parts) over the past 18 months and I personally havnt seen enough from him when hes played to suggest that he can be the striker to realistically fire us up, which is ultimately our main aim.

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Yes.

Championship 18 matches, 1 goal & 0 assists

Cups 4 matches, 2 goals and 2 assists.

As I said before, im basing my thoughts purely on the Championship and that's why I feel he's not been good enough over the past 18months since we signed him to warrant a 'run of games' to prove his worth.

Think you are making some good points but disagree overall with the opinion Taylor is not good enough.

I think the the way he harasses his opponents is invaluable let alone the direct assists and assist of assists he will bring. The goal scoring ratio argument is valid on the face of it but when you break down the mins played , the opposing team form, the scenario of game management employed during his sub appearance's and the fact he has never been proper fit gives it a more balanced view IMO. Yes he has missed chances he really should of buried but a boost of confidence, sharpness , and playing time will have him banging in and or contributing to 15 goals plus next season. All just my opinion of course but I am looking forward to seeing a fully fit mt

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd been thinking it might be an experiment Johnson might try prior to last night. I think Eliasson will probably go on loan, but if he's thinking of doing another Reid type experiment, Eliasson would be a logical candidate. Young enough so he can be developed, probably not a regular starter as a winger and obviously gifted. A bit like Reid last summer who wasn't going to break into our centre midfield.

Agree with this mate. Eliasson is a similiar nippy, skillful player like Bobby

36 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Barry Fry says Peterborough’s offer was £1million, and that they’ve been told a Championship club are interested. 

I hope GJ tells him that whoever signs Eisa will get promoted ,that loads of other clubs are interested, that the chairman of Nottingham Forest has had a fried breakfast with him and that no club has met their valuation.

:devil:

50 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Could be interesting - wild speculation on my part though as no evidence to suggest we're planning anything like it.

I just think he's obviously really gifted, you can tell the management rate him by how they talk about him. Seems they don't think he's ready to start as a winger every week yet.

I love watching players like him - skillful, quick, unpredictable.. maybe trying him out in a new role could be the making of him.

We only got to see him a few times but his style reminded me of Neymar - you can definitely see the Brazillian in him!

Looking back at these old highlights below you can see his strengths - pace, skill, directness but also a final ball. Really hope he pushes on this year because if he does I think we have a really exciting player on our hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfc0McSZrl8

I am also pleased how we appear to be bringing in lots of players who will run at opponents with pace. We should be quite exciting on the counter attack with Watkins, Weimann, Adelukan, O'Dowda and Eliasson. Plenty of pace and direct running which is something I feel we've lacked in recent years. Height and power there too - Watkins and Adelukan are more typical of modern wide players with size and athleticism. Quite excited to see how we utilise them all.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I hope GJ tells him that whoever signs Eisa will get promoted ,that loads of other clubs are interested, that the chairman of Nottingham Forest has had a fried breakfast with him and that no club has met their valuation.

:devil:

...and that what Barry wants he doesn't always get!

Just a point on Matty Taylor that people hugely overlook - our upturn in form at the very end of 2016-17 (including winning at Brighton, a game in which he set up our goal) coincided with him playing up top in a 4-4-2. Having previously chopped and changed time and again, this was the template we adopted for the following season.

The way he played his particular role also set the benchmark for Bobby Reid, who then started in that position at the start of 2017-18 but was actually able to add the goals Taylor had been unable to in his seven or eight starts.

The key question mark over Taylor is not his overall play or even his finishing, but whether he can actually get into goalscoring positions having been involved in the build-up play.

If the answer is yes - and he'll need a full pre-season behind him and a run at the start of 2018-19 - he's a keeper.

4 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I personally think there is a hell of a player in there with Eliasson, but what made Bobby successful was not his skill- he always had that. It was the engine and the strength he developed. I'm not sure Eliasson has it in him to play with the physicality Bobby developed. We need to find a way to get the best out of him though, because I think he's scary talented

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Taylor played behind Tammy who I do not think was the easiest striker to play with. When you think target men Wilbs and Djuric never looked right with Tammy. And then Reid a bit deeper or Tomlin, neither worked well with Tammy. So it makes Taylor's performances even more impressive that season. And last season he barely got a game in his best position, which is behind a striker, as Bobby was pretty much always on the pitch. When Taylor did get a game behind Diedhiou he was exceptional. Really think he can contribute a lot this season.

Exceptional? Really?

He has had about 3 decent games, largely in The League Cup..

Also this 13 starts stat in the league ignores his other 19 sub appearances, some of which were half a game.

Neither his goal or assist tally is great and if we are relaying on him as a starter (my guess is not) we are in trouble.

What people tend to forget is that Matty missed pre season through injury last season. Any player will tell you that pre season is so important. If you miss a pre season and a couple of months at start of season it is very difficult to catch up fitness wise. I believe with a good full pre season behind him we will see the real Matty Taylor this time around. 

Archived