IGNORED

Mo Eisa - NOW OFFICIALLY SIGNED (merged)

GrahamC

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Marriott would be great, but he's incredibly expensive. We have a few young forwards granted, but Eisa is a step up in my opinion. I think Hinds, McCoulsky and Semyedo (spelling) are not ready just yet. I think Eisa could be with some polishing. 

The trouble is we need players to come in and do it now , if we brought Eisa in he would go straight back out on loan so it defeats the object really. We got the Scunthorpe winger in to 'polish up' we cant afford anymore like that too much of a gamble. We need championship quality now

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No offence intended but the topic of whether or not we've signed players from Cheltenham before or not is far less interesting that news on Eisa so please can we stop that now :whistle:

Really hope we can bring him in, think he would give us a really interesting blend of forwards with lots of different strikers. Can you confirm we're actually interested @Knighty?

As in prev messages on here they been looking at him for a while and have sent there findings off to top brass. My mate said he ticks all the boxes as a fox in the box kind of striker. Better than mclousky not as much as Tammy... it’s up to powers that be now weather he be worth. McGregor sounded cagey onmy tweet as if he knew Tuesday was a scouting mission. Could be that’s the day we decide? Nothing wrong with getting for a million or so and sending straight in loan for 6months.. who would thought Tammy would hit the ground running... the general thoughts are like Watkins n Tammy he is ready to hit the ground running... remember it’s nice to hear proper football fans views with there naked eye but city are now in the game of stats, body fat, positioning, attitude, speed, personality.... not just what u see in 90mins. As I said my mate has told them there views and it’s that he would be a better n cheaper option than marriot... marriot might not do anything n u lose money whereas Eisa is younger n more profitable option... again over to Ashton n Johnson now @Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, westonred said:

This guy is not championship standard yet and we dont need anymore for the future as we have some talented youngsters coming through and buying him will block their way.

Stick with Marriott he's ready now

Agree to a certain extent but we still need to sign players like him, I have seen him play and he is a real talent. GJ wants him to stay, so we buy and loan him back? 

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Agree to a certain extent but we still need to sign players like him, I have seen him play and he is a real talent. GJ wants him to stay, so we buy and loan him back? 

Yeah i aint got a problem with buying him at the right price and loaning him back but i wouldnt want him getting in the way of the progress of the young talent we already have

51 minutes ago, westonred said:

The trouble is we need players to come in and do it now , if we brought Eisa in he would go straight back out on loan so it defeats the object really. We got the Scunthorpe winger in to 'polish up' we cant afford anymore like that too much of a gamble. We need championship quality now

I think that is what Weimann has been brought in for.

Diedhiou, Djúric, Taylor and Weimann....and if we only play one true out and out striker, you start to bring Watkins and Paterson into the picture as the one to play off of the main man.

With one or more of Hinds, McCoulsky and Semenyo providing squad cover whilst Diedhiou is suspended in August, they can go on a late loan if need be.

If LJ thinks Eisa is a better cover than those 3 above (very likely), then bring him in and get him on the bench, ready to loan out at the end of August.  If he over-achieves / shows he’s ready now, then keep him in the squad.

I just can’t see Marriott happening now we’ve signed Weimann.  You don’t (imho) bring in Weimann to play centrally and then for, out £6m on someone else when you’ve already got the ideal foil for him in Diedhiou.  I do like the look of Marriott though, just not at £6m.

As above the only thing that complicates it for me is Diedhiou’s suspension.  Having said that, Taylor and Weimann could be right pests up front as a pair in August!

1 hour ago, Knighty said:

As in prev messages on here they been looking at him for a while and have sent there findings off to top brass. My mate said he ticks all the boxes as a fox in the box kind of striker. Better than mclousky not as much as Tammy... it’s up to powers that be now weather he be worth. McGregor sounded cagey onmy tweet as if he knew Tuesday was a scouting mission. Could be that’s the day we decide? Nothing wrong with getting for a million or so and sending straight in loan for 6months.. who would thought Tammy would hit the ground running... the general thoughts are like Watkins n Tammy he is ready to hit the ground running... remember it’s nice to hear proper football fans views with there naked eye but city are now in the game of stats, body fat, positioning, attitude, speed, personality.... not just what u see in 90mins. As I said my mate has told them there views and it’s that he would be a better n cheaper option than marriot... marriot might not do anything n u lose money whereas Eisa is younger n more profitable option... again over to Ashton n Johnson now @Phileas Fogg

Bugger.  That's my dreams dashed of ever playing for the City.

16 hours ago, Knighty said:

Surely daddy n son can come to an arrangement? Considering we loan them 2/3 players a season? Am I right in thinking we never brought off them directly?

Marlon Pack - as has been said. 

But more recently Cam Pring also bought from Cheltenham. 

On 07/07/2018 at 15:32, old_eastender said:

Agree, really don't want to see Eisa being snapped up by Brentford (like they did with Watkins) when it seems a relatively modest outlay would bring him to us - even we end up loaning him back out in League 1 to gain more experience.

Another one for the future then?; I am getting sick and tired of that.

On 07/07/2018 at 16:58, Davefevs said:

Taylor and Weimann could be right pests up front as a pair in August!

I hope so and perhaps Taylor will raise his game partnering Weimann and the two will benefit from each other. Taylor though, apart from sprinklings, has not offered anywhere near enough while having had a chance to shine at all levels for City.

44 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I hope so and perhaps Taylor will raise his game partnering Weimann and the two will benefit from each other. Taylor though, apart from sprinklings, has not offered anywhere near enough while having had a chance to shine at all levels for City.

Agree re taylor, seems a likeable lad, but im not convinced he has displayed any consistent aptitude for playing in the championship and scoring goals. Moving him on if at all possible should be done.

6 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Agree re taylor, seems a likeable lad, but im not convinced he has displayed any consistent aptitude for playing in the championship and scoring goals. Moving him on if at all possible should be done.

I’m not so sure about that personally. He deserves a chance. Full pre season. Fully fit. I think he will surprise people.  :fingerscrossed:

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm a big Taylor fan. In the right position in behind Famara we will see the best of him, like we did last season against Stoke. Very intelligent and hard working player. His movement is superb and will always get chances. If he can just improve his finishing this season then he could have a very good season for us. 

That’s the problem with Taylor, his finishing. If he could score some of those sitters he misses he’d be a decent striker!

43 minutes ago, swanker said:

That’s the problem with Taylor, his finishing. If he could score some of those sitters he misses he’d be a decent striker!

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Which is why he isn’t.

I have seen this with players in the past, sometimes they can try too hard. He obviously feels the pressure, especially being ex-gas. I get the impression that he is starting to relax a bit now, we might see a different side of him this season.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I think the blend of styles and experience we have in our attack allows us one younger player to develop. If we are going to loan out Hinds/McCoulsky/Semenyo or they simply aren't good enough yet then I think we could bring another in.

Taylor, Djuric, Weimann and Diedhiou are all proven - in that group we've got a poacher, one targetman, one pacey worker, one typical number 9. What we lack there is someone who thrives off playing on the shoulder of the last defender - a bit like Nakhi Wells or Dwight Gayle. I think Eisa could be that guy. He's not small either, he wouldn't get pushed around.

Saying that - it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson tries to turn Eliasson into that player. He's quick, skillful, obviously plenty of potential to develop. I would be quite interested to see that if we're not able to get him consistent games at L1 level.

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the blend of styles and experience we have in our attack allows us one younger player to develop. If we are going to loan out Hinds/McCoulsky/Semenyo or they simply aren't good enough yet then I think we could bring another in. Taylor, Djuric, Weimann and Diedhiou are all proven - in that group we've got a poacher, one targetman, one pacey worker, one typical number 9. What we lack there is someone who thrives off playing on the shoulder of the last defender - a bit like Nakhi Wells or Dwight Gayle. I think Eisa could be that guy. He's not small either, he wouldn't get pushed around.

Saying that - it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson tries to turn Eliasson into that player. He's quick, skillful, obviously plenty of potential to develop. I would be quite interested to see that if we're not able to get him consistent games at L1 level.

Your last paragraph interests me. Was watching on Sunday and he transformed once he started drifting inside. Almost a “CAM” type positions he was taking up and even though only Bitton, was very effective. The negative side is that he doesn’t seem to strike the ball cleanly when shooting very often. Maybe can be worked on and a confidence thing but is there. If we do deploy a lone striker then I think Eliasson could be as good as anyone playing behind the striker. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Your last paragraph interests me. Was watching on Sunday and he transformed once he started drifting inside. Almost a “CAM” type positions he was taking up and even though only Bitton, was very effective. The negative side is that he doesn’t seem to strike the ball cleanly when shooting very often. Maybe can be worked on and a confidence thing but is there. If we do deploy a lone striker then I think Eliasson could be as good as anyone playing behind the striker. 

He definitely can be developed. Would be intrigued to know whether that's in Johnson's thinking.

I just think after the Reid experiment last season, Johnson may try working what he's got rather than bringing someone else in. Eliasson is lightning quick, unpredictable and versatile - I could see him playing anywhere across the attack, whether as a striker, just behind or as a winger. 

That said, I have only seen him play a few times so difficult to say for sure. When I saw him you could see he had something about him, just perhaps not consistent, physical or confident enough to play regularly just yet. In hindsight it's a shame that Leko and Kent stalled his development a bit.

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the blend of styles and experience we have in our attack allows us one younger player to develop. If we are going to loan out Hinds/McCoulsky/Semenyo or they simply aren't good enough yet then I think we could bring another in.

Taylor, Djuric, Weimann and Diedhiou are all proven - in that group we've got a poacher, one targetman, one pacey worker, one typical number 9. What we lack there is someone who thrives off playing on the shoulder of the last defender - a bit like Nakhi Wells or Dwight Gayle. I think Eisa could be that guy. He's not small either, he wouldn't get pushed around.

It's the Village People!   :)

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Taylor needs one to fly in off his backside, get him up and running. Seen him net some lovely strikes for his previous club, there is a finisher in there

Dare I say , and with only two matches played, he's started to have a Reidesque preseason.

Are you watching Cardiff ?  

With Diedhiou out first 6 games can we afford to give a player a 'run of games' to prove if he is good enough? If a player has been with the club at least a year surely the club know whether is good enough to regularly challenge for starting place. People can argue that he's not had a chance but strikers need to seize any chance they have, and 1 goal in 18 championship apps last year doesn't look very impressive.

If we really are looking to push on from last year then we need to improve the strike force as we wont find a Bobby Reid scenario every year....

Archived