IGNORED

Predictable otib.......

Robbored

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

They don't contradict...one is a statement about LJ not being a good motivator...the other is a statement saying I don't think anyone could get more out of the squad... motivated or not...because of the whole club set up...

So LJ is not a good motivator.

AN Other could motivate the squad better.

But AN Other wouldn't get more out of the squad - due to the club set up.

After giving this some thought I will let you know if there is any possible way that I can agree with that. I don't expect to be back soon........

In answer...you can motivate as much as you like...coach as much as you like...but if the quality isn't there it finds its level.

The point I'm making is our squad...much of it is inexperienced.

It could be highly motivated by another...but because of lack of experience and quality at this level, it doesn't mean performances would massively improve from what we already have.

You could motivate me to run through brick walls for the club...but it doesn't mean we'd win more games...because I don't have the experience or quality at this level against other teams who do.

Our position reflects the whole structure of our club right now.

Until we get a squad of more experienced players, then it won't improve imo. Regardless of motivational skills from any other manager/ coach.

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

In answer...you can motivate as much as you like...coach as much as you like...but if the quality isn't there it finds its level.

It could be highly motivated by another...but because of lack of experience and quality at this level, it doesn't mean performances would massively improve from what we already have.

You could motivate me to run through brick walls for the club...but it doesn't mean we'd win more games...because I don't have the experience or quality at this level against other teams who do.

Until we get a squad of more experienced players, then it won't improve imo. Regardless of motivational skills from any other manager/ coach.

Can't say I agree with this one spudski. We've seen how this squad can play! 

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

You are not making sense in one post you are saying motivation is a problem and here it does not matter! 

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is it though?

You need a balance of course- we need more quality but it costs money that perhaps we don't have.

Experience though- I'd say there is a mix.

The squad as it stands:

Goalkeepers

• Fielding- Experienced
  • Maenpaa- Internationally capped, in 30's, but admittedly not huge experience of English football.
  • O'Leary- Patently inexperienced, wonder if he should have stayed in the side- let nobody down v Brentford and Hull and think he did a good job.

Defence

• Pisano- A bit part player yes, but has played in the top 2 divisions in Italy and over 30. Not inexperienced, except for English football.
  • Hunt- Fairly experienced Championship defender. 7th season at this level now.
  • Baker- 2 PL seasons where he played quite a lot, plus of course his 4th Championship season.
  • Kalas- Now in his 5th Championship season. Plays for Czech Republic from time to time also- shouldn't be classed as inexperienced yet still with room for growth.
  • Wright- 3 Championship seasons behind him before this, think he's been injured all season though?
  • Webster- Inexperienced I'll grant you- nonetheless developing well but I accept his lack of experience too.
  • Kelly- Clearly inexperienced, but a great prospect. Nonetheless inexperienced.
  • Da Silva- A good signing on loan, but as above.

Midfield

• Eliasson- I'd agree he's inexperienced.
  • O'Dowda- As above, though he is in his 3rd season at this level and has played 70 games for us.
  • Adelukan- Clearly inexperienced, totally raw in fact- at this level.
  • Watkins- Somewhere in the middle, it's his third season at this level- maybe not so experienced.
  • Smith- 4th season of Championship, think he had a bit of a grounding at Norwich too. Not inexperienced.
  • Pack- 4th season of Championship- his form isn't fantastic but nonetheless not so inexperienced.
  • Brownhill- He barely played at Preston at this level, but a regular with us and in his 3rd season now. Still young but not necessarily so inexperienced.
  • Hegeler- Played in Germany at Bundesliga II, Bundesliga and even a bit of CL. Can in no way be described as inexperienced.
  • Paterson- In his 6th Championship season and played a reasonable number of games. Not inexperienced.

Attack:

• Weimann. Played 4 seasons at Villa in PL (won't include his first season where he got the odd sub), played a variety of seasons at this level- Derby, Wolves and now us. Not inexperienced.
  • Diedhiou- Less experienced, but 31 games in the French top flight, and now his 2nd season here- doesn't he also play for Senegal at times? Not the most experienced, but not some novice either.
  • Taylor has been here- well he joined about halfway through the season so it's 2 and a half seasons by May. Yeah not so experienced for the level.
  • Eisa- Meteoric rise but patently inexperienced.

It's a mixed bag tbh. Don't think we have an abundance of properly inexperienced players though- mixed range sure, quite a few could fit into either category but an inexperienced squad as a whole? Unsure I see it. Think a different manager could get more out of quite a few players, perhaps devise a system to play to their strengths more maybe.

Spudski - have I got this right? .......you’re saying that no manager could motivate the players more effectively than LJ because he doesn’t  have the experienced players within his squad and that lack of experienced players is down to the way the club is set up?

If that’s right then it reflects on SLs strategy...

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spudski - have I got this right? .......you’re saying that no manager could motivate the players more effectively than LJ because he doesn’t  have the experienced players within his squad and that lack of experienced players is down to the way the club is set up?

More or less...the strategy is flawed because we develop players then look to sell them at profit. If we keep those developed together for seasons, then it could work.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Yes...but not on a consistent basis...they don't have the experience and quality imo, to do it every week.

Not without the proper motivation they don't! 

As you said "The majority of the young inexperienced players will need constant motivation and guidance...they have the ability...but carry doubt and inexperience.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

More or less...the strategy is flawed because we develop players then look to sell them at profit. If we keep those developed together for seasons, then it could work.

An excellent point Spudski and judging from some replies it’s lost on certain posters.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

If that's the case then subject to financial viability, we need to look again- sell yes...but not always. If we have a good year in development and financially in line and contracts a decent way into the distance then keep- keep for that year and go for it- as we did in January and last season. We stay down then yes sales will be needed, but that flexibility has to be built into the plan- either that or you need a significantly better scouting network- not knocking the club, appreciate what you have said about us coming from behind and speeding up development as we've had to play catchup- but our scouting capabilities still seem a bit too low to me, both in terms of quality and quantity.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In his posts he is saying that other Coaches are better motivators. 

Mindset drives performance.

Inexperienced or experienced there is an obvious point there.

If others can affect the players mindset more positively its quite obvious performances can  be affected. 

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is it though?

You need a balance of course- we need more quality but it costs money that perhaps we don't have.

Experience though- I'd say there is a mix.

The squad as it stands:

Goalkeepers

• Fielding- Experienced
  • Maenpaa- Internationally capped, in 30's, but admittedly not huge experience of English football.
  • O'Leary- Patently inexperienced, wonder if he should have stayed in the side- let nobody down v Brentford and Hull and think he did a good job.

Defence

• Pisano- A bit part player yes, but has played in the top 2 divisions in Italy and over 30. Not inexperienced, except for English football.
  • Hunt- Fairly experienced Championship defender. 7th season at this level now.
  • Baker- 2 PL seasons where he played quite a lot, plus of course his 4th Championship season.
  • Kalas- Now in his 5th Championship season. Plays for Czech Republic from time to time also- shouldn't be classed as inexperienced yet still with room for growth.
  • Wright- 3 Championship seasons behind him before this, think he's been injured all season though?
  • Webster- Inexperienced I'll grant you- nonetheless developing well but I accept his lack of experience too.
  • Kelly- Clearly inexperienced, but a great prospect. Nonetheless inexperienced.
  • Da Silva- A good signing on loan, but as above.

Midfield

• Eliasson- I'd agree he's inexperienced.
  • O'Dowda- As above, though he is in his 3rd season at this level and has played 70 games for us.
  • Adelukan- Clearly inexperienced, totally raw in fact- at this level.
  • Watkins- Somewhere in the middle, it's his third season at this level- maybe not so experienced.
  • Smith- 4th season of Championship, think he had a bit of a grounding at Norwich too. Not inexperienced.
  • Pack- 4th season of Championship- his form isn't fantastic but nonetheless not so inexperienced.
  • Brownhill- He barely played at Preston at this level, but a regular with us and in his 3rd season now. Still young but not necessarily so inexperienced.
  • Hegeler- Played in Germany at Bundesliga II, Bundesliga and even a bit of CL. Can in no way be described as inexperienced.
  • Paterson- In his 6th Championship season and played a reasonable number of games. Not inexperienced.

Attack:

• Weimann. Played 4 seasons at Villa in PL (won't include his first season where he got the odd sub), played a variety of seasons at this level- Derby, Wolves and now us. Not inexperienced.
  • Diedhiou- Less experienced, but 31 games in the French top flight, and now his 2nd season here- doesn't he also play for Senegal at times? Not the most experienced, but not some novice either.
  • Taylor has been here- well he joined about halfway through the season so it's 2 and a half seasons by May. Yeah not so experienced for the level.
  • Eisa- Meteoric rise but patently inexperienced.

It's a mixed bag tbh. Don't think we have an abundance of properly inexperienced players though- mixed range sure, quite a few could fit into either category but an inexperienced squad as a whole? Unsure I see it. Think a different manager could get more out of quite a few players, perhaps devise a system to play to their strengths more maybe.

To me that shouts massive inexperience to do anything better than we already are...mid table

It's a mid table squad.

People are asking for better results...imo, you need better quality, more experience to get that this season.

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

In his posts he is saying that other Coaches are better motivators. 

Mindset drives performance.

Inexperienced or experienced there is an obvious point there.

If others can affect the players mindset more positively its quite obvious performances can  be affected. 

Over a whole season...I doubt it. Experience and ability when motivated shines over inexperienced motivated.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

To me that shouts massive inexperience to do anything better than we already are...mid table

It's a mid table squad.

People are asking for better results...imo, you need better quality, more experience to get that this season.

You said

"I've said in previous posts that I feel LJs man management and leadership is poor imo."

You're telling us you don't think poor man management and poor leadership will effect the team's performance dramatically? 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

You said

"I've said in previous posts that I feel LJs man management and leadership is poor imo."

You're telling us you don't think poor man management and poor leadership will effect the team's performance dramatically? 

I'm saying that someone of LJ's coaching ability and better man management/motivation wouldn't make much difference...I've explained why in a previous post in this thread.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Over a whole season...I doubt it. Experience and ability when motivated shines over inexperienced motivated.

Which is why I mentioned inexperienced and experienced.

The point is the same.

Motivation is important for a week, a month a season. If your Coach is as poor as you are indicating Mr Johnson is at motivating HIS players to fit to HIS football I do not doubt it will affect performances, it must.

Confidence is a culture. A culture fostered and grown in players young and old.

You indicate that players may not respect Mr Johnson that is a coaching issue. Through the power of his message he gains their trust. Through his what is our style of play, through his why do we (WE) believe in this, through his this is how we will do this, this is how we will improve Coaches drive team confidence …  Gain respect. Motivate player.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm saying that someone of LJ's coaching ability and better man management/motivation wouldn't make much difference...I've explained why in a previous post in this thread.

Okay fair enough, can't say I agree though. 

I am rather enjoying the new excuses for LJ's poor managerial abilities though. "LJ in" people are starting to get creative ?

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a mid table squad.

Midable maybe though perhaps should have a few points more than we do.

Moreover though, it's the lack of signs of improvement, of consistency- of perhaps playing players in a position, giving them a proper run to build up chemistry and partnerships across the pitch- with experience gained and some tweaks that squad can do better next year IMO, though we will lose a few- but if we lose a few maybe we can fill some of the gaps, the squad players with a bit better and look to build more on what we have.

47 signings in 5 windows- and I accept that includes loan and youth- is a bit of a nonsense though. Impossible to build chemistry when that happens- can't be that cheap either.

His misuse of players, or at least failing to give them the best chance of success (thereby also hurting the team) though- I could go on but just a few examples:

• Kelly- Flipping him between LB and CB- not knocking Kelly, his versatility will stand him in great stead as he develops but with a talent like that let him pick a position and make it his own.
  • Hegeler- Now a lot on here will disagree but I think that- injuries clearly haven't helped- but I think that he showed good signs when he arrived. Put him in a midfield 3 or a role between the defence and midfield and he could have done well, and more importantly given the team something we lack at this time. Maybe too late now but it's what could have been.
  • Pack- Started season great- especially when we play in that midfield 3. He needs that, needs that extra number in there to get the best out of him- his form has declined and it hasn't helped the side either.
  • Paterson- This one is a lot more contentious I'll grant you. Stretching back to last season, I don't think he has been the same- and again illness played a role- since being taken off v Wolves post Fielding red card. Maybe it's a stretch to attribute his form to that in any way, simplistic also but I do wonder. Playing him in a variety of positions- another example of versatility being a strength and a weakness.
  • Diedhiou- Now he's clearly not been up to scratch this year, he's had some great moments, but flashes is all they have been However if you are going to play him then play to his strengths- a 4-3-3 with wingers and a variety of delivery maybe would do this and give him a proper chance to sink or swim in ideal conditions for him. If he still is well and truly below par then at least you've tried. He's our record signing too FWIW, so if LJ feels under pressure to play him then try and play him in a way that gets the best out of him- and more importantly will help the team.

Of those who departed.

• Magnússon- I remember one game and yes it was v Burton but Burton 16/17 were better than the side that went down last year. Magnússon made Championship team of the week- then was dropped next game v Norwich. Awful man-management.
  • Djuric- Now again injuries and appreciate he had specific strengths also, but I think he also had a bit more technical ability than we saw. In the sense of just lumping balls up to him because he is big- bit of a waste. Do that yes, but also a bit more to feet- think he had more technique than he showed or perhaps more appropriately was allowed to show last season especially.

This only scratches the surface- I wonder how many players would give LJ a glowing reference for their man-management in his time here? Admittedly Matthews was a waster and Tomlin no good, but don't think they were the norm.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Sorry but I'm not having that Spudski.

Typical starting 11:

Maenpaa - 33 years old played extensively in Hollland

Hunt - about 250 appearances mainly at Championship level

Webster - been playing for Portsmouth and Ipswich in the Championship since 2012

Baker - over 100 appearances for Aston Villa and nearly that many for us

Da Silva - 50 appearances in League One with Charlton and England under 21

Pack - 300 league appearances including in the Championship since 2016

Weimann - over 200 appearances for Villa, Derby, Watford and Wolves; Austrian international

Famara - well into his second Championship season following a successful period in France

Brownhill - 150 appearances for Preston and us since 2013 all in the Championship

Paterson - almost 300 league appearances mainly in the Championship with Notts Forest, Huddersfield and us

Eliason - probably the least experienced with 50 appearances in Sweden and 20 for us

Most of the players are in their mid 20's or older.

So now that I've proved we do have an experienced squad do you agree that a more capable manager would be getting more out of these players?

9 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Sorry but I'm not having that Spudski.

Typical starting 11:

Maenpaa - 33 years old played extensively in Hollland

Hunt - about 250 appearances mainly at Championship level

Webster - been playing for Portsmouth and Ipswich in the Championship since 2012

Baker - over 100 appearances for Aston Villa and nearly that many for us

Da Silva - 50 appearances in League One with Charlton and England under 21

Pack - 300 league appearances including in the Championship since 2016

Weimann - over 200 appearances for Villa, Derby, Watford and Wolves; Austrian international

Famara - well into his second Championship season following a successful period in France

Brownhill - 150 appearances for Preston and us since 2013 all in the Championship

Paterson - almost 300 league appearances mainly in the Championship with Notts Forest, Huddersfield and us

Eliason - probably the least experienced with 50 appearances in Sweden and 20 for us

Most of the players are in their mid 20's or older.

So now that I've proved we do have an experienced squad do you agree that a more capable manager would be getting more out of these players?

I said we don't have the experience and quality to be better than what we are. Put the average experienced players together with our inexperienced players and you imo...get a bang average mid table side.

So you haven't proved anything...as you pick a word or sentence rather than the whole sentiment in my posts to try and prove your point...which imo...is wrong.?

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

I said we don't have the experience and quality to be better than what we are. Put the average experienced players together with our inexperienced players and you imo...get a bang average mid table side.

So you haven't proved anything...as you pick a word or sentence rather than the whole sentiment in my posts to try and prove your point...which imo...is wrong.?

A typical starting line up is not inexperienced, so I think I have proved something.

You appear to be saying that the reason that we cannot get better results is that despite having a poor leader and man manager, a better one wouldn't improve results because the players are inexperienced. I don't know for sure though as you seem to say many different things at many different times.

There is a myth, which is perpetuated by LJ that we are a young and inexperienced team - that is palpably not the case.

Looking at the list posted by @NickJ only one of those players were not signed by LJ - and there is where part of the issue lies - recruitment has simply not worked.

We can go back to the budget question and in the main we cannot afford top level Championship players however, we are not picking up free transfers and L1 players.

If we are going to pick up youngsters with potential that we can benefit from and sell at a profit then we need to be able to improve them as players to achieve both of these aims..............

Sorry, but I don't see it , the resell value in NicksJ's list does not look significant.

And please don't bring up Bobby Reid - as someone said yesterday, his improvement was I suspect, partly LJ, but also a number of other factors - not least his summer boot camps!

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

There is a myth, which is perpetuated by LJ that we are a young and inexperienced team - that is palpably not the case.

Looking at the list posted by @NickJ only one of those players were not signed by LJ - and there is where part of the issue lies - recruitment has simply not worked.

We can go back to the budget question and in the main we cannot afford top level Championship players however, we are not picking up free transfers and L1 players.

If we are going to pick up youngsters with potential that we can benefit from and sell at a profit then we need to be able to improve them as players to achieve both of these aims..............

Sorry, but I don't see it , the resell value in NicksJ's list does not look significant.

And please don't bring up Bobby Reid - as someone said yesterday, his improvement was I suspect, partly LJ, but also a number of other factors - not least his summer boot camps!

Maybe he doesn't get the best out of what he has too- recruitment IMO Somewhere between 5 and 6 out of 10, Tactics and man-management  similar.

Need to be hitting at least 9/10 in all 3 areas, or 90%. Resale value now that's a whole separate issue- of our permanent players currently?  Webster, Kelly, Brownhill, Eliasson- and maybe if they were to recover good form/consistency there could be some in any of Baker, Paterson or Diedhiou. O'Dowda out of contract in the summer but possible he could have been another? Appreciate not all are in Nick J's lineup though.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

An excellent point Spudski and judging from some replies it’s lost on certain posters.

Dont think it is. Point being made v spudski is. Which is better inexperienced and experienced players coached by somebody who motivates them with clear direction or  inexperienced and experienced players led by somebody with neither?

51 minutes ago, NickJ said:

A typical starting line up is not inexperienced, so I think I have proved something.

You appear to be saying that the reason that we cannot get better results is that despite having a poor leader and man manager, a better one wouldn't improve results because the players are inexperienced. I don't know for sure though as you seem to say many different things at many different times.

I'm not sure how many times I need to explain this...as so many people can't seem to read posts correctly...and grasp the context.

We have a team of Experienced 'AVERAGE' quality pros and a bunch of younger inexperienced ones.

Pit those average quality pros...against Top Quality Pros in this division.

Now pit those average quality pros with inexperienced players against Top Quality pros.

Put our mainly average experienced pros together with inexperienced, and you are going to get a bang average squad.

As I said in a previous post...our defence imo...is experienced and better than average at this level...with a one off talent in young Kelly.

It's no wonder our goals conceded is 6th best.

The rest of the team has average ability at this level, with some experience mixed with inexperienced lads looking to develop.

Put all those ingredients together and you get a bang average side...that could end up anywhere between the play offs and just above relegation imo.

You can have vast amounts of experience...but if you haven't got the quality to be top 6...then you end up average. Which we are.

Whether you agree with it or not...does that now make sense?

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure how many times I need to explain this...as so many people can't seem to read posts correctly...and grasp the context.

We have a team of Experienced 'AVERAGE' quality pros and a bunch of younger inexperienced ones.

Pit those average quality pros...against Top Quality Pros in this division.

Now pit those average quality pros with inexperienced players against Top Quality pros.

Put our mainly average experienced pros together with inexperienced, and you are going to get a bang average squad.

As I said in a previous post...our defence imo...is experienced and better than average at this level...with a one off talent in young Kelly.

It's no wonder our goals conceded is 6th best.

The rest of the team has average ability at this level, with some experience mixed with inexperienced lads looking to develop.

Put all those ingredients together and you get a bang average side...that could end up anywhere between the play offs and just above relegation imo.

You can have vast amounts of experience...but if you haven't got the quality to be top 6...then you end up average. Which we are.

Whether you agree with it or not...does that now make sense?

It made some sense when I read your first post but I had to read it several times to fully understand it! Not the easiest post to grasp and why I checked that I had understood it.

You made some very perceptive observations of the current state at City and hopefully others will appreciate what you’re saying.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It made some sense when I read your first post but I had to read it several times to fully understand it! Not the easiest post to grasp and why I checked that I had understood it.

You made some very perceptive observations of the current state at City and hopefully others will appreciate what you’re saying.

Appreciate.

No.

And here is why.

If you accept that money is of huge part of where the points go.

That still leaves room for those running the show to show what they are made of

Tactics.

Motivation.

Sending the troops out bristling for the fight.

It has to make a difference.

There are bright lights and lights that are err a bit dimmer.  

If none of it mattered Bournemouth and that bright chap Howe wouldnt be up there.

@Spud..

People are getting it but it knocks them sideways.

Used to fight competitively.

When coaches put belief in your soul you can move mountains.

You find areas of that soul you did not know you had.

When they don't … You can go sideways … And worse.

Being Motivated conquers.

Motivated beat man Utd.

Made fans believe.

Lacking it does not.  

Lots of stats on this thread and I know stats can be twisted but I looked it up and was a bit surprised.......to me the only stat that really matters is the managers win percentage during his time at the club. Of our fairly recent managers ( not counting the short term incumbents ) top dog is Wilson with 47.35% then Cotterill with 45.69% then  LJ with 40.34% then his Dad with 40.17% - my surprise was that as at now LJ is ahead of GJ. As for the other figures Wilson has been there and done it but sadly not with us ! Make of it what you will but in a managerial career of over 150 matches a difference of 7% is only around 10 or 11 wins over three seasons !!

Archived