IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion v Bristol City Match Day 18

Septic Peg

8 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

We are conceding far too many this season didn't even realise we are joint top with Cardiff in the top half for goals conceded! 

The weird thing is, we always seem to be defending!

8 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Season Over... lets all make this result bigger then it was.... ?

West Brom at home are hard any time of season, lets not pretend we have the same players or ability to attract the same players on the huge wages... ( I could be wrong)

I think we haven't found our best team yet but also we haven't been able to replace Afobe within the squad , which is quite unlucky!

The objective is top 6. Johnson knows that and so do the fans. With two very tough games coming up the pressure could really start to build.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bouncebackability.  :ph34r:

It feels like Saturday is a big game now. One win in five, with ragged performances all round. And the risk of slipping down the table and losing the good will of the fans. 

We MUST bounce back!

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Maybe it isn't clever enough to just play your best players, who am I to argue with the experts

Indeed, I can understand why Eliasson doesn't play in a 3-5-2 but then considering he is our only creative outlet then frankly you have to change the system to fit him in. 

10 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Our do! 

Only thing I liked the look of tonight was the midfield three who were all disappointing.

Personally I thought a back 5 that included Bailey Wright and O’Dowda against probably the best side in the league had disaster written all over it!

Thought midfield 3, plus the Palmer and Weimann looked promising- on paper.

How would you have setup out of interest? Remember we are restricted with injuries- O'Dowda at LWB was 'brave' though...

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

My worry from tonight is not so much the result - already evident we are way off West Brom, Leeds, Fulham standards - it’s that we’re not very good. 

I knew we’re not very good upfront. The concern is now we don’t look very good anywhere - bar Bentley.

There were some shocking performances and individual errors. Even greater concern though is there’s no shape, style or substance to our play. 

A hopeless, hapless performance on and off the pitch. 

We need to get back to basics, stop trying to be clever and get in some solid, cohesive team performances. 

Tbh, it's worth a look at some of our metrics this season.

Average per game of <50% possession- not the be all and end all but an interesting starting point.

Chances conceded- we concede quite a few.

Chances converted- the rate was good with Afobe.

in terms of chance conversion and concession, I've long had a fear that we were outperforming these metrics. Again not decisive, injuries- constant, rolling injuries- playing a role. Especially Afobe but teams can't keep outperforming the baseline IMO.

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought midfield 3, plus the Palmer and Weimann looked promising- on paper.

How would you have setup out of interest? Remember we are restricted with injuries- O'Dowda at LWB was 'brave' though...

I’d have set up with a back four and packed the midfield so we could try and get some kind of foothold on the ball and try and have some decent possession in areas where it might turn into a chance. 

We were never going to go there and boss them / play them off the park but we needed quality out wide to counter them. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’d have set up with a back four and packed the midfield so we could try and get some kind of foothold on the ball and try and have some decent possession in areas where it might turn into a chance. 

We were never going to go there and boss them / play them off the park but we needed quality out wide to counter them. 

Yeah, agreed- a packed midfield may have made a difference. 4-4-2 I'd have had concerns about though!

The balance just seems always slightly wrong atm...we needed some quality to counter on them for sure.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, agreed- a packed midfield may have made a difference. 4-4-2 I'd have had concerns about though!

The balance just seems always slightly wrong atm...we needed some quality to counter on them for sure.

Absolutely and we just don’t have that quality in areas that matter.

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Truly embarrassing stats from Sky tonight regarding Eliasson's stats and his status being only 16th in line or something silly.

How long can this go on? Crazy.

And before anyone says "the system isn't right for him" why does he EVER play then and why bring him to the club in the first place?

Moved up to 14th most minutes now..

Ironically Diedhiou is 13th.

So our most creative player and best goalscorer don't even get in the first 11 (or 12) on average.  It's no wonder we hardly look like scoring.

West Brom have scored 4 against City in 4 of our last 5 visits to the Hawthorns.

It's a wonder we still sell so many tickets to W. Brom away, we all know what's going to happen.

Last night's result was completely predictable, although we have a right to expect our team to put up a far better showing.

Someone made a great point a day or two ago saying that when we lost Afobe we pretty much lost Palmer too, (I paraphrase). This is true I think as Palmer hasnt looked like striking up the same understanding with anyone else.

I’ve also been amongst those who have stated that Diedhiou isn’t the answer in this team, but finding myself thinking that in the last two games he has largely been the solution. 

Ellisson has shown he has more impact being a sub than a starter. Where has Massengo gone, yes he needed a rest as beginning to look jaded a few weeks ago but now he can’t get into the team. Ok maybe he would have been bullied last night but who wasn’t?

We haven’t looked like a team with many goals in us for ages, but now we look so loose at the back too. Bentley has been fantastic for us but is that two or three times he has chosen to come racing out and made it easier for an opposition player to score. I don’t like to criticise him I really don’t but either he has no confidence in his defence or he is making costly errors.

we seemed to have slipped back to not being able to create a single chance in some games now, no team gets promoted like that. At least have a go, we look scared and have the opposition licking their lips. 

27 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Doesn't make a team fantastic as I said OTT comment with respect.

Not exactly a fortess at WBA this season with a 100 % record is it. That might be argued as fantastic.

I just think they look a top top team at this level. We currently are not that. But we would have at least a chance if LJ picked the right team and tactics.

13 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

I know you want to defend City at all times, but you must see if you watched the game? that in every department we were second best.

We played no football tonight, never ever looked like opening them up with a slick passing move.

Apart from the standard Lee substations, winger crosses chance of a header at goal. after 5 mins that's all over.

The side tonight had one real creative player Palmer, ok he had a shit first half but leave him on, once he's off what's left?

I can't see this craving for this top striker in January making any difference. We are what we are a bang average mid table side.

Don't confuse challenging ridiculously over-the-top reactions and unbalanced, overtly negative opinions with "wanting to defend City at all times".  If you want to trawl through my posting history you'll find plenty of criticism up to and including calling for Johnson to go at one point.  And nothing I said last night defended the performance.

Don't get me wrong.........WBA were by far the better side......but the officials were again found wanting .   Second goal, the attackers are required to be at least a metre away from the wall, they were not, so despite the excellence of the strike, the goal should be disallowed.  Third goal, the attacker is clearly offside.  Fourth goal, once again  the attacker (Blonde Bombshell Charlie) is clearly in an offside position.  You may say i am clutching at straws, and without doubt WBA were far superior to us on the night.  But within the laws of the game ( and if this was a Premiership game, where the margin of a testicle produces offsides) three of the goals would not of stood?   Good point City .........well done!!  ?

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Don't get me wrong.........WBA were by far the better side......but the officials were again found wanting .   Second goal, the attackers are required to be at least a metre away from the wall, they were not, so despite the excellence of the strike, the goal should be disallowed.  Third goal, the attacker is clearly offside.  Fourth goal, once again  the attacker (Blonde Bombshell Charlie) is clearly in an offside position.  You may say i am clutching at straws, and without doubt WBA were far superior to us on the night.  But within the laws of the game ( and if this was a Premiership game, where the margin of a testicle produces offsides) three of the goals would not of stood?   Good point City .........well done!!  ?

If we use champions league var then 1st goal for them is over turnt for being to strong and pushing wright over we win 1-0 3 points 

5 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

would nogbag like to use the same logic to predict our result at Fulham? Maybe worth having a ton on it as he's so sure of the result

I guess you mean me. Quote me directly if you genuinely want a response to the above, otherwise I've no idea what you're talking about.

Archived