IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Gas harping on about attendances is boring, we averaged 12k when we were at the bottom of league 1 two years ago, a sellout at the mem wouldn't even get that! Wow they took 400 to Morecombe and we took 370 to burnley, maybe the fact that were used to playing these teams and they are enjoying all these new grounds in the fl has  something to do with it?

39 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

"Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool"

"Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

I think this beats a few quotes from poxxy managers in the non leagues :)

Believe it or not I was at that game and, yes, the atmosphere at the end was pretty awesome. Coming from behind to reach a play off final is as good as it gets.

But to put Polls quote into perspective, the atmosphere at Barca can be a bit flat at times. And he's probably never reffed at the Mem

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

I'm loving this; will be fascinating to see if we see these 'guests' again if/when we maintain our Championship status, and 'they' fail to get out of the basement.

We never saw much of them when they weren't in the playoffs and we were outside the relegation zone.  Always the way...

Yeah it's not like we get these deluded ***** on here every season is it.

Lets see if they come back on after they've lost their court appeal.

1 hour ago, Philgas said:

Who knows. . Maybe a derby next season !! 

Anything is possible Phil but there's a long way to go.  It's what makes us love and sometimes hate the game.

A couple of seasons ago when we were at the bottom of league 1 and you were looking comfortable in league 2 a Gas acquaintance was enjoying our struggles and said to me  'bring on the relegation'.  I took it with a smile as it's all part and parcel of being a football fan.

Anyway, sure enough, come the end of the season she got her relegation :shifty:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You got to love these basement dwellers coming on here after a few wins giving it the big un. Mind you i suppose they're doing ok , after all they've only been a league club a few months. :laughcont:

TBF I don't think anyone's actually mentioned that we're doing OK at the moment and err, you're not. Somebody has mentioned that there could be a Bristol Derby next season but personally, I don't believe it will happen.

FWIW I think there are at least 3 teams worse then city in the championship this season. As long as the crowd gets behind the players, you are more than capable of grinding out a couple of good results to lift you clear of trouble.

I have been an avid follower of NLBR and Basement Rovers topics but haven't posted regularly on OTIB for years. Those threads epitomise the rivalry between our clubs. Some genuinely witty banter that I might be tempted to engage in, and a lot of OTT blind hatred. Happens on our forum too as well as pubs and workplaces throughout the region.

I'm well past all that bullshit these days and I have more respect for a shed than a Bristolian who supports a prem side. Although I suspect most of you are glory hunters from Somerset who should be supporting Yeovil ...

• Like 5

Fate can be very unkind .... they have fluked a few wins against some basement teams recently ... and suddenly they start talking about promotion and local derbys.... but they seem to forget that they have the biggest match in their history coming up next month .... so how will they get on against the mighty Sainsbury's legal team?!

If they lose that one, then once Sainsbury's have had their pound of flesh ... and Wonga start knocking on the door wanting the keys to the Mem... the next time that there will be a City v Rovers match will be a friendly on the Downs out of sympathy for them!

cotswool-3739.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bluebeard said:

TBF I don't think anyone's actually mentioned that we're doing OK at the moment and err, you're not. Somebody has mentioned that there could be a Bristol Derby next season but personally, I don't believe it will happen.

FWIW I think there are at least 3 teams worse then city in the championship this season. As long as the crowd gets behind the players, you are more than capable of grinding out a couple of good results to lift you clear of trouble.

I have been an avid follower of NLBR and Basement Rovers topics but haven't posted regularly on OTIB for years. Those threads epitomise the rivalry between our clubs. Some genuinely witty banter that I might be tempted to engage in, and a lot of OTT blind hatred. Happens on our forum too as well as pubs and workplaces throughout the region.

I'm well past all that bullshit these days and I have more respect for a shed than a Bristolian who supports a prem side. Although I suspect most of you are glory hunters from Somerset who should be supporting Yeovil ...

Well i'm glad you've had a little bite and by the way i'm from Kingswood ( brought up not dragged). I do like the fact you think some City fans are glory hunters ha ha ha ha , after all we've had so much glory down the years.

Don't let the bitterness eat you up, it's not worth it.:laughcont::laughcont::laughcont:

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If you have 'always' been 'second fiddle' why do your fans constantly bang on about 1982 when we were in div 4 and skint? And I still cringe at the 10 league matches in a row when we just couldn't beat you (86 to 91).

Your lot seem to revel in the victim mentality and love to think your fans are more loyal and chose the underdog - 'oh we had to train at a chocolate factory, we were ragbag rovers, we had nothing, we were kicked out of Eastville, all City fans are bullies and have never suffered the hardships we have...'

But our fans were amazing when we hit rock bottom and you were comfortable in the divisions above. The Terry Cooper years will live long in the hearts of all who were there, true support, incredible backing. You weren't 'second fiddle' then but the pride in our team just oozed out of BS3. Still my fave period of supporting the boys. That 0-0 against Fulham with the most inexperienced team ever was amazing. We just felt lucky to still have a team to support.

And we won't forget you tried to steal Ashton Gate when we were at our lowest ebb....

I have seen this mentioned on numerous occasions, but I have no idea whether or not it is true and, if so, of the details.

Anybody able to explain/expand.

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have seen this mentioned on numerous occasions, but I have no idea whether or not it is true and, if so, of the details.

Anybody able to explain/expand.

From my vague memory at the time, when the banks finally pulled the rug from under our feet we were in real trouble and Roy Hodgson was in temporary charge.

The City Council came up with a sum of money to help us out but Rovers moaned like mad that they should get the same sum of money so the offer was withdrawn by the Council and then the Gas tried to buy our beloved home ground on the cheap knowing we were desperate.

Southampton and Ipswich rallied round to help us out by staging a friendly at The Gate and we kept all the gate receipts. A grand and appreciated gesture. But the Blue Few from north of the river just hovered around like vultures, true to form, picking at the carcass of our financial plight.

If I've got any of that wrong I apologise and I'd welcome anyone else's views to either agree with my recollections or correct them.

Cheers...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...just hovered around like vultures, true to form, picking at the carcass of our financial plight.

Ah well, we came through it - without their assistance.

Perhaps one day such a sentence may feature on their forums re their mortgagor.

Oh to be in debt to a billionaire fan 

Edited by Guest

Say what you want .. us going down and out of the league brought us together as it did when you hit that low in the old division 4 .. we both have passionate support and that's what really counts !! 

I teach martial arts keep fit etc and have great banter with my students and clients love it .. This Is Bristol. . Not 1 team 2 teams .. Both sets of fans co-exist and a lot of families are divided ..Husband / Wife etc etc .. When one of us is doing well or not so well there'll ALWAYS be banter .. some OTT some fun .. that's what makes us City/Rovers fans get going ... sod the Premier League fans who frown at us ... anyways at the moment we're doing well and you're not so think and say what you want. .. regards from a gas head ☺

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If you have 'always' been 'second fiddle' why do your fans constantly bang on about 1982 when we were in div 4 and skint? And I still cringe at the 10 league matches in a row when we just couldn't beat you (86 to 91).

Your lot seem to revel in the victim mentality and love to think your fans are more loyal and chose the underdog - 'oh we had to train at a chocolate factory, we were ragbag rovers, we had nothing, we were kicked out of Eastville, all City fans are bullies and have never suffered the hardships we have...'

But our fans were amazing when we hit rock bottom and you were comfortable in the divisions above. The Terry Cooper years will live long in the hearts of all who were there, true support, incredible backing. You weren't 'second fiddle' then but the pride in our team just oozed out of BS3. Still my fave period of supporting the boys. That 0-0 against Fulham with the most inexperienced team ever was amazing. We just felt lucky to still have a team to support.

And we won't forget you tried to steal Ashton Gate when we were at our lowest ebb....

I think it's more about the fact that BCFC closed down and rose from the ashes as BCFC 1982 during that period - although personally that's not something that I feel the need to "bang on about".

Both clubs find out who the true fans are when times are tough. I would guess that as you have the larger fanbase, you will logically retain a larger number of fans when the chips are down?  I say fair play to anybody who doesn't jump ship and become an armchair supporter of a premiership club. 

12 hours ago, Bullbag said:

The last couple of pages have been a good read, good banter and some decent posts from both Red and Blue.

We never expected to be doing so well,and has taken me anyway by surprise .. Can't understand why your gaffer hasn't had the balls to change a few things around !! Still a long way to go so who knows .

As we say KTF 

6 minutes ago, st andrews gas said:

Unfortunately, I see City staying up too (banter lads!)- we could well go up as well.

Whatever, I am pretty sure none of the gas would stoop so low as to paint the gates of Ashton Gate as I'm told some City idiots did (red obviously) recently at the mem...

Indeed, it's impossible to punch a horse if you're stooping. Anyway, I'm sure that if you'd been successful in stealing the ground in the 80s you'd have painted it...

11 minutes ago, st andrews gas said:

Unfortunately, I see City staying up too (banter lads!)- we could well go up as well.

Whatever, I am pretty sure none of the gas would stoop so low as to paint the gates of Ashton Gate as I'm told some City idiots did (red obviously) recently at the mem...

Who ******* cares. It's been dealt with move on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, st andrews gas said:

How low does one stoop to abuse someone based upon the colour of their skin? Ironic seeing as names on that gate would've fought against such bigotry! 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/08/bristol-rovers-action-fans-racially-abuse-jason-brown

Edited by Guest

On 30 December 2015 at 18:58, forevergas said:

Me too, I prefer the terraces to all seater stadiums and like supporting the underdog however I don't wish rovers to play second fiddle to city too much, just want two competitive Bristol clubs

You prefer pissing in outdoor urinals than state of the art sports bars, seating at a state of the art stadium than standing in the rain and shopping in a portacabin. Don't tell me you prefer gruel to a porterhouse at Peter Lugers.

The underdog thing is so boring, if we go down and you go up, you won't be underdogs like you weren't through the times of my youth, you will be on a level PLAYING field, the only thing that will remain the same is we will be better supported, in a better financial state, not the underdog just forever in our shadow.

As for two competitive clubs, you're a better man than me (as all gas heads are), I want your club dead and buried, finished and a thing of the past.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, st andrews gas said:

We all know you're the innocent family club mate, no need to tell us.