IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They owned it before the war and sold it to the greyhound company during the war (while people weren't looking), I believe several people were directors of both Company's. :whistle: 

The famous story was that Harry Dolman was invited to a board meeting with the idea of him becoming involved there, at that meeting they were discussing selling the ground and Dolman said this was short sighted. At the conclusion of the meeting, the then Chairman suggested that Harry should come to Ashton Gate as they were "more forward thinking"! The rest as they say is history. 

So that is twice they have had the chance to get future City owners involved and have blown it, Because of their short sighted greedy owners.

So how long have been the gift that keeps on giving anyway?

:rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

If only we could hold onto our best player(s) as well as you do :)

Oh dear, oh dear...! Whilst I’m sure you are saying that with your tongue firmly in your cheek - the simple fact that most Rovers fans won’t be able to see the difference and actually believe that it’s funny at our expense, is hilarious in itself..! 

Let alone the fact that we have since reinvested more this summer in championship proven replacements, than it would cost to buy your entire club, including your owner who could then be used as a butler to wait on Steve Lansdown, just goes to illustrate the bizzare pettiness of your reply. 

Mind The Gap..! 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Oh dear, oh dear...! Whilst I’m sure you are saying that with your tongue firmly in your cheek - the simple fact that most Rovers fans won’t be able to see the difference and actually believe that it’s funny at our expense, is hilarious in itself..! 

Let alone the fact that we have since reinvested more this summer in championship proven replacements, than it would cost to buy your entire club, including your owner who could then be used as a butler to wait on Steve Lansdown, just goes to illustrate the bizzare pettiness of your reply. 

Mind The Gap..! 

Let’s be honest, we can’t be thrilled with our transfers. Reid gone, journeymen Weimann in. Flint gone, promising youngster Webster in. Magnússon gone to play champions league, jack hunt (calamity as my brother who is a Wednesday fan says) in... eisa, promising but didn’t anyone say John akinde part 2.

to say we’re stronger this year would be criminal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Markred said:

Let’s be honest, we can’t be thrilled with our transfers. Reid gone, journeymen Weimann in. Flint gone, promising youngster Webster in. Magnússon gone to play champions league, jack hunt (calamity as my brother who is a Wednesday fan says) in... eisa, promising but didn’t anyone say John akinde part 2.

how the living **** is Weinman a journey man? we're only his 3rd club

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

journeyman
[ˈdʒəːnɪmən]

NOUN
  1. a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"
    synonyms: artisan · craftsperson · tradesman · tradesperson · 
  2. historical
    a trained worker who is employed by someone else.
    "a journeyman carpenter" · 
    synonyms: employee · member of staff · working man · 

Which means he more than capable for life in the championship, thats good enough for me.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Markred said:

I’m not sure about “thrilled” but I’m excited to see our new signings. I think they give us far more options and balance, rather than relying on Reid to carry all the offensive running and work load. 

I think overall we DO have stronger options now, even if we have lost 2 of our individual stars. 

Even if we’d signed Diony & Stern John, no Rovers fan would be in a position to mock..! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Markred said:

Let me guess, you probably thought WTF when Johnson stated he was going to play Bobby as a striker and no doubt, like most of us, thought what have we done when we signed a beanpole from Swindon who at 22 was playing non-league football, especially when his first few months were dreadful. Isn't hindsight great knowing we now made around £18million from them

Watkins - over 100 championship games, wales international

Webster- over 40 championship games, represented England at under levels

Weimann - over 230 championship/premier games, represented Austria at all levels

Hunt - over 100 championship games

Adelukan and Eisa - two of the hottest properties in the lower leagues. For balance, didn't someone say Ronaldo and Messi part 2?

• Like 2

Yeah I hope they prove to be great signings but at this stage I’m not thrilled. There all comfortable championship players but not ones I can see challenging for top end. Weimann has never impressed me, all fart no poo when I’ve seen him, Lampard wouldn’t of let him go if he thought he had enough to get them promotion. 

33 minutes ago, Markred said:

Oh look, this Saghead is back.

Webster is highly rated, plenty of Sheff Weds fans were disappointed to see Hunt go, Weimann is an experienced forward at Championship level and Eisa is tipped for good things....at £1.5 million, a gamble worth taking.

Marley Watkins is also a decent player and Abdelekun is an exciting prospect. 

Let’s see if you can replace your City supporting former star player in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

6 minutes ago, Markred said:

Yeah I hope they prove to be great signings but at this stage I’m not thrilled. There all comfortable championship players but not ones I can see challenging for top end. Weimann has never impressed me, all fart no poo when I’ve seen him, Lampard wouldn’t of let him go if he thought he had enough to get them promotion. 

What you mean the vastly experienced manager Frank Lampard who has been in the job 5 minutes.......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Losing heir goalkeeping coach and gas legend to mighty Swindon town as well,

that will go down well with the non leaguers

Development goalkeeper coach. He's moved into a role where he's now the first team GK coach at Swindon, and who can blame him? It's progress for him but we already have a first team GK coach.

3 hours ago, supercidered said:

They were struggling to score last year so must be even more thin on the ground for this season. Maybe they will try and get even more dodgy penalties this term. Anyway, f@ck em

Eh? We were the 7th highest scorers last season.

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

He may well have got a bit too comfortable where he is as basically gets no criticism. In his mind it may be a big risk to make a jump elsewhere, where it is doubtful he will be given plenty of time to develop what he wants unless he finds the right club. He would have been mad to go to Leeds when offered unless he wanted a quick pay day.

If he does go they will be in big trouble left with the people running the show, it seems he is the only one doing anything to keep them together.

DC definitely gets criticism. The thing is DC has and is continuing to do great things for us and so whilst we may not agree with some things he does, we trust him. He has earned that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

@Seventeen

I would be more concerned that you were the 7th highest with goals conceded 

I would be more concerned that promises made to Clarke when he signed his deal ( training ground, investment, new stadium progress and so on) haven't been kept meaning he could bugger off any time.

Luckily, I'm a City fan so couldn't give a monkeys chuff! :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would be more concerned that promises made to Clarke when he signed his deal ( training ground, investment, new stadium progress and so on) haven't been kept meaning he could bugger off any time.

I'd be more worried about the outstanding charge against the mem 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Hold on there SJ. I think you're forgetting the new family stand they are erecting that will increase their seating capacity by 341.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

DC definitely gets criticism. The thing is DC has and is continuing to do great things for us and so whilst we may not agree with some things he does, we trust him. He has earned that.

What I meant was he generally doesn't get criticism, the only people who will be criticising will be the complete clueless. Even our lot can see he has no money to spend on players, yet I expect the ones who criticise from your lot still believe he has a massive budget to spend (because you are billionaires and still getting a new ground) and it was all his fault why The Snake, Bodin and now Harrison have all gone.

A poor start next season and the daggers may come out from a few more, but he is on a lose lose as the board and fans will again expect him to do well with no cash to spend - unless they give him the Harrison pot to spend. I still wouldn't be surprised to just see him walk if nothing happens soon with all the promises, everyone surely has a breaking point.

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

Development goalkeeper coach. He's moved into a role where he's now the first team GK coach at Swindon, and who can blame him? It's progress for him but we already have a first team GK coach.

Eh? We were the 7th highest scorers last season.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

@Seventeen

I would be more concerned that you were the 7th highest with goals conceded 

Exactamon Phantom. Exactamon.

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Complete guess work here but yesterday it said on their twitter account. 

We can at last reveal the signing of ( the lad from Huddersfield ) 

Is it a case of not being able to sign him until harrison signed for Ipswich ? 

Is  their finances that bad ? 

Like I said , purely guess work . 

No. They were waiting to get some credit on their pay as you go mobile, before they could tweet it. 

• Haha 4

Some belting suggestions from the fewers for Harrison’s replacement...... wait for it.....

1- David McGoldrick (on verge of signing for Sheff Utd I believe)

2 - Yann Kermogant (getting on abit but still championship quality)

3 - Darren Bent :rofl2br:

Yet we are the ones who think we are something we are not, and target unrealistic signings re Gayle/Gray, these are what your manager classes as Waitrose signings (compeletely out of their reach) just the wages only will eat their entire transfer budget probably for the next 3 seasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Some belting suggestions from the fewers for Harrison’s replacement...... wait for it.....

1- David McGoldrick (on verge of signing for Sheff Utd I believe)

2 - Yann Kermogant (getting on abit but still championship quality)

3 - Darren Bent :rofl2br:

Yet we are the ones who think we are something we are not, and target unrealistic signings re Gayle/Gray, these are what your manager classes as Waitrose signings (compeletely out of their reach) just the wages only will eat their entire transfer budget probably for the next 3 seasons.

Why would Darren Bent want to leave playing for the likes of Burton, to go and sign for Rovers..?! :laughcont:

Mind The Gap! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would imagine that if Dopey doesn't get financial backing following that player sale, he'll be on the lookout for a new club, giving it the whole 'I've taken them as far as I can' argument.

He’s limited on the club’s that will appeal to him though. 

He only joined the Gas because of their misleading claim within their name, which he probably thought was a contract clause to keep him happy away from home. 

Poor Darrell must have been gutted when he realised that Bristol ROVERS wasn’t a promise..!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would imagine that if Dopey doesn't get financial backing following that player sale, he'll be on the lookout for a new club, giving it the whole 'I've taken them as far as I can' argument.

No ‘big’ club will touch Clarke, saying that most clubs are classed as big to that lot, as said previously he’s too comfortable there, when he does eventually leave it’ll be to someone like Barnsley.

2 minutes ago, Markred said:

A lot of gasheads I work with are laughing at the fact they got a fee for Harrison, said he wasn’t prolific at all, I don’t think he’s anywhere near there best player 

They were saying he was their best player before he signed for Ipswich though. Strange that :blink: