IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Cotterill would be a perfect match for The Gas. Put it this way, within football he isn't on many Christmas card lists and is largely loathed for having an attitude that betrays more about misplaced confidence in himself than any innate talent.

Have heard from people "in the game" too say that he is a "Marmite" type of guy. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

The beauty of this is that Cotts did not specifically slag them off. He made up a fictional team name and it’s them (and us) that made the cap fit them. 

Let's be honest he was referring to Bristol Rovers

53 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Interested to know where you heard this from....as I actually heard quite the opposite 

*See above

20 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What I don't get is the colony puchase. If WAQ and his mob were going to asset strip the sags, why buy the field in Almondsbury? Did they put that against the value of the Mem as well by any chance?

I can only assume that it was put forward by a well minded person and they (al Quadi's) thought, why not? It was worth a punt. Keeps the fans interested by stating they're building a new training ground and, they're likely to make money if they can waffle on for a few years to keep the mindless ones happy, then sell it with PP for housing as it doesn't meet their training requirements. These things take time mind, it's not all smoke and mirrors, especially if it's not from the club, it could be rumours.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not sure what's not entirely true and they have the rugby ground and the colony to show for it.. When you say spent, would you purchase something like a re sellable asset and say it's spent, as opposed to invested? Because the term spent, means it's gone. That is most certainly not the case as, any money gone from their accounts, has been secured against the assets, so is effectively still there and, in this case increasing in value.

For the benefit of Wally & family, not Rovers. They have safe guarded their input and if they call it in, then Rovers are finished. 

Unlike SL, who’s turned the majority of his input into shares, so never gets it back unless we make money. 

12 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

He was, in so much as they are “rag ass” & “Rovers”

If he’d really wanted to take the piss, he could have just said “this was Sheffield United we were playing, not someone like Bristol Rovers” 

Other people have quoted Rovers as a laughing stock in the not too distant past. 

Didn’t some Scottish manager, about 10 years ago say something like...”if they don’t pull their finger out and start performing, then they will be lucky to get a contract at Bristol Rovers”..?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Really are a special breed of people. 

Where were all these many billionaires before Weal and family bought the club. 

I'm getting worried now as I've got to got to Southmead later. I had better leave earlier to avoid the queue of £Billionaires fighting to get into the Mem. ;)

• Like 1

Some people should check their facts before spouting bollox shouldn't they?

As for Cotterill his success at Cheltenham was over 16 years ago and his Bristol City side included breaking their transfer record at the time to sign Agard (about 800k) and spending 500k on Luke Freeman. There were other significant deals too. I'm not as against his appointment as some, but he wouldn't be my choice.

I would have thought our transfer record at the time was still Maynard at £2.25M and didn't we get Freeman for not a lot as he was out of contract?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Really?

So why didn’t he say “This was Sheffield Utd, not Bristol Rovers”?

Instead he said “some Rag ass Rovers club”. It’s a made up name, I’ve heard Barry Fry use it long before Cotts arrived at City.

It is hilarious that they were so convinced it referred to them, shows what they think of their own club.

I don’t remember him ever mentioning Rovers let alone slag them off. It’s dicks like Dopey Darrell who have to resort to that sort of thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Cotterill would be a perfect match for The Gas. Put it this way, within football he isn't on many Christmas card lists and is largely loathed for having an attitude that betrays more about misplaced confidence in himself than any innate talent.

To his credit he gave us a season to remember (worryingly might do similar  for them,) only to undo all that work by letting his 'character' come to the fore. Only the desperate would offer him a route back post Birmingham.

Then Rovers it is .

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Some people should check their facts before spouting bollox shouldn't they?

As for Cotterill his success at Cheltenham was over 16 years ago and his Bristol City side included breaking their transfer record at the time to sign Agard (about 800k) and spending 500k on Luke Freeman. There were other significant deals too. I'm not as against his appointment as some, but he wouldn't be my choice.

I would have thought our transfer record at the time was still Maynard at £2.25M and didn't we get Freeman for not a lot as he was out of contract?

They`d have got away with it if it wasn`t for those pesky facts.

35 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Didn’t some Scottish manager, about 10 years ago say something like...”if they don’t pull their finger out and start performing, then they will be lucky to get a contract at Bristol Rovers”..?

That was David Murray - former owner and chairman of Rangers...and it got a fantastic headline in one of the red tops - something along the lines of “You lot aren’t even good enough for Bristol Rovers..”

• Like 3

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That was David Murray - former owner and chairman of Rangers...and it got a fantastic headline in one of the red tops - something along the lines of “You lot aren’t even good enough for Bristol Rovers..”

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

While Hollow-head’s bungling yokel comedy schtick might be considered mildly amusing in London or the frozen north it wouldn’t fool anyone in the South West, other than that I don’t believe he has much to offer. He’s a spent force, a yesterday’s man relying on former glories. I hope Wally gives him the gig, it’ll be like Shearer and NUFC all over again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Really?

So why didn’t he say “This was Sheffield Utd, not Bristol Rovers”?

Instead he said “some Rag ass Rovers club”. It’s a made up name, I’ve heard Barry Fry use it long before Cotts arrived at City.

It is hilarious that they were so convinced it referred to them, shows what they think of their own club.

I don’t remember him ever mentioning Rovers let alone slag them off. It’s dicks like Dopey Darrell who have to resort to that sort of thing.

Absolutely, ragass or reggedy ass Rovers is a well known phrase.

Fits them perfectly mind so I can see the confusion...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Pat Roach is slagging off Sunderland and Nev says “Aye, well they’re better than Bristol Rovers any day!”

Pat: “Too right they are, but City’s my team - always have been.”

Sadly he was pictured in an unspeakable shirt when the series was resurrected in the 2000s, but I think that’s what they call a continuity error.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

In Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Pat Roach is slagging off Sunderland and Nev says “Aye, well they’re better than Bristol Rovers any day!”

Sadly he was pictured in an unspeakable shirt when the series was resurrected in the 2000s, but I think that’s what they call a continuity error.

6 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Yep, an unforgivable error...why would Nev have defended Sunderland though as he was a Newcastle fan?!

37 minutes ago, Judah_Eskendar_Tafar said:

While Hollow-head’s bungling yokel comedy schtick might be considered mildly amusing in London or the frozen north it wouldn’t fool anyone in the South West, other than that I don’t believe he has much to offer. He’s a spent force, a yesterday’s man relying on former glories. I hope Wally gives him the gig, it’ll be like Shearer and NUFC all over again.

Oh, if Holloway took them down, how sweet would that be? :clap:

Stuff Christmas, that would be much better.

• Like 1