IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Sam Frost, the North Korean post reporter gave 7 of the blue few players today 7/10, for a draw at home to a team that hasn’t won all season, goodness knows what the marks would be if they’d won, 11/10?

Worth pointing out too they have now played all of the bottom 3. Forest Green have gained 3/4 of their points this season against them & they beat bottom side Burton who played with 10 men for 89 minutes & who only have one point all season.

Looks far more like a season of struggle than “coming for us”.

Their opponents today had scored a total of 2 , it might have been 3 , goals in the last 7 games 

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sam Frost, the North Korean post reporter gave 7 of the blue few players today 7/10, for a draw at home to a team that hasn’t won all season, goodness knows what the marks would be if they’d won, 11/10?

Worth pointing out too they have now played all of the bottom 3. Forest Green have gained 3/4 of their points this season against them & they beat bottom side Burton who played with 10 men for 89 minutes & who only have one point all season.

Looks far more like a season of struggle than “coming for us”.

He seems truly awful. We were very lucky with Gregor who’s a very good journalist, and was able to look at things subjectively. Similar with Rich now. 

Some of the stuff I see Frost post/tweet is insane. 

2 hours ago, Seventeen said:

Guys won about 4 games in 30 for us at League One level. We were awful until our Jan loans last season and one of them is now getting game time regularly at money bags Newcastle and the other is apparently Stokes best CB according to them, so we struck gold with that! 

Guys an idiot and a terrible manager without players from his mates who are far too good for certain leagues, and for some reason a percentage of our fan base act like he’s the greatest manager in existence who can do no wrong. 

This is what’s really surprised me. Any normal fan base would be concerned that you got promoted because of, and are still now heavily reliant on, loan players. 

All transfer window you seem to have just relied on it again. All it does is kick the can down the road. As you say, it speaks volumes that Taylor and Anderson are levels above now & everyone could see it coming. 

We struck gold with Tammy in 2016/17, we would’ve gone down without him without a doubt. But look what happened when he left… we had to fork out £5.4m on Diedhiou to ‘replace’ his impact & plug the gaps. 

No manager or team can ever properly grow being so reliant on the model Barton seems to be focused on. And then he comes out with such insane claims. Maybe he’s compensating…?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

This is what’s really surprised me. Any normal fan base would be concerned that you got promoted because of, and are still now heavily reliant on, loan players. 

All transfer window you seem to have just relied on it again. All it does is kick the can down the road. As you say, it speaks volumes that Taylor and Anderson are levels above now & everyone could see it coming. 

We struck gold with Tammy in 2016/17, we would’ve gone down without him without a doubt. But look what happened when he left… we had to fork out £5.4m on Diedhiou to ‘replace’ his impact & plug the gaps. 

No manager or team can ever properly grow being so reliant on the model Barton seems to be focused on. And then he comes out with such insane claims. Maybe he’s compensating…?

Agreed, it's a weird short term philosophy which promotes no growth or longevity. If anything it's counter productive as it restricts the first team exposure of their own youngsters coming through. 

Let em carry on then... ?

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Short time it can be successful as shown with clubs like Yeovil, Burton and Wycombe who have hit the Championship with loans but never built on it. I guess the plan would be to hit the Championship with a loan army and then try to build on that but we’re already having issues trying to replace the loans from last year as mentioned so it doesn’t seem the right path.

And as mentioned, I just don’t think he’s a good manager. Never will be until he sorts his ego out. 

Edited by Seventeen

36 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

They just said on the elf highlights that wife beater barton was upset that top clubs won’t loan out their youngsters . Wonder why that is  . He probably said whilst lighting a cigar 

Yeah such a shame that all the premier league teams have sent out players on loan to the football league (mainly to the championship). I mean it's like the club's want their youngsters playing at the highest level possible that isn't the premier league to get some experience.

I mean who sanctioned all those moves and why weren't Bristol Rovers involved in any of the deals!

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Do you get annoyed by his excuses. It frustrates I get that. We’ve had to deal with it , especially against warnocks teams However, it’s part of the game, shithousing your way to a away win or draw. There’s no right or wrong way to play football

Yes, sometimes his interviews are annoying, although I think he's toned down a bit to what he was at times last season.  Some teams win "ugly", although I thought Morecombe actually came for a game today, I didn't think their time wasting was any worse than other teams who've taken a lead, or want to hold on to a draw - I think there was more focus on it because of Shrewsbury's antics the week before.  

Under Coughlan we were winning, but playing ugly football, although our position in the table was good, it became tedious to watch, week after week. I guess teams have to play the best style for the resources they have at their disposal, and you have to accept the rough with the smooth.

55 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

They just said on the elf highlights that wife beater barton was upset that top clubs won’t loan out their youngsters . Wonder why that is  . He probably said whilst lighting a cigar 

They don't loan many out before January, due to having to field a young side in the EFL Trophy - which they shouldn't be playing in anyway. 

1 minute ago, In the Net said:

Yes, sometimes his interviews are annoying, although I think he's toned down a bit to what he was at times last season.  Some teams win "ugly", although I thought Morecombe actually came for a game today, I didn't think their time wasting was any worse than other teams who've taken a lead, or want to hold on to a draw - I think there was more focus on it because of Shrewsbury's antics the week before.  

Under Coughlan we were winning, but playing ugly football, although our position in the table was good, it became tedious to watch, week after week. I guess teams have to play the best style for the resources they have at their disposal, and you have to accept the rough with the smooth.

100% that’s why I mentioned warnock . He came to Ashton gate with a Rotherham team that were effectively dead & buried , he kept them up some how . The way they played against us that day made you’re blood pressure go through the roof . Time wasting from the first minute , but they got a draw & they stayed up . You need to do what it takes to survive 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

He seems truly awful. We were very lucky with Gregor who’s a very good journalist, and was able to look at things subjectively. Similar with Rich now. 

Some of the stuff I see Frost post/tweet is insane. 

I know what you mean - sometimes it's like he's on the payroll.  Bring back Peter Godsiff and Robin Perry! 

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Is that one of those programmes on the "special interest" channels that are usually on the higher end of the channel numbers on the sky box?

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Bloke on EFL seemed to take the pee a bit about Bartons 20 minute monologue, and then his moan about the loans.

How can any club build any type of sustainable future with loads of loans? Every season you make no decent sales, you don't play your own youngsters and let them gain crucial experience (future sales). Then the loan players go back and you are back to square one. How do you even take momentum into the next season or build anything longterm? I have nothing against loans at all, but why would you want to use loans to the max? That's even including telling fans you are reigning your owner in with him wanting to spend a fortune on players, how anyone falls for that nonsense I don't know.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Bloke on EFL seemed to take the pee a bit about Bartons 20 minute monologue, and then his moan about the loans.

How can any club build any type of sustainable future with loads of loans? Every season you make no decent sales, you don't play your own youngsters and let them gain crucial experience (future sales). Then the loan players go back and you are back to square one. How do you even take momentum into the next season or build anything longterm? I have nothing against loans at all, but why would you want to use loans to the max? That's even including telling fans you are reigning your owner in with him wanting to spend a fortune on players, how anyone falls for that nonsense I don't know.

Loans are important, our young players have benefitted from them, and we would have been lost without a season of Tammy, but like you say, you can't build a club on it.

Joey seems to want the Fewers to be a feeder club for Championship and Premiership clubs. Which must frustrate the supporters if all they get to see is the talent being developed by other academies possibly blocking the path for their own players.

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Compare that to our 22k home fans against Sunderland on the first day of the season, with a similar ticket price offer (£15 to £10). 

Mind the chasm...

24k wasn't it?

First time on RB yesterday that he started talking about "managing expection", and that "they only need 4 teams to be worse than them in the division, and staying up was the main priority".

Certainly feels a long time ago now, since his "We're coming to get you City" speech, allied to their fans saying only 4/5 places between us (albeit completely different leagues).

Reality has struck for JB a bit now. He could learn a bit from NP about not getting too carried away after wins against teams like Burton & Oxford. That would balance it out more around the difficult home draws.

A more measured approach would mean his bipolar management style (Trevor Clarke anyone) is taken a bit more seriously.

• Like 2