IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

5 minutes ago, daored said:

To be fair it says more about our club than Ipswich. Ashton was allowed free rein to appear to do what he wanted, but ultimately the buck stops at the top. Ashton is unlikely to have signed the cheques but is likely to have requested the money spent. Every manager wants two or three more players , Johnson was very quick every transfer window to state it ,Ashton would no doubt go to the board that these players would see us over the line and the Lanswdowns would sign off the expenditure. The bulk of the blame is with our ownership , unlike Ipswich we asked no questions or challenges 

He's not changed...

14h ago 19:42

Johnson vows to clear out 'dead wood' at Hibernian

Lee Johnson admits he is "sick to death of the mediocrity" at Hibernian after they succumbed to a 3-0 defeat away to city rivals Hearts.

It was a ninth defeat in 11 Scottish Premiership games for Hibs and an eighth Edinburgh derby in a row without victory, and Johnson, who took over as manager in the summer, has vowed to clear out the "dead wood" within his squad.

"The ball was like a hot potato and to be honest I'm sick to death of the mediocrity. We need to move players out in January.

"This is a wonderful club full of potential, with a great fanbase, good training base and a brilliant stadium and it deserves more. We need to make way better decisions all over the place because today showed exactly where we are.

"We need outs. The outs are as important as the ins. Again the mediocrity we have got - I'm just being honest now. I'm in a place where I have to come out swinging. I'm not disrespecting players, but decisions have not been good enough (on recruitment) and we need to be better.

"We can't keep being average at best. For a club like this, it's just not good enough. Everyone needs to tell themselves some home truths. It feels like a big club because of the media, the scrutiny, we are in Edinburgh, there's two clubs in Edinburgh.

"But act like a big player then within a big club and have that bottle to go and produce, not just in training but in games."

"We have got to do more, and part of that is a revolution now, not just an evolution.

"I think the actual revolution is about getting the dead wood out and increasing the quality."

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, daored said:

To be fair it says more about our club than Ipswich. Ashton was allowed free rein to appear to do what he wanted, but ultimately the buck stops at the top. Ashton is unlikely to have signed the cheques but is likely to have requested the money spent. Every manager wants two or three more players , Johnson was very quick every transfer window to state it ,Ashton would no doubt go to the board that these players would see us over the line and the Lanswdowns would sign off the expenditure. The bulk of the blame is with our ownership , unlike Ipswich we asked no questions or challenges 

Yep, collective responsibility.

41 minutes ago, glynriley said:

He's not changed...

Lee Johnson admits he is "sick to death of the mediocrity" at Hibernian after they succumbed to a 3-0 defeat away to city rivals Hearts.

It was a ninth defeat in 11 Scottish Premiership games for Hibs and an eighth Edinburgh derby in a row without victory, and Johnson, who took over as manager in the summer, has vowed to clear out the "dead wood" within his squad.

"The ball was like a hot potato and to be honest I'm sick to death of the mediocrity. We need to move players out in January.

"This is a wonderful club full of potential, with a great fanbase, good training base and a brilliant stadium and it deserves more. We need to make way better decisions all over the place because today showed exactly where we are.

"We need outs. The outs are as important as the ins. Again the mediocrity we have got - I'm just being honest now. I'm in a place where I have to come out swinging. I'm not disrespecting players, but decisions have not been good enough (on recruitment) and we need to be better.

"We can't keep being average at best. For a club like this, it's just not good enough. Everyone needs to tell themselves some home truths. It feels like a big club because of the media, the scrutiny, we are in Edinburgh, there's two clubs in Edinburgh.

"But act like a big player then within a big club and have that bottle to go and produce, not just in training but in games."

"We have got to do more, and part of that is a revolution now, not just an evolution.

"I think the actual revolution is about getting the dead wood out and increasing the quality."

Considering the noises coming from Ipswich, if he’s patient, he may be able to get slimy Mark up there to replace his dead wood with some new dead wood!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

He's not changed...

I am sure there will be clubs queuing around the block to buy Hib’s deadwood.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I am sure there will be clubs queuing around the block to buy Hib’s deadwood.

Its €75 per stere here Your Maj !!  Thats cut into half metre lengths and delivered.  If LJ can better that then I am in for a truckload.

5 hours ago, glynriley said:

He's not changed...

He will never learn.

On 02/01/2023 at 17:05, petehinton said:

Now out of the automatics….I’m sure Ashton will throw another few million onto the pile in January as a result. 

If they don’t go up this year, they are deeply ******

Well, I’ve no idea what their business plan is, but if they get promoted the Championship is far from the financial ‘promised land’, more like a bigger financial sinkhole. The Premier League is where the riches are, but even there for a small Club the player wage costs and transfer fees will take a big chunk out of any profit line.

Assume they want to grow the Club on and re-sell but a high risk strategy, bordering on idiotic when dealing with funds sourced from a pension scheme.

I’m no FFP expert but my very basic understanding is that in League 1 you can lose a percentage of your turnover but this is waived and you can lose in excess of that as long as the owner under writes it.

If they get promoted they will be well and truly screwed having to stick within the strict loss limits in the Championship.

So in a way I’m kind of hoping they do come up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Does any Ipswich fan ever think about the players they signed in the summer, or the ones last season…who are just piling up, loaned out or sold at a loss.

Money GIF

Can I interest you in the new "Mark Ashton Blinkers" ?
You never get sidetracked by things that have happened before, just the NEXT signing. 

1643102140_Screenshot2023-01-05at18_57_18.png.a8bf95b052e309f3df0d94340d34da61.png

56 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Well, I’ve no idea what their business plan is, but if they get promoted the Championship is far from the financial ‘promised land’, more like a bigger financial sinkhole. The Premier League is where the riches are, but even there for a small Club the player wage costs and transfer fees will take a big chunk out of any profit line.

Assume they want to grow the Club on and re-sell but a high risk strategy, bordering on idiotic when dealing with funds sourced from a pension scheme.

One of their posters on their forum - TWTD - has it sussed.  Basically you build a really good squad in Lg1, where the owner can inject equity to overcome the SCMP FFP rules and then you quickly get the Champ and into the PL within 2 seasons.  However, despite them spending good m9bey, the squad is full of bloat and isn’t anywhere near say Sunderland’s level to think about going “back-to-back”.

49 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

I’m no FFP expert but my very basic understanding is that in League 1 you can lose a percentage of your turnover but this is waived and you can lose in excess of that as long as the owner under writes it.

If they get promoted they will be well and truly screwed having to stick within the strict loss limits in the Championship.

So in a way I’m kind of hoping they do come up.

SCMP - lg1 FFP is wages:turnover based.  Here’s a link.

https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

• Like 2

On 03/01/2023 at 10:08, glynriley said:

He's not changed...

Er . . . I know its pub leagues but last time I checked there were three clubs in Edinburgh - Hibs, Hearts & Edinburgh.