IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

36 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Even so, will need to basically lose by at least 3 goals and Leeds win by at least 3 goals…

Just any Leeds win and any Ipswich defeat will do it for Leeds (better goal difference). Ipswich still need a point but I’d be surprised if they didn’t get it (home to Huddersfield).

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

1 minute ago, Magic Man said:

Baffled that people would see to prefer Leeds go up than Ipswich.

I get the MA thing, but cmon... Ipswich as a club are a lot more palatable than 'super club' Leeds

If Leeds stay down, we're effectively -6 points at the start of the season...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Magic Man said:

I get the MA thing, but cmon... Ipswich as a club are a lot more palatable than 'super club' Leeds

Leeds are a 'super' club, well at least a pretty big club.

Small provincial town Ipswich 16k fans in midtable Champ, just think they are 

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not really.

It is undeniable that Ashton’s time with us saw uncontrolled, unsustainable spending & we didn’t go anywhere.

He has now had undeniable huge success at another Championship club, so not difficult to draw the conclusion as to what our problem is.

The problem is clearly in the corner of the Lansdowns. How much longer can this rediculous ownership continue. We ain’t going nowhere anywhere soon under these bafoons.

If Ipswich make it, then we’ll done to them. Great achievement.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

If Leeds stay down, we're effectively -6 points at the start of the season...

I think this is it. Whenever I’m looking at promotion/relegation I want to lose the teams that are likely to be the most difficult for us next season. If Ipswich don’t go up, McKenna is squarely in the frame for a decent prem job (West Ham?) and I don’t see them being the same force next year. Leeds however will be strong - and probably stronger than the three likely relegated teams. For that reason, I’d be quite happy to see Leeds and Southampton go up.

On a similar basis it’d be good to lose Birmingham- likely to have good investment in the summer and Mowbray in charge so will be stronger next year. I’d want Oxford up as the weakest of the playoff sides.

All about what’s best for us as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Magic Man said:

It's just frustrating to see. Another club flying past us from League One to the Premier League whilst we tread water.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think this is it. Whenever I’m looking at promotion/relegation I want to lose the teams that are likely to be the most difficult for us next season. If Ipswich don’t go up, McKenna is squarely in the frame for a decent prem job (West Ham?) and I don’t see them being the same force next year. Leeds however will be strong - and probably stronger than the three likely relegated teams. For that reason, I’d be quite happy to see Leeds and Southampton go up.

On a similar basis it’d be good to lose Birmingham- likely to have good investment in the summer and Mowbray in charge so will be stronger next year. I’d want Oxford up as the weakest of the playoff sides.

Perfect summary. If Ipswich don’t go up (unlikely now of course), there is a greater chance that that they won’t be as good next season compared to Leeds. They may also lose key players to bigger clubs. 

49 minutes ago, KegCity said:

It's just frustrating to see. Another club flying past us from League One to the Premier League whilst we tread water.

Yep, in 18/19 we finished in 8th, 4 points off the playoffs while they were relegated having finished bottom of the Championship (as Luton got promoted from L1 incidentally).

Here we are a few years later hoping to finish 8th - 10th (a good season!) while they go up in 2nd. Bleh.

Edited by IAmNick

Well, setting aside swiss tony's history with us, Ipswich are the team of the season in my view. To have promotion in your hands going into the last game of the season is a phenomenal achievement considering the financial disparity with the parachute payment clubs.

Well done Ipswich.

By the way, if swiss tony is reading this then the asking price for Tommy Conway is £30M.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yep, in 18/19 we finished in 8th, 4 points off the playoffs while they were relegated having finished bottom of the Championship (as Luton got promoted from L1 incidentally).

Here we are a few years later hoping to finish 8th - 10th (a good season!) while they go up in 2nd. Bleh.

Bleh indeed...still, much as I hate to do so, let's reflect on 2018/19...a season in which we had Brownhill, Pack, Webster, Weimann, Patterson, Fam, Tomas Kallas, Lloyd Kelly, Kasey, Jay....we were in the play-offs until 13th April - then managed to win 1 of our last 6 matches.

I'd propose - as I did at the time - that the weakness lay not in the Boardroom or with the CEO (whatever their faults) but with the serial loser sitting in the dug-out.

Ipswich have a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Albeit I would add that Leeds would require retrenchment, Southampton even moreso.

Both woukd see the FFP headroo to 2024-25 shrink by £30m or so. Ipswich otoh may not be able to retrench so much.

How are Birmingham doing this investment given their Accounts and the FFP rules. I've looked in some depth and they've already used £25m less Allowables in 2022-23.

Seemed to be posting a 6 month loss despite and including some rises and the Bellingham money. Bellingham money won't be replicated this summer.

Naming rights or not, there are Fair Value rules attached to the RPTs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

He absolutely was, key reason being: he was allowed to be. He clearly is managed and kept in check far, far better there than he ever was here. For on and off the pitch matters here, he was allowed to do literally whatever he wanted 

He was the problem as he was not managed properly?! So he wasn’t the problem then…

He generated so ridiculous transfer fees for us while he was here.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Wrexham will get there before us

Remember seeing people say this about Plymouth & even one deluded soul, Rovers.

Let’s just see, eh?

Beating League Two teams with a budget that dwarfs theirs proves absolutely **** all.

They’ll find the likes of Huddersfield, Birmingham & Charlton, plus the 3 who fail in the playoffs a completely different prospect.

• Like 3

Sorry to intrude but can't pass by without giving us a mention.       So the mathematics appear pretty simple now.      Unless we lose by a big score at home to Huddersfield next weekend and Leeds lose by a similar margin wherever they play we're going to be a Premier League club name for first time since 2002.     Really, It's hard to see either occurring so by all intents and purposes we've just about made it over the line.

It's been difficult the last few weeks and not only by way of results but in the end it shall have been worth it.    I worry sometimes what happens when we start again (or if, to get not too carried away) as a top level club name and what happens to the manager and our best players and most valuable assets we have in the team.     Not everyone on the playing roster is going to be here by the autumn and McKenna has made such a name for himself in a relatively short space of time he's going to be viewed by many as a highly commendable managerial name and possibly lured elsewhere.    I think a number of fans here with us are just enjoying the moment and not entirely focused on the future and potential changes within the team set-up.      Suppose pride comes before a fall but in truth we're just caught up in a moment right now and only looking at the positives rather than eventual pitfalls.

We won last night for first time in something like four games, focus has been a problem at times this season, lack of concentration at pivotal times throughout games, lack of consistency, that sort of thing, but arguably we are where we are through mostly hard work and determination.     Since Ashton, Game Changer ownership and McKenna came in things have more or less fallen into place but as said before, and regardless of what others think of us, it's been a bloody long wait for something good to happen around here.      For all and any negative opinions from rival fans, and they're entitled to their reasoning of course, I think after a good 18 years of mostly unenterprising, mediocre and all round devoid of entertainment play and support, the fans really deserve something back.

I'd like to offer profound sympathies if I may to Coventry City while at it, as a week or two back they were very nearly back in the F.A. Cup Final, looking forward to an end of season play-off opportunity, best year at the club since 1987 without little question, and now they're basically left with nothing.    It'd take hearts of stone not to feel some empathy with how quickly it fell apart for them in such a short space of time.    Yes we ourselves have something to look forward to and reason for celebration but really, it would be unfair to not take a moment to understand feelings of others.      Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Am I missing something? Or has SS got the table wrong?

Leeds have a better GD than Ipswich?

6 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Sorry to intrude but can't pass by without giving us a mention.       So the mathematics appear pretty simple now.      Unless we lose by a big score at home to Huddersfield next weekend and Leeds lose by a similar margin wherever they play we're going to be a Premier League club name for first time since 2002.     Really, It's hard to see either occurring so by all intents and purposes we've just about made it over the line.

It's been difficult the last few weeks and not only by way of results but in the end it shall have been worth it.    I worry sometimes what happens when we start again (or if, to get not too carried away) as a top level club name and what happens to the manager and our best players and most valuable assets we have in the team.     Not everyone on the playing roster is going to be here by the autumn and McKenna has made such a name for himself in a relatively short space of time he's going to be viewed by many as a highly commendable managerial name and possibly lured elsewhere.    I think a number of fans here with us are just enjoying the moment and not entirely focused on the future and potential changes within the team set-up.      Suppose pride comes before a fall but in truth we're just caught up in a moment right now and only looking at the positives rather than eventual pitfalls.

We won last night for first time in something like four games, focus has been a problem at times this season, lack of concentration at pivotal times throughout games, lack of consistency, that sort of thing, but arguably we are where we are through mostly hard work and determination.     Since Ashton, Game Changer ownership and McKenna came in things have more or less fallen into place but as said before, and regardless of what others think of us, it's been a bloody long wait for something good to happen around here.      For all and any negative opinions from rival fans, and they're entitled to their reasoning of course, I think after a good 18 years of mostly unenterprising, mediocre and all round devoid of entertainment play and support, the fans really deserve something back.

I'd like to offer profound sympathies if I may to Coventry City while at it, as a week or two back they were very nearly back in the F.A. Cup Final, looking forward to an end of season play-off opportunity, best year at the club since 1987 without little question, and now they're basically left with nothing.    It'd take hearts of stone not to feel some empathy with how quickly it fell apart for them in such a short space of time.    Yes we ourselves have something to look forward to and reason for celebration but really, it would be unfair to not take a moment to understand feelings of others.      Thanks. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t Leeds got a better GD than yourselves? If you lose and they win they go up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He was the problem as he was not managed properly?! So he wasn’t the problem then…

He generated so ridiculous transfer fees for us while he was here.

I’ve always been more coy on that second point. How much was him, how much of it was due to bidding wars between desperate clubs, and the players just being of incredible standard?

He also spent some ******* absurd transfer fees on absolute dross that took us years to recover from, if that’s the comparison here. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Remember seeing people say this about Plymouth & even one deluded soul, Rovers.

Let’s just see, eh?

Beating League Two teams with a budget that dwarfs theirs proves absolutely **** all.

They’ll find the likes of Huddersfield, Birmingham & Charlton, plus the 3 who fail in the playoffs a completely different prospect.

I so hope Wrexham fall flat on their arses..............

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’ve always been more coy on that second point. How much was him, how much of it was due to bidding wars between desperate clubs, and the players just being of incredible standard?

He also spent some ******* absurd transfer fees on absolute dross that took us years to recover from, if that’s the comparison here. 

Good football administrator ✅✅✅

Recruitment (in / out) 😡💩🤡

Some may question the recruitment out bit, but between him, the board and LJ, they didn’t use the money well, and I very much suspect MA saw transfer profit / P&L directly reflected in his CEO remuneration, ie a conflict of interests / vested interest in trading players, when that might not have been the right thing to do.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good football administrator ✅✅✅

Recruitment (in / out) 😡💩🤡

Some may question the recruitment out bit, but between him, the board and LJ, they didn’t use the money well, and I very much suspect MA saw transfer profit / P&L directly reflected in his CEO remuneration, ie a conflict of interests / vested interest in trading players, when that might not have been the right thing to do.

Am I right in thinking he got a huge bonus the year we turned a profit due to including Kelly’s sale in the season previous, when actually if we used it toward the incoming season we’d have been in a much better re FFP?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He got top money for players. I do not recall a bidding war for Webster and fee was never confirmed, but rumoured £20m+ for a centre back we paid less than £5m for a year before is undeniably good business.

In terms of fees paid, again the buck stops with the Lansdown’s on that surely? I don’t know how things are run from the inside, but surely they would have had final sign off on any money leaving the club? And if not I would question why.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Am I missing something? Or has SS got the table wrong?

Leeds have a better GD than Ipswich?

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t Leeds got a better GD than yourselves? If you lose and they win they go up?

No you’ve not got it wrong. The maths is simple.

Leeds have to win (by any score) - but they can only go up if Ipswich lose (by any score) and if that happens, Leeds’ superior GD sees them up. A point is enough for Ipswich whatever Leeds do. I’m not sure why the post you quoted overcomplicated that other than alcohol after last night!

I expect Leeds to win so Ipswich will need something. Huddersfield are practically down because of the GD they have and there is the “will they go all out” factor. Almost makes you wish we hadn’t been given that dodgy pen against them a couple of weeks ago as with those two extra points the Ipswich-Hudds game would have a different complexion 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Make sure you go big on the celebrations then if you lose 1-0 and Leeds win 1-0.................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Am I right in thinking he got a huge bonus the year we turned a profit due to including Kelly’s sale in the season previous, when actually if we used it toward the incoming season we’d have been in a much better re FFP?

Don't know about the bonus bit (wouldn't surprise me though), but the rest is definitely true.

Edited by Northern Red

54 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Put it this way his remuneration topped £500k in the two seasons of high transfer profit, and then went down!

And yes, would’ve been better to waiting til June 1st to sell Lloyd Kelly and not make a profit in 18/19.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Sad 1