IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

10 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He's not OUR player! What bit don't you understand

I despised Ashton but he wasn't the problem, our problem (s) still exist but keep your head buried

Just because he’s not our player permanently doesn’t mean it’s not deemed as recruitment? Besides our most important players in the run are Roberts as LCB and Knight in the midfield for me (both players we signed in the summer), I like Twine but they have been more consistent.

I’ve never said Ashton wasn’t our only problem but as CEO we were going backwards, since that season behind closed doors we’ve progressed in league position every season and we will again this season. Ashton still needed to go

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eardun said:

Spent just £4.7m in last 2 seasons? Any truth in this? I took it from this forum that Ashton had been splashing the cash. 

I am sure they're in line with FFP but I'm querying where Murphy is getting his figures from exactly.

Possibly he is Conflating Net Spend and the Intangible Assets will also include at the very least Loan Fees in addition to Transfer Fees.

They will be nowhere near e.g. Leicester, Leeds, Southampton in respect of expenditure of wage bill, probably below a number of others too but they will have increased, which if course was ably assisted by revenue rises post Promotion too.

Screenshot_20240501-003931_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.cf4d38d335acb077417ca0f5077caf05.jpgScreenshot_20240501-003948_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.4effad2be33e830192ab5527d1251f26.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This thread is embarrassing now isn’t it! 😂. Yet another example. 

Still time for the figurehead who I despise, come on Huddersfield, Leeds and whenever finishes 6th.

I pray they lose each game they play..loyal to the team or the regime are we. You and some others I really do wonder about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This thread is embarrassing now isn’t it! 😂. Yet another example. 

Not really.

It is undeniable that Ashton’s time with us saw uncontrolled, unsustainable spending & we didn’t go anywhere.

He has now had undeniable huge success at another Championship club, so not difficult to draw the conclusion as to what our problem is.

• Like 19

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still time for the figurehead who I despise, come on Huddersfield, Leeds and whenever finishes 6th.

I pray they lose each game they play..loyal to the team or the regime are we. You and some others I really do wonder about.

I normally agree with your thoughts but not this time. Would love Ipswich to go up at the expense of one of the PP clubs. Hoping Norwich and WBA (no longer in receipt) miss out for the same reason.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I feel this club is cursed at times!

It does feel like a monkeys paw curse.

”I wish we had a billionaire owner” 

“wish granted.  Your club will be owned by a billionaire, but he will be the blandest mother ****** imaginable and be more interested in his dream of a multi sports model generating value for bricks and mortar investment” 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Mark Ashton given free rein under local billionaire Owner - disaster that caused us no end of problems for a couple of years after he buggered off.

Mark Ashton tightly controlled under American Ownership - unmitigated success.

Be ******* careful what you wish for you dumb *****................

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Mark Ashton given free rein under local billionaire Owner - disaster that caused us no end of problems for a couple of years after he buggered off.

Be ******* careful what you wish for you dumb *****................

Who’s at fault?  The Billionaire owner who should have set budgets that were sustainable and  League position targets that were       realistic.  

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think we can all agree Ashton wasn’t ever the issue. How has it gone so right at Ipswich and so wrong for us I wonder…

He absolutely was, key reason being: he was allowed to be. He clearly is managed and kept in check far, far better there than he ever was here. For on and off the pitch matters here, he was allowed to do literally whatever he wanted 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am sure they're in line with FFP but I'm querying where Murphy is getting his figures from exactly.

Possibly he is Conflating Net Spend and the Intangible Assets will also include at the very least Loan Fees in addition to Transfer Fees.

They will be nowhere near e.g. Leicester, Leeds, Southampton in respect of expenditure of wage bill, probably below a number of others too but they will have increased, which if course was ably assisted by revenue rises post Promotion too.

Screenshot_20240501-003931_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.cf4d38d335acb077417ca0f5077caf05.jpgScreenshot_20240501-003948_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.4effad2be33e830192ab5527d1251f26.jpg

Probably a quick glance at transfermarket, ignoring the fees with “?” Against them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not really.

It is undeniable that Ashton’s time with us saw uncontrolled, unsustainable spending & we didn’t go anywhere.

He has now had undeniable huge success at another Championship club, so not difficult to draw the conclusion as to what our problem is.

And, almost most as important for me, ‘off the pitch’ he was a vile human being

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not really.

Nor is it embarrassing that they had a mid-table / top half championship budget to get out of league one.  The likes of Sam Morsy don’t go from Boro to Ipswich for a league one wage do they?

But some posters just seem to delight in posting petty jibes in supercilious fashion, thinking a laughing emoji will hide it.

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would have thought that rather than crediting this all to better ownership and control of Mark Ashton, the more obvious reason is they've simply got a generationally very good young manager and are all being carried along for the ride.

Do we really think Mark Ashton, his brother in law, and the other assorted rabble that left us in a mess suddenly turned into masterminds behind Ipswich's rise. Hardly wheeling and dealing either he's sold one player for money in 2 years.

Also post-promotion winning habit is a thing. Early April 2008 GJ had us top of the Championship on 70 points (win remaining games and we'd finish on 82 and promoted). Add in McKenna's quality and the 10 more points is not unrealistic. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Olé said:

I would have thought that rather than crediting this all to better ownership and control of Mark Ashton, the more obvious reason is they've simply got a generationally very good young manager and are all being carried along for the ride.

Do we really think Mark Ashton, his brother in law, and the other assorted rabble that left us in a mess suddenly turned into masterminds behind Ipswich's rise. Hardly wheeling and dealing either he's sold one player for money in 2 years.

Also post-promotion winning habit is a thing. Early April 2008 GJ had us top of the Championship on 70 points (win remaining games and we'd finish on 82 and promoted). Add in McKenna's quality and the 10 more points is not unrealistic. 

I don't think I'm saying the ONLY reason for Ipswich's success is that Mark Ashton is being kept on a tighter leash. In fact I'm definitely not saying anything like that at all. What is clear though, which is my point, is that you CAN have American ownership and you don't necessarily need to be careful what you wish for in terms of Steve and his daft boy ******* right off. The same bloke who left us in a right mess under the local owner is part of a well oiled machine under American owners. Didn't think it was possible for Americans to work like that based on what I read on here.....................you could even argue the people who want Steve to remain at the helm are really the ones that need to be careful what they wish for.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Olé said:

There is another key difference @Olé

Really moderate injuries to key players. Compare to us when Rolls etc were here, thinking the medical side specifically in this bit.

Checked the availability of their January players too and was very good at in stage. Unsure abiut now.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I normally agree with your thoughts but not this time. Would love Ipswich to go up at the expense of one of the PP clubs. Hoping Norwich and WBA (no longer in receipt) miss out for the same reason.

This is also true. To be honest I look at the League and an increasing number of rivals I dislike for a range of reasons really.

Leicester, maybe breached FFP once if not twice. Leeds, well nuff said..Ipswich, Ashton, Southampton, Martin, Norwich and West Brom, been propped by Parachute Payments for too long.

QPR, I wonder how they seemingly have complied with FFP, I see no substantial sales, Birmingham arrogant. Cardiff and Swansea nuff said, Millwall have some troublesome fans let's say although perhaps a greater emphasis on history.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The reason for our spending , cluster of players under the Ashton & Johnson era is down to one individual , who’s still at the club and still makes the final decision on budgets. The Lansdowns allowed the overspending they never brought Ashton to task and he gleefully did as he pleased. In the same way our budget wasn’t set by Gould & Pearson and won’t be by Tinnion and Manning , the buck stops at the top. 

For me I hope Ipswich get the point they need on Saturday , it gives hope to the rest of the league to see a Luton , Ipswich make it. 

Just wait till next season when Ipswich become the next club the Lansdowns say we need to copy the model from!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You'd imagine that behind closed doors and within the Lansdown family this one will be of particular embarrassment to them and in particular Steve.

Echo what others have said, Ashton was never held accountable for the over spending on bang average players. I remember at the height of the Ashton circus the amount of abuse he was personally getting from the fanbase.

It was only a small minority who could see the bigger picture that in actual fact it was those above him allowing him to have free reign that are the issue at this football club and shock horror they are still here.

Like i said its just yet another embarrassment for Steve to go alongside all the other hideous mistakes he has made here.

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Even so, will need to basically lose by at least 3 goals and Leeds win by at least 3 goals…

I don’t think they will lose but Leeds actually have a better GD.

Ipswich have spent money but key is they have done it well whilst obviously having a very good manager .

And of course have been competitive against the 3 parachute payment teams .

I feel they would have been hoping for a top 10 play off push at least but naturally this will be beyond all expectations.

• Like 1

I actually take quite a lot of solace in knowing they were promoted both last season and this as runners-up. So no actual silverware to show for it if and when they fall back down the leagues.