IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Ipswich 3 down at Preston already. Mark Ashton fronts up on some pricey January business, team proceeds to fall apart. 

We’ve seen this script before 

We have albeit their blistering start should get them a play-off place at least and anything can happen  in the playoffs (except us winning them obvs).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have albeit their blistering start should get them a play-off place at least and anything can happen  in the playoffs (except us winning them obvs).

I can’t see anything other than Leeds beating them, wherever they may face each other in the play offs

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Three amazing goals conceded today, see them if you have the chance

All three the mark of extreme arrogance without the ability at the back 

Hmm. Maybe we'll make a move for the Ipswich keeper in the summer ...

Bit of a relief for Preston come the end.

On 12/12/2023 at 03:54, fgrsimon said:

I still think Leeds will hunt them down eventually this season. Bigger, better squad, more intimidating ground/support and every club will have a losing wobble at some point, Leeds have already had theirs (start of season).

Some people scoffed when I said this and I must admit that I thought it would take longer than 6/7 weeks, but they've well and truly been reeled in by Leeds and Southampton. Will still make the Play-Offs at least barring a total collapse but you wouldn't fancy them against Leeds or Southampton. 

• Like 3

On 03/02/2024 at 20:58, cidercity1987 said:

Three amazing goals conceded today, see them if you have the chance

All three the mark of extreme arrogance without the ability at the back 

I'm sorry but that is drivel. We had as many errors playing out from the back in that game as we have all season. We are very good at it generally and we've scored far more goals than we've conceded by playing that way.

It was one of those halves on Saturday. We were sloppy and nothing went for us.

I know you guys don't like Ashton but I find the dislike for us a bit odd to be honest. Clubs that aren't in receipt of parachute payments should be united and happy to see another club defying the odds to compete! I certainly would be if the boot was on the other foot.

We've really missed Hirst since Boxing Day (and Morsy has been suspended for 3 games too). Moore is in and up and running now though. After West Brom on Saturday, we have a run of 9 games where you are the best team we play. So that's where we need to make hay. We've already played Leeds and Leicester twice. I back us to go close to the top 2. But if we finish in the top 6 it is an amazing season for us regardless. 

Edited by Dan11
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

I'm sorry but that is drivel. We had as many errors playing out from the back in that game as we have all season. We are very good at it generally and we've scored far more goals than we've conceded by playing that way.

I know you guys don't like Ashton but I find the dislike for us a bit odd to be honest. Clubs that aren't in receipt of parachute payments should be united and happy to see another club defying the odds to compete! I certainly would be if the boot was on the other foot.

We've really missed Hirst since Boxing Day (and Morsy has been suspended for 3 games too). Moore is in and up and running now though. After West Brom on Saturday, we have a run of 9 games where you are the best team we play. So that's where we need to make hay. I back us to go close to the top 2. But if we finish in the top 6 it is an amazing season for us regardless. 

I'm asking this genuinely rather than having a dig but do you know where it leaves you financially if you don't go up? From the outside, it looks like you've invested quite heavily. Would key players need to leave to stay in line with FFP or would the squad likely be intact to compete again next season? 

3 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

Clubs that aren't in receipt of parachute payments should be united and happy to see another club defying the odds to compete! I certainly would be if the boot was on the other foot.

You have a point here, but on the other hand I think that if any club needs to be defying the odds it needs to be us. If the boot was on the other foot you'd be just as jealous. The worry, I have, is that Mark Ashton will be hailed as some kind of hero, when the reality is he is an old fashioned con artist who just happens to be very good at spending other people's money.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm asking this genuinely rather than having a dig but do you know where it leaves you financially if you don't go up? From the outside, it looks like you've invested quite heavily. Would key players need to leave to stay in line with FFP or would the squad likely be intact to compete again next season? 

I think Leif Davis would inevitably go. He's a Premier League full back in style and quality and will command a big fee. How we got him in L1 I have no idea. The biggest worry of course would be a PL club wanting McKenna which is inevitable at some point.

Financially we've really not invested that heavily at all. We built a squad in L1 under SCMP rules that could compete pretty well in the Championship. Highest fee we've paid under our new owners is £1.5m (Broadhead, Hirst, Taylor) - on 3/4 year contracts for FFP and players that have future resale value. I don't expect Moore is coming cheap in terms of loan fee/wages but that's a signing we had to make in our position. If he makes the kind of impact he did on Saturday then he will be worth every penny!

Edited by Dan11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

I know you guys don't like Ashton but I find the dislike for us a bit odd to be honest.

It’s for that reason alone. 😁😁😁

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

They’ll be alright.  They should have enough headroom.  Revenues will be very good, packed out PR, Champ tv money rather Lg1.

Although I do look forward to seeing their accounts for last season (22-23).  Their losses doubled from £6m (20-21) to £12m (21-22), so interested to see the “cost of promotion”.

Ashton’s claims of “net zero” were horseshit, but their fans bought it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

I think Leif Davis would inevitably go. He's a Premier League full back in style and quality and will command a big fee. How we got him in L1 I have no idea. The biggest worry of course would be a PL club wanting McKenna which is inevitable at some point.

Financially we've really not invested that heavily at all. We built a squad in L1 under SCMP rules that could compete pretty well in the Championship. Highest fee we've paid under our new owners is £1.5m (Broadhead, Hirst, Taylor) - on 3/4 year contracts for FFP and players that have future resale value. I don't expect Moore is coming cheap in terms of loan fee/wages but that's a signing we had to make in our position. If he makes the kind of impact he did on Saturday then he will be worth every penny!

Cheers - that's useful. FWIW, I honestly don't have any issue with Ipswich at all. What worries me a bit from your perspective is that Ashton's spending approach for us was very high risk (i.e. throw a lot of money at young players in the hope we unearth a gem or get promoted, which worked well at first but then the "gems" dried up and we had a lot of underwhelming players on our books) but obviously he could have learned a lesson. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

We've really missed Hirst since Boxing Day (and Morsy has been suspended for 3 games too). Moore is in and up and running now though. After West Brom on Saturday, we have a run of 9 games where you are the best team we play. So that's where we need to make hay. We've already played Leeds and Leicester twice. I back us to go close to the top 2. But if we finish in the top 6 it is an amazing season for us regardless. 

Not all care that much. I definitely don't it's all in the past for me. You are just another team in the league. There's alot of resentment on here for Ashton and rightly so but there's no denying he's done well with you. I think some fans are just hoping the wheels fall off to feel some sort of retribution. We used to get it with Barnsley fans when LJ was manager which I also thought was odd at the time.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Cheers - that's useful. FWIW, I honestly don't have any issue with Ipswich at all. What worries me a bit from your perspective is that Ashton's spending approach for us was very high risk (i.e. throw a lot of money at young players in the hope we unearth a gem or get promoted, which worked well at first but then the "gems" dried up and we had a lot of underwhelming players on our books) but obviously he could have learned a lesson. 

To be honest though, for clubs like us that don't have parachute payments, what is the alternative strategy? The key is obviously your scouting/recruitment being absolutely on point but inevitably not every player you sign is going to be an Adam Webster. I think it is actually easier in some ways to play this strategy out at the lower end of the market (<£2m) than it is when you suddenly have £5m to spend on a player. The risk is far higher and your margin for error is a lot lower. I know they've picked up now, but I look at some of the business Coventry did in the summer and I guarantee they've made a couple of mistakes. Haji Wright £8m prime example.

4 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

To be honest though, for clubs like us that don't have parachute payments, what is the alternative strategy? The key is obviously your scouting/recruitment being absolutely on point but inevitably not every player you sign is going to be an Adam Webster. I think it is actually easier in some ways to play this strategy out at the lower end of the market (<£2m) than it is when you suddenly have £5m to spend on a player. The risk is far higher and your margin for error is a lot lower. I know they've picked up now, but I look at some of the business Coventry did in the summer and I guarantee they've made a couple of mistakes. Haji Wright £8m prime example.

A lot of posters on here wanted Ali Al Hamadi including me. I think he's a great pick up and will do we'll for you.

2 hours ago, Dan11 said:

I know you guys don't like Ashton but I find the dislike for us a bit odd to be honest.

I don't think there is any animosity or dislike towards Ipswich or your fans - it's purely Ashton. Think most admire your history - over achieving with Ramsey and Robson, winning proper trophies, and now we're envious of your current season (McKenna has done a phenomenal job with you) which reminds us of the 2007-2008 when we had just been promoted and almost got into the Prem. Does look a bit like Ashton is overspending and gambling everything to get there though - like he did with us. Hope for your sake it doesn't go tits up. But honestly, as a club we neither dislike or like Ipswich, as far as I know. 

• Like 8

Just now, LilRascal said:

I don't think there is any animosity or dislike towards Ipswich or your fans - it's purely Ashton. Think most admire your history - over achieving with Ramsey and Robson, winning proper trophies, and now we're envious of your current season (McKenna has done a phenomenal job with you) which reminds us of the 2007-2008 when we had just been promoted and almost got into the Prem. Does look a bit like Ashton is overspending and gambling everything to get there though - like he did with us. Hope for your sake it doesn't go tits up. But honestly, as a club we neither dislike or like Ipswich, as far as I know. 

I feel Ashton is on a tighter leash at Ipswich than he was here, but otherwise agreed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

My thoughts exactly.

Said previously that under Bobby Robson, they played a match v Soton I think to raise money when we were properly in the shit.

Good club, excellent history, its just about that *** Ashton.

• Like 10

Think realistically that’s automatic promotion gone, but still battled their way to another point.

Southampton are now unbeaten in their last 22 games but were booed off at HT today because they were losing, entitled or what?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think realistically that’s automatic promotion gone, but still battled their way to another point.

Southampton are now unbeaten in their last 22 games but were booed off at HT today because they were losing, entitled or what?

Exactly that @GrahamC - think they have a right to win every week!

Lets hope we stick to them on Tuesday night 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Was surprised on commentary Ipswich 2-2 WBA was deemed a surprise result….for whom?

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was surprised on commentary Ipswich 2-2 WBA was deemed a surprise result….for whom?

I can only guess that with the Baggies being ahead in injury time they were expected to hold on?

Edited by GrahamC