IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t forget, any player Ipswich sign permanently, they can spread fee over contract length, so 2x £5m players over 4 years would only cost them £2.5m p.a (ignore the half year for sake of simplicity).  £2.5m isn’t gonna rock the FFP boat.

I doubt it is likely Ipswich would go over this year in any event, agreed.

Ipswich are in a strong position..wonder if they will capitalise from a position of strength.

19 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

According to transfer market he's having a purple patch. 10 goal and 5 assists in 19 games so far this season in ligue 2 for Angers.

I’m actually pleased for him if he has recovered his form. He was a disaster here but I felt that was far more to do with him being the wrong signing at the wrong time than any lack of application on his part. I suspect - though of course I don’t know - that Kent was maybe a bit blase about the amount of work needed to succeed in the Championship but I think Diony was simply low on confidence and too far out of his comfort zone to succeed.

• Like 3

I see Ipswich dropped points again although Egypt not calling up Morsy is a stroke of luck.

Southampton have cut the gap on them by 9 points in 4 games. Leicester have pulled away.

3 draws and one loss and it doesn't get any easier- remaining fixtures include:

1. Leicester away

2. Hull away

3. Preston away

4. Coventry away

5. Blackburn away

6. Cardiff away

7. Swansea away

8. Plymouth away

9) Stoke away

In addition, home games against West Brom, us and Watford will all pose differing challenges..WBA and us can be potent on the break and Watford are just unpredictable, seem a bit better away at times.

Oh and an East Anglian derby at Carrow Road.

Think they'll get a top 6 place regardless but top 2 gas to be in some doubt IMO.

On 30/12/2023 at 21:36, Mr Popodopolous said:

I see Ipswich dropped points again although Egypt not calling up Morsy is a stroke of luck.

Southampton have cut the gap on them by 9 points in 4 games. Leicester have pulled away.

3 draws and one loss and it doesn't get any easier- remaining fixtures include:

1. Leicester away

2. Hull away

3. Preston away

4. Coventry away

5. Blackburn away

6. Cardiff away

7. Swansea away

8. Plymouth away

9) Stoke away

In addition, home games against West Brom, us and Watford will all pose differing challenges..WBA and us can be potent on the break and Watford are just unpredictable, seem a bit better away at times.

Oh and an East Anglian derby at Carrow Road.

Think they'll get a top 6 place regardless but top 2 gas to be in some doubt IMO.

So like everyone else in the league, we have to play virtually all of the teams in the league again? 🤪 (bar Leeds and QPR).

33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Two expensive marquee loans through the door already. I smell history repeating itself….

Good championship CM, but one I feel has not been at his best in the last 18 months.  Used to really like him, but feel he’s dropped off.

image.thumb.png.6e5261c6792f3612e66bf9c8d19896d2.png

He’ll give them good rotation with Morsy and Luongo.  Morsy walking a tightrope on 9 yellows for quite a few games now.  Will get his 2 game suspension at some point.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good championship CM, but one I feel has not been at his best in the last 18 months.  Used to really like him, but feel he’s dropped off.

He’ll give them good rotation with Morsy and Luongo.  Morsy walking a tightrope on 9 yellows for quite a few games now.  Will get his 2 game suspension at some point.

He's suspended for Sunderland/Leicester - got his 10th booking in our last game. I suspect that comes into our thinking! We needed another combative midfielder for rotation with Luongo too as we look so much better with two of those types than just the one, and it isn't really Taylor's game. Suspect he will now move into the 10 rotation.

46 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Two expensive marquee loans through the door already. I smell history repeating itself….

I wouldn't describe either as particularly expensive or marquee! 

16 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

He's suspended for Sunderland/Leicester - got his 10th booking in our last game. I suspect that comes into our thinking! We needed another combative midfielder for rotation with Luongo too as we look so much better with two of those types than just the one, and it isn't really Taylor's game. Suspect he will now move into the 10 rotation.

I wouldn't describe either as particularly expensive or marquee! 

Ahh, there you go, knew he couldn’t last! 🤣🤣🤣

A sensible signing imho.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest Dave

Are these charts that you access directly on the sites you subscribe to , or data that you acquire and load into your own / the above format  ?

Edited by Sheltons Army

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Out of interest Dave

Are these charts that you access directly on the sites you subscribe to , or data that you acquire and load into your own / the above format  ?

I extract the player data from Wyscout (paid for data), load it into a pre-prepared excel spreadsheet I created, and then import that into Tableau (software for charts).  In Tableau I built that template from scratch.  I’ve been refining them for 4-5 years as I’ve taught myself how to use Tableau.

The early versions looked like this:

image.thumb.png.736c1d2aaa8bd95898ab25655e1b1848.png

Over the past 6-12 months I’ve added team data (from Opta - free) to the bottom right hand corner, so I can see if the player is playing for a passing side or a direct one, as that gives context to his stats.

image.png.4a7bef55c4675b44b2c87fa1f985ba53.png

Aside from the viz I usually stick on here and Twitter, each viz has others hidden behind.

This is one for attacking stuff:

image.thumb.png.b8df884103510634f62b5bd8bd536db3.png 
This just gives a different view…but good for comparing more than one player.

Just something I enjoy doing.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

I extract the player data from Wyscout (paid for data), load it into a pre-prepared excel spreadsheet I created, and then import that into Tableau (software for charts).  In Tableau I built that template from scratch.  I’ve been refining them for 4-5 years as I’ve taught myself how to use Tableau.

The early versions looked like this:

image.thumb.png.736c1d2aaa8bd95898ab25655e1b1848.png

Over the past 6-12 months I’ve added team data (from Opta - free) to the bottom right hand corner, so I can see if the player is playing for a passing side or a direct one, as that gives context to his stats.

image.png.4a7bef55c4675b44b2c87fa1f985ba53.png

Aside from the viz I usually stick on here and Twitter, each viz has others hidden behind.

This is one for attacking stuff:

image.thumb.png.b8df884103510634f62b5bd8bd536db3.png 
This just gives a different view…but good for comparing more than one player.

Just something I enjoy doing.

Very impressive work 

I used to be up with some software , using data in applications etc , especially professionally 

These days a basic phone app is a challenge 🙄😁

• Thanks 1