IGNORED

Old picture of Ashton gate

sticks 1969

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just realised I have an early photo of the newly built  Dolman.

img20201030_11570639.thumb.jpg.57d9ff7c88feb101735efe3a10eb930d.jpg

Doesn't help to date the original photo, but I thought I'd post it.

I've got some old ones of the Williams rebuild , I'll post later.

Hah ! I'm on that photo - 3rd left front row.

Been searching for that picture for years.

Thanks.

• Like 4

On 11/02/2022 at 10:05, TomF said:

Invacar - there are a load of them sat in some farmland up in Scotland.  Few people have salvaged one and got them running again. The rumour that they're not able to be used anymore is actually untrue and you can tax/MOT one. 

i think the car is a reliant regal or robin, (rear windows) like delboys van apart from the windows, cant see any resemblence to 70s shape cortinas etc so could it be even late sixties? 1970 is a good shout but might even be earlier??

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

My memories go back before the Dolman was built. Makes me an old git.

Same!  I seem to remember watching a game from the railings where the Dolman is now.     Also I had a friend who knew people who lived in one of the houses on Ashton Road opposite the park and watching a game from their roof.

Old gits forever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

may/may not have been the same time, but I was on a coach to Leyton Orient late 80's/early 90's and that coach got lost and eventually turned up at Half Time. Beryl's face was a picture when she saw what had happened. To be fair to the O's, their programme sellers negotiated with the Police on our behalf and then we went in for half a game for half price 

We got there early enough to 'ave a bit of a knees up on 'ackney Marshes v a team of Orient fanzine geezer fans for the 1990 game. If I remember kreckly @GrahamC was there too, goal-hanging up front and not pressing the Cockernee back four much, and @77 punk did a man-marking job on the one in their team who had a changing room to herself (I assume). Not in a pervy way, to be fair, more of a "if I stick near her I won't get embarrassed too much" kind of way. @Merrick's Marvels was likely involved too, and @British Steel. Possibly @Huntstile Red too, tagging along, and hogging the ball in midfield / dishing out some "bants" / bringing some Bez type vibes to things. Those were the days ....

We should organise a re-match (and take a defibrillator with us)

Recall a junior reds arranged football game against the young magpies.

A meal was included after the game.

We got to the park, and a bloke turned up after about a hour.

They couldnt raise a team, but he did have two bin liners full, of magpie crisps and lemonade.

Ruth asked him did you bring a ball?

No he said.

I expect hes working for fifa by now.

16 hours ago, BigTone said:

My memories go back before the Dolman was built. Makes me an old git.

Agree with Big Tone as I must be an old git too. I remember before the Dolman was built. My dad and I always got in to the corner of the East End and looking at the pitch then there was just flats from memory on the right hand side.

I have fond memories of Ashton Gate sine my first match around 1968 and I was six years old.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i think the car is a reliant regal or robin, (rear windows) like delboys van apart from the windows, cant see any resemblence to 70s shape cortinas etc so could it be even late sixties? 1970 is a good shout but might even be earlier??

It's not a Reliant Robin, my dad had one in the 60's when he was learning to drive as you could drive them on your own with a motorbike licence. 

It could be a Regal, @TomF and I might be wrong because I think the Invacars were only 2 seaters with only one window on each side.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TomF said:

I always think of that reliant dealer on Stapleton road whenever they get brought up. Must of have soldiered on into the 2000s ?  

Of course they weren't exclusively 3 wheeled vehicles. The Scimitar was a really nice car and being all fibreglass it was quick and lasted forever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Scimitar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Of course they weren't exclusively 3 wheeled vehicles. The Scimitar was a really nice car and being all fibreglass it was quick and lasted forever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Scimitar

didnt the kitten have 4 wheels?  my grandfather had a regal, lived in the bungalows at the top of cheston coombe. there were occasions when it wasnt running right that we had to get out and walk up part of the coombe as it wouldnt pull all the weight.  he used to say it was my grandmother jokingly to make us laugh.i would have been 6-7 at the time

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

didnt the kitten have 4 wheels?  my grandfather had a regal, lived in the bungalows at the top of cheston coombe. there were occasions when it wasnt running right that we had to get out and walk up part of the coombe as it wouldnt pull all the weight.  he used to say it was my grandmother jokingly to make us laugh.i would have been 6-7 at the time

I remember similar experiences in the Robin, being overtaken by a man on a pushbike going up Redcatch Hill was a story told many times in our house. :) :facepalm:

On 11/02/2022 at 10:59, RedRock said:

Superb, but can we change the title from ‘old’ to ‘quite recent’ please.

Those that recall that picture as being like yesterday, don’t need to be reminded that we’re now approaching pension age.

Thanks.

My thinking has always been that if it has the Dolman Stand in it, it's not an old photo.

Just checked the date and it's somehow 2022. I may have to reassess this one.

• Haha 1

On 11/02/2022 at 06:13, sticks 1969 said:

Just found this on the net so thought I’d post 

26FBE6C8-6DAF-444D-AD9C-DD65CB17442B.png

70’s. I used to sit on my Dad’s shoulders on the terrace at the far end. He got a better job so we then ended up sitting in the Williams. I really thought we were the bollocks when we had proper seats to sit in.