IGNORED

Wycombe Wanderers away Carabao Cup match day thread

3 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

How many were sold? Will be getting there late and it’ll be a right pain in the arse to get there and have no tickets left

Last I saw it was over 800 but can’t imagine many will be turning up without tickets. Worst comes to the worst go in the home end.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
20 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Personally I can't get my head around this.

I understand that overall the League is our primary competition. However, when it comes to an individual game a Cup game is surely more significant.

If we lose a league game then so what? We stay on the same points and get another opportunity to gain points in a few days time.

If we lose tonight that's it. That's our annual opportunity to win a Cup gone for another year.

I know the EFL Cup may not be the most prestigious competition going, but it's a Cup.

As you say each to their own, but I feel more nerves for a cup game than one of 46 league games we play every year.

Also people don’t tend to remember Cup runs unless you’re a supporter of that club, and they don’t win you anything at the end of it. People remember promotions, and playing with the big boys on a regular basis than a one off occasion means more to me??

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You feel more nervous for tonight than you did on Sunday v Cardiff?

Interesting that.

In terms of the consequences that stem from the result yes. Lose tonight and we're knocked out of the competition for good, it's gone, any chance of replicating 2017, or of going better than that, is gone. Lose last Sunday and it's just some points dropped/not won. We get another chance to win three points on Saturday, and then another 40-odd chances to do so over the next 9 months. 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Also people don’t tend to remember Cup runs unless you’re a supporter of that club, and they don’t win you anything at the end of it. People remember promotions, and playing with the big boys on a regular basis than a one off occasion means more to me??

As I said, I appreciate that the ultimate prize available in the league is greater than the one at the end of the League Cup run. However, the significance of a single league game within the league competition is much less that the significance of a single cup game within that competition.

Interesting that you've brought the memory of games, wins, promotions etc into this. Personally I'd say I remember the 2017/18 cup run with as much clarity and perhaps even fondness as I do the 2014/15 promotion. I've heard from many fans that the trip to the Etihad, and leading at HT, is one of their very fondest memories as a City fan.

Of course we also had the JPT victory in 2015, and that in itself is a great memory of mine - seeing my team win at Wembley was brilliant, and that isn't something every football fan gets to see. That was a cup run, in a competition even more minor than the won in which wee play tonight. I'd be gutted if I didn't have that memory.

• Like 2

New ground for me tonight, so I'm excited.

Had to move heaven and earth at work to get the time off so hopefully my effort and sacrifice will be worth it. Couldn't get the day off tomorrow either so hopefully a straight win for us and no penalties ?

• Like 7
  • Admin
2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Yes, the possibility of the 3rd round draw giving us Man Utd at home mixed with the reality of giving us Gillingham away makes for lively debate here.

Just in case 

Screenshot_20220824-143118_Twitter.jpg

18 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

How many were sold? Will be getting there late and it’ll be a right pain in the arse to get there and have no tickets left

It's not going to sell out

We sold 800 of our INITIAL allocation of 1000

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

In terms of the consequences that stem from the result yes. Lose tonight and we're knocked out of the competition for good, it's gone, any chance of replicating 2017, or of going better than that, is gone. Lose last Sunday and it's just some points dropped/not won. We get another chance to win three points on Saturday, and then another 40-odd chances to do so over the next 9 months. 

As I said, I appreciate that the ultimate prize available in the league is greater than the one at the end of the League Cup run. However, the significance of a single league game within the league competition is much less that the significance of a single cup game within that competition.

Interesting that you've brought the memory of games, wins, promotions etc into this. Personally I'd say I remember the 2017/18 cup run with as much clarity and perhaps even fondness as I do the 2014/15 promotion. I've heard from many fans that the trip to the Etihad, and leading at HT, is one of their very fondest memories as a City fan.

Of course we also had the JPT victory in 2015, and that in itself is a great memory of mine - seeing my team win at Wembley was brilliant, and that isn't something every football fan gets to see. That was a cup run, in a competition even more minor than the won in which wee play tonight. I'd be gutted if I didn't have that memory.

The first paragraph I can’t get my head around. I appreciate that’s your view but I’d take losing tonight all day long if it meant victory last Sunday v Cardiff! I’m sure if we were playing tonight at home, you’d probably have around 8-10K in there tops. So the view of yours would leave you in the minority no?

That 17/18 Cup run was great, but that night at Bradford will live with me forever! We romped the league.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

My son went to Uni in Wycombe. He played rugby for Wycombe RFC - and went to a football match when WWFC played the Gas - as a Wycombe fan!!

does Akenfenwa (spelling) still play for them? He is an absolute beast!

prediction 2-0 City

Akinfenwa now retired at the end of last season - at last.

He was only just over 6' but built like an outhouse. totally immobile but players just bounced off him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Personally I can't get my head around this.

I understand that overall the League is our primary competition. However, when it comes to an individual game a Cup game is surely more significant.

If we lose a league game then so what? We stay on the same points and get another opportunity to gain points in a few days time.

If we lose tonight that's it. That's our annual opportunity to win a Cup gone for another year.

I know the EFL Cup may not be the most prestigious competition going, but it's a Cup.

As you say each to their own, but I feel more nerves for a cup game than one of 46 league games we play every year.

Interesting points.

I tend to feel more nerves for League games - as you say it's our primary competition. Cup games feel more like a free hit for me, especially with the fact that both teams are likely to make changes. It can be interesting to see some slightly different players/team selections though. I think fans also place more weighting for 'bragging rights' on League games, so it doesn't feel like so much is at stake in terms of our reputation when playing Cup matches.

I suppose the fact we know we don't really have any chance of winning the Cup perhaps dampens that excitement a bit? It's typically more of a "when will we be knocked out?" feeling, rather than a "can we win it?" feeling. Comparatively, with the League we're more likely to be involved in a top 6 finish or relegation battle (not saying either of these are likely this season, but they're more likely than us winning a domestic Cup).

If we became a Premier League team for whom winning a domestic Cup was a realistic ambition, then I think interest in the Cups would increase significantly. FWIW, seeing City win the FA Cup/League Cup is probably my ultimate goal for the club - I think it's the most we could realistically hope to achieve in my lifetime.

29 minutes ago, BCFC-Tom said:

Looking forward to playing Gillingham next round if we win….

I was so wanting it to be Exeter, for obvious reasons, when I saw Gillingham won on penalties I had that sinking feeling it’s gonna be them away.

Dreaming of a 20 minute trip to facing a 9 hour round trip

2 hours ago, Bcfc24 said:

Pub for tonight in Wycombe?

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Good set up at the ground too. Pub tent outside away and. Quick service. Will be open HT too

4 minutes ago, CTRed said:

No Weimann or Williams tonight but both made the trip together. They were here before the team bus, parked by myself at the ground

In the away end 

• Robin 1