IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I don't want to get into a debate about this on a very, very sad day.

Some figures for you. The Royal family took £120m in tax last year. They brought in 1.9 billion into the economy. So you without them, people would be struggling a hell of a lot more. They cost each person £1.29 in tax a year. 

Let that sink in. 

Tourists would visit those buildings regardless of whether a bunch of people born into blood money lived in them.

• Confused 1

I find it strange that there is just talk about football matches being postponed. Football, at professional level, is an entertainment, but there is never any possibility of other entertainment being cancelled on Saturday afternoon.  Imagine the uproar if all cinemas and theatres were closed and all TV programmes cancelled. Many people feel sad at the passing of the Queen, but cancelling entertainment on Saturday afternoon is a strange way of showing respect. There are other ways to do this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As I said I have no problem in marking respect but why does it have to be so mournful. Why can't we cheer for the Queen, have a two minute applause etc. Isn't it Russia that plays mournful music all day when their leader dies. Practically too people will have committed funds for Saturday, especially Preston supporters. 

I would rather we play so not disagreeing but honestly don’t think there is a hope in hell of it going ahead because this is a once in a life time event 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Your completely entitled to your opinion mate and I know sometimes the way I put my points across on here are abit more extreme than I want them to be but the way people and the media go on it’s as if her life is worth more than say an old lady who passes away on a council estate . 

In some respects it is? She was more important than my Nan, that’s just a fact. She’s served her country for 70 years - whatever role that’s in deserves respect.

I’m not advocating cancelling of sport, I’d rather be at football Saturday and if I’m not I’ll be down in london most likely paying my respects.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Artcliffe exile said:

Can’t believe the stupidity and crassness on this thread derogatory comments on two great role models the queen and diana

i hope I can watch city on Saturday but please show some respect for pillars of our country people who put the great in Britain 

Please not class the queen and princess Diana in the same bracket 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I find it strange that there is just talk about football matches being postponed. Football, at professional level, is an entertainment, but there is never any possibility of other entertainment being cancelled on Saturday afternoon.  Imagine the uproar if all cinemas and theatres were closed and all TV programmes cancelled. Many people feel sad at the passing of the Queen, but cancelling entertainment on Saturday afternoon is a strange way of showing respect. There are other ways to do this. 

Are you watching the TV? All programmes have been cancelled on the terrestrial channels… I wouldn’t be surprised if theatres are closed to some extent in the next couple of days.

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

The funeral is to be a week on Saturday, so the Burnley game will certainly be postponed, or moved to the Sunday.  The OS says the club awaits notice from the EFL about this weekend’s game.

I’d be amazed if the game on Saturday, Norwich away on Wednesday & the Burnley game aren’t all postponed.

Save me the “I don’t think they should be” or saying what happened back in 1952, I fully expect this to happen as the country goes into 10 days of mourning.

Anyone who seriously thinks the fact there is a November World Cup will be a consideration at all has absolutely no idea how significant this event is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I’d be amazed if the game on Saturday, Norwich away on Wednesday & the Burnley game aren’t all postponed.

Save me the “I don’t think they should be” or saying what happened back in 1952, I fully expect this to happen as the country goes into 10 days of mourning.

Anyone who seriously thinks the fact there is a November World Cup will be a consideration at all has absolutely no idea how significant this event is.

It's difficult to discuss with confidence when we're just speculating.. but the world is very different to 1952. That precedent surely indicates that common sense prevails and there isn't mass cancellations.

As an aside, I genuinely think if there hadn't been Covid and the lockdowns - people wouldn't seriously entertain the idea of this "mini lockdown" that's being mooted. It seems to have been accepted into public consciousness as a genuine solution to things after the past couple of years. 

Just now, GrahamC said:

we all understand its significance.  What some think is that the evidently heavily over planned arrangements will actually be counter productive and cause antagonism when they should be viewed by decision makers as a way for normal people to pay their respects.

It is 2022, not 1901.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

Just now, The Bard said:

we all understand its significance.  What some think is that the evidently heavily over planned arrangements will actually be counter productive and cause antagonism when they should be viewed by decision makers as a way for normal people to pay their respects.

It is 2022, not 1901.

I know when it is, but I’m saying what I believe will now happen, whether we actually agree with that or do not.

Just now, man in the middle said:

But we’re all have to carry on going to work to pay our taxes whilst we’re unable to go to football or enjoy ourselves. I have upmost respect and love for our Queen but in a time when life is so bleak and dark god let us have something. We can then all stand together and pay our respects, what better way to do this than 20k all singing god save the queen this Saturday? 

Exactly.  

3 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

But we’re all have to carry on going to work to pay our taxes whilst we’re unable to go to football or enjoy ourselves. I have upmost respect and love for our Queen but in a time when life is so bleak and dark god let us have something. We can then all stand together and pay our respects, what better way to do this than 20k all singing god save the queen this Saturday? 

I concur

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Are you watching the TV? All programmes have been cancelled on the terrestrial channels… I wouldn’t be surprised if theatres are closed to some extent in the next couple of days.

A very small number of channels - eg BBC, ITV 1, Channels 4&5 etc have cancelled the normal schedule. The majority are still showing advertised programmes. It’s understandable why those channels that have made changes have done so as this is breaking news, but this is not going to be ongoing for the next few days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

A very small number of channels - eg BBC, ITV 1, Channels 4&5 etc have cancelled the normal schedule. The majority are still showing advertised programmes. It’s understandable why those channels that have made changes have done so as this is breaking news, but this is not going to be ongoing for the next few days. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some disruption to programming for a few days. Saturday night tv may look different to billed for example.

Not saying I agree with it, though I’m enjoying the news coverage tonight (if that’s the right word!) just what I think will happen.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t understand it. Why do we have to stop? 

Makes the whole situation more bleak doesn’t it?

It’s utter shite. So much for the ‘stiff upper lip’ of the British. Go to work, cry in a darkened living room at the weekend, go back to work. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Just to show I'm also affected by the death of the Queen. 

On Wednesday I was going to London with my new partner, those that know me or know my past will know how I got divorced and had many tough years where some days I really couldn't carry on. 

We were due to go away together for the first time together, on Wednesday afternoon we have VIP tickets to the Christmas filming of Live at the Apollo then Wednesday night I've booked a VIP box to see Phantom of the Opera. 

Thursday we were doing the tourist thing having lunch at The Savoy then going to The Natural History museum on the Thursday before travelling home. 

I'm obviously gutted that this time away is likely to be ruined, but in the great scheme of things we can go again one day if it's cancelled. I'd bet the family of the Queen wish they could see her one day again. 

For Saturday it's like a postponement, we're a bit gutted but we know it will be replayed another day. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to the game on the weekend, adds a bit extra to the occasion in the sense that it will still be on everyone's mind and should be interesting being in a crowd with people still processing it/some tributes or whatever, obviously games to be called off when it's the funeral but 2 weeks in a row (3 if you include the break) is too much for me. I watched a little TV earlier but for me personally mine will be off for weeks now, football on Saturday please. ?

1 minute ago, East Londoner said:

If the monarch died suddenly and unexpectedly then it probably would be appropriate like what happened with Diana to postpone but everyone knew this day was coming and there are appropriate ways of allowing people who want to mourn to mourn without forcing it on those who don’t want to 

Thats probably a good point.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Monday 19th being mentioned as the day for the funeral, we'll all get the day off that day 

Agree with your last line about the song, it's no wonder people are saying the atmosphere is flat at the United game this evening. 

Maybe it's too soon but the footage on TV does not seem as emotional as when Diana passed away 

• Like 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

If the monarch died suddenly and unexpectedly then it probably would be appropriate like what happened with Diana to postpone but everyone knew this day was coming and there are appropriate ways of allowing people who want to mourn to mourn without forcing it on those who don’t want to 

As Marcus said above you raise a very valid point, but as this is such a rare event I wouldn't be surprised if the protocol was out dated in some ways