IGNORED

Burnley away match thread

We need to be better in possession and disciplined out of it. Burnley will see far more of the ball and Scott and James will have to turn over in the middle of the park more often. A tough second half, but brilliant to be 1-1, by being compact and taking our chances. Keep it up City.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Funny old game. Gave Norwich a real test and thought we were unlucky overall, even if somewhat self inflicted. Burnley given us as good a going over that half as we have had this season, and we are level.

Hard to get the ball off them. Bite your hand off for a point, but having been down very early, at least making a game of it.

Perhaps a long journey too far in too short a space of time, can understand why we wouldn’t change a winning team, but James and Wiemann to a lessor extent look jaded.

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

The moaning on here is bonkers. 

Burnley have some good, very good players for this level as you would expect with the unfair parachute payment system. We have made them work very hard. We got back into the game after a difficult start. Full credit to the team. Cannot call which way this game will go. Another enjoyable match. 

The way we conceded the first goal fully deserved some moaning. 

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Burnley have some good, very good players for this level as you would expect with the unfair parachute payment system. We have made them work very hard. We got back into the game after a difficult start. Full credit to the team. Cannot call which way this game will go. Another enjoyable match. 

Well said

The best side I’ve seen in Championship so far this season 

Delighted that we are giving sides like Norwich and them , a real game

How refreshing it is

• Like 6

We really grew into the game once we figured out what their gameplan was and got the nerves out of our backline but it's frustrating that we're still making those mistakes that is just down to communication.

I'm concerned about the first 10 mins of the second half, we need to stay switched on, Burnley have control in the middle and they are tiring down our strikers so we need to pressure as a team and push the line up when they're not coming forward so our strikers don't burn themselves out chasing the ball. 

You can see they're not as strong at defending in wide areas, Jay is having plenty of joy down his wing, Sykes as well although they seem to defend better on that side. They definitely want to play possession so we need to draw on last seasons tactics and play on the counter, we know we're capable of playing on the counter so we're more than capable of getting it wide, using that space and taking advantage of getting the ball in the area. 

I think this match will all come down to our counter attack, we aren't comfortable enough to outplay Burnley at the possession game so we just need to keep pushing them back until they make a mistake and counter them, we just cannot afford to sit deep, that's where we'll get caught out.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Burnley average 66.3% possession in the games they have played this season according to sky sports. We were never going to have much possession. Burnley are a very good side 

Burnley the best side we have played so far for sure. We will do very well to leave with a point. Think I'd swap out James, who is too static, for HNM and consider Semenyo with at least a full 30 mins to play.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I honestly don’t think it’s moaning ,

I think most city fans know we are on the right path but you got to state the obvious our defending is very poor overall and teams seem to score the easiest of goals against us . 
think we are still in this game big time because of our fire power and ability going forward , but we do have howlers in us at the back  . This game could go either way .

last year or the year before we would be 2 or 3 down now and praying for the final whistle to save embarrassment.

• Like 2
Just now, Top Robin said:

The way we conceded the first goal fully deserved some moaning. 

Looked at it again, the scorer was in one of those positions where errors seem to happen in terms of who closes down, is it the midfielder coming back or is it the centre half coming out of position. 

I suspect in the same position 20mins into the game he doesn’t score, 3 mins into the game and we’ve not got match organised

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I'm more than happy to hold my hands up at having a moan at times but we are capable of competing with this team,  we just need to do it in the right places. We could do with a Cork and when they go forward they have so many places they can score from but with our current form up front we can take this match, we just need better communication at the back and then to hit them on the wide areas. If we lose this it'll suck but I'm actually optimistic that we're showing we can play good football and have a bite to us this season. My only concern is the mental aspect of the kick off coming up now when some of our players seem to take a good few minutes to grow back into the game and our lack of cohesion in the back three.