IGNORED

Nige - post match.

The Humble Realist

9 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s brilliant management,you played like you have so stick it out and expect the flack you will get(although it seems they don’t only the manager) and the whipping boy vyner of course 

Alternatively you take off underperforming players and we might play better? I realise there’s only a limited number of subs and it sounded like the whole team could’ve come off at half time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s brilliant management,you played like you have so stick it out and expect the flack you will get

It certainly is. Nige is an experienced and professional manager who has spent his entire adult life involved in the beautiful game. He was a top CB and born leader on the pitch   - natural gifts that he’s carried into his managerial career.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You might be right BUT it's also true whether people want to recognise it or not, given Zak is the whipping boy, that he has been our most consistent performing defender for weeks. Hands down. I dare anyone to say that either Naismith or Atkinson have been better defensively.................because if you do you are either blind or in denial.

No player covered themselves in glory today, none. I think Vyner has had a number of improved performances since the start of the season and now has had to form a new partnership with King. I don't think he is one of the ones Pearson 'punished' by leaving them on.

Weimann for example is way off form, possibly not fully fit after being injured whilst playing for Austria. But his drive, leadership and passion has been missing since then. As a senior player he needs to look at himself too. And I don't say this lightly, he is one of my favourite players due to those qualities.

Two other points, Bentley seems to not be able to positively influence much as Captain. Unlike Coventry though he wasn't constantly screaming at players. And I think Semenyo and Wells have a better understanding than him and Martin, so wrong subs made

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Super said:

So what players got left on?

Think he might’ve been referring to those who stayed on at h-t, not necessarily all 90.

FWIW I though Dasilva was crap, I thought Massengo was and Sykes too…and I mean in terms of putting in the required effort today.

Conway and Wells were tactical….they were neither good nor bad, they had no service to prove that one way or the other.

I thought a couple of others were poor, but not from lack of effort though.

• Like 1

Our fans "must be thinking... 'what the hell was that?' " Certainly are.

But it's not as if we  haven't seen it all before, Nige: most games in your first season. Last season:  Blackpool (a), West From (a), Millwall (a) Birmingham (a), Coventry (a), Sheffield United (a), Barnsley (a), Swansea (a), Forest (a). Yes, I saw them all. (I didn't see Fulham (a) but we did lose 6-2.).

He makes it sound like something unusual.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Worth a read…

4310CB83-9C08-41F0-92C5-F6B571A36168.jpeg

I thought him taking Massengo off for Kadji was more of a statement to Han, rather than Kadji improving us. Massengo was awful and shying away, could’ve easily have put Klose on at CB and move King to CM but didn’t. 

Can agree with him re HT subs because Martin and Semenyo basically had to come on to try and change style considering the first half style was so bad. 

All the bashing of Vyner has purely got to be personal vendettas, or just didn’t watch the game. Part of a very poor defence but certainly no stand out compared to the others. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I thought him taking Massengo off for Kadji was more of a statement to Han, rather than Kadji improving us. Massengo was awful and shying away, could’ve easily have put Klose on at CB and move King to CM but didn’t. 

Can agree with him re HT subs because Martin and Semenyo basically had to come on to try and change style considering the first half style was so bad. 

All the bashing of Vyner has purely got to be personal vendettas, or just didn’t watch the game. Part of a very poor defence but certainly no stand out compared to the others. 

Han was awful today.  Agree re statement to Han.  No doubt he won’t be keeping Joe Williams out on Wednesday!

Re Vyner, he tries his hardest, but you can’t change the player or character he is.  He has done okay this season, bar the odd mistake.  And in many respects it’s just as well he’s stayed fit.

• Like 4

Think I heard roughly the same interview last season after Blackpool (a), West From (a), Millwall (a) Birmingham (a), Coventry (a), Sheffield United (a), Barnsley (a), Swansea (a), Forest (a). Those performances were all variations on dire. My particular 'favourites' were conceding three times in the second half against ten men v Coventry and, er, a 3-0 defeat at Birmingham.  

I sincerely hope today was a 2022-23 outlier. If not, we're in for a long winter. 

40 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

So leaving players on to spite them even though they deserve to come off - is that not cutting off your nose to spite your face? More to the point is it really good management?

I’m on the fence with NP for the record. I can see the issues he has to deal with but his track record is middling at best, IMHO.

I'm sat on that fence with you. The squad lacks physicality and that has been blindly obvious for at least 2 years.

For what its worth i think Vyner has done OK in the last half a dozen games but he isn't good enough if we want to progress. Atkinson has got ability and can compete physically but the squad overall lacks players that can physically compete. Nige has had more than enough time to sort us out defensively.

Alex Scott is 19 and puts himself about, but we don't have enough knowhow in key areas.

I completely understand where we are financially but sadly this is going to be another tough season.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That’s just a guess, isn’t it?

I don’t think anyone comes out of today’s game with much credit (maybe Scott) but this obsession with Vyner is really tiresome.

NP didn’t have to pick Vyner today, he had Klose on the bench yet he chose to do so.

By the way Vyner has a 100% availability record this season, during the pandemic one only him & Wells were available for all 46 games.

I’m not saying he’s definitely good enough to be a regular starter, but in a very small squad with a couple of key players injured, he’s doing a job no one else is available to do.

Someone had to say it and I reckon he has grown into the season. Ideally he would not be playing every game but he isn’t really a liability. No more than anyone else imo. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Han was awful today.  Agree re statement to Han.  No doubt he won’t be keeping Joe Williams out on Wednesday!

Re Vyner, he tries his hardest, but you can’t change the player or character he is.  He has done okay this season, bar the odd mistake.  And in many respects it’s just as well he’s stayed fit.

Re Han….

I’ve made my thoughts on him clear before. There’s something there, but there isn’t enough. If he was Henry Moore from Crewe, he wouldn’t get nearly the slack he does - he’s played 100 games at this level and has dominated maybe two? Then compare and contrast with the younger/less experienced Scott - who I know is an exception in a lot of cases.

He’s leaving in the summer, no doubt. And it’s because he probably thinks he’s worth more than he actually is. I don’t think it was a lack of effort today necessarily - it’s more that he isn’t actually that good and hasn’t moved on and developed since the day we signed him.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think he might’ve been referring to those who stayed on at h-t, not necessarily all 90.

FWIW I though Dasilva was crap, I thought Massengo was and Sykes too…and I mean in terms of putting in the required effort today.

Conway and Wells were tactical….they were neither good nor bad, they had no service to prove that one way or the other.

Agree with names mentioned and throw in Vyner & Weimann.Felt for Wells & Conway as no service as you say although Wells overplayed to concede corner for first goal.

Edited by Shuffle

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's exactly how I saw it.

I'd have made seven changes at half-time: Moller for Bentley; Kalas, Merrick and Hunter for the back three; Barnard and Sweeney for the wing backs; Gow for Massengo. Might have considered Andy Cole for Wells or Conway, but forward players weren't necessarily the problem.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just saw this too.

image.thumb.png.a002d8cb40bcd6f5c52496054987eafb.png

Have to say that's one of the best things i've ever read.

"Take me off Boss got a twinge in my calf and foot is painfull after that last tackle."

Pearson."Stay on lad i'v had a word with the two Brum Centre Backs at H/T,They will test you out to see if you'r fit for Preston."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Alternatively you take off underperforming players and we might play better? I realise there’s only a limited number of subs and it sounded like the whole team could’ve come off at half time.

Only had 5 subs and 3 was pretty bold for half time.  

But if you're defensive sub is only really there for an  emergency and you're 2 0 down, you probably think.  No, keep them on and I'll pick him in the next game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Agree with names mentioned and throw in Vyner & Weimann.Felt for Wells & Conway as no service as you say although Wells overplayed to concede corner for first goal.

Re Weimann I have to say I’m not surprised.

He’s gone 10 games without scoring for us now & the Blackburn game (2 brilliant assists & the last time we won) aside, he’s struggled for a while.

However his close season only consisted of a fortnight’s break after the Nations League finished & he played every game last season, so no wonder he’s knackered.

We still have 9 more games until the WC break but when that comes around I’d tell him to go & lie on a beach somewhere with his family, he’s badly overdue a rest.

• Like 2

You can see him squeezing back the anger with all he’s got in these interviews sometimes. Think he’s learnt from past mistakes and ‘saying too much’ when the emotion is high as he alludes to there. He certainly regretted his ‘strange club’ Peterborough interview last season and probably regrets throwing players under the bus publically but you can’t blame him at times. 

4 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Our fans "must be thinking... 'what the hell was that?' " Certainly are.

But it's not as if we  haven't seen it all before, Nige: most games in your first season. Last season:  Blackpool (a), West From (a), Millwall (a) Birmingham (a), Coventry (a), Sheffield United (a), Barnsley (a), Swansea (a), Forest (a). Yes, I saw them all. (I didn't see Fulham (a) but we did lose 6-2.).

He makes it sound like something unusual.

Referring to in the context of this season, okay we've had one or two below par games so far but this really was a step back today from what I've been told.

Some of those weren't quite as bad as you say, Millwall away was a narrow loss at a decent side with a dodgy penalty against. Fulham away Semenyo was great and yes 6-2 is bad but was it a 6-2 game?

Had some useful phases at Blackpool but still bad yes, Swansea was poor in the end and probably mostly tbh.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Referring to in the context of this season, okay we've had one or two below par games so far but this really was a step back today from what I've been told.

Some of those weren't quite as bad as you say, Millwall away was a narrow loss at a decent side with a dodgy penalty against. Fulham away Semenyo was great and yes 6-2 is bad but was it a 6-2 game?

Had some useful phases at Blackpool but still bad yes, Swansea was poor in the end and probably mostly tbh.

I remember coming away from the Millwall game, Mr P, and thinking I felt sorry for all the fans that travelled from Bristol. In fact, I might have written something to that effect here. We barely created anything. The score line was close but it was still a wretched evening and pointed in the direction of a season of excruciating struggle. 

Same with Blackpool. Outmuscled and out thought. Wells’ late goal gave the score line a very patchy coat of gloss.

All the games I mentioned were a variation of dire. Yesterday’s game was right up there with them. An awful performance against team with only 13 points before the game and that had played at Boro on Wednesday night. 

12 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

It was an unusual comment and not sure how to interpret it

I thought he was more inferring that players ‘not on their game’ wanting to throw the towel in and come off needed to learn to feel it and deal with it

A good interviewer (or a brave one) would have pushed on the subject

Arguably left a couple on longer than he would have liked. Massengo and Dasilva.

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Re Han….

I’ve made my thoughts on him clear before. There’s something there, but there isn’t enough. If he was Henry Moore from Crewe, he wouldn’t get nearly the slack he does - he’s played 100 games at this level and has dominated maybe two? Then compare and contrast with the younger/less experienced Scott - who I know is an exception in a lot of cases.

He’s leaving in the summer, no doubt. And it’s because he probably thinks he’s worth more than he actually is. I don’t think it was a lack of effort today necessarily - it’s more that he isn’t actually that good and hasn’t moved on and developed since the day we signed him.

Completely agree about HNM. Neither a defensive destroyer nor an attacking creator. And so unlikely to ever score a goal if he stayed here another fifteen years.

• Like 1

For the first time im actually getting to a point that certain players of this squad I can't support. Pearsons signings I'm generally happy with but I'm hoping they are not falling into line with the rest and the pathetic performances the inconsistent performances they seem to produce,It's to a point I'm embarrassed,People discuss formations and what selection is best but does that actually matter,It's not like Pearson has a option to drop the lot either just glad I'm not Pearson having to put those players on a team sheet each week and if I'm honest looking forward to when these contacts run out and they leave, We need fresh blood all through the squad and nothing from the past management,Players with a mind set to achieve something for our football club.

They need to start proving us wrong (they've had long enough) that they have the mindset to do it! 

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

We were bloody awful but Pearson has to take some of the blame for that.  He’s the one who’s selection had ‘going to get beaten by set pieces’ written all over it.  And guess what, because we had no one apart from Atkinson, who can win defensive headers in that starting line up,we got beat by set plays.  That first goal after 5 mins set the tone for the game and yes there were some seriously underperforming players out there, but the manger has got to to stick his own hand up here and say ‘I wasn’t good enough today’, and I ‘have to set the team up . better to play the opposition we are facing’, especially against such an obviously physical side like Brum.  He also needs to recognise that much more work is needed on the training ground on defending set play routines because we continue to ship goals through them.  

Yes, great, NP gets plaudits for telling it like it is, but I’m not sure that’s the whole picture he’s relating there. I seriously hope he realises that he also messed up yesterday big time. Rather than just blaming the players, have a good look at yourself too Mt Pearson, and what you can do better. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s brilliant management,you played like you have so stick it out and expect the flack you will get(although it seems they don’t only the manager) and the whipping boy vyner of course 

I'd prefer his "brilliant management" to reflect in seeing some improvement in our defensive play..! 

I thought his post match comments were Frank & honest - but what he does about it will determine if its brilliant management, or, more than likely - not..! 

Bar the first 10 games of this season, we have been utter shite for his entire time in charge here and it's only when we can get our attacking play on form, that we get any results - because the improvement in our defensive play has been non existent for nearly 2 years now & that is hugely disappointing, from someone who plyed his trade as a no nonsense CB.