IGNORED

David Bentley

Logical-City

6 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

At what point do people start to recognise that Frankie Fielding was better ? And that our next signing should be a keeper? Sorry he can make all the random world class saves he wants but give me a steady reliable safe hands keeper all day  ? 

Watch Ruddy on the replay of the first goal

Flap on the third goal aswell, may seem opportunistic but he’s not up to standard may have a highlight reel of of saves to compete with many but over a 46 game season, well we’ve had 3 years of Bentley now… have we ever conceded more? 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

At what point do people start to recognise that Frankie Fielding was better ? And that our next signing should be a keeper? Sorry he can make all the random world class saves he wants but give me a steady reliable safe hands keeper all day  ? 

??

The only connection I can think of here is that David Bentley & Frankie both played for Blackburn. Otherwise you have lost me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

Is his bruv Daniel ok though?

1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

Fair point. Bring back Fielding. 

In fact, bring back Welch. 

Daniel Bentley is the championship goalkeeper who has faced the 4th highest number of shots on target.

He's allowed the 3rd highest number of goals per 90 minutes.

His save % is 63% which is low compared to his peers, most of who have a save % of around 70%.

But he's also face the 5th highest xG from open play, and the 2nd highest xG from set pieces.

Levelling all blame for our concessions at his door is to grossly ignore the fact that he's faced a very high number of decent shots and chances. Those shots and chances are allowed by the 10 other players in our team.

He's a solid goalkeeper, we'd struggle to replace him with equal or better, and he's obviously better than Frankie Fielding.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Logical-City said:

I'm now totally convinced this poster is on a wind up

• Like 1

First player to score a goal at the new Wembley.

As for Dan, not his greatest game yesterday. Really not sure what he was doing for the second, he seemed to just watch it go in. Didn’t look great for the third but I was stood a long way away so might be unfair.

Only Nige and the coaches will know if O’Leary is is the better option right now, he’s dropped him before and it wouldn’t surprise me if he did it again at some point.

8 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Attempts to undermine the point without considering your favourite player is a liability 

Whilst your mistake is an easy one to make, I’d say it is your failure to proofread and check the name of a player in his fourth season with the club that has undermined your own point, rather than anything any other poster has done.

Going back to your point, Fielding was a very underrated goalkeeper. However he has not had much game time in over three seasons since leaving and struggled for fitness towards the end of his time with us.

Bentley has done well with us but there are reasons why the often-rumoured Premier League interest has not materialised and I don’t think he would be first choice at many clubs that are better-resourced or more successful than us.  I cannot agree that goalkeeper is the priority area for improvement - not least because we are so light on centre backs and need a defensive midfielder - but I suspect Bajic was bought for a reason and I would not be massively shocked if both O’Leary and Bentley left on free transfers in the summer and a new keeper was brought in. 

• Like 3

The elephant in the room here is that Max O’Leary is not, and will never be, a championship level keeper. Bentley is better than him and even if we think Bentley isn’t the answer long term (FWIW I think he’s a decent championship keeper) then O’Leary certainly isn’t.

The play here is clearly to see how Bajic develops but I don’t see him hitting the first team for a while.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I always thought Maenpaa commanded his box better for example, we seemed more stable for the 2 draws just before Covid but then we concede too many chances in any event so the problems like higher up the pitch in some.ways.

Maenpaa was a better keeper in Bentley who just doesn't command his area enough for me

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

First player to score a goal at the new Wembley.

As for Dan, not his greatest game yesterday. Really not sure what he was doing for the second, he seemed to just watch it go in. Didn’t look great for the third but I was stood a long way away so might be unfair.

Only Nige and the coaches will know if O’Leary is is the better option right now, he’s dropped him before and it wouldn’t surprise me if he did it again at some point.

I see the second goal as being one he couldn’t do anything about.  The first and third he is as culpable as one or two other players.

First one, he back-pedals and stops.  If he continues and tries to punch, there’s a good chance he puts Trusty off as a minimum.

Third one, great delivery, but what is he doing, that’s his all-day long.

There is no doubt in my mind:

• he is better than O’Leary 
  • he is capable of making fantastic saves, and does so regularly
  • he is a totally capable Championship keeper for where we are currently

but, he doesn’t command his area, and I think that creates a lack of confidence in those in-front of him.

As for the OP, Frank Fielding suffered from exactly the same problems too, as does Max.

For me the best keeper we’ve had since we’ve been back in the Champ was Maenpaa.  For me he had the perfect all-round “game”.  Was big too.  He didn’t really need to make big saves, just calm and composed.  It’s a shame Lucic didn’t put the effort in, because he was a great build too, good with both feet and had that bit of confidence too.

If so the OP is insinuating Bents is my favourite player, I’m not sure what they’ve been drinking / smoking.

I agree with @LondonBristolianthat there is a gap for a better keeper.  I hope Bajic can fill that gap.

Its a shame the best two keepers in Lg1 (Cooper and Walton) will be out of our budget range.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whilst your mistake is an easy one to make, I’d say it is your failure to proofread and check the name of a player in his fourth season with the club that has undermined your own point, rather than anything any other poster has done.

Going back to your point, Fielding was a very underrated goalkeeper. However he has not had much game time in over three seasons since leaving and struggled for fitness towards the end of his time with us.

Bentley has done well with us but there are reasons why the often-rumoured Premier League interest has not materialised and I don’t think he would be first choice at many clubs that are better-resourced or more successful than us.  I cannot agree that goalkeeper is the priority area for improvement - not least because we are so light on centre backs and need a defensive midfielder - but I suspect Bajic was bought for a reason and I would not be massively shocked if both O’Leary and Bentley left on free transfers in the summer and a new keeper was brought in. 

A reason why Brentford sold him in the first place.