IGNORED

Lee Johnson

I think LJ gets more than his average share of flack because he was part of what became a hugely disappointing and wasteful period from which we are still suffering the effects.

I thought he was an okay player that played a decent role in our promotion year and play-off season, but as time went on lacked the development in his game to go further. With the fact that his dad was manager obviously didn’t endear him to the crowd when his playing days became stale. I do think he had a decent football brain but feel his abilities were ultimately suited to a lower league.

As for a head coach, he too suffered for me similar issues as he did as a player. Seen to have favourable treatment by what appeared to be a family friend and pet project in the owner, given the time and considerable budget to deliver.

Again he appeared to have a decent football understanding but was guilty of over thinking, chopping and changing, and seemed to have questionable man management skills. Much of this may be gossip, although there seems to be a number of people who appear to back this up that have crossed his path professionally.

For me undoubtedly, the first half of the 2017-18 season, has been the best since Cotts promotion year, in terms of at its best an entertaining team, style and results. I actually thought LJ had cracked it. And for me that’s where it ended. Since that time all his seasons promised so much but ended in real disappointment. I never had the confidence that he had that extra to get us over the line. Partly down to selling his best players and replacing with scattergun recruitment (not all his fault - but he should have made a stand if he didn’t want some of the signings) and partly because he seemed to tear up the playing strategy/style behind that 17-18 successful period and recruit to that successful “identity” to replace the players he lost. Yes, think Brentford, Brighton, etc. Of course this was not all his fault, others (Ashton) also involved. The result of his tenure was sadly an overpaid, over-bloated squad with lack of motivation and direction. Such a wasted opportunity after 2017-18.

I think that’s when LJ started to struggle with his talk to the fans, it became muddled and full of jargon, okay when things are flying but bullshit when you’re struggling.

In contrast, Nige has told us and the club a few home truths about our mentality. Things that deep down we all knew. Nice part of the world, bit comfortable, need to build a different culture. The things that are fundamental to the building of any club. I think what NP might be seen to lack of perceived modern tactical skills, he has brought together a sense of comaraderie, team ethic, individual and team responsibility. And has built foundations within this league. On it’s day the football can be as exciting as that brief 2017-18 period (when at its best) but still has a way to go to make it consistent. He might not deliver it in full, but if we get a successor, then let that be someone who can carry on the strategy to make it even better rather than our usual action of ripping everything up and starting again. 

LJ is an okay coach, might become a very good one, gave us a great first half of 2017-18, but didn’t develop that opportunity at considerable expense which we’re still feeling. Really think he might have beniffited working under a few top managers/coaching set ups before he came here. All the best to him, but what’s happened is done and has been done to death.

Feel very frustrated at this period of supporting City as promised so much, as we look to be 2 or 3 good/effective signings to be a proper play-off challenger. Just hope we can get a bit of consistency and feel as positive as we all seemed to after the Swansea performance. There are some signs of real promise... let’s hope in might start to come to fruition this time.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I would suggest the average reader would consider those negative assessments as abusive too.

Well, let's start with one I have used, blagger.

It's my opinion.

What word would you suggest that conveys the same message but isn't (in your opinion) vitriolic?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Harry said:

But many of the attacks on him are rather far-reaching and in many cases (not all) come from a position of personal dislike from his playing days. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nope, there's no vitriol in my post, and contrary to your assertion that you know my mind better than I do myself I have never 'despised' LJ either as a player or manager.

As you’ll see from the quote above, I said “many cases (not all)”. 
So I’m not supposing to know your mind. If you say you fall into the “not all” category, then that’s dinkum. 
But, your words were still vitriolic. If you say they weren’t coming from a place of vitriol then I guess we have to accept your word. But they ‘came across’ as vitriolic. 
One thing I’ve learned very clearly over the years is the concept of how your words can be perceived by others. Your words gave the perception of being somewhat vitriolic. 

So that’s concludes this latest couple of days on nonsensical LJ bashing. 
See you all again in a few days ……. 
?

• Haha 1

Having watched his latest interview for Fleetwood, a few things stood out for me. 

He mentions his ' unique qualities ' that he's going to bring to the club. What are these ' unique qualities '?

He says he wants to put his stamp on the club...his way of playing ..and coaching the players already there.

For me...this is where LJ has a weak point. 

He has his way of playing...then try's to coach players already Insitu into his way of playing. They may not fit his way of playing...but he has so much faith in his coaching ability, he feels he can coach them into what he wants. 

This is where football management fails often. 

Bring in a new manager, who may play a completely different style to the previous manager, and expect those players to fit in and adjust to your new playing style. 

As we know here...you need time to ship out some and bring in others that suit the ethos. 

LJ is so media savvy...it's now become David Brent. It feels like he wants to distance himself from his father's demeanor. 

It's pretty sad to watch. He's become a character of himself. 

He's so vanilla I feel sorry for his missus. ??

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

He mentions his ' unique qualities ' that he's going to bring to the club. What are these ' unique qualities '?

He is unique in that, he has so much knowledge picked up from Coaches and Clubs from around the World, and no idea how to form them into a shape and style of his own. 

I don't think there is another Coach or Manager out there that can say that. 

• Haha 1

I’ve said this before - but I find the clearly personal dislike of him pretty odd.

I appreciate that it was hugely frustrating that Cotterill wasn’t backed in the same way, and I agree that there was clearly favouritism in the appointment.. and I’d sympathise with the clearly personal dislike if he has self-serving intentions (like Ashton).

Johnson, for all his faults, was desperate to succeed here. I also think there’s the context of which players were ‘his’ and which players were ‘recommended’ that needs to be factored in - but we’ll never know the truth there.

I just find the personal dislike of someone who clearly tried his best a bit odd. He’s not perfect, some of the stuff he says is cringeworthy - but he means well. It’s weird that people are so fixated on him when he left nearly 4 years ago.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 13
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’ve said this before - but I find the clearly personal dislike of him pretty odd.

I appreciate that it was hugely frustrating that Cotterill wasn’t backed in the same way, and I agree that there was clearly favouritism in the appointment.. and I’d sympathise with the clearly personal dislike if he has self-serving intentions (like Ashton).

Johnson, for all his faults, was desperate to succeed here. I also think there’s the context of which players were ‘his’ and which players were ‘recommended’ that needs to be factored in - but we’ll never know the truth there.

I just find the personal dislike of someone who clearly tried his best a bit odd. He’s not perfect, some of the stuff he says is cringeworthy - but he means well. It’s weird that people are so fixated on him when he left nearly 4 years ago.

People don’t like him because of the bullshit he talks ‘ he never learns, he’s just done it again in his latest interview , he was on record saying he had the last say on every signing when he was here, or was he bullshiting agian.

13 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

People don’t like him because of the bullshit he talks ‘ he never learns, he’s just done it again in his latest interview , he was on record saying he had the last say on every signing when he was here, or was he bullshiting agian.

I think there’s more to it than that.

People felt Cotterill wasn’t backed and Lansdown went for ‘his man’ - and that’s a completely valid point of debate.

People feel he over speaks and is a bit cringeworthy - fine.

People feel he over complicates things and is too ‘newfangled’ (measuring of grass/Europe in 5 years) - fine but no context considered (and people probably know that but don’t care because it suits their agenda), the Europe in 5 years thing was clearly exaggerated to highlight Rovers relative lack of ambition (didn’t they say ‘new training ground’?)

I just don’t really like how selective people are, simply because they personally have an issue with Johnson. I think we needed a change of manager, probably far earlier than when he was sacked, but I don’t fixate on all the little personal things others seem to do. I just find that weird. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 4

Ahhhh great, LJ bingo again!!!

I've managed to tick off "If Cotts had been backed like he was"

Just looking for a full house with.....

"Well he was given all the backing he needed"

"If he just kept it simple"

"His 'clubs in the bag' approach"

"The Wolves game"

"Nige is still clearing up his mess"

"Never liked him as a player either"

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ll watch with interest but I wish him no ill. Nearly choked when he talked about establishing pathways at all of his previous clubs though. 

I think it’s amazing that you dislike someone so much that you would take the time out of your day to watch a 10 minute interview for his new club, his 3rd club since leaving here, 3 and a bit years since he left and then take further time out to screenshot it and post on a City forum about his hair. 

I can recommend a good shrink if you need one mate. There’s clearly an underlying issue that you need looking at. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s weird that people are so fixated on him when he left nearly 4 years ago.

I think it’s the long association in the main, firstly as a player, then as a manager.  Best part of 10 years in total.

I don’t care about his “playing days” marmite because I didn’t watch him in those days, but many took their view into his managerial appointment too.

Cotts gets a lot of OTIB coverage too, but 10 years v 2 years is bound to have an effect.

Both were here in the growth of social media…and he does provide a fair bit of material.

It does seem that you are “fixated” if you’re someone that criticises him.  If you’re a supporter of LJ, that’s deemed to be fine and not fixation?

I think it is a bit of a make or break job for him.

54 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Is he taking Jamie Mac with him?

He said he was gonna bring in some of his own staff and keep some existing….so, probably!

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think it’s amazing that you dislike someone so much that you would take the time out of your day to watch a 10 minute interview for his new club, his 3rd club since leaving here, 3 and a bit years since he left and then take further time out to screenshot it and post on a City forum about his hair. 

I can recommend a good shrink if you need one mate. There’s clearly an underlying issue that you need looking at. 

I don’t think it’s that unusual to go and listen to a bloke who has form for coming up with some classic lines, and thinking he might come up with some more.

• Like 4