IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m wondering where that game ranks amongst the all-time great football matches?

3-3, two late goals to force extra time, Mbappe hat trick, Messi dream story, endless incident and goalmouth action….and all in a World Cup final! Got to be right up there hasn’t it?

Given what was at stake, it was the greatest match of all time

At least Messi isn't an out and out cheat like Maradona so if people want to give him that title then it sits ok with me.

This tournament Messi has literally walked through most of the games which is understandable but his balance on the ball seems to defy physics sometimes and the weight of pass is still sublime.

I simply can't like south American teams though as the culture of diving and faking injuries is endemic and bad for the sport. For all the good skills Maradona had, that one bad moment completely undid everything. I admit being old school but that's just the way it is for me.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

At least Messi isn't an out and out cheat like Maradona so if people want to give him that title then it sits ok with me.

This tournament Messi has literally walked through most of the games which is understandable but his balance on the ball seems to defy physics sometimes and the weight of pass is still sublime.

I simply can't like south American teams though as the culture of diving and faking injuries is endemic and bad for the sport. For all the good skills Maradona had, that one bad moment completely undid everything. I admit being old school but that's just the way it is for me.

Spot on - i really struggle to even talk about Maradona and have hardly watched any of his games because of all that hand of god nonsense. And yes i realise Im immature and need to let it go ??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Messi is above all of those IMO

I'm with @Malagoon this.  Mbeppe's achievement was he lifted a sluggish and below-par France to the brink of glory. Messi was surrounded by great players yesterday.  Di Maria, Mac Allister, Alvarez, Otamendi, Romero were all first class. 

Messi's an all-time great, but I abhor the media's obsession with making it all about him. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Spot on - i really struggle to even talk about Maradona and have hardly watched any of his games because of all that hand of god nonsense. And yes i realise Im immature and need to let it go ??

The run for his goal in that match everyone seemed afraid to touch him, surely a missed timed tackle would have only meant a free kick?

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm with @Malagoon this.  Mbeppe's achievement was he lifted a sluggish and below-par France to the brink of glory. Messi was surrounded by great players yesterday.  Di Maria, Mac Allister, Alvarez, Otamendi, Romero were all first class. 

Messi's an all-time great, but I abhor the media's obsession with making it all about him. 

Really? France's squad is much more talented than Argentina's was yesterday. Varane (A multiple CL winner), Griezmann, Dembele, Giroud. I am shocked you think the players that Argentina had were better. France also were the current World Champions. 
Maybe the media's obsession with Messi is because of how great he is and has been for his whole career.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Really? France's squad is much more talented than Argentina's was yesterday. Varane (A multiple CL winner), Griezmann, Dembele, Giroud. I am shocked you think the players that Argentina had were better. France also were the current World Champions. 
Maybe the media's obsession with Messi is because of how great he is and has been for his whole career.

They played below par - possibly as a result of not being fully over the MERS virus which swept the French camp. Giroud and Dembele were particularly off-colour and Varrane had to go off in extra time because he felt breathless. Griezmann was player of the tournament for me, but was subdued in the final and hence was subbed. 

Fair point, about Messi's extended career.  Let's see where M'Beppe ranks in 12 years' time. 

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They played below par - possibly as a result of not being fully over the MERS virus which swept the French camp. Giroud and Dembele were particularly off-colour and Varrane had to go off in extra time because he felt breathless. Griezmann was player of the tournament for me, but was subdued in the final and hence was subbed. 

Fair point, about Messi's extended career.  Let's see where M'Beppe ranks in 12 years' time. 

They played below par but had a team literally full of winners, compared to Argentina's lack of experience (Messi and Di Maria aside). 

Mbappe will need to move to La Liga or the Premier League for me and score at least 30 goals every season to be even compared to Ronaldo let alone Messi by the time he gets to their ages. 

You can spin it no matter however you want about Lionel Messi not being the greatest. The problem is, most of the Football world would disagree with you and most of its legends would too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

They played below par but had a team literally full of winners, compared to Argentina's lack of experience (Messi and Di Maria aside). 

Mbappe will need to move to La Liga or the Premier League for me and score at least 30 goals every season to be even compared to Ronaldo let alone Messi by the time he gets to their ages. 

You can spin it no matter however you want about Lionel Messi not being the greatest. The problem is, most of the Football world would disagree with you and most of its legends would too.

Not what I was saying, mate. In that match alone, taking it singularly, as a one-off contest, I thought Mbeppe was the best performing player, yet all the commentary was about Messi and "his" world cup.  

Of course, he's one of the super-elite players who'll be talked about for all time. As good as Pelé? Possibly, but I can't say, not having been old enough for most of his career. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Not what I was saying, mate. In that match alone, taking it singularly, as a one-off contest, I thought Mbeppe was the best performing player, yet all the commentary was about Messi and "his" world cup.  

Of course, he's one of the super-elite players who'll be talked about for all time. As good as Pelé? Possibly, but I can't say, not having been old enough for most of his career. 

Well of course it was about Messi and "his" World Cup. It was effectively his last match in a World Cup, the last chance for him to win the one trophy that has alluded him his whole career. Mbappe was excellent and almost spoiled the perfect story, but the story was about Messi. 

Mbappe will get another chance, Messi wouldn't have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

They do so because he is THE greatest.

Messi will know that he owes a lot to those players surrounding him yesterday. But he makes headlines for his football. The media obsession takes nothing away from his ability.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

I think that puts to bed the Messi and Ronaldo debate once and for all. The right player will be considered the greatest of this generation.

Yep.

And while both do a lot of good for communities everywhere; one remains humble and a decent guy, while the other is an arse.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep.

And while both do a lot of good for communities everywhere; one remains humble and a decent guy, while the other is an arse.

Humble, introverted, nice guy and just lets his football do the talking. I can't think of an individual who deserved the world cup win more than him, considering the amount of magical moments he has gave to Football over the years

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I strongly dispute the suggestion that there have only ever been four truly great players. I’m sure the likes of Zidane, both Ronaldos and diStefano would have something to say about that. And to suggest that Messi isn’t a true great (the OP’s suggestion, not yours) is laughable. He’s the greatest ever, and he has the accolades to prove it. Mbappe did brilliantly yesterday and will undoubtedly be a great, but Messi was undoubtedly the talisman for this World Cup win, and at the age of 35 that’s an incredible achievement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Humble, introverted, nice guy and just lets his football do the talking. I can't think of an individual who deserved the world cup win more than him, considering the amount of magical moments he has gave to Football over the years

Whilst generally I agree, for balance, Messi was handed a suspended prison sentence for tax fraud, and he has also signed up to be an ambassador for the 2030 Saudi Arabia WC bid, which IMO isn't a great look, not to mention wholly unnecessary on his part given what he earns. 

• Thanks 1