IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Echos of the last major mens football tournament final?

Now, remind me, where was that?

Black. Pot. Kettle. 

Oh yes i forget people died at the Euro final, and shops were looted weren’t they?

Absolutely bollox to compare what’s happening over there to what happened at Wembley.

Edited by Bris Red

41 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Echos of the last major mens football tournament final?

Now, remind me, where was that?

Black. Pot. Kettle. 

Also , you are absolutely deluded if you think there wouldn’t have been fans rushing the gates without tickets if the World cup final had been held in Buenos Aires at either the Monumental or the Bombonera stadiums then you are deluded.

I lived in Buenos Aires for just over a year been to both grounds and the are decades behind us in crowd safety.

Edited by Bris Red

2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Also , you are absolutely deluded if you think there wouldn’t have been fans rushing the gates without tickets if the World cup final had been held in Buenos Aires at either the Monumental or the Armando stadium’s then you are deluded.

I lived in Buenos Aires for just over a year been to both grounds and the are decades behind us in crowd safety.

I haven't suggested that for a moment.

You're the one trying to pretend there's a distinction between the two, not me.

This isn't about crowd safety, and that's not what your initial comment was about either. It was about people's behaviour. Animals was the word you used. I'm simply suggesting that people who riot and engage in that sort of behaviour are animals whether they're Argentine or English.

(And, incidentally, the death appears to have been someone falling from a roof and the 5 year old in a coma after a piece of marble fell off a statue).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I haven't suggested that for a moment.

You're the one trying to pretend there's a distinction between the two, not me.

This isn't about crowd safety, and that's not what your initial comment was about either. It was about people's behaviour. Animals was the word you used. I'm simply suggesting that people who riot and engage in that sort of behaviour are animals whether they're Argentine or English.

(And, incidentally, the death appears to have been someone falling from a roof and the 5 year old in a coma after a piece of marble fell off a statue).

I totally agree, people who riot irrespective of their nationality are animals. Why you thought the need to link rioting and looting of shops to the Euro final at Wembley however i do not know.

No looting or large scale riots on the streets happened before during or after the Euro final at Wembley. ‘Echo’s of the Euro final’ were your words, the scenes in Argentina right now did not happen in London last year so stop trying to compare the two.

Edited by Bris Red

6 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

I totally agree, people who riot irrespective of their nationality are animals. Why you thought the need to link rioting and looting of shops to the Euro final at Wembley however i do not know.

No looting or large scale riots on the streets happened before during or after the Euro final at Wembley. ‘Echo’s of the Euro final’ were your words, the scenes in Argentina right now did not happen in London last year so stop trying to compare the two.

What happened at the Euros was described by the report as a day of "national shame", when thousands tried to storm the national stadium and tens of thousands more created scenes of anarchic disorder. Let's not get into a pointless debate about which was worse - they were both scenes of very significant public disorder.

And on a more general scale, football related or not, England has not been without scenes of even more shocking public disorder in recent years.

All that I'm suggesting (as I think you know) is that you probably wouldn't  have responded to the events in Wembley, or elsewhere in England, with

"**** animals the lot of them. Wouldn't expect anything less from the English though"

I'm not suggesting that you wouldn't agree that anyone who riots is an animal. What I'm suggesting is that the fact that a tiny minority of a population chooses to riot doesn't justify tarring the whole nationality with that brush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

The Messi love in on social media is embarrassing now. I don't know why the rest of the Argentinian team bothered turning up to this World Cup.

They may as well have taken the month off for R&R cuz it's ok, Messi has got it covered. Embarrassing.

Brighton are getting a fair bit mind, aren’t they?! Good luck to them. 

Haven’t been on here since just after the England v Iran game but now fully back in the UK and preparing for the West Brom game in considerably cooler temperatures than the games I saw in Qatar. 

Ended up seeing the five England games plus Australia v Tunisia, South Korea v Ghana (Antoine sadly didn’t make it onto the pitch), Morocco v Canada and Brazil v Cameroon. Saw games at 7 of the 8 stadiums;  unfortunately I couldn’t get a ticket for Stadium 974. 

A few pictures to follow. I’ve seen plenty of comments about empty seats in the grounds - I honestly couldn’t see many in the games I went to (and I don’t think many are visible in the pics below). 

EBCB42CC-1635-44A5-9BCF-B97BBF12BF8B.jpeg

DB32CC1B-9C0C-467F-8B21-49DEBEBEBBB4.jpeg

41FC2B50-2331-49EC-832B-68F559D1BD47.jpeg

535E6D7F-CF3A-468B-B0DB-198E44F76382.jpeg

FBF9D41D-850F-4EA5-9C11-008ABD471B87.jpeg

152DFDC6-096D-4CF9-9632-4F0BB5981F86.jpeg

C6642684-EF87-41D8-B302-3CDB0437E391.jpeg

84E44766-B682-474B-9C06-E9D426D80917.jpeg

• Like 9