IGNORED

Time Since Last Bristol City Penalty

JackiDziekanowski

52 minutes ago, David Brent said:

The only problem now is that when we finally get awarded a penalty, opposing managers will suggest that refs have been pushed into making the decision

And refs may feel less inclined to give us a penalty to avoid such suggestion

There’s nothing we can do about it

It won't take long to get another clear cut shout

As if Martin would have had something to complain about if he got a pen or two on Sunday 

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It won't take long to get another clear cut shout

As if Martin would have had something to complain about if he got a pen or two on Sunday 

Talking of Martin, I had Chris Martin down as top scorer this season, mainly off of the back of pens.  What a tit I am ???

• Haha 2

If Kieth Stroud had been the referee on Sunday I am sure he would have given us a penalty for the tackle on Samenyo and Nathan Wood would have seen red followed by another penalty. 
Some on here may disagree but Mr Stroud has on the occasions he has refereed us this season he has been pretty good to honest 

• Like 2

Maybe we should throw Kevin Friend into the mix as well. It’s well known he’s a city fan and just like his performance in that preseason game against Villa last season is maybe trying a little too hard to show that he’s impartial now he’s in charge of championship referees 

Seems more plausible than the anti Pearson WhatsApp group 

30 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

If Kieth Stroud had been the referee on Sunday I am sure he would have given us a penalty for the tackle on Samenyo and Nathan Wood would have seen red followed by another penalty. 
Some on here may disagree but Mr Stroud has on the occasions he has refereed us this season he has been pretty good to honest 

He was the fourth official……could have had a word in Mr P’s ear! 

My totally uninformed take on it…. Firstly, we are a small club in this league, less pressure on the ref both in the game and afterwards - I also think our senior pros aren’t great at influencing refs. 

secondly, all the odd ref bashing Johnson did, when in truth we were abject in some games, lives in the memory of refs. 

mainly tho, we are poor at influencing refs in game. We need a “talker” who puts the ref under pressure cleverly, ala Livermore at WBA or how Derry used to at QPR

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

It’s not a great article, is it? No context: how unusual is 428 days, what’s the average, how long we’d waited even before the last one, just how extreme an anomoly we are. 

It just comes across a bit like another manager having a moan after another poor result on a lengthy bad run. 

No it's not, but I wouldn't expect much more from the BBC, they seem obsessed with '5 reasons why' click bait style stories these days.

Edited by Red from afar
Duplication
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He was the fourth official……could have had a word in Mr P’s ear! 

Can the Fourth Official Make Decisions? They can't really go so far as making their own decisions, but the referee can seek assistance from the fourth official if he/she and the two assistants have missed a potentially match-changing incident (e.g. possible yellow or red cards and penalties)

Mr P didn’t ask that’s for sure because he could do no wrong. 
I did hear that Mr Stroud and the Swansea bench thought the Samenyo challenge was a clear cut penalty. 
Swansea bench seen with heads in hands as they waited for Nr P to point to the spot !!!

7 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Can the Fourth Official Make Decisions? They can't really go so far as making their own decisions, but the referee can seek assistance from the fourth official if he/she and the two assistants have missed a potentially match-changing incident (e.g. possible yellow or red cards and penalties)

Mr P didn’t ask that’s for sure because he could do no wrong. 
I did hear that Mr Stroud and the Swansea bench thought the Samenyo challenge was a clear cut penalty. 
Swansea bench seen with heads in hands as they waited for Nr P to point to the spot !!!

Probably not....and to be fair he's a lot further away from the incident. But he could at least have said over the earpiece something along the lines of 'come on...they've not had one for 428 days...." :)

2 hours ago, Blunt Anthony said:

OK, How many have Blackpool, Millwall, Huddersfield and Preston had?

I'll look into that. Reading are a divisional high.

One apiece this season. However this has been going on for a while and tjsr quick stat aearch covers League only. Last season?

Blackpool- 7

Huddersfield- 3

Millwall- 5

Preston- 5

For balance the divisional average does seem to be falling but this again is League only.

2 hours ago, Blunt Anthony said:

Genius. Slaughtering referees is nailed on to get them onside with the club. Why has nobody thought of this before now?

Not really the club as such, consider it a bit of old school fans getting into refs. Bit of anger talking when I posted of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

Probably not....and to be fair he's a lot further away from the incident. But he could at least have said over the earpiece something along the lines of 'come on...they've not had one for 428 days...." :)

I remember an interview with Cotts when he was here and he explained how he'd sometimes say to the 4th official "I feel sorry for you because you're getting stick off us and I know it's not your fault, but tell your mate in the middle that he's having an absolute shocker!"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

There was a thread last season detailing potential ones not given, can’t remember them all but pretty sure Scott had decent shouts at home to both Forest & QPR but neither are mentioned here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There was a thread last season detailing potential ones not given, can’t remember them all but pretty sure Scott had decent shouts at home to both Forest & QPR but neither are mentioned here.

Beat me to it. There was the one ( against QPR was it?) where he was pretty much shoulder charged in the head from behind when running into the box clear through on goal.

In Stone Wall terms it dwarfs the great Wall of china.

I think if the guy had finished scott off by bludgeoning him to death with a blunt implement,  the ref would still have waived our appeals away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, cityal said:

Beat me to it. There was the one ( against QPR was it?) where he was pretty much shoulder charged in the head from behind when running into the box clear through on goal.

In Stone Wall terms it dwarfs the great Wall of china.

I think if the guy had finished scott off by bludgeoning him to death with a blunt implement,  the ref would still have waived our appeals away.

The QPR was, Dunne was on a yellow too.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The QPR was, Dunne was on a yellow too.

I cannot find footage of it. I think it was Dec 30th 2021 looking at youtube. City 1 QPR 2. The game that Andy King was sent off...

From what i remember the challenge was hard to describe as a genuine attempt to play the ball, and therefore one might suggest it was a straight red as well as a penalty. Dunne must have been very worried at first, and then laughing as he clearly got away with a bad challenge.

Interestingly this is a lot of what I think is behind the "anomaly": Dunne, a former "name", playing for a former PL club, barges into a young player few outside of Bristol had heard much of... The referee's may not be consciously biased, and there may be no conspiracy, but the unconscious bias approach is to wave away appeals from little old Bristol City in favour of the "famous people".Over time if this unconscious bias happens often enough you get a stat like we have now.

This is also only perpetuated by sky commentary which quite frankly can border on patronising for the smaller club in any contest.

I think this (Dunne did the same and no pen) was the point king made to the ref for his first booking. His challenge while clumsy, and a penalty, was at least an attempt to get the ball (just a "bambi on ice" version).

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cityal said:

I cannot find footage of it. I think it was Dec 30th 2021 looking at youtube. City 1 QPR 2. The game that Andy King was sent off...

From what i remember the challenge was hard to describe as a genuine attempt to play the ball, and therefore one might suggest it was a straight red as well as a penalty. Dunne must have been very worried at first, and then laughing as he clearly got away with a bad challenge.

Interestingly this is a lot of what I think is behind the "anomaly": Dunne, a former "name", playing for a former PL club, barges into a young player few outside of Bristol had heard much of... The referee's may not be consciously biased, and there may be no conspiracy, but the unconscious bias approach is to wave away appeals from little old Bristol City in favour of the "famous people".Over time if this unconscious bias happens often enough you get a stat like we have now.

This is also only perpetuated by sky commentary which quite frankly can border on patronising for the smaller club in any contest.

I think this (Dunne did the same and no pen) was the point king made to the ref for his first booking. His challenge while clumsy, and a penalty, was at least an attempt to get the ball (just a "bambi on ice" version).

Saw it on Twitter the other day, wasn't in our club produced highlights for some reason..

Will try to find it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous