IGNORED

Downsy- another moan thread

ohhhshauntaylor

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mean it's not a terrible song. I associate it more with Chelsea, West Brom and Wolves tbh. On Boxing Day we played it pre West Brom game which probably gave them an unexpected boost!

Overall I do prefer something a bit more City themed.

It gets people singing. I agree we shouldn’t play it if we are playing Chelsea, Wycombe, Northampton, wolves or West Brom who all claim some kind of weird ownership of it.

the police requested it was stopped at wolves and West Brom as it apparently promoted hooliganism - not sure what the link is there, that makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Other than him announcing Gomez coming on for Man City for 2 players at the same time and then Dasilva coming off the bench for us twice at different points in the second half he did a great job!

In my 40+ years of attending Ashton Gate, this was the single most inept and shambolic announcement I've ever heard. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

He's almost certainly going to be referring to who the geezer from Sky who loiters around the tunnel (who will feed info about substitutions to the commentators etc.) said scored it rather than the actual broadcast.

There will be a match manager down by the tunnel who could possibly have told Downsy it was Wells that scored it; after all, his view was similar to him.

I told OPTA the second it went in that it was Cornick that scored so our customers would have known correctly. I was 99.9% sure it was Cornick so went with it, the 0.1% remaining was the miniscule thought that maybe it had crossed the line before Cornick touched it (the angle of cross didn't support that!). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

There will be a match manager down by the tunnel who could possibly have told Downsy it was Wells that scored it; after all, his view was similar to him.

I told OPTA the second it went in that it was Cornick that scored so our customers would have known correctly. I was 99.9% sure it was Cornick so went with it, the 0.1% remaining was the miniscule thought that maybe it had crossed the line before Cornick touched it (the angle of cross didn't support that!). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pezo said:

It gets people singing. I agree we shouldn’t play it if we are playing Chelsea, Wycombe, Northampton, wolves or West Brom who all claim some kind of weird ownership of it.

the police requested it was stopped at wolves and West Brom as it apparently promoted hooliganism - not sure what the link is there, that makes no sense to me.

Agreed. West Brom e.g. it got their fans going, fans loved it. Home from home or what.

In respect of the 2nd bit, I did read that basically it is back at one of them now but the issue seemed to be not that I agte3 with the rationale, chanting along "Eff off West Brom" e.g. to the chorus was deemed a risk I suppose.

If it was a one off mistake it wouldn't be an issue, it would get laughed off (Pete Borough anyone?!) but there is a mistake very single game, some very noticeable, very obvious and I think people are just fed up. 
Give me an announcer who announces subs and goals correctly in a simple manner over someone trying to whip the crowd up any day. This simply isn't required at a football match. Nobody comes home and goes 'you know what? That match day announcer really got me hyped up before the game'

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

If it was a one off mistake it wouldn't be an issue, it would get laughed off (Pete Borough anyone?!) but there is a mistake very single game, some very noticeable, very obvious and I think people are just fed up. 
Give me an announcer who announces subs and goals correctly in a simple manner over someone trying to whip the crowd up any day. This simply isn't required at a football match. Nobody comes home and goes 'you know what? That match day announcer really got me hyped up before the game'

Trying is the correct word, not succeeding. 

12 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Bring back the guy from the 03/04 season who actually generated a bit of energy in the ground with his thunderous “comeeeeeeee onnnnnnn youuuuuu redsssssss” before kick off. Don’t know his name, but he sticks out in the memory.

Also, while I’m feeling nostalgic for 03/04, bring back red n’ white nights!

A scarf would be perfect for red and white nights ?