IGNORED

Demonstration Saturday

Rocking Red Cyril

12 hours ago, petehinton said:

Hope it happens in a way as it’ll be so so tragic they’ll look like right *****

They'll look like right w**k**s anyway.

Tinpot, deluded, peurile, self entitled and sad, coupled with a complete lack of awareness.

Not a good look.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

The one prior to 1982, I believe 

Well that's interesting because I am convinced that the same type of fans then with social media access, would have forced Alan Dicks out of this club before he completed his work.

I believe what we are seeing is the reason why Managers don't usually plan for a future beyond the length of their contract. It's clear that what the board want from Pearson and what the fans expect are at odds, mainly because most fans aren't privy to what's happening behind the scenes. I don't think many on this board would if it weren't for the likes of @Davefevs, @Mr Popodopolous et al.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Didn’t happen under LJ despite his regular run of defeats.

He was an extremely lucky manager here. People have such short memories - There were some truly awful performances under him throughout his time yet I've seen some say the recent Stoke and West Brom games being the worst in 30 years. I can only assume they haven't seen us very much. 

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

"Fans not customers" is generally one of those well worn maybe since sometime in last 25 years slogans about discontent with aspects of the modern game more widely. Despite starting in the late 1990s I have some sympathy with parts of that.

The problem is we operate in a certain environment that has been 30 years and more in the making. Some of the POTD prices can be ott but then we have also had some decent ones- Cup games v Swansea and Lincoln, Sunderland at home are a few.

I do have sympathy over ticket prices, moving of kick off times at shortish notice, this sort of thing that affects all clubs. Drinking in view of the pitch, the ban on this feels outdated to me..the problem is that Bristol City as a club can do nothing about most of these and ticket prices well financial reality even in good times means we need to squeeze every penny.

This just feels like a hotchpotch of grievances really, some about wider discontent, the home results in recent months and I use the term results as I think we have often been competitive at home and more than a bit unlucky at times, annoyance at NP and some of his tactics.

We're locally owned, promoting youth, Lansdown family are relatively benign owners and top up the shortfall each year, infrastructure has improved and we are working through a difficult period as a club. Are they perfect? No. Is an incoherent protest with unclear objectives the answers? Not really!

If they were borrowing money from the club (Lai at West Brom), mortgaging us to external lenders (Lai again, plus Glazers, that guy at Burnley and others, Mel Morris at Derby), running us into serious trouble with the games regulators (Mel Morris at Derby again), potentially Birmingham owners, reckless, inept, leeching somewhat in the case of the Glazers and to an extent Lai well that would be very different but they are not. SISU at Coventry, in recent times the guy at Oldham, Dale at Bury, until 2019 owner of Port Vale. I'm off on one a bit there but some of them should look around at serious examples of bad ownership. The model is actually broken in some ways but we are a long way from that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Really?

I'm not personally unhappy and would still vote "Pearson in" but there are many reasons for being unhappy with the way the club has been and is being run and people are entitled to express their displeasure.

That the Lansdown family has covered the losses and regularly writes off the debt to themselves by converting it  equity is laudable but that doesn't make the question of where, and to what reward, all of that money has been spent go away.

The new infrastructure is great but the return in terms of the performance on the pitch, compared to the many tens of millions expended, subsequent to the Cotts' promotion season is very questionable indeed.

I think it's always reasonable to question the way the club is run. I think that constant pressure is required. 

We are extremely lucky to have an owner like Lansdown. The club is unrecognisable to what it was 10 years ago. 

We have a new CEO coming in which will see the club become ever better run than it currently is. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"Fans not customers" is generally one of those well worn maybe since sometime in last 25 years slogans about discontent with aspects of the modern game more widely. Despite starting in the late 1990s I have some sympathy with parts of that.

The problem is we operate in a certain environment that has been 30 years and more in the making. Some of the POTD prices can be ott but then we have also had some decent ones- Cup games v Swansea and Lincoln, Sunderland at home are a few.

I do have sympathy over ticket prices, moving of kick off times at shortish notice, this sort of thing that affects all clubs. Drinking in view of the pitch, the ban on this feels outdated to me..the problem is that Bristol City as a club can do nothing about most of these and ticket prices well financial reality even in good times means we need to squeeze every penny.

This just feels like a hotchpotch of grievances really, some about wider discontent, the home results in recent months and I use the term results as I think we have often been competitive at home and more than a bit unlucky at times, annoyance at NP and some of his tactics.

We're locally owned, promoting youth, Lansdown family are relatively benign owners and top up the shortfall each year, infrastructure has improved and we are working through a difficult period as a club. Are they perfect? No. Is an incoherent protest with unclear objectives the answers? Not really!

If they were borrowing money from the club (Lai at West Brom), mortgaging us to external lenders (Lai again, plus Glazers, that guy at Burnley and others, Mel Morris at Derby), running us into serious trouble with the games regulators (Mel Morris at Derby again), potentially Birmingham owners, reckless, inept, leeching somewhat in the case of the Glazers and to an extent Lai well that would be very different but they are not. SISU at Coventry, in recent times the guy at Oldham, Dale at Bury, until 2019 owner of Port Vale. I'm off on one a bit there but some of them should look around at serious examples of bad ownership.

And this is why when you look at it within the wider context of all these clubs run badly, we are quite well run compared. 

The one thing we have with Lansdown is stability. Under his ownership its very unlikely that we'll ever end up in administration, homeless etc. 

• Like 2

Be good to have one of the organisers explain what it is actually about. Either on here or in wider social media. 
I reckon there are more people replying on this thread than will actually demonstrate on Saturday (drinking at the 3 Lions doesn’t count as attendance!) The lack of clarity on what its aims are means that there really is nothing to get behind. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 2015 said:

He was an extremely lucky manager here. People have such short memories - There were some truly awful performances under him throughout his time yet I've seen some say the recent Stoke and West Brom games being the worst in 30 years. I can only assume they haven't seen us very much. 

Fulham H (2016/2017)
Preston A (2016/2017) (Probably as bad as it gets)
Leeds H (2017/2018)
Brentford H (2017/2018)
Sunderland H (2017/2018) 3-0 up at HT against a team in relegation zone and drew 3-3.
Villa A (2017/2018)
Cardiff H (2019/20)
Blackburn H (2019/20)
Brentford H (2019/20)
Derby A (2020/21)
Watford A (2020/21) 
Reading H (2020/21)
Barnsley H (2020/21)
Any Home match against Birmingham or Preston in the last 5/6 years.

All dreadful performances pre Pearson that some fans have forgot about. There have been way too many over the years (I would also include Reading A this season as being totally unacceptable too, and many last season).
Some of the players have to take a proportion of the blame in my opinion, it's been like this for a few years now and it's not good enough.

• Like 3

I wonder if this “protest” would even be happening if we had won a few home games recently. Surely if they had real conviction about an issue it would. Seems to me as others have said, that it is a few entitled customers who are a bit fed up with our league position.

“What do we want- not really sure. When do we want it- yesterday.”

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Didn’t happen under LJ despite his regular run of defeats.

Steve told us not to, remember?* so we didn't. 

*After losing to Fulham at home, Steve was interviewed and told us off for saying "boo" and told us not to do it again, and to make our "noise" on social medias, so we said "yes, Steve. Sorry, Steve."

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Bristol Oil Services said:

Steve told us not to, remember?* so we didn't. 

*After losing to Fulham at home, Steve was interviewed and told us off for saying "boo" and told us not to do it again, and to make our "noise" on social medias, so we said "yes, Steve. Sorry, Steve."

I remember a few Johnson out chants that evening after Fulham got their 2nd. Cannot remember if 2nd or opener but an appalling error by Matthews.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Fulham H (2016/2017)
Leeds H (2017/2018)
Brentford H (2017/2018)
Sunderland H (2017/2018) 3-0 up at HT against a team in relegation zone and drew 3-3.
Villa A (2017/2018)
Cardiff H (2019/20)
Blackburn H (2019/20)
Brentford H (2019/20)
Derby A (2020/21)
Watford A (2020/21) 
Reading H (2020/21)
Barnsley H (2020/21)

All dreadful performances pre Pearson that some fans have forgot about. There have been way too many over the years (I would also include Reading A this season as being totally unacceptable too, and many last season).
Some of the players have to take a proportion of the blame in my opinion, it's been like this for a few years now and it's not good enough.

That Sunderland game was so bad it was actually funny. But it wasn’t a shock.

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Fulham H (2016/2017)
Leeds H (2017/2018)
Brentford H (2017/2018)
Villa A (2017/2018)
Cardiff H (2019/20)
Blackburn H (2019/20)
Brentford H (2019/20)
Derby A (2020/21)
Watford A (2020/21) 
Reading H (2020/21)
Barnsley H (2020/21)

What really did for us in that Brentford (2019/20) game, they are/were a better side in any event and may well have won was Williams. I'm not one to scapegoat but he had quite a head start on Watkins but was badly outpaced. Last man...straight red. Goal down and man down to an excellent technical, possession well you're in big trouble. However an aging CB in a back 4 in a highish line is asking for trouble- worth looking at that again just how high up the pitch was he. Tactical failing?

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If it's about how the clubs being run,good luck to them I say, 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Despite my reticence to give this any oxygen, I believe it is this. Organised by an Instagram account with some 347 followers they list multiple vague and directionless complaints including:

"We need change"

"We want our club back"

"Fans not customers"

Finally the hashtag in the comment is #PearsonOut which very much suggests that ultimately it is completely to do with Pearson.

In my opinion we are struggling in the league, in the balance book, and when that happens fans get strained. But we're a very, very long way from marching to "get our club back" - whatever that really means.

Screenshot_20230110-072124.png

Louie - it is about the way the club is being run, in so much as they haven’t sacked Pearson.

Last night’s SOTC someone tweeted (paraphrased) - we are 9 days into the window, we haven’t signed anyone, there’s no ambition, how can you expect fans to turn up if the club has no ambition.

it really shows an ignorance of the situation doesn’t it.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What really did for us in that Brentford (2019/20) game, they are/were a better side in any event and may well have won was Williams. I'm not one to scapegoat but he had quite a head start on Watkins but was badly outpaced. Last man...straight red. Goal down and man down to an excellent technical, possession well you're in big trouble. However an aging CB in a back 4 in a highish line is asking for trouble- worth looking at that again just how high up the pitch was he. Tactical failing?

Gonna be honest, I thought every time we played Brentford ever since we got Promoted we looked miles away from them, even in the games we luckily got a win or a point. The 2017/18 home game against them was a 1-0 hammering if anything

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Louie - it is about the way the club is being run, in so much as they haven’t sacked Pearson.

Last night’s SOTC someone tweeted (paraphrased) - we are 9 days into the window, we haven’t signed anyone, there’s no ambition, how can you expect fans to turn up if the club has no ambition.

it really shows an ignorance of the situation doesn’t it.

Quite a lot of fans haven’t clocked the constraints of FFP in all this either. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Gonna be honest, I thought every time we played Brentford ever since we got Promoted we looked miles away from them, even in the games we luckily got a win or a point. The 2017/18 home game against them was a 1-0 hammering if anything

Agreed for most part although the win up there j  2018 and even in hindsight the draw on Boxing Day we matched them. Could we have got something If not for Williams red? Maybe.

I remember the April 2018 game well, we made them look like a prime top world class side, take your pick of the era etc. Got nowhere near them in the main.

Some interesting messaging here. Does that mean if we sacked Nigel Pearson tomorrow we'd all have our club back and feel like fans instead of customers?

Edit: I'm conscious I've probably sounded overly facetious here - my question is what are they actually asking for here?

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Some interesting messaging here. Does that mean if we sacked Nigel Pearson tomorrow we'd all have our club back and feel like fans instead of customers?

If we were playing well and flying high in the table there wouldn't be any moaning about how the club is run.

Has anyone approach the person behind the account that suggested the protest march for clarification as to what they're intending to do (which I will imagine now consists of absolutely nothing)?

Maybe the recent potal strikes has caused delays in the delivery of 'pyro' to the average mail order customer (I have no idea if it is usual to get your pyro delivered or not) and they want to postpone. Or maybe they have a surplus of 'taking back control' t-shirts that were part of some sort of Brexit movement that they'd like to get some value out of.

So many unanswered questions that haven't yet been asked. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Quite a lot of fans haven’t clocked the constraints of FFP in all this either. 

I blame Gould and Pearson for not repeatedly explaining the position to fans at press conferences or a fans forum.

And the fact that we don't have any posters on here who have explained it in detail until they are blue in the face.

Oh, hang on..

• Haha 10
  • Flames 1