IGNORED

Demonstration Saturday

Rocking Red Cyril

1 minute ago, Selred said:

"Not accountable to anybody" is a poor way to run a business. And especially a football club.

Yes he owns the club, but I and many many others including yourself have emotional investments into the club. I think he is accountable to that.

I get your point but it's a private limited company is it not? So the reality is that the owners (Steve and Maggie) are accountable only to the shareholders ie themselves. I have often criticised Steve but I don't kid myself he is somehow accountable to me. I'd settle for him admitting his mistakes but I'm not holding my breath!

I'm afraid that the sentimental view that football clubs belong to the fans (we want our club back and all that) doesn't reflect reality, if it ever did.

I can see it now, the  lads up the Lions mob up and off they march brim full of protest and hope in their hearts, and coke in their veins, they walk on/down through the wind and the rain, and they arrive at the back of the Lansdown  (after "greeting" the players). Steve leans out of a window high up in his ivory t ... er, stand:

SL: "What do you want?"

Mob: "Er, Pearson out."

SL: "You can't demand someone out without putting forward a name to come in."

Mob: "WarnockWilderDycheGerrardThatBlokeAtPlymuffCotts!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, One Team said:

Indeed, I lost a lot if not all respect for him in that infamous Twentyman interview.

All from me. Was a callous thing to say but at least we knew where we stood! It’s all about legacy for him.  Nothing else.    But expect that’s the same for most ‘old school’ British owners so he’s not alone in that.   Just wish he had an understanding of football and football people - both staff and fans.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Let me clear things up;

• I am not part of any group/protest in fact I dont actually go anymore, not since The Eastend got chopped (mainly because of poor health and much prefer the ground as it was)
  • I do watch as many/live streamed games, (including the last one) as possible and see all highlights and goals.
  • Over 50years of attendance to many away and most home games I think have entitled me to my views on this my one and only club. Sorry if they are negative but they are just my views.
  • If NP was sacked tomorrow cant see it would make much difference as SL`s selection of managers hasnt been great. Will be close to the bottom 3 this season whatever and as posted...many times his record here isnt great to date.
  • So here we are just where I found this club in the 2nd tier, back in 67 went up a bit for a very short visit but mostly around where we are now.
  • Your views like others are also just your views, where we go from here who knows prob still around this div in the next 50yrs I for one wont be here to see although a few on here will be no doubt. :city:

Ta, wasn’t having a go at your opinion…I said that specifically.  I was debating the message in the Protestor’s poster, and it’s ambiguity towards what they are really protesting about.

27 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I get your point but it's a private limited company is it not? So the reality is that the owners (Steve and Maggie) are accountable only to the shareholders ie themselves. I have often criticised Steve but I don't kid myself he is somehow accountable to me. I'd settle for him admitting his mistakes but I'm not holding my breath!

I'm afraid that the sentimental view that football clubs belong to the fans (we want our club back and all that) doesn't reflect reality, if it ever did.

Must...not...mention...the...Regul...ah shit.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Actually you could say he's accountable to his staff. If we go down, many would be made redundant. 

2 hours ago, gl2 said:

How dare some suggest sacking a manager that has won 26games out of 92 played and lost 43 hang your heads down

poor manager selection from the main man has got us into "the situation" we are in now imo, the plan of buying cheap/and academy players for money making and progress up this division seems to have got us.....no-where.

Selling our best assests will no doubt carry on though as soon as an offer comes in, then we can continue building...?

It’s not the ‘club back’ that you want then..it’s a time machine 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Selred said:

Actually you could say he's accountable to his staff. If we go down, many would be made redundant. 

He can sack them, they can't sack him though. However unpalatable it is we have to deal with things as they are not as we might wish them to be.

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I've said before that the only thing that will make some fans understand the financial realities is a points deduction. And even then there'd still be a handful that refuse to see it.

"We're bottom of the league due to our points deduction and STILL haven't signed anyone this January! We're sleepwalking towards relegation! Lansdown get your wallet out and show some bloody ambition........2 quality Championship strikers, an experienced midfielder on loan from the Prem, and a solid CB all needed as a MINIMUM!" ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

It really just boils down to a generation of post Thatcher idiots who believe they are entitled to whatever they like and any context that might slow or hinder progress is not just ignored but dismissed as fake news. As with all things, a societal phenomenon manifesting itself in sport culture. 

The irony being they are acting like disgruntled customers rather than supporters (there's a really big clue in the name)...

Nauseating. 

You beat me to it. Nail on the head.

So many of these people will leave at 70 minutes if we're losing, boo if the football isn't entertaining enough (or, more ironically, go for a pint in the concourse), and moan that Pearson "sounds too boring" in interviews,.................

..................then they complain that they're being treated like customers, rather than the loyal supporters that they clearly are ?

• Like 1

Obviously a lot of flak in the direction of Ashton, Lansdown and various others as to our current financial state but.... 

Imagine a world without covid and where the transfer market didn't implode to the degree it did.

Would the club have 'cashed in' some of the assets before the were at end of contract and leaving on a free and if they had, would they have still been about promoting youth players or would they have just spent and gone again in a hope that they'd have found a few more players to profit from? As a business model, it was always flawed, but I do wonder that if the rug had been pulled out from under the leadership spend and sell policy when it did, could we be in a much worse situation where we'd have continued to sign players for strong money on large salaries and hope that every year there is a multi-million pound trasfer that balances the books.

We were quite possibly a window or two away from being in an even worse position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

It’s not the ‘club back’ that you want then..it’s a time machine 

Would be nice, stand at front, stand at back, walk around stand/lean where-ever you want, smoke, drink, swear even agrovate the visiting fans; now all thats missing is a nice pair of slippers under your seat.

Yes nice ground now apparrently but we have no control over who uses it, sorry but dont like what we have become, part of something else i.m.o; rightly or not, its just how I feel.

44 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

You beat me to it. Nail on the head.

So many of these people will leave at 70 minutes if we're losing, boo if the football isn't entertaining enough (or, more ironically, go for a pint in the concourse), and moan that Pearson "sounds too boring" in interviews,.................

..................then they complain that they're being treated like customers, rather than the loyal supporters that they clearly are ?

How many games must a "loyal supporter" have attended, 1 a 100 a 1000? home or away? or both? must a loyal supporter also not question any result/team selection/managers ability/record? or heaven forbid any choice the big boss makes?

What is your record by the way last man out first man in, going by your username.?

11 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Would be nice, stand at front, stand at back, walk around stand/lean where-ever you want, smoke, drink, swear even agrovate the visiting fans; now all thats missing is a nice pair of slippers under your seat.

Yes nice ground now apparrently but we have no control over who uses it, sorry but dont like what we have become, part of something else i.m.o; rightly or not, its just how I feel.

Can’t argue with any of that tbh.  

Football has certainly changed and whilst some things have improved, there’s much that makes me feel increasingly distanced from the club.  

The sad thing is, there’s little sign of that situation improving.

10 minutes ago, gl2 said:

How many games must a "loyal supporter" have attended, 1 a 100 a 1000? home or away? or both? must a loyal supporter also not question any result/team selection/managers ability/record? or heaven forbid any choice the big boss makes?

What is your record by the way last man out first man in, going by your username.?

I'm a supporter of the club. I support Bristol City.

I don't leave the games when we're losing, nor do I boo the team when they make a mistake. Why? Because I'm there to support the team - to encourage them, to make the atmosphere more hostile/difficult for the opposition, and to take an interest in the events of the match and club. This doesn't suddenly change because we're 1-0 down and not playing very well.

I struggle to understand it when people don't view supporting their team in this way, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm not suggesting my view is any more valid than yours or anyone else's. And I agree that it's important to question the players/manager/owner - IMO that's an element of taking an interest and caring about the club.

Surely though, you must see the irony in some fans treating their support and relationship with the club as purely transactional (i.e. if you're not winning/entertaining me then I'm not coming/supporting you), and then complaining that they're being treated as customers instead of fans?

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

24 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Can’t argue with any of that tbh.  

Football has certainly changed and whilst some things have improved, there’s much that makes me feel increasingly distanced from the club.  

The sad thing is, there’s little sign of that situation improving.

@gl2

Not necessarily the clubs fault that, that's part of the wider environment changes both in the game itself and government legislation. Having said that some clubs probably buy into it more than others.

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I honestly don't know what they mean by "we want our club back". 

What examples can anyone give?

Just one of those hackneyed old phrases that crop up every time a group with no actual argument comes up with. On a par with 'We want our country back' leading up to the Brexit vote.

For every City fan wanting Lansdown out, there will be 10 fans of other clubs saying 'we'll have him if you don't want him'

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well that's interesting because I am convinced that the same type of fans then with social media access, would have forced Alan Dicks out of this club before he completed his work.

I believe what we are seeing is the reason why Managers don't usually plan for a future beyond the length of their contract. It's clear that what the board want from Pearson and what the fans expect are at odds, mainly because most fans aren't privy to what's happening behind the scenes. I don't think many on this board would if it weren't for the likes of @Davefevs, @Mr Popodopolous et al.  

I saw a tweet the other day possibly from one of these types of characters. Having a go at Pearson for not buying anyone and SL for not getting his chequebook out -clueless 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A poster said here the other Day it's what happens on the pitch that really matters. Spot on.

Agree partly with what you are saying but equally look at the mess we are in now because of the off the pitch antics. It pains me when you see  others strengthening and we just look like we are hoping for the best. Obviously no money equals no transfers but what we have isn't the greatest quality in squad depth.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

For every City fan wanting Lansdown out, there will be 10 fans of other clubs saying 'we'll have him if you don't want him'

It's all relative though. Lansdown is a good owner, but he has reached his limit. I don't expect us to ever really be more than a mid table Championship club under Lansdown. He hasn't got the motivation or skills to take us to the next level.

He is therefore better than a lot of other clubs owners, but not everything is black and white.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1