IGNORED

Fifth Round Draw: Home to Man City

BUTOR

22 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Yes the tickets are quite expensive but these sort of matches don't come up very often.  

Still a lot cheaper than if we had been drawn away.  We also have the (slight) advantage of there being no replay.  

Although I'm interested in this 2nd bit simply because the PL have their £20 ticket cap thing for away fans- some comparable data would be interesting.

4 hours ago, Super said:

We aren't spurs.

Well obviously but it’s not like a second tier side taking out an arrogant bunch of fancy dans is unprecedented is it? We could get absolutely shafted but by the same token we could send “Pep” home with a black eye. Why not considering the history of this wonderful tournament. If we don’t have belief we might as well not even turn up.

• Like 1
  • Robin 3

just stopping by.     Take the opportunity to wish Robins every success in this upcoming contest.     Seriously, no impartiality, I really hope you can do it.    Remember, all things are possible in this industry.     Few neutrals won't allow you a sniff but now's your chance to stuff words down their throats and really make an impact on this years competition.     We have a tough game ourselves against Burnley, leading team in your league but we held them at home and in truth, don't fear a replay at Turf Moor.  

Maybe in a minority but old enough to recall Manchester City being a totally unsuccessful team playing in front of few crowds at Maine Road with the ZDS / Simod Cup being a viable trophy route.    Not really jealous of their new-found wealth and investment, just don't always like it when some rich foreign owners turn up and take a once completely ordinary club name winning next to nothing, into near overnight celebrities.    Club names like that need to be taken down a peg or too, I look to Chelsea as another prime example, so, once again, best of luck if your Cup meeting at Ashton Gate when the day comes.     Do many 'neutrals' a favour, and put those chumps out.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

just stopping by.     Take the opportunity to wish Robins every success in this upcoming contest.     Seriously, no impartiality, I really hope you can do it.    Remember, all things are possible in this industry.     Few neutrals won't allow you a sniff but now's your chance to stuff words down their throats and really make an impact on this years competition.     We have a tough game ourselves against Burnley, leading team in your league but we held them at home and in truth, don't fear a replay at Turf Moor.  

Maybe in a minority but old enough to recall Manchester City being a totally unsuccessful team playing in front of few crowds at Maine Road with the ZDS / Simod Cup being a viable trophy route.    Not really jealous of their new-found wealth and investment, just don't always like it when some rich foreign owners turn up and take a once completely ordinary club name winning next to nothing, into near overnight celebrities.    Club names like that need to be taken down a peg or too, I look to Chelsea as another prime example, so, once again, best of luck if your Cup meeting at Ashton Gate when the day comes.     Do many 'neutrals' a favour, and put those chumps out.  

Thanks… but “don’t fear a replay at Turf Moor”??? You could easily get done 5 nil up there..

On 04/02/2023 at 12:46, Davefevs said:

Bring a pedant (in the absence of BS4 on Tour), the rules of the FA Cup changed 4/5 years back…the home side decides the ticket price these days…but there are rules around not charging away fans more, etc.  your point about having to offer their ST holders a discount is likely to be accurate and very relevant and a point I made on the “how much” thread.  We’d end up giving say £5 discounts to about 17k fans (our 13k+ and 4k City).

Where is @BS4 on Tour...? On tour? Or maybe just stuck in BS4?

Interesting analysis on the BBC site of why Spurs do well against the Citizens. 
They counter attack  for one. 
They cut off the supply lines to Haaland.

The crowd are right behind them and against the opposition.

Simple really. We are a counter attacking team with dangerous forwards. Check .

We can defend stubbornly.Check.

So the rest is down to us, the supporters. Let’s not watch in awe and silence the Man City megastars. Make this game a very uncomfortable one for them , get under their skins. They are human beings before being footballers. 
I am not stupid, they are the reigning Champions but we have a chance here. We are not just here to make them look good. 
As we used to sing in the East End , Get into ‘em. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So the rest is down to us, the supporters. Let’s not watch in awe and silence the Man City megastars. Make this game a very uncomfortable one for them , get under their skins. They are human beings before being footballers. 
I am not stupid, they are the reigning Champions but we have a chance here. We are not just here to make them look good. 

Of course, goes without saying 

COYRs

7 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Thank you for your well wishes.   But to say Man City were an unsuccessful and ordinary club is pretty wide of the mark imho. They had crowds of 30k plus in the old division 2. Before the new ownership they had won the league twice, the league cup twice and the FA Cup 4 times. If that’s ‘ordinary’ then I’d dread to think what clubs like ours are! Not an attack on you at all - sorry if it comes across that way - but it bugs me when Man City and other clubs histories get re written purely because of new ownership. I would love our club to have their pre money history.  
Still - hope we stuff ‘em! 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2023 at 13:05, sh1t_ref_again said:

but no concern in the earlier rounds for the smaller clubs with much smaller squads, just seems to me the FA likes to make the rules up for the big boys 

Lower teams played through the World Cup though. However more susceptible to the recent whether issues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I fancy an in form, up for it Semenyo would have caused them some problems certainly, especially given the tactical issues that you outline.

MOTD2 highlighted something interesting too- Dier is a CM or defensive mid who goes into a back 3. He was stepping up and pressing a bit.

Naismith can perhaps form a similar role, helping us to switch between 4-1-4-1 and a back 3 where required.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Do you consider Ipswich Town to be a "completely ordinary club"?

I don't, for what it's worth, but you've dug yourself a hole with the comments above.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Hmmm 1

Are we allowed to talk about this game yet? 

I'm starting to believe that with a lot of luck and if we play to our absolute best, we may be able to pull something off. Man City don't seem to be the machine they usually are this season. 

Losing to Southampton in the other cup and drawing away against Forest the other day should give us some confidence that they are not as unbeatable as they usually are.

• Like 1