IGNORED

Fifth Round Draw: Home to Man City

BUTOR

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Are we allowed to talk about this game yet? 

I'm starting to believe that with a lot of luck and if we play to our absolute best, we may be able to pull something off. Man City don't seem to be the machine they usually are this season. 

Losing to Southampton in the other cup and drawing away against Forest the other day should give us some confidence that they are not as unbeatable as they usually are.

Almost frightened to talk about it to be honest.. Our new boys will be cup tied, Naismith and Atkinson both unavailable and only a yellow card against Hull from the unthinkable… we’ve also burned our penalty allowance for the next few years.. All things considered… We’ll win 1-0 ??

COYR’s

3 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Almost frightened to talk about it to be honest.. Our new boys will be cup tied, Naismith and Atkinson both unavailable and only a yellow card against Hull from the unthinkable… we’ve also burned our penalty allowance for the next few years.. All things considered… We’ll win 1-0 ??

COYR’s

A yellow card for Scott and / or Williams won’t affect the Man City game, only subsequent league games.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A yellow card for Scott and / or Williams won’t affect the Man City game, only subsequent league games.

Had to look that up the other day. Red cards count in all competitions, whichever one it was given,  but the totting up only in the individual comps. Some logic in it I guess.

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

COYR’s

Mehmeti and Cornick cup tied too?

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm starting to believe that with a lot of luck and if we play to our absolute best, we may be able to pull something off. Man City don't seem to be the machine they usually are this season. 

Losing to Southampton in the other cup and drawing away against Forest the other day should give us some confidence that they are not as unbeatable as they usually are.

Not impossible but we'll need to play at our best and need a lot of luck. We'll only have about 20% possession depends what we can do with it.

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Had to look that up the other day. Red cards count in all competitions, whichever one it was given,  but the totting up only in the individual comps. Some logic in it I guess.

It's probably in part to stop them taking a yellow to miss an unimportant cup game and avoid missing a league game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I’ve only mentioned it once, twice….20 times since the draw was made! ???

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Poor aren't they? Only second in the Prem eh?

Maybe we could knock them out if we play our Under 18's!

• Confused 2

They are definitely more beatable than in previous seasons and not as good a team as when we played them last. Whilst we won't be facing a weak Man City side, it'll be weakened as the Premier League/CL are their priority for this season.

When the draw was made I quite fancied us for an upset but with the new boys unavailable (cup tied) and Naismith and Atkinson missing I think it'll be very tough. 

I'd like to think we could at least give them a scare. Adds an interesting dimension that the tie will be decided on the night. We've been good defensively of late so wouldn't rule out extra time. Here's hoping for a fantastic evening.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KnowleUtd City said:

Sorry Dave, you've probably answered this plenty of times, but when is 'Matchweek 32' ie the date when the 10 card threshold is passed?

“Matchweek” is the wrong lingo (and apologies if I’ve used that)…it’s actually “matches played (inclusive)”, so it is more to do with the club’s fixtures played, rather than anomalies caused by postponements for example where game week 37 might have some teams having only played 34, others 36, etc.

So assuming we get no postponed games, Alex / Joe have to survive getting a yellow in the next 5 games:

• Hull 33
  • Cardiff 34
  • Huddersfield 35
  • Blackpool 36
  • Luton 37

Those of you worrying about our FA Cup QF, needn’t, the game is sandwiched between:

• Swansea 38
  • Reading 39

???

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is it too early to talk tactics? I wonder if we go back to a makeshift back 3, which will mostly be a back 5?

I think we will start in the 4231 that we've seen. Initially look to counter attack I assume. Of recent games I think we'll set up and play more similarly to the Norwich game than others. I think Pearson has found a system that is getting results and I don't think he's the type to revert to a previous system for a single game.

Currently I expect a back 4 of Pring, Kalas, Vyner and Tanner. Williams, Scott and Weimann in midfield. Wells, Bell and Sykes up front. Bench will probably be quite light given injuries and cup-tied players.

18 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think we will start in the 4231 that we've seen. Initially look to counter attack I assume. Of recent games I think we'll set up and play more similarly to the Norwich game than others. I think Pearson has found a system that is getting results and I don't think he's the type to revert to a previous system for a single game.

Currently I expect a back 4 of Pring, Kalas, Vyner and Tanner. Williams, Scott and Weimann in midfield. Wells, Bell and Sykes up front. Bench will probably be quite light given injuries and cup-tied players.

No way he leaves James out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

“Matchweek” is the wrong lingo (and apologies if I’ve used that)…it’s actually “matches played (inclusive)”, so it is more to do with the club’s fixtures played, rather than anomalies caused by postponements for example where game week 37 might have some teams having only played 34, others 36, etc.

So assuming we get no postponed games, Alex / Joe have to survive getting a yellow in the next 5 games:

• Hull 33
  • Cardiff 34
  • Huddersfield 35
  • Blackpool 36
  • Luton 37

Those of you worrying about our FA Cup QF, needn’t, the game is sandwiched between:

• Swansea 38
  • Reading 39

???

Fingers crossed they avoid cards on Saturday.  Would very much like both of them available for the game against the Sheep Worriers.....

• Like 1

Just now, CiderJar said:

I thought that five years ago, but the reality was, it was great to see him play.

I'd say that he is one of the best players I've ever seen live and I've seen plenty of top players live. 

I just read that Pep has said that him and Laporte have got an illness so likely that they'll recover by the time we play them. 

• Like 1

I’ve already worried myself into expecting a bit of a drubbing but on the plus side at the start of the season after seeing Haaland playing for them on Sky I decided I’d try and get to see them play live this season.

I wasn’t expecting to do it say in my usual seat so that’s a bonus and I’m very much looking forward to it. 

• Like 2