IGNORED

Alex Scott - Treasure his outstanding talent

Curr Avon

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think, in all seriousness, with Alex now we’re into a very limited number of premier league clubs being in the equation. Outside of the “big” clubs the only one I’d entertain if I was his advisor would be Brighton because of how they have developed players. I also think, as he’s said before, he wants to play football - and IMO he’s ready.

Chelsea are a basket case so rule them out. Liverpool are in the market for midfielders and I could see that. Arsenal he’d fit the style but as a Spurs fan - would he go? Newcastle to me have too many similar players, and although I’d think he’d thrive under Pep, is he needed at Man City? Man Utd a possibility but they have Fernandes. Abroad wise Dortmund are the obvious but I genuinely think they’d be priced out.

My overall view is that I think Liverpool are the most likely candidate, but I’d rather he stayed!

Maybe but they will all be going for Bellingham.

47 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Doubt it. Elliott was having a much bigger impact in the Championship then Scott is….did it at a younger age too.

It’s an interesting one, because the big argument for me is that Scott has been doing it in the centre of midfield, whereas Elliott was as a wide forward.  Age argument I get though.

27 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He seems pretty unique to me especially in the English game but if you're asking I would compare his style to Barce midfielders of the 00's and 10's

Iniesta

Xavi

Busquets

Not to say he is that level but I think he should move abroad anyway

Not many have ever been at that level. If he ends up being half as good he'll have done very well.

• Like 1

Many of us, I guess, are beginning to see the real green shoots of team development at City. The use of Academy products and young but talented from lower leagues is showing signs that we haven't seen since the early 1970's with AD.

Success, meaning promotion, will not happen this season, we're too far behind and still with important squad places to fill. Could be Academy boys and/or Summer signings aged approx 21 to 27.

But next season, if we continue improving as quickly as it is happening now, could be a real success story.

So why sell Scott in the summer. Try to keep him for at least another year, as with his talent and a real team spirit, the impossible could become the possible. For Scott to become a Premier League regular here at City within 18 months will do his career no harm at all.

I'm not saying that it could happen but for a sceptical, pessimistic old sod after 70 years of dreaming, apart from 1976/1980, I can see the green shoots becoming an overgrown field in the not too distant future.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Totally agree with those who say he is the most outstanding player we've had at the club in all my time watching. With Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Josh Brownhill there was always a sense that they might ultimately get a chance in the Premier League but the difference with Scott is that it feels like, barring serious injury, it is inevitable he will become a Premier League player, might well become a key player at a major side.

Yep! Leaving aside loans, possibly the only other player you could say that about in my memory would be Andy Cole. 

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Many of us, I guess, are beginning to see the real green shoots of team development at City. The use of Academy products and young but talented from lower leagues is showing signs that we haven't seen since the early 1970's with AD.

Success, meaning promotion, will not happen this season, we're too far behind and still with important squad places to fill. Could be Academy boys and/or Summer signings aged approx 21 to 27.

But next season, if we continue improving as quickly as it is happening now, could be a real success story.

So why sell Scott in the summer. Try to keep him for at least another year, as with his talent and a real team spirit, the impossible could become the possible. For Scott to become a Premier League regular here at City within 18 months will do his career no harm at all.

I'm not saying that it could happen but for a sceptical, pessimistic old sod after 70 years of dreaming, apart from 1976/1980, I can see the green shoots becoming an overgrown field in the not too distant future.

I would love to think we could keep him another year.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

PS.

The game has changed a lot since Nineteen Fifties but I see a new John Atyeo.in Alex Scott.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would love to think we could keep him another year.

I would be happy to sell him next summer assuming we get a fair fee. If we got £25 mil (big if) reinvesting even 50% of that could really enable us to strengthen everywhere…..we are going to need 2 new cbs, a goalkeeper, at least 2cms and a striker. A class act of course but that money would be huge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Totally agree with those who say he is the most outstanding player we've had at the club in all my time watching. With Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Josh Brownhill there was always a sense that they might ultimately get a chance in the Premier League but the difference with Scott is that it feels like, barring serious injury, it is inevitable he will become a Premier League player, might well become a key player at a major side.

However, as much as we'll undoubtedly miss his talent when he goes, it feels like the club is finally at a point where there is enough of a structure and a platform to withstand losing major assets without substantially weakening the side. Whenever a key player left in the past it felt like there'd be a spending spree and a gamble and maybe one or two of the five players we bought might turn out to be half-decent. Nowadays it feels like, when Scott goes, we'll buy a couple of players who fit with a coherent recruitment strategy and quickly have another prospect coming through. It may be a while until we get another talent like Scott but it feels like they'll certainly be more young players who are good enough to earn their spot in the team. 

Indeed, and don’t forget we have a youngster with similar skills (hopefully) currently recovering from a serious injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vidal said:

Doubt it. Elliott was having a much bigger impact in the Championship then Scott is….did it at a younger age too.

5 hours ago, Vidal said:

It is very true. He was carrying a Blackburn side when he was 17. One is currently playing regularly for Bristol city the other for Liverpool. Huge difference.

If you are referring to Harvey Elliot, he only played a handful of Championship games, and they were all for Fulham.

10 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Is he better than Gerry Gow at the moment than no so answers your the second part as well 

Apart from the obvious statement about how the game has changed in 50 years, I would say they have had a similar effect in different ways. I am a few years younger than @slartibartfast or a few of the others, so their memories may be better than mine, but as I remember him, Gow was a midfield general even at 17 but although he started as the youngster in an aging side it was very quickly a young side.

Although he was more than the tough tackler from legend, I don't think of him as having the all round game that Scott has already, the fact that it's already difficult to find a weakness in his game is incredible. I would still like him to have more opportunities at dead ball situations, in the Premier League in particular, they are often the deciding factor in a game, take Ward-Prowse for example, but he really has everything else.

You have compared him to Harvey Elliott, who for some reason you seem to have seen a lot of, but I will be interested in what the Norwich fans have to say after next week, because I think Madison is the best comparison and they saw him at the same age. 

You are right that we are a little blinded by the fact that he is in our team, but having spent nearly 55 years drooling over the talent in other teams, it's great to see one we have developed ourselves.

I think you have a higher opinion of him than @Vidal, but then judging by his extensive shopping list, he doesn't appear to rate many of our current squad, or have faith in the Academy to produce further talent.

It's nice to have some balance though.. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's almost impossible to compare players who were/are playing for us fifty years apart.

Gow may have been a harder tackler and actually scored more goals.

Alex certainly has more pace.

To compare them to get which is the better one is unfair on both. Those of us who saw Gow's whole career at City over ten years will more easily remember him as he was toward the end of his City career. However we've only had under two seasons to judge and compare Scott.

A ten year spell with City will put him up at the top table with the Bristol City all time greats, Wedlock, Atyeo and Gow.

• Thanks 1