IGNORED

Where are all the doubters now??

Andy082005

7 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Performances have not changed. Results have. 

You are interested in results. 

That's fine, but don't make out we haven't deserved more from a lot of games this season. 

We performed like this in the draws against Millwall and Cov. Playing 352. 

We dominated Watford playing 352. 

We had a bad day against WBA. Yeah. We'll have bad days playing 433. That's football. It will forever be so. 

If you don’t think performances are better post 352 I don’t think we can have a serious conversation

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Happy to be “wrong” about NP but who knows what any manager could have done with 24 months and unlimited patience from the owner. 

How about a manager who has 5 years, an open cheque book and more than unlimited patience..

Eh…?

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe. I don’t really see it that way. Is Pring really that much better in January than he was in October? Atkinson had a great start to the season got dropped and come back at same level. Vyner has shown when he gets a good run in one position he can perform. Finally playing Wells has helped us massively too. 

I am not sitting here trying to be overly negative. Just that one month of results hasn’t swayed me that he is all of a sudden a genius. 

Slot players into positions they have played growing up and during their careers? I have always acknowledged the culture shift under NP. It has always been on a match day that I don’t rate him. I just don’t think there is a way to measure it and I don’t measure as high. Imo the tools have been here to be more consistent in performances. The culture change had been in place for months so why all of a sudden have performances changed? It is putting the right people in the right positions and them gaining confidence. Something that could have been done 15 games ago

JoeAman, I have always appreciated your comments as I come from an era when apart from what was in the newspapers, we could only discuss what we had seen live at matches. And without slow motion replays.

I suspect that you are like me in that I've gone during this season, from total appreciation to complete negativity and back again. I know not your age but I've seen eight promotions and seven relegations since 1950;and for a couple of months late last year, I seriously considered that we were destined for another drop.

Yet now, after some clearly superb work by Gould, Pearson and Tinnion and the coaches, in the last few months, the win today over a half tidy Norwich team, has given us all, hope for a good future. I go from optimist to pessimist and suspect you may be similar.

It's our club for life. One day we might click as other Third and lower Second Division sides like Bournemouth and Brighton have keep the faith.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

That's fine, but don't make out we haven't deserved more from a lot of games this season. 

We had a bad day against WBA. Yeah. We'll have bad days playing 433. That's football. It will forever be so. 

Battered Sheff United but somehow lost.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I don’t get the partisan nature of posts like this and the lack of respect for a well crafted opinion. Simply pointing to ‘performances’ is just as easy as pointing to results. Many teams have had poor seasons and have been relegated with a whole bunch of good performances. It’s always more nuanced than that. There were long-stay problems that were persisting and had been there from the day he walked in, an inability to hold onto leads, consistently poor substitutions, strange positional choices, one dimensional football and a lack of tactical impact during games. All culminating in a downward trend which saw fractured relationships between manager and fans.

It’s not just the formation that has changed, going on what is available to us it seems NP’s approach has too. Far more positive, a forward looking persona focused on installing confidence in players, and (less importantly) much more sincere and thankful when speaking about the fans. He is sure of himself, certainly, but he has clearly taken criticism on board too and that is an incredibly commendable trait from such an experienced individual. Pearson is extremely aware of what is said despite the fact he may present otherwise. 

We seem to have turned a corner which is fantastic, but why is there such intolerance to the fact that there were differing opinions to yours during a period that saw us drop closer to the relegation zone than we’d been in Pearson’s entire tenure?

There are always differing opinions on managers, that’s football and it will forever be so. I’m just glad it’s coming together.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

JoeAman, I have always appreciated your comments as I come from an era when apart from what was in the newspapers, we could only discuss what we had seen live at matches. And without slow motion replays.

I suspect that you are like me in that I've gone during this season, from total appreciation to complete negativity and back again. I know not your age but I've seen eight promotions and seven relegations since 1950;and for a couple of months late last year, I seriously considered that we were destined for another drop.

Yet now, after some clearly superb work by Gould, Pearson and Tinnion and the coaches, in the last few months, the win today over a half tidy Norwich team, has given us all, hope for a good future. I go from optimist to pessimist and suspect you may be similar.

It's our club for life. One day we might click as other Third and lower Second Division sides like Bournemouth and Brighton have keep the faith.

Oh don’t get me wrong I am delighted we won and have seemed to turn a corner. I just have an opinion on NP and this run of form hasn’t convinced me this will be the norm going forward. Whether or not I am right or wrong doesn’t matter to me.  Said earlier it has been a lot of fun going to AG the last few weeks and long may it continue. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I don’t get the partisan nature of posts like this and the lack of respect for a well crafted opinion. Simply pointing to ‘performances’ is just as easy as pointing to results. Many teams have had poor seasons and have been relegated with a whole bunch of good performances. It’s always more nuanced than that. There were long-stay problems that were persisting and had been there from the day he walked in, an inability to hold onto leads, consistently poor substitutions, strange positional choices, one dimensional football and a lack of tactical impact during games. All culminating in a downward trend which saw fractured relationships between manager and fans.

It’s not just the formation that has changed, going on what is available to us it seems NP’s approach has too. Far more positive, a forward looking persona focused on installing confidence in players, and (less importantly) much more sincere and thankful when speaking about the fans. He is sure of himself, certainly, but he has clearly taken criticism on board too and that is an incredibly commendable trait from such an experienced individual. Pearson is extremely aware of what is said despite the fact he may present otherwise. 

We seem to have turned a corner which is fantastic, but why is there such intolerance to the fact that there were differing opinions to yours during a period that saw us drop closer to the relegation zone than we’d been in Pearson’s entire tenure?

There are always differing opinions on managers, that’s football and it will forever be so. I’m just glad it’s coming together.

I think it's no longer a case of them and us but as you say a whole coming together. The fans the team the staff are all playing their part. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

42 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Proof, that you evidently don't watch all our games. Performances these last 4 weeks have been miles better than the dross served up in those games. An upturn in performance and results (sorry if you don't feel the latter is important, or significant) that coincided with a switch in formation from the second half of the Swansea home cup game onwards. 

• Like 5

The bottom line is that football fans are a fickle bunch. Their dedication wavers depending on results and exactly why we saw so many criticising Nige when he was struggling to sort out the shambles left by LJ and Ashton.

Some of us appreciated that and also that he has a three year project in which time he’d be able to build a team capable of becoming a serious threat in the Championship with a mix of youth and experienced players.

Now in just 18 months he has changed the entire culture which was essential to enable the playing squad to feel ‘at home’ within the new healthy club culture.

I’ve said it before but Nige really is a proper manager. Head an shoulders above all the previous managers in the last 30 years.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe. I don’t really see it that way. Is Pring really that much better in January than he was in October? Atkinson had a great start to the season got dropped and come back at same level. Vyner has shown when he gets a good run in one position he can perform. Finally playing Wells has helped us massively too. 

I am not sitting here trying to be overly negative. Just that one month of results hasn’t swayed me that he is all of a sudden a genius. 

Slot players into positions they have played growing up and during their careers? I have always acknowledged the culture shift under NP. It has always been on a match day that I don’t rate him. I just don’t think there is a way to measure it and I don’t measure as high. Imo the tools have been here to be more consistent in performances. The culture change had been in place for months so why all of a sudden have performances changed? It is putting the right people in the right positions and them gaining confidence. Something that could have been done 15 games ago

I agree with a lot of what you say but I always think of what my dad used to tell me. He said having all the tools doesn't make you a tradesman & I think there's been a lot of learning on both sides (players & management) to get to where players with the "tools" now have the mentality to maintain the level NP requires. He now can play/trust them in positions to best utilise those skills, at the end of the day we/the club are the winners.

Credit must be given to all involved & I think a huge plus has been the hpc where the academy players can train with the team.

COYR's

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Absolutely spot on. Can only think of a few 'bad' performances this season. Reading A, Birmingham A, WBA H. Said it even in December, the side haven't been far away all season!

• Like 3

If you don’t think performances are better post 352 I don’t think we can have a serious conversation

For example - Performance last week at Preston was not better than several games this season where we’ve failed to get 3 points.

Even today was pretty scrappy for large chunks.  We had a good spell of control in the first half after we scored for 10-15 mins.  Norwich then opened the second half and put us under a lot of pressure.  We then had a spell where we knocked on the door once the subs got themselves into it.  There was a helluva lot of ball being turned over by both sides because spaces were condensed or passing lanes blocked by good structures, therefore teams trying to force it.

Too much emphasis on the result framing the argument of how well we played.

All the talk of fans saying they want the old cliched “free flowing, front foot football and a high press”, “I just want to see attacking football and be entertained”…it’s bollox in the main…the reality is they just want to win and they really like a gritty win.  Which is what today was.  I really enjoyed the game.  Not because we played great football (we did play some at times) but more because we worked our nuts off collectively, and we made it hard for Norwich, who are a decent side.

Today felt like for me the culmination of a lot of hard work in the development of the team…nor is that development over.  There may be several of the same players as earlier this season or last, but they are gradually performing better and better in technical, mental and physical areas.  

I really do disagree with the saying - insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  In football surely you have to repeat things to get better?  Those stupid little drills with no defenders where someone crosses for our forwards to side foot past the exposed keeper from 8 yards look to benefit nobody, they’re so unlike a real game…yet count the number of goals we’ve scored since the World Cup from those types of cross?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Oh, no. Here we go again. Can’t we give it a rest? Ancient history now.

It’s not ancient history though is it! We still have players on those eye watering wages and we have to sell players to mitigate that!

it’s current history. 

Edited by REDOXO

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For example - Performance last week at Preston was not better than several games this season where we’ve failed to get 3 points.

Even today was pretty scrappy for large chunks.  We had a good spell of control in the first half after we scored for 10-15 mins.  Norwich then opened the second half and put us under a lot of pressure.  We then had a spell where we knocked on the door once the subs got themselves into it.  There was a helluva lot of ball being turned over by both sides because spaces were condensed or passing lanes blocked by good structures, therefore teams trying to force it.

Too much emphasis on the result framing the argument of how well we played.

All the talk of fans saying they want the old cliched “free flowing, front foot football and a high press”, “I just want to see attacking football and be entertained”…it’s bollox in the main…the reality is they just want to win and they really like a gritty win.  Which is what today was.  I really enjoyed the game.  Not because we played great football (we did play some at times) but more because we worked our nuts off collectively, and we made it hard for Norwich, who are a decent side.

Today felt like for me the culmination of a lot of hard work in the development of the team…nor is that development over.  There may be several of the same players as earlier this season or last, but they are gradually performing better and better in technical, mental and physical areas.  

I really do disagree with the saying - insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  In football surely you have to repeat things to get better?  Those stupid little drills with no defenders where someone crosses for our forwards to side foot past the exposed keeper from 8 yards look to benefit nobody, they’re so unlike a real game…yet count the number of goals we’ve scored since the World Cup from those types of cross?

As someone else said, you can look at the stats and perhaps make the case performances are the same. As someone who is at damn near every game, you can feel the change. The fullbacks higher up the pitch than the wingbacks ever were. The front 3 all pressing in unison. The intensity is much higher and generally everyone looks very comfortable in their roles. Every has a job, knows their job and executes it. 

You can feel the difference in the atmosphere. It isn’t a results thing. It started with Swansea in the cup. No we may not have possession or loads of shots. The intent and endeavour is now there and it wasn’t early in the season. There are no stats that can quantify it but I guarantee you ask 1000 city fans if it has been more enjoyable since Swansea in the cup, 1000 would say yes.

It isn’t results that get me going. It is intensity and intent. Today was scrappy at times but Norwich looked up for it. We made it scrappy by being aggressive. We didn’t let them get comfortable which has been a theme. Thats the difference I am on about and that came with a switch to 433. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bpexile said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I always think of what my dad used to tell me. He said having all the tools doesn't make you a tradesman & I think there's been a lot of learning on both sides (players & management) to get to where players with the "tools" now have the mentality to maintain the level NP requires. He now can play/trust them in positions to best utilise those skills, at the end of the day we/the club are the winners.

Credit must be given to all involved & I think a huge plus has been the hpc where the academy players can train with the team.

COYR's

My posts can seem very NP critical and I am. However it doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve some credit. If you tell me we have a fitter squad I’d agree. Credit to NP. Tell me we have more squad harmony and healthy competition for places I’d agree. Credit to NP.

Imo he was getting it very wrong with his persistence in the 352 and some of his personnel decisions. On the pitch is where he should be judged harsher. A few wins and losses either way in this league can really change how you look at yourself but we were in danger of slipping down. The way we were playing there should have been hard questions being asked and there were for a bit. 

Again, maybe I am ultimately wrong about NP. Hell I hope so. As you said we/the club are winners. I am enjoying the run and hope it continues. I’d rather enjoy the football and say I was wrong than saying I was right and being in L1. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My posts can seem very NP critical and I am. However it doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve some credit. If you tell me we have a fitter squad I’d agree. Credit to NP. Tell me we have more squad harmony and healthy competition for places I’d agree. Credit to NP.

Imo he was getting it very wrong with his persistence in the 352 and some of his personnel decisions. On the pitch is where he should be judged harsher. A few wins and losses either way in this league can really change how you look at yourself but we were in danger of slipping down. The way we were playing there should have been hard questions being asked and there were for a bit. 

Again, maybe I am ultimately wrong about NP. Hell I hope so. As you said we/the club are winners. I am enjoying the run and hope it continues. I’d rather enjoy the football and say I was wrong than saying I was right and being in L1. 

Pathetic ..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with being a doubter. I get people can understand the bigger picture and the long term scale of things, and with that, maybe they are more accepting. But if a manager and any manger for that matter, didn't have any doubts when they had one of the poorest strike rates of managers in recent times, then the question should be, when is there time to doubt?

Am I pleased it has been turned around, absolutely. It is very much his team now, and whilst he may not have been able to bring in some luxury additions he would like, the additions are his additions. 

I don't care what anyone says, but in life performances don't breed confidence, results do, and the difference is, that on Boxing Day, we were being treated to the odd performance but there was no result, we had players out of position, and we seemed incapable of putting two results together. One might say, that some fans getting on Nige's back, and as a result probably people at the club as well, he had to try something new, and realised now was the time to put up, or be put out.

January and early February, has been a breath of fresh air, we have gone from unable to win despite playing well, to being able to win, or draw even if we don't. Confidence breeds confidence and confidence often leads to results. As present we are getting the results even when we are not impressive, and a lot of that will come down to confidence. 

The team is finally progressing in the right way on the pitch under Pearson, and that is all that those who were voicing concern wanted to see. Whether it's a change of playing staff, change of formation, playing players in the right position, or a combination of all those factors, the facts are, if anything we are starting to do a little too well. and this is when sometimes expectation becomes unrealistic.

What the current run does do, is takes us well away from the relegation zone. An area we needed to avoid this season, and all most fans wanted. Survival was key, nothing else this season mattered. On Boxing Day a number of fans, myself included were worried we were a little too close for comfort to the relegation zone. 

The issue I now have, is we are 7pts off the playoff zone, with a game in hand on 6th, and 6pts off 7th on level games. With Preston, Norwich and Blackburn all appearing to falter at present, it is not impossible that if we continue this forward momentum, that in 4/5 games time, we could be sat in the top 10. This would far surpass anything expected of the team this season by any fan, but it could set it up for a very tense final ten games, in which there is definitely a 6th spot up for grabs. The top 5, remain consistent and performing very well, and we don't have to face any of them in our next 6 fixtures and this could be a blessing. Realistically in our next 6 fixtures, we only have Sunderland who pose a serious danger to us, and it is likely we can get a result (win or draw) from the other five.

The playoffs with our final 6 games containing Burnley, Sheffield United, Watford and Middlesbrough may be a step too far, but I would not be surprised if approaching those last 6 games that we weren't within hailing distance of the top six.

The season has taken a surprising, but delightful twist, and its nice to be looking up, rather than down. If we finish where we are now, I would personally be happy, but we must not get carried away with ourselves and think that the closer to the top six we get, that expectation rises. It would be bad come 7th or 8th and fans feeling disappointed to just miss out. 

I am pleased Nige has turned it around. On paper he was always a very good appointment for us, I among many others at Xmas questioned if he was getting the best from the squad and whether he might take us down, but I am pleased it has been turned around.

What this last month has shown us though, is that next season with the purse strings loosened a little, and possibly the incoming funds should Scott be sold, that it would not be wrong to expect us to be competitive next season. 

It could also be said that bar 3/4 teams, this years Championship has been wide open, and actually grabbing the most unlikeliest of 6th places, and maybe landing the most unlikeliest of promotions given where we were at Xmas, might be our best opportunity in some time, and could also lead to us keeping hold of some of the stars ideally we don't want to lose just yet.

Personally, I think as fans we can enjoy the rest of the season, taking each game at a time. It's pleasing to see the change, and credit to Nige and his staff in turning it around. 

As said, if we end up 13th, then Nige has surpassed my hopes and expectations for this season. I personally feel it is a little too early to dare to dream, but in 6 games time, that 6th spot might not actually look that unrealistic, but our final 6 games is as tough a run in as we could have asked for, and that should not be ignored.

Well done Nige and the team for turning it around. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I’m surprised that some are saying the performances haven’t improved since the home FA cup game against Swansea.   The results have dramatically improved but quite clearly the performances have improved as well. Maybe not as dramatically as the results but there is a pretty clear improvement.  @Percy Pig @Davefevs you must surely see that defensively we are a fair bit stronger.  Fewer individual errors, better structure. Offensively we look more dangerous with width higher up the field.  More solid in midfield as well.  The better defensive platform in the last 5-6 games is a big step forward. I just can’t see how the performances have not improved at all. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with being a doubter. I get people can understand the bigger picture and the long term scale of things, and with that, maybe they are more accepting. But if a manager and any manger for that matter, didn't have any doubts when they had one of the poorest strike rates of managers in recent times, then the question should be, when is there time to doubt?

Am I pleased it has been turned around, absolutely. It is very much his team now, and whilst he may not have been able to bring in some luxury additions he would like, the additions are his additions. 

I don't care what anyone says, but in life performances don't breed confidence, results do, and the difference is, that on Boxing Day, we were being treated to the odd performance but there was no result, we had players out of position, and we seemed incapable of putting two results together. One might say, that some fans getting on Nige's back, and as a result probably people at the club as well, he had to try something new, and realised now was the time to put up, or be put out.

January and early February, has been a breath of fresh air, we have gone from unable to win despite playing well, to being able to win, or draw even if we don't. Confidence breeds confidence and confidence often leads to results. As present we are getting the results even when we are not impressive, and a lot of that will come down to confidence. 

The team is finally progressing in the right way on the pitch under Pearson, and that is all that those who were voicing concern wanted to see. Whether it's a change of playing staff, change of formation, playing players in the right position, or a combination of all those factors, the facts are, if anything we are starting to do a little too well. and this is when sometimes expectation becomes unrealistic.

What the current run does do, is takes us well away from the relegation zone. An area we needed to avoid this season, and all most fans wanted. Survival was key, nothing else this season mattered. On Boxing Day a number of fans, myself included were worried we were a little too close for comfort to the relegation zone. 

The issue I now have, is we are 7pts off the playoff zone, with a game in hand on 6th, and 6pts off 7th on level games. With Preston, Norwich and Blackburn all appearing to falter at present, it is not impossible that if we continue this forward momentum, that in 4/5 games time, we could be sat in the top 10. This would far surpass anything expected of the team this season by any fan, but it could set it up for a very tense final ten games, in which there is definitely a 6th spot up for grabs. The top 5, remain consistent and performing very well, and we don't have to face any of them in our next 6 fixtures and this could be a blessing. Realistically in our next 6 fixtures, we only have Sunderland who pose a serious danger to us, and it is likely we can get a result (win or draw) from the other five.

The playoffs with our final 6 games containing Burnley, Sheffield United, Watford and Middlesbrough may be a step too far, but I would not be surprised if approaching those last 6 games that we weren't within hailing distance of the top six.

The season has taken a surprising, but delightful twist, and its nice to be looking up, rather than down. If we finish where we are now, I would personally be happy, but we must not get carried away with ourselves and think that the closer to the top six we get, that expectation rises. It would be bad come 7th or 8th and fans feeling disappointed to just miss out. 

I am pleased Nige has turned it around. On paper he was always a very good appointment for us, I among many others at Xmas questioned if he was getting the best from the squad and whether he might take us down, but I am pleased it has been turned around.

What this last month has shown us though, is that next season with the purse strings loosened a little, and possibly the incoming funds should Scott be sold, that it would not be wrong to expect us to be competitive next season. 

It could also be said that bar 3/4 teams, this years Championship has been wide open, and actually grabbing the most unlikeliest of 6th places, and maybe landing the most unlikeliest of promotions given where we were at Xmas, might be our best opportunity in some time, and could also lead to us keeping hold of some of the stars ideally we don't want to lose just yet.

Personally, I think as fans we can enjoy the rest of the season, taking each game at a time. It's pleasing to see the change, and credit to Nige and his staff in turning it around. 

As said, if we end up 13th, then Nige has surpassed my hopes and expectations for this season. I personally feel it is a little too early to dare to dream, but in 6 games time, that 6th spot might not actually look that unrealistic, but our final 6 games is as tough a run in as we could have asked for, and that should not be ignored.

Well done Nige and the team for turning it around. 

Thank you for writing my opinions and thoughts. I often think that I am too pessimistic about everything in life. Maybe it's a realistic mindset.

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Sorry Joe but if you can't see where the difference is in Atkinson, then you need to go and review his past work.

I have been a big fan of his from day one, but even he would probably admit that the "Old Rob" would have struggled to cope with Ched Evans last week or Pukki and Sargent this week. The sheer determination not to be beaten just wasn't quite there before. 

That coupled with Zak being in the form of his life and Matty James in front of them proving why he was such an important signing, has allowed him to change to a formation he prefers. He said he couldn't "trust Rob" and I am sure that hurt, but I would bet good money that they both will admit it had the desired effect. It's been a long time since I was so confident that we would not concede in those last few minutes.

Regarding the time he has had, I think you and @Bar BS3 both mentioned this, I think he had a remit that was as much to do with off the pitch as on it. As a club we needed an evolution not a revolution, the board and some of us with a little inside knowledge could see it happening, others perhaps rightly, were only concerned with what's was happening on the pitch. There was a poster from Leicester City on here 18 months ago saying "stick with him, he will make your club better", and I think he is right. We aren't completely there yet, but I think we 75-85% of what a Pearson team should be.

• Like 13