IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

On 28/03/2023 at 11:49, Kings Norton Red said:

The ECB have well and truly screwed over Somerset in recent years with players being taken away from important matches to sit around and carry drinks, plus of course the bloody 100 which means next to no cricket at Taunton in the school holidays.

You been taking lessons from Joey ?

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Disappointing start to the weekend and season.

Is it going to be one of those awful frustrating damp summer’s.

As this is the season where points for a draw has fallen from 8 to 5 it wouldn’t surprise me. 

The other thing that's changed is that the number of runs needed to get batting bonuses has increased by 50 for each point. So you now need 250 for 1 point, 300 for 2 etc, up to a maximum of 450 and 5. Still within the first 110 overs of the first innings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Careful, didn't you know this is the Somerset forum ?

On another note, has this season started earlier than usual, I thought it used to start later in April ?

You'd be forgiven for thinking so on both counts, wouldn't you? :) No, our first game last season was against Northamptonshire on the 7th April. Although it's not ideal from a weather point of view, having a fixture over Easter weekend does make some sense.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Careful, didn't you know this is the Somerset forum ?

On another note, has this season started earlier than usual, I thought it used to start later in April ?

Because more seem to follow Somerset on here isn't it?

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

The other thing that's changed is that the number of runs needed to get batting bonuses has increased by 50 for each point. So you now need 250 for 1 point, 300 for 2 etc, up to a maximum of 450 and 5. Still within the first 110 overs of the first innings.

Yes, it's going to be Bazball across the country 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Something else has clearly gone wrong though as other grounds in the south aren't struggling, any chance of Somerset playing a couple of games at 'out grounds'? Although I'm not sure where they would use.

Yesterday`s rain was pretty much only in the West Country though. I was in Dorset for most of the morning and it was lovely and fine. I got to Taunton about 1ish and it was chucking it down.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Not doing too badly atm .

165 all out. :( One of them will probably score that on their own in the 2nd innings, our first innings totals were atrocious for most of last season, our batting points were terrible and probably the biggest contributor to our relegation.

Edited by Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

165 all out. :( One of them will probably score that on their own in the 2nd innings, our first innings totals were atrocious for most of last season, our batting points were terrible and probably the biggest contributor to our relegation.

With the increase to 250 for first batting point, I'd be surprised if we get more than two this season !

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Worrying scenes at Taunton where it looks like the outfield is very problematic. 

If it turns out to be a wettish summer our chances of many home wins will be slim. 

Talk on the Grockles forum suggests that the area in front of the Trescothick stand resembles a beach.

Re. a wettish summer, Hollins’ talk of torrential rain is disputed by people who live next to the ground.

Despite bright sunshine, there is apparently a pitch inspection scheduled for 10H30.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

Clearly it was an abysmal month for weather in March, and while Hollins may be exaggerating the severity of rain on Wednesday, it did rain all day. The outfield being extremely heavy and even in the pool in front of the Atkinson are somewhat understandable.

The beach at the Tres End though is clearly down to more than just the March rain. They should be honest as to what’s happened there during winter and why they seem to have left it so late in the day to try and find any sort of solution.

While the decision for another inspection at 10:30 seems to have been met with large consternation, I’m actually quite pleased as I imagined the entire game would be getting binned this morning.

..Hope that talking about Somerset County Cricket Club on a thread about county cricket is allowed by the way.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Talk on the Grockles forum suggests that the area in front of the Trescothick stand resembles a beach.

Re. a wettish summer, Hollins’ talk of torrential rain is disputed by people who live next to the ground.

Despite bright sunshine, there is apparently a pitch inspection scheduled for 10H30.

A lot of unhappy fans. That part of the outfield has been sand since January, the grass hasn't grown at all. 

It was a very sunny Taunton i passed through on my way to Stoke, so fingers crossed for play later. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Just checked the score, wasn't expecting much but ....

Glos resume on 133/0 with Dent 60* and Harris 73*

That is very un Glos like , might even make them bat again. 

Second innings revival, pretty standard to be honest. I said one of our batters would probably make 160 on their own, not far off being right at the moment. We need to work out how to play like this in the innings where the bonus points are if we want a good season.

• Like 1