IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

Looking at the O’Neills website some of the GAA kits look decent. As @Northern Redsays there’s no point in having the best looking kit in the league if you can’t shift it to supporters. That’s mental. Typical Bristolian trait to condemn before you’ve even seen, like almost every player we buy!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

There were a few reports last year that Hummel were in financial trouble - maybe finally gone bust

Edit - Actually may not be Hummel but their UK distributor Elite Sports 

https://www.nssmag.com/en/sports/31522/hummel-elite-sports-group

Could it be that the club is struggling to get hold of kit themselves?

I'm making a big assumption that teams don't just have one kit for the season that they wash every week... I'd assume they get new kit at least every few weeks if not every game in some clubs

42 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It would be deeply upsetting to move away from Hummel, the kits have been very imaginative (if not always my cup of tea). This year's away and third kits are excellent.

If we do move, it HAS to be to someone who will provide 'bespoke' kits - no more bl00dy templates, like the Star Trek abhorrence from Adidas.

The problem is, larger companies won't do bespoke kits for us because it isn't worth the money to them - or it'll cost us a premium.

The more bespoke you want to be, the lower down the quality chain you'll need to go.

Hummel was a good balance of quality and design IMO. I bought several of the shirts as I like to collect them, and they were good quality material. This years home has been one of my favourite ever for City, I think because of the uniqueness (to us) of the white arms, cant see that returning next year

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What's the point of having a nice kit if you can't sell it because you can't get hold of any stock?

Exactly. You can imagine with the Man City game, Rewards Launch, etc, having kit to sell is another way of boosting revenue.

Whether club are pissed off with Hummel or the Supplier, the supply change is letting us down.

As for the OP, he has had a couple of ITK shouts, so sounds very plausible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Hope this is very much a stop-gap. Big TFG vibes. Would like to think we may look at Umbro given the Bristol Bears deal.

Very good point.   Would be happy with that.   Does JL get involved in Bears kits though? Seems City kits are his ‘baby’ judging by posts on here and previously (crayon gate etc.) 

Edited by lenred

I'm not sure Alexander will be key to this. 

The kits are designed in September/October, and I know that 23/24's kit designs were signed off in October 2022. Supplier is involved in the design. Based on that I'd say this switch has been in the offing long before Alexander took over.

Ps. I've heard there's a dash of some azure on the away kit.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…and Big Phil used his connections from Wycombe maybe???

Immediately thought this.

I know they’re predominantly an Irish sport supplier but Wycombe at least shows that they have a foothold in the market.

Let’s be honest, I’m not their demographic, but those who want to buy replica kit need to be able to do so throughout the season & simply haven’t been able to.

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This is typical OTIB. Some people are writing off the new kit as awful before it’s been confirmed and anyone has seen it, if it even exists. 

The Matt Smith of kit design / suppliers ???

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Immediately thought this.

I know they’re predominantly an Irish sport supplier but Wycombe at least shows that they have a foothold in the market.

Let’s be honest, I’m not their demographic, but those who want to buy replica kit need to be able to do so throughout the season & simply haven’t been able to.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That's what I immediately thought of too.

Would make sense. 

With the Man City game coming up then you can see how the club would be looking to take advantage of that.

Appears not according to @ExiledAjax.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This is typical OTIB. Some people are writing off the new kit as awful before it’s been confirmed and anyone has seen it, if it even exists. 

Yes, this isn't some noddy TFG company they have been going for over a century, the fact they have a decent website with a huge selection with it being in stock is a rarity for us!

They are already announcing new clubs they will supply for next season: 

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/february/dale-announce-oneills-as-new-kit-supplier/ 

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc-club-announce-oneills-as-new-kit-partner-with-promise-of-bespoke-strips-3951483

3 minutes ago, !james said:

Yes, this isn't some noddy TFG company they have been going for over a century, the fact they have a decent website with a huge selection with it being in stock is a rarity for us!

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/february/dale-announce-oneills-as-new-kit-supplier/ 

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc-club-announce-oneills-as-new-kit-partner-with-promise-of-bespoke-strips-3951483

Rochdale and Falkirk;: not exactly Nike or Adidas then is it? Having said that, we really must get rid of the white sleeves, whatever brand it is.

2 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Rochdale and Falkirk;: not exactly Nike or Adidas then is it? Having said that, we really must get rid of the white sleeves, whatever brand it is.

But when we get an Adidas or Puma we get the generic template kits because we are not a top tier side? We end up playing in the same kit design as multiple clubs which is worse in my opinion which you can then buy unbranded on their website for a fraction of the cost! 

At least when we had Bristol Sport/Hummel we can have input into the design and reading the above links and seeing the kits they have designed for other clubs it appears O'Neills will to

Edited by !james
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

50 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree with this, but I think because the Hummel kits are just so good in terms of design and quality, we would have been willing to forgive the supply issues this season on the assumption that new kits would be supplied in August.

Moving to an unknown brand of questionable quality, after such a good partnership with a good brand - supply issues aside - feels like a backward step.

If they're unknown (to you presumably), how do you know the quality is questionable??

The company is over a century old so they must be doing something right.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, !james said:

If I am right we were one of the first Championship clubs to use Hummel as kit supplier. It is likely they are in financial difficulty and it wouldn't be surprising if other Championship clubs who were also using Hummel as their suppliers went to alternative options next season either.

Anything can be better than the old 'DAS' kits we used to have and the ones made by Adidas.

2 minutes ago, !james said:

But when we get an Adidas or Puma we get the generic template kits because we are not a top tier side? We end up playing in the same kit design as multiple clubs which is worse in my opinion which you can then buy unbranded on their website for a fraction of the cost! 

At least when we had Bristol Sport/Hummel we can have input into the design and reading the above links and seeing the kits they have designed for other clubs it appears O'Neills will to

Absolutely so.

We got generic cast offs from those companies & good as it was to have a “name” supplier it was often pretty uninspiring stuff.

This looks a half way house decision & hopefully they will see us as their biggest football client, so will be accommodating & respond swiftly to demand.

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

If I am right we were one of the first Championship clubs to use Hummel as kit supplier. It is likely they are in financial difficulty and it wouldn't be surprising if other Championship clubs who were also using Hummel as their suppliers went to alternative options next season either.

Anything can be better than the old 'DAS' kits we used to have and the ones made by Adidas.

Funny isn’t it.   I loved the Adidas kits.  Not so much the Puma ones but thought Adidas were great. Quality wise as well - their pieces stand the test of time - still have a couple of bits that I’ll wear working out now (I use that term loosely ?

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Funny isn’t it.   I loved the Adidas kits.  Not so much the Puma ones but thought Adidas were great. Quality as well - their pieces stand the test of time 

All a matter of opinion, but it was the whole identikit era of every club's Adidas kit looking similar, same with Puma. Also coincided with how crap we were to watch when we played in the Adidas era.

13 minutes ago, glynriley said:

If they're unknown (to you presumably), how do you know the quality is questionable??

The company is over a century old so they must be doing something right.

You’re right, but I meant questionable in the most literal sense - I’m questioning it because I don’t know. Whereas with Hummel I already know it’s good stuff.

Fair point though, I am guilty of rushing to judgement, I just think it’s a shame because I really like Hummel - it’s a cult brand. Moving to a relatively unknown company - at least in terms of UK football - does feel like a step backwards.

32 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm not sure Alexander will be key to this. 

The kits are designed in September/October, and I know that 23/24's kit designs were signed off in October 2022. Supplier is involved in the design. Based on that I'd say this switch has been in the offing long before Alexander took over.

Ps. I've heard there's a dash of some azure on the away kit.

But was that an O'Neils kit that was signed off in October or a Hummel kit?

As with any other product from yachts, cars, buildings, those with all the money buy the most expensive items they can.  So let's imagine someone on £30K per annum buys a top of the range Lamborghini and it breaks down on the same day as do fifty others owned by millionaires.

Who gets the best response? Those in mansions, palaces etc., Or the guy in Withywood? No offence to Withywood residents.

Bristol City and Bristol Bears are medium sized clubs so will never get A1 service from companies that are supplying country's international sides, the elite clubs like PSG, Real, Manure and so on.

So surely it is better for us to use a middle of the road sportswear manufacturer who will regard us as one of their important customers with service and quality as good as we can get.

As an aside, I haven't bought a City replica shirt since 1999. But at start of this season, I decided I would. I am a 38/40 chest for all clothing and have been for all of my life. The red and white sleeved medium shirt that I tried to put on was so small that I couldn't even get my 6 and 7/8ths head in. The only size I could get on was XXXL. I didn't buy one!

6 and 7/8 ths head is smaller than Small size!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 4