IGNORED

Swearing again

Redandproud

20 hours ago, spudski said:

Banner image

ℹ️ STATEMENT - FOOTBALL BANNING ORDER

TUESDAY, APRIL 4TH 2023

A man has been banned from attending football matches for three years after magistrates were told he tried to headbutt a Police Officer following Bristol City's Emirates FA Cup tie against Manchester City.

Patrick Elkins, of Silverhill Road in Henbury, appeared in court in Bristol on Thursday, March 30th and pleaded guilty to a public order offence of threatening or abusive behaviour and one count of common assaulting against an emergency worker.

The 33-year-old was abusive towards Manchester City fans after Bristol City's Emirates FA Cup defeat to the Premier League side on Tuesday, February 28th outside Ashton Gate.

Elkins, when approached by officers, then made threats towards them before attempting to headbutt a Police Officer.

He received a three-year banning order for his offences, which prevents him from attending any match in the UK for the duration of the order or going to certain areas near football stadiums on match days.

Elkins was ordered to carry out 200 hours' unpaid work and must also pay £200 compensation, £114 victim surcharge and £85 costs. 

Dedicated football officer PC Thomas Williams said: "We welcome the court's decision to issue a football banning order following this incident. We are committed to working with all our football clubs and sports teams to ensure supporters can enjoy games without fearing for their safety.

"It is important to recognise however this FA Cup tie was played out in front of a full house with more than 25,000 fans in attendance. The irresponsible actions of one man should not overshadow the good behaviour of the overwhelming majority of supporters who contributed to a terrific atmosphere both inside and outside the ground.”

Bristol City Football Club condemns violence in any form as we strive to make matchdays a safe and enjoyable experience for all at Ashton Gate.

The Club have fully supported Avon & Somerset Police throughout the process and their decision to issue a football banning order.

The lawyer in me takes issue with the last para, the court - not police - issues a football banning order.

Getting back on track, how is the story on Bristol Live wrong then @Red-Al?

I get that he's your son, and the natural thing to do is to defend him, but when the police and the courts say he's done wrong, I think he's probably done wrong.

Everyone can have a bit of a rant/swear, but it's not like it's a one off is it?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Can we get back on the subject of swearing. 

At the last home game, I heard a chap loudly call Dasilva a "flippin' plonker", which I thought was delightfully old school.

Can't remember who it was against, but years ago I remember a rather well-to-do middle aged lady sat near us abusing the referee by declaring that "you're not your father's son"

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Can't remember who it was against, but years ago I remember a rather well-to-do middle aged lady sat near us abusing the referee by declaring that "you're not your father's son"

was she his mother ?

• Haha 7

On 05/04/2023 at 11:16, Red Homer said:

What was the actual reason for his arrest? Swearing in front of children or being abusive to Man City fans, threatening police officers and trying to headbutt them?

Interesting that although you claim that Bristol Live have overreacted,your son still pleaded guilty to a public order offence and common assault against an emergency worker.

Ok let's get our facts right here, he pleaded not  guilty to assault on a police officer which was proved with video cam, did not headbutt her,  pleaded not guilty for being drunk and disorderly, passed a breath test, went to court but his solicitor who he only met 1hr before the court case, advised him to plead guilty on all offences , otherwise it would go to crown court,he's appealing the charges,that's what I mean that the BL went overboard with the charges on consent of the police, so all you lot should be standing up for him instead of slagging him off, that's the true story, but BL only published the story given to them by the police,

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Ok let's get our facts right here, he pleaded not  guilty to assault on a police officer which was proved with video cam, did not headbutt her,  pleaded not guilty for being drunk and disorderly, passed a breath test, went to court but his solicitor who he only met 1hr before the court case, advised him to plead guilty on all offences , otherwise it would go to crown court,he's appealing the charges,that's what I mean that the BL went overboard with the charges on consent of the police, so all you lot should be standing up for him instead of slagging him off, that's the true story, but BL only published the story given to them by the police,

“Didn’t heabutt HER” ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Just a few things…

- Bristol Live (and the club) published the story as it stands. He’s been convicted. That’s not police spin.

- He pleaded not guilty but there was bodycam footage. That suggests there’s the awkward thing of “evidence”

- Why would he plead guilty so it didn’t go to crown court (and therefore not extend the case) and then appeal and extend the case

- Lastly, as he’s been proven on camera to have attempted to headbutt a woman, why the hell do you think “us lot” should stick up for him? 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just a few things…

- Bristol Live (and the club) published the story as it stands. He’s been convicted. That’s not police spin.

- He pleaded not guilty but there was bodycam footage. That suggests there’s the awkward thing of “evidence”

- Why would he plead guilty so it didn’t go to crown court (and therefore not extend the case) and then appeal and extend the case

- Lastly, as he’s been proven on camera to have attempted to headbutt a woman, why the hell do you think “us lot” should stick up for him? 

What are you ,a solicitor,?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Red-Al said:

What are you ,a solicitor,?

Nope. But simple question once more.

As his dad, you’re clearly defending him. Your prerogative. But why, once more, do you expect us all to stick up for him when he’s pleaded guilty and there is video evidence that secured the conviction?

Or are you saying the video evidence is false?

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nope. But simple question once more.

As his dad, you’re clearly defending him. Your prerogative. But why, once more, do you expect us all to stick up for him when he’s pleaded guilty and there is video evidence that secured the conviction?

Or are you saying the video evidence is false?

You are a solicitor, your questioning me like one,as far as I'm concerned nothing more to say whilst he's appealing, think what you like, like the police, 

• Haha 3

You are a solicitor, your questioning me like one,as far as I'm concerned nothing more to say whilst he's appealing, think what you like, like the police, 

I’m going to give you some advice that will help you through life.

Not everyone who asks a reasonable question on a public forum when you’ve put information out there is a solicitor. 

I’m not a solicitor but I can only conclude from your evasiveness that you have the square root of sod all to say why we should stick up for your son. 

In the words of Cilla, “won’t you come back and let us know how you got on”

Forgive me for intruding, but there is one thing I don’t really understand.

You state that your son is appealing (and I’m sure he is to you - parents often have unconditional love for their children), but the ‘official’ reports indicate that he pleaded guilty!

What exactly is he appealing against, and on what grounds?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You state that your son is appealing (and I’m sure he is to you - parents often have unconditional love for their children), but the ‘official’ reports indicate that he pleaded guilty!

He was told to by his solicitor, against his judgement 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m going to give you some advice that will help you through life.

Not everyone who asks a reasonable question on a public forum when you’ve put information out there is a solicitor. 

I’m not a solicitor but I can only conclude from your evasiveness that you have the square root of sod all to say why we should stick up for your son. 

In the words of Cilla, “won’t you come back and let us know how you got on”

???

51 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

so all you lot should be standing up for him instead of slagging him off, that's the true story

So the story from your side is your son left the ground after the Man City match, was making his way to you who was waiting in the car, minding his own business, when the police descended on him and arrested him for swearing, despite not having had a warning of any kind previously.

He then passed a breath test so was not drunk, not even over the drink drive limit.

He was then accused of trying to headbutt a policewoman, but the bodycam evidence exonerates him.

Despite this he was charged and taken to court.

His first contact with a solicitor was an hour before entering the court, and said solicitor advised him to plead guilty.

He was then obviously convicted on the back of this guilty plea.

Your son is now claiming that he was incorrectly advised and is trying to get his conviction overturned via appeal.

Please correct me if anything is incorrect there.

If it is all totally correct, then of course we should be supporting him as it is an obvious miscarriage of justice, but somehow I'm just not buying it.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m just going to leave this here.

The case was heard at Bristol Magistrates Court. Here’s the rules:

https://www.gov.uk/appeal-magistrates-court-decision

Crucially, if you plead guilty you can only appeal the sentence and not the verdict. So, whatever happens, we can be sure that the conviction will stand and he has a conviction of common assault against an emergency worker.

On that basis, I’m still not sure what we’re supposed to be sticking up for!

64B31369-AA1A-4371-AF3F-11EB52B3D959.jpeg

Edit: you can appeal a Magistrates Court decision to the Crown Court if you pled guilty. However that would mean this gent pled guilty to avoid going to Crown Court and then went to Crown Court to appeal the guilty verdict. Which is odd!

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

So the story from your side is your son left the ground after the Man City match, was making his way to you who was waiting in the car, minding his own business, when the police descended on him and arrested him for swearing, despite not having had a warning of any kind previously.

He then passed a breath test so was not drunk, not even over the drink drive limit.

He was then accused of trying to headbutt a policewoman, but the bodycam evidence exonerates him.

Despite this he was charged and taken to court.

His first contact with a solicitor was an hour before entering the court, and said solicitor advised him to plead guilty.

He was then obviously convicted on the back of this guilty plea.

Your son is now claiming that he was incorrectly advised and is trying to get his conviction overturned via appeal.

Please correct me if anything is incorrect there.

If it is all totally correct, then of course we should be supporting him as it is an obvious miscarriage of justice, but somehow I'm just not buying it.

Not asking you to buy it,that's howl it was, 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m just going to leave this here.

The case was heard at Bristol Magistrates Court. Here’s the rules:

https://www.gov.uk/appeal-magistrates-court-decision

Crucially, if you plead guilty you can only appeal the sentence and not the verdict. So, whatever happens, we can be sure that the conviction will stand and he has a conviction of common assault against an emergency worker.

On that basis, I’m still not sure what we’re supposed to be sticking up for!

64B31369-AA1A-4371-AF3F-11EB52B3D959.jpeg

Exactly.

I am aware of the grounds for appeal and, crucially, what cannot be appealed, hence my question to @Red-Al.

Unless I have misunderstood his response, the young man is appealing something because his solicitor advised him to do so, against somebody’s judgement.

It is established that he can’t appeal the verdict, only the sentence, but personally I think he has got off quite lightly.

I actually feel sorry for them...how can you be that thick. ?? 

Everyone gives someone a chance...but this is typical of society today. 

It's always someone's else's fault for your own actions. 

Discipline starts at home. 

Have a word with yourself if your son is behaving like a dick head and expecting people to back you. 

Start a thread complaining on an open forum ( which bit of that sounds like a good idea in the first place, typical of Kardashian society )..found guilty...now complaining about solicitors and not understanding...jeeez... Which bit of that makes you look like an innocent? 

Perhaps you need to grab your 33 year old son and tell him to get a life, grow up, stop behaving like a 12 year old, and making you look like a complete tool. 

Harsh...but true. 

Just because he and you support City...it doesn't mean fans will support you for being dick heads. 

This clown needs throwing under the bus. Too polite in our responses by far. 

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Who's judgement do you trust more? A solicitor who is vastly experienced in their field, or your son who tried to headbutt a copper? 

No evidence in that, now your believing the police, video showed no attempt headbutt 

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I actually feel sorry for them...how can you be that thick. ?? 

Everyone gives someone a chance...but this is typical of society today. 

It's always someone's else's fault for your own actions. 

Discipline starts at home. 

Have a word with yourself if your son is behaving like a dick head and expecting people to back you. 

Start a thread complaining on an open forum ( which bit of that sounds like a good idea in the first place, typical of Kardashian society )..found guilty...now complaining about solicitors and not understanding...jeeez... Which bit of that makes you look like an innocent? 

Perhaps you need to grab your 33 year old son and tell him to get a life, grow up, stop behaving like a 12 year old, and making you look like a complete tool. 

Harsh...but true. 

Just because he and you support City...it doesn't mean fans will support you for being dick heads. 

This clown needs throwing under the bus. Too polite in our responses by far. 

Maybe you're te IDIOT 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Red-Al said:

Not asking you to buy it,that's howl it was, 

But you were waiting in the car, how do you know how it was?

Being it was a sell out crowd presumably there's literally hundreds of witnesses to back up your son?

Edited by DaveF