IGNORED

Next Season....Recruitment etc

spudski

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Decent shot stopper but that is about it. Kicking is atrocious. Doesn’t command his area. I don’t think Bentley did either for comparison.

By no means a terrible keeper, just more of a championship No.2. I see O’Leary as a weak link in the team. There has to be stronger options out there.

If everyone at the club was fit you would I don’t know what other area you would look at and say it needed strengthening more than in goal. Right back is covered, as is left back and centre backs. Midfield and attacking are all decent with the youngsters growing season by season. Yes some will leave, some are entering their twilight years. But man for man as it stands, keeper would be the first area I would look to improve on.

Glad you’re not manager! He’s been hugely consistent lately and the one part of the team where there is no concern.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Fuber, @Harry I’d be going for Finn Azaz.

Not sure what his contract situation is at Villa, but potentially OOC this summer but year option.

Tins could get a good reference from his mate Flynn at Walsall (ex-Newport).  Plus he must’ve watched him at At Cheltenham and Newport.

Out of curiosity, how and why are BT and Flynn mates?

18 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

They've built a relationship through Tinnions tenure as loan Manager as far as I am aware. From memory Flynn has name checked his relationship with the club and Tinnion has often alluded to the networking and "trust" he places in the people he used to send loanees to.

I know that Semenyo went there on loan a few years ago - and shone in the FA Cup, before Chelsea recalled him ? - but I didn’t realise there was a strong relationship.

1 hour ago, Rossineri said:

Fev’s have you got a strong C Forward on your short list? One who can hold the ball up for us, compete in the air and score some goals? In the Gyokeres mould. 

Ogbene is my man…but I don’t think we will recruit a forward unless someone leaves.  He’s actually playing wide right at the moment, which was his normal position until he moved central in the last 18 months.

If I was thinking of a bit of a punt (not necessarily in terms of fee mind you!) from Lg1 as a physical striker, I’d take a look at Colby Bishop at Portsmouth.  Wish he was 22/23, not 26, but I think he could get goals at our level.  Think he’d cost a bit more than we’d want to pay.

25 minutes ago, James54De said:

A couple of English lessons would certainly help you. 

Why are you being such a jerk?  
He explained what he meant, and when other posters politely pointed out that he was wrong, he held his hands up and admitted it, and that it was from rumours on here. 
What sort of bone are you looking for here Mr Dog? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, James54De said:

A couple of English lessons would certainly help you. 

Whenever I read your posts, you seem very certain  of your own intellect, importance and superiority to other posters. But whatever intellect you may or may not have never really seems to actually translate into your actual posts.

I don’t know you, of course, and you could be a genius who just isn’t great at translating that into written form. But I’m genuinely curious to know what you base your superiority on? It seems to me you spend a lot of time belittling other people but very little time demonstrating that you have anything about yourself to belittle others about.

What is it you feel you have achieved makes you feel so entitled to lecture and patronise others? Or is it actually the fact you’ve not achieved the things you feel your intellect deserves that means you take it out on people online?

You don’t need to answer any this of course but - even if you are anywhere near as clever as you appear to think you are - a touch of humility and class would go an extremely long way.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

On @Harry’s list.  He’s not stood out in the games I’ve watched, but we’ll get a good look tomorrow.  Hopefully he’s shit!!!

I wouldn’t say he’s “on my list” as such. He’s more “on the list of out of contract championship level centre backs”. 
He’s decent for this level but not someone we’d want to sign to take us to the next level (ie the top end of this league) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 10:08, Magger1 said:

Jordan thorniley would be a steal from Blackpool free agent end of season aged 26 ?

On 10/03/2023 at 12:55, Davefevs said:

On @Harry’s list.  He’s not stood out in the games I’ve watched, but we’ll get a good look tomorrow.  Hopefully he’s shit!!!

23 hours ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t say he’s “on my list” as such. He’s more “on the list of out of contract championship level centre backs”. 
He’s decent for this level but not someone we’d want to sign to take us to the next level (ie the top end of this league) 

Was pretty solid wasn't he. 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 08:49, spudski said:

The recent 'Problems up front' thread got me thinking last night. As some valid points were made regarding players. 

With the recent departure of Semenyo, the long term injuries to Kalas and Williams and age catching up with some prominent essential players, I thought the subject deserved a thread of it's own. 

Tinman has alluded to bringing in possibly 4 players next season. 

Is this enough?

We are likely to sell Scott for decent money. 

Kalas (30 next season) injury prone likely to not get a renewed contract, but can't be relied on for a full season. 

Williams...again...injury prone. We can't rely on him being a regular.

King will be 35 next season. Age catches up just like it did with Klose.

Naismith had a bad injury, will be 32 next season.

James...been fantastic this season, but again, will be 32 next season. Age catches up. 

Weimann will be 32, hasn't been great this season. On a downward slope?

Wells will be 33. He's been good, but again...legs don't last.

Massengo will be gone, doubts over DaSilva, maybe interest in the likes of Pring. 

That's 11 players with question marks. 

Take those away...and it leaves us with this.

GK 

Haikin 27, O'Leary 26

DF 

Atkinson (long term injury) 24

Vyner 25

Wilson 22

Tanner 23

MF 

Benarous (long term injury) 19

Sykes 25

Mehmeti 22

Forwards 

Conway ( long term injury ) 20

Cornick 27

Bell 20

So in short. We have age catching up with some influential players. Injury prone players who are deemed first team starts we can't rely on. Our best players leaving/ just left. Players coming back from injury, and new recruits who are showing how long it takes to gell. 

I can't see anyone in our current academy that can come in and start on a regular basis and be good enough to make an impact that would make us a solid Championship side. 

So we can't rely on that?

Whilst our younger players will have another season under their belts and positively developing ( Tanner, Sykes eg) our experienced players have imo, reached their peak, and will be on a downward slope. Age just catches up. Even more so when playing with such high intensity we are aiming to play. 

It's been said we will be looking to recruit, young hungry players from League 1 with games under their belt. 

What about replacing our experienced players. James has been a rock. But next season? 

Thoughts?

It depends on the players and how they manage themselves.  Some older players are needed for the balance of youth and experience.  You don't always need speed but a football brain is essential , to play. 

2 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

It depends on the players and how they manage themselves.  Some older players are needed for the balance of youth and experience.  You don't always need speed but a football brain is essential , to play. 

That's a given. However...you need both these days, especially with the high intensity of the Championship, the amount of games, and the fact NP wants to play faster, high intensive football, with an aim on running and high fitness levels. 

I was impressed by Luke McNally, a 23 year old 6ft 3 centre half on loan at Coventry from Burnley, when I saw him on tv the other week. Seems to be getting good reviews at Coventry and talk they hope to sign him permanently at the end of the season. Would like to think we’d be interested. 

• Like 2