IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Add into that the fact we are already playing in next season's home and third shirt, psychologically we are done with this season. 

All we have is to get players back, blood some youngsters and play for pride. Oh and of course the club have to get fans to buy Season Tickets.

Good luck with that, the way we seem to be finishing the season if the payers can't seem to be bugger8d why should we, and with the prospect of losing at least one of our promising payers and probably more where will that leave us going forward? as ever with city it seems to be one step forward half a step back.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Some people lack the perspective and maturity to take a defeat on the chin when we have a starting midfield of Taylor-Clark and King and a Central pairing of Pring and Vyner. Our injury list is ridiculous and denying that is the case simply because you are disappointed we have lost and don't know how to control your emotions is the main thing that is woeful and pathetic.

For me the injury and availability situation still needs looking at despite Pearson claiming it has massively improved. To me we have only improved from abysmal to poor in the overall fitness and availability area which is why we still find ourselves having to take days like today on the chin (or at least those of the fanbase that can without crying and abusing the club). 

Been here before though too many times haven't we.

• Like 2

The two positives from today were the performance of Omar Taylor-Clark and Kane Wilson getting on the pitch. Young Omar was understandably nervy at the beginning and made a couple if small mistakes but really grew into the game where he was, excellent at breaking up their attacks and passed it around nice and simple. In one particular passage of play in the second half he made two great tackles on the edge of our box, then having won it played it simply forward where it eventually got fed to Mehmeti, who after a typical mazy run dropped it back off to OTC who got a good shot on target away. 

It was good to see Kane Wilson back and he liked lively in his cameo with one particularly good run. 

Not much else to say. We should have done better in defending the goals, Max should have saved the 2nd, but in truth they were a yard quicker than us all game. 

We should have players back after the international break to give NP more options. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, winsaw said:

Or we could give the exciting players coming through in the good under 21s side the chance to see if they can do it, maybe with 2 or 3 experienced signings to help them, 

Perhaps, though it does depend how far we want to move forward and how quickly. Bit suggesting we sign older players as such ether- the Crystal Palace centre back and Currie are of a good age profile.

Always hard to get that balance right and I'm delighted at the youth progress but there can be too much of a good thing. 

Frustrating afternoon.  Threadbare squad.  Shit referee (not the pen, just everything else).  Running on empty.  International break very welcome to get James, Naismith and Conway back.  Get Pring back to LB.  And we give the last 8 games a real go.

Thought we only really played decently for 10-15 mins in each half, and perversely conceded at the end of of each of those spells where we looked relatively threatening.

The injuries to Kalas, Atkinson and James in this spell (after a great run) have killed us, plus Joe Williams too.

I’m always the optimist but today, like in midweek was all about trying to suck it up and maybe get something on the break, cling on, etc.

So, whilst I’m disappointed to have lost both, I don’t think it reflects much at all overall.

This is a squad that is only a good / “properly competitive” squad when the key players are fit.  It has bugger all depth, and for me the bigger picture is that we’ve got through the season safely, and showed what it is capable of when near full strength.

It will really highlight what needs to be done in the summer.

Well done to OTC today, making his full debut and doing himself full justice too.

Nice to see Kane Wilson get 10 mins too.  Hopefully give him a boost for the games when we come back.

Enjoy the break fellow reds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Main points for me were that some clarity on players and their best positions from this injury crisis.:  

If King wants a new contract it will be as a coach as he is no longer up to the pace of the Championship. He will make an excellent coach and mentor if he is offered an opportunity and chooses to stay.

Jay Desilva has such quality with close control but sadly his height and variable attacking contributions mean it's best for the Club and Jay if he is moved on.  He won't be offered a new contract and rightly so.  Cam Pring is terrific in that role and makes a commendable stand-in centre back but it's not his position and he's wasted there.

Omar Taylor-Clarke is yet another impressive academy product who didn't look out of place in the Championship with his debut. He deserves another opportunity and with someone who still has his legs. That's harsh on King but sadly it's evident that his Championship days are over.  The massive plus from the season has been the number of academy players who have stepped up and excelled.

Harry Cornick the patient view - he may make a decent squad player and it's harsh to judge prematurely. The equally reasonable view is he doesn't really fit the criteria of someone who improves the team and doesn't fit the young and hungry up-and-coming player from a lower level who needs time to adjust. He wasn't needed given we have strength up front and it would have been better to recruit in midfield.

The existing attacking quintet of Wells, Bell, Conway, Sykes were banging in the goals.  It shows that certain combinations click and it's hard to integrate players in the January window.  

An in-form Weimann in a central forward position is a great asset but played out wide or too deep just doesn't work.  Play him in his best position.  If not then just don't start him as it isn't particularly fair on Weimann based on his prolific form last season.  The same point can be made about Sykes in that he has performed so well in a wide-forward position. It also applies to Bell who is a terrific pacy wide attacking player with an eye for goal but he is not a centre forward. Perhaps it's a bit harsh to judge the shuffling given the injuries but Bell and sykes were banging in the goals from wider positions and Weimann deserved a chance centrally.  Up front, the injuries only included Conway so it's perhaps been an overly hasty effort by Pearson to integrate the new signings and keep them happy.

Alex Scott will be sold - will the transfer money be used wisely?  I like the criteria outlined (young, pacy lower division players who deserve a chance to step up) but not the Harry Cornick type of acquisition - a late 20's player who at best is a useful squad player in an area where we are already well covered with talent and someone unlikely to improve much.  I suspect with Tinn's influence there will be some exciting young signings but the jury is out on if we also recruit worthy quad players who don't improve us.

If we sell Alex Scott for 25m plus the scope with some of this plus the Semenyo money pick up the very best of the talent from leagues 1 and 2 and equivalent levels In Europe.  We need to be in touch with the play-offs next season given the opportunity                                                       

A quality goalkeeper is needed to compete with Max.

• Like 3

Just back from the game.  We were abysmal, total embarrassment. There are only a few players to come out of that with any credit, and principal among them is Omar T C.  Battled and scrapped for everything.  The other was Sykes who put another shift in. Scott was marked out of the game, and without his influence we were clueless.  We couldn’t get anywhere near the ball for large parts of the game, and once they had gone ahead (such a soft goal), there was no way we were ever going to get back in it.  Cornick as a starter, come on NP have a word with yourself.  I’m not writing him off totally yet, but this season  he looks about as much threat as a cold rice pudding.  Worrying., Zak seems to be regressing, King cannot play more than one decent game a fortnight, Sam still looks really lightweight and got bullied by their defenders today, and Max had a shocker - couldn’t see the second too clearly but it looked stoppable, was  right behind the first and I that seemed to go past him in slow motion. Thought Tanner did ok, totally baffled by his substitution, effectively nullifying Sykes.  That was the quietest away end I’ve been in for some time, thought we’d get it going at some point, but the team gave us nothing.  I can’t be bothered with international breaks normally, but thank god we have one now, we desperately need it. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, pillred said:

Been here before though too many times haven't we.

We have but completely and utterly losing your shit, abusing the club/individual players and pretending we don’t have an injury crisis just because we have played poorly and lost a game of football isn’t really the way to deal with the situation. It’s only a minority but still an all too large minority that get nasty on here when we are losing on a match day.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Main points for me were that some clarity on players and their best positions from this injury crisis.:  

If King wants a new contract it will be as a coach as he is no longer up to the pace of the Championship. He will make an excellent coach and mentor if he is offered an opportunity and chooses to stay.

Jay Desilva has such quality with close control but sadly his height and variable attacking contributions mean it's best for the Club and Jay if he is moved on.  He won't be offered a new contract and rightly so.  Cam Pring is terrific in that role and makes a commendable stand-in centre back but it's not his position and he's wasted there.

Omar Taylor-Clarke is yet another impressive academy product who didn't look out of place in the Championship with his debut. He deserves another opportunity and with someone who still has his legs. That's harsh on King but sadly it's evident that his Championship days are over.  The massive plus from the season has been the number of academy players who have stepped up and excelled.

Harry Cornick the patient view - he may make a decent squad player and it's harsh to judge prematurely. The equally reasonable view is he doesn't really fit the criteria of someone who improves the team and doesn't fit the young and hungry up-and-coming player from a lower level who needs time to adjust. He wasn't needed given we have strength up front and it would have been better to recruit in midfield.

The existing attacking quintet of Wells, Bell, Conway, Sykes were banging in the goals.  It shows that certain combinations click and it's hard to integrate players in the January window.  

An in-form Weimann in a central forward position is a great asset but played out wide or too deep just doesn't work.  Play him in his best position.  If not then just don't start him as it isn't particularly fair on Weimann based on his prolific form last season.  The same point can be made about Sykes in that he has performed so well in a wide-forward position. It also applies to Bell who is a terrific pacy wide attacking player with an eye for goal but he is not a centre forward. Perhaps it's a bit harsh to judge the shuffling given the injuries but Bell and sykes were banging in the goals from wider positions and Weimann deserved a chance centrally.  Up front, the injuries only included Conway so it's perhaps been an overly hasty effort by Pearson to integrate the new signings and keep them happy.

Alex Scott will be sold - will the transfer money be used wisely?  I like the criteria outlined (young, pacy lower division players who deserve a chance to step up) but not the Harry Cornick type of acquisition - a late 20's player who at best is a useful squad player in an area where we are already well covered with talent and someone unlikely to improve much.  I suspect with Tinn's influence there will be some exciting young signings but the jury is out on if we also recruit worthy quad players who don't improve us.

If we sell Alex Scott for 25m plus the scope with some of this plus the Semenyo money pick up the very best of the talent from leagues 1 and 2 and equivalent levels In Europe.  We need to be in touch with the play-offs next season given the opportunity                                                       

A quality goalkeeper is needed to compete with Max.

Good assessment........and i completely agree that we needed to reinforce midield as a matter of urgency, rather than recruit a rather ordinary forward, who quite possibly will find it hard to feature next season?  It is obvious to most that we need a strong physicaL presence upfront , capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play.........as an option.   Injuries have hit us hard, and shown the lack of depth in the squad, but the major benefit has been the excellent young academy players who have been given a chance? 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Good assessment........and i completely agree that we needed to reinforce midield as a matter of urgency, rather than recruit a rather ordinary forward, who quite possibly will find it hard to feature next season?  It is obvious to most that we need a strong physicaL presence upfront , capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play.........as an option.   Injuries have hit us hard, and shown the lack of depth in the squad, but the major benefit has been the excellent young academy players who have been given a chance? 

Yes, good summary @bcfcnick.

What we are seeing is a managing to a plan, where as at the end of January the “team” felt that it didn’t need a quick fix, ie we felt we had enough to not get dragged into a relegation fight…and so it proved.  We got a couple of players back fit, brought forward two signings and secured enough points.  We’ve avoided wasting money.  By the time the break is over, we should have Naismith, Conway and James back and that strengthens the core of the team, hopefully allows Cam to go back to LB, and we can go into games with a bit of confidence again.

I want us to finish as high as possible, but if we get to see a bit more OTC, it’s better to have our Academy guys providing backfill than senior pros “just in case”.  Would be nice to see OTC next to James at some point too.

• Like 7
52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, good summary @bcfcnick.

What we are seeing is a managing to a plan, where as at the end of January the “team” felt that it didn’t need a quick fix, ie we felt we had enough to not get dragged into a relegation fight…and so it proved.  We got a couple of players back fit, brought forward two signings and secured enough points.  We’ve avoided wasting money.  By the time the break is over, we should have Naismith, Conway and James back and that strengthens the core of the team, hopefully allows Cam to go back to LB, and we can go into games with a bit of confidence again.

I want us to finish as high as possible, but if we get to see a bit more OTC, it’s better to have our Academy guys providing backfill than senior pros “just in case”.  Would be nice to see OTC next to James at some point too.

Once Cam is slotted back at LB.......who would you see filling his role at Centre Back?...........Is Naismith the best option, or is there anyone else?

In my opinion need to get Bell out on loan , I’m still unsure , I would also go for a mobile bullish forward , perhaps we could revisit Luton and get one of there front two ?, also need to get pring back to LB asap our balance is totally lost with him not playing there . Dasilva get rid not his fault can’t help his size but if I was a manager I would target him if he is LB every time . 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Magger1 said:

No I say it as it is if their good I congratulate em but last couple of games the makeshift 11 haven’t been good and look like they need this break I’d like to see us better last seasons 55 points then we can say we’re heading in right direction but today was poor Swansea have only won 3 of last 21 games we should be taking at least a point there 

Indeed, when youve been watching us for decades, you reserve the right to be annoyed with the millionth spineless away loss… 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We have but completely and utterly losing your shit, abusing the club/individual players and pretending we don’t have an injury crisis just because we have played poorly and lost a game of football isn’t really the way to deal with the situation. It’s only a minority but still an all too large minority that get nasty on here when we are losing on a match day.

Not nasty just saying it how it is, we go through periods of being average at best then for a while we pick up, but unfortunately when we get a team together that looks like it's going places it's picked apart usually by teams that have parachute payments and so it starts all over again, look I have no idea how old you are or how long you have been following the club but people like me who have been going down the gate for over 50 years have unfortunately seen it all before too many times to mention. Swansea had been on a terrible run of form yet we still never really looked like winning, make all the excuses you like and there are some I admit but it just seems like deja vu to most of us old enough to have seen it all before, look I'm a season ticket holder I keep hoping that one day it will click but the last time we were in the top flight I was clubbing it at Romeo and Juliet's now I'm entering the meat raffle at my local working mens club which gives you some idea how long I have waited for real success, again I have never got nasty but even I am growing weary of us at best treading water.   

Edited by pillred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, redkev said:

In my opinion need to get Bell out on loan , I’m still unsure , I would also go for a mobile bullish forward , perhaps we could revisit Luton and get one of there front two ?, also need to get pring back to LB asap our balance is totally lost with him not playing there . Dasilva get rid not his fault can’t help his size but if I was a manager I would target him if he is LB every time . 

I've also been thinking recently that Bell might be out on loan next season.

Spending the first half of the season on loan getting gametime in League 1 might be a really good challenge for him and a chance to get to grips with the physicality of the pro game.

Given the options we've got in forward areas, and who knows, maybe the possibility of bringing a proper front man, we don't need to keep Bell in the squad for sentimental reasons.

My only concern about losing Bell from the squad is that he's got considerably more pace than the other forwards. But having said that, we don't seem to use it effectively.

• Like 2

Just watched the highlights, (Lowlights) with 2 Welsh commentators, who were as patronising as possible. Watching it through again  ....  I have to say I was embarassed, despite the injuries, and a long season, the 2 words that come to mind are Limp and Inept ?  And did Pearson have to look so smiley  and happy while shaking every Welsh coaches, assistant managers and tea ladies hand at full time?   I was fed up there on Sunday, even more fed up after watching that performance again.  Best written off and  Forgotten....maybe we can go back there next season and prove to the Welsh that we know how to play football and make an effort?                            

16 hours ago, pillred said:

Not nasty just saying it how it is, we go through periods of being average at best then for a while we pick up, but unfortunately when we get a team together that looks like it's going places it's picked apart usually by teams that have parachute payments and so it starts all over again, look I have no idea how old you are or how long you have been following the club but people like me who have been going down the gate for over 50 years have unfortunately seen it all before too many times to mention. Swansea had been on a terrible run of form yet we still never really looked like winning, make all the excuses you like and there are some I admit but it just seems like deja vu to most of us old enough to have seen it all before, look I'm a season ticket holder I keep hoping that one day it will click but the last time we were in the top flight I was clubbing it at Romeo and Juliet's now I'm entering the meat raffle at my local working mens club which gives you some idea how long I have waited for real success, again I have never got nasty but even I am growing weary of us at best treading water.   

I'm not talking about you personally. Some people really do get nasty on here when we are losing and are so emotionally immature that they deny we have an injury crisis just because we've lost. I have watched City in the top flight so it's got nothing to do with age as you were suggesting. Obviously I couldn't understand how tough it is for you and your ilk because I've only been going for 46 years and for 20 years of that I was restricted to watching a lot less games as like many I decided to play the game rather than just watch it.

What I do know is that I won't be hurling personal insults at players I would struggle to tackle in a telephone box unless there is a clear and obvious lack of effort and to be honest that is not something I've seen all season. I've seen mistakes, poor game management, poor passing, lack of cutting edge, players proving their inexperience, lack of concentration, all those things but what I don't see is players not running about, shitting out of tackles, not jumping for headers, shirking responsibility, deliberately getting to tackles a split second late so they don't have to make them etc. etc. none of those things. So for me if the lads we have are giving it their all and their all ain't good enough on a consistent basis then I'll live with that without needing to see a Doctor about Depression or Tourettes.

I can see when an Owner has completely and utterly ****** up (with his own money tbf) and trusted a second hand car salesman equivalent and I can see the price we have had to pay because of that for 2-3 years now. I can see a team that go 9 unbeaten and then infuriates for four or five matches. I can see a side that shows what it can do some weeks and doesn't other weeks which is a damn sight better than two years ago. I can recognise that a side with a kid in Centre Mid alongside a guy playing his last ten or so games of league football in all likelihood, with a makeshift back four and missing two key midfield players losing against Swansea City is not the same as a full strength side going down there and playing like we did yesterday. It's not excuses, it's what you call saying it how it is..................

If you can't recognise some of the things above because you are more of a wise old head than me then fair enough, no point arguing about it.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not talking about you personally. Some people really do get nasty on here when we are losing and are so emotionally immature that they deny we have an injury crisis just because we've lost. I have watched City in the top flight so it's got nothing to do with age as you were suggesting. Obviously I couldn't understand how tough it is for you and your ilk because I've only been going for 46 years and for 20 years of that I was restricted to watching a lot less games as like many I decided to play the game rather than just watch it.

What I do know is that I won't be hurling personal insults at players I would struggle to tackle in a telephone box unless there is a clear and obvious lack of effort and to be honest that is not something I've seen all season. I've seen mistakes, poor game management, poor passing, lack of cutting edge, players proving their inexperience, lack of concentration, all those things but what I don't see is players not running about, shitting out of tackles, not jumping for headers, shirking responsibility, deliberately getting to tackles a split second late so they don't have to make them etc. etc. none of those things. So for me if the lads we have are giving it their all and their all ain't good enough on a consistent basis then I'll live with that without needing to see a Doctor about Depression or Tourettes.

I can see when an Owner has completely and utterly ****** up (with his own money tbf) and trusted a second hand car salesman equivalent and I can see the price we have had to pay because of that for 2-3 years now. I can see a team that go 9 unbeaten and then infuriates for four or five matches. I can see a side that shows what it can do some weeks and doesn't other weeks which is a damn sight better than two years ago. I can recognise that a side with a kid in Centre Mid alongside a guy playing his last ten or so games of league football in all likelihood, with a makeshift back four and missing two key midfield players losing against Swansea City is not the same as a full strength side going down there and playing like we did yesterday. It's not excuses, it's what you call saying it how it is..................

If you can't recognise some of the things above because you are more of a wise old head than me then fair enough, no point arguing about it.

Couldn’t agree more.

I saw one or two “players are in the beach” comments yesterday.  I completely disagree with that.

We worked hard yesterday, but lack of quality in the team, coupled with mental and physical fatigue caught up with us.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Nothing wrong in what you have said the main thrust of my argument is that we have been in the position we currently are so many times under various owners not just SL  so I can completely understand the frustration that a lot of supporters feel and with 46 years behind you you too must feel frustrated yourself at the way we keep being in the position we find ourselves in yet again though I'm sure a full strength side probably would have beaten Swansea, and injuries, another recuring theme as well, are we cursed? sometimes it feels we are. 

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

Nothing wrong in what you have said the main thrust of my argument is that we have been in the position we currently are so many times under various owners not just SL  so I can completely understand the frustration that a lot of supporters feel and with 46 years behind you you too must feel frustrated yourself at the way we keep being in the position we find ourselves in yet again though I'm sure a full strength side probably would have beaten Swansea, and injuries, another recuring theme as well, are we cursed? sometimes it feels we are. 

I’m quite enjoying it…I see a plan being executed, carefully, methodically whilst we get out of the mess.  This summer will be the first one we can be proactive in the market.  Having said that I don’t see recruitment solving everything in one window either.  But continued progress excites me.  And progress isn’t about points this season per se either.  Circumstances and all that.  But we are on the right lines.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m quite enjoying it…I see a plan being executed, carefully, methodically whilst we get out of the mess.  This summer will be the first one we can be proactive in the market.  Having said that I don’t see recruitment solving everything in one window either.  But continued progress excites me.  And progress isn’t about points this season per se either.  Circumstances and all that.  But we are on the right lines.

Bizarre isn't it, that we are probably going to finish in or around the same points as last season (55), but this campaign feels more than about points. We've reduced the playing budget, managed the transition of a large number of Academy players, shifted players that either don't want to be here, or we can't afford, whilst getting £10+m for a player that could easily have done a Fammy on us.

Whilst all of that has been going on, our crowd average has gone over 20k for the first time in a long long time. There are positives, but as a squad it still feels that we are a long way off being around the top 6 places.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1