IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, we’ve proved that with most of our key players available we are competitive in this league, hell, we’ve had an 8 game unbeaten run and a 13 game one this season.  That doesn’t smack of poor or disappointing to me, but that’s me.  But it’s pretty evident when the likes of James or Naismith (or both) are out, we find it harder to get points.  Not just those two, that’s far too simplistic a reason, include Atkinson too, Pring having to play CB, etc, etc.

So the gist of it for me is that we need to improve depth…and that doesn’t mean hoarding players, just a few more true first team options rather than debutants and 34 year old CMs (no dissing of Andy King).

I agree with the above.

I think if everybody was available and we were to pick our 'Best 11' it's easily a top 10 side regardless of if we all agree on every player/formation.

Think the lack of depth is a real indication of where we've had to cost cut and we've gambled our core of 15 or so 'first teamers'  will get us through with help from academy prospects etc. Where we are at an advantageous situation for next season is a lot of these academy players have now had first team football. Players like Taylor-Clarke and Bell almost move up into that 'core group' having had more exposure to first team and as a result are more viable options if needed.

Assuming Scott goes we need to be clever on how we spend it, we know we're not going to get another Alex Scott from nowhere so will need to have a clear strategy and plan for the year. But if we can recruit well and increase that core group to 19-20 not including academy products who haven't played first team or King then we will be in a much better situation going forwards!

Where we are at a disadvantage is likely losing Scott and Kalas so need to replace with quality there to ensure that best 11 stays top 10 without compromising the budget and leaving us with no depth.

Feels like I say it every year but this summer will be a really interesting one as there's so many different potential routes and strategies the club could choose to adopt!

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I think we’ve had a pretty good season, the biggest negative for me is the fitness department re amount of injuries, but a lot have been impact (unsure how much can be attributed to bad luck).

Sometimes an injury is self inflicted. We now have a squad of players who are giving everything to the team effort. So rather than pulling out of tackles or "hiding" like we were when NP arrived, some may be trying too hard and in a way causing their injuries. Especially the younger ones who are still learning the game. And the elders of the squad carrying on playing with a niggle injury that can be coped with but finally makes them stop.

I'm hoping that we get a squad with two for each position and where those niggles can be given a rest to recover rather than being out for months.

24 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I agree with the above.

I think if everybody was available and we were to pick our 'Best 11' it's easily a top 10 side regardless of if we all agree on every player/formation.

Think the lack of depth is a real indication of where we've had to cost cut and we've gambled our core of 15 or so 'first teamers'  will get us through with help from academy prospects etc. Where we are at an advantageous situation for next season is a lot of these academy players have now had first team football. Players like Taylor-Clarke and Bell almost move up into that 'core group' having had more exposure to first team and as a result are more viable options if needed.

Assuming Scott goes we need to be clever on how we spend it, we know we're not going to get another Alex Scott from nowhere so will need to have a clear strategy and plan for the year. But if we can recruit well and increase that core group to 19-20 not including academy products who haven't played first team or King then we will be in a much better situation going forwards!

Where we are at a disadvantage is likely losing Scott and Kalas so need to replace with quality there to ensure that best 11 stays top 10 without compromising the budget and leaving us with no depth.

Feels like I say it every year but this summer will be a really interesting one as there's so many different potential routes and strategies the club could choose to adopt!

You worded it much better than I did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I agree with the above.

Very incisive comment.

This season is over and I hope that the remaining games are utilised in a way which ensures as many academy players who are near oven ready are given some game time. The final points tally is obviously important but giving experience to emerging talent is probably more so even just to ensure they can get loan deals in L1 next season.

The summer will be the first opportunity since pre pandemic that there may be cash to spend on "one's for the present" as opposed to "one's for the future". 

3 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I think we’ve had a pretty good season, the biggest negative for me is the fitness department re amount of injuries, but a lot have been impact (unsure how much can be attributed to bad luck).

I think the lack of injuries compared to a couple of seasons ago have been brilliant . You’re always going to get injuries , every club will. It’s the fact that we’ve had a few to key players when we have a small squad all at once that makes it look worse. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For me, we’ve proved that with most of our key players available we are competitive in this league, hell, we’ve had an 8 game unbeaten run and a 13 game one this season.  That doesn’t smack of poor or disappointing to me, but that’s me.  But it’s pretty evident when the likes of James or Naismith (or both) are out, we find it harder to get points.  Not just those two, that’s far too simplistic a reason, include Atkinson too, Pring having to play CB, etc, etc.

So the gist of it for me is that we need to improve depth…and that doesn’t mean hoarding players, just a few more true first team options rather than debutants and 34 year old CMs (no dissing of Andy King).

Practically any team in any division can claim they’ve had spells in a season that weren’t disappointing, to me it’s another disappointing season particularity when you see the likes of Millwall, Blackburn, Luton etc fighting for promotion, maybe it’s just me but I’m still trying to get over my away games at B’ham, Cardiff Luton & Swansea

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, harrys said:

Practically any team in any division can claim they’ve had spells in a season that weren’t disappointing, to me it’s another disappointing season particularity when you see the likes of Millwall, Blackburn, Luton etc fighting for promotion, maybe it’s just me but I’m still trying to get over my away games at B’ham, Cardiff Luton & Swansea

That's it, you focus on the negatives it will save the rest of us from getting depressed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, harrys said:

They are 2-3 years ahead of us in their “growth”.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I agree with the above.

The pressure will be very much on those responsible for recruitment -

Get it right & we will be moving very much in the right direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrys said:

No context whatsoever here. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, harrys said:

I’ve had 60 years of this shit and forty years just to get to a point where we are an established second tier club again.  And you had four shit away games in the effective second division. 

Behave!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Practically any team in any division can claim they’ve had spells in a season that weren’t disappointing, to me it’s another disappointing season particularity when you see the likes of Millwall, Blackburn, Luton etc fighting for promotion

But those clubs are at a different point in the cycle of improvement/stagnation/decline that every club goes through. Have those clubs had to slash their wage bills like us? Or had to sell millions of pounds worth of their best talent to keep FFP happy? Or deal with the fallout of a reckless CEO? Or try and deal with all that and play proper football rather than resorting to lump it, percentage tactics? Luton and Millwall have been on a steady, upward curve in the last year or two - we've been hurtling backwards over that same period, you can't just flick a switch and regain the sort of momentum they've had. Which I'm sure you know. Both those clubs have also recruited well to a specific, coherent gameplan - we haven't been, we've been clubs-in-the-bag scattergun! Until recently... 

So you're not comparing like for like I'm afraid, annoying as it is - and ever was - to see tinpot types out-performing us.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve had 60 years of this shit and forty years just to get to a point where we are an established second tier club again.  And you had four shit away games in the effective second division. 

Behave!!

And I’ve had longer, behave

7 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I agree with the above.

Feels like I say it every year but this summer will be a really interesting one as there's so many different potential routes and strategies the club could choose to 

We lost Kalas before the beginning of the season in reality and we coped.  Bizarrely the player I don't think we've replaced is Cundy.  Think the Palace lad was effectively his replacement but it didn't happen.

A nice mention in a piece on the U20 World Cup too. In particular:

Wednesday brought encouragement for England’s World Cup prospects, however. Foster’s team adapted swiftly to Germany’s gameplan while the impressive central midfield pair of Chelsea’s Carney Chukwuemeka and Bristol City’s Alex Scott illustrated the benefit of Premier League experience and regular first-team football respectively.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/23/these-boys-are-monsters-englands-under-20s-size-up-hectic-world-cup

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Just a look at our squad depth chart.

A nice round 18, if most fit but while prior to last week. Not including Hakin departure yet so as of say last Monday. I know he's gone btw.

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner (Kalas) Atkinson Pring

Naismith

Sykes Scott James Mehmeti

Wells

Hakin, Kalas (Vyner), DaSilva, Williams, Weimann, Cornick, Bell, Conway

Let alone players such as Wilson, King and Benarous.

Bold=Injured

Underlined=Suspended

Italic=Available but questionable match fitness.

Line through=Left

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I must admit I’ve been like a worried parent almost resigning myself that he’s going to get injured on international duty.

Hopefully it’s nothing but we’re already counting down the games we’ve got left seeing him in a City shirt and it’s probably not very many even if he’s fit for Saturday.

With the amount he’s played this season surely it’d be too much at his age to then go on and play in the summer U20 world cup tournament? Of course it probably won’t be Bristol City’s problem come August but still…….

Edited by ralphindevon