IGNORED

Where is the joy?

elhombrecito

Where I sit in the South Stand, I have the misfortune to be sat in front of a father and son who spend the entire game slagging off our players, particularly Andi Weimann, with whom they have a bizarre fascination. This happens even while we are playing well and winning (such as on Saturday), where every minor mistake is criticised.

What I just can't get my head around, is why somebody would pay their hard earned money to purchase a season ticket, and then spend their entire time complaining about the team they support. Where is the joy in that? What exactly are they getting out of attending a game?

Obviously we all get frustrated from time to time, and as City fans we've had more than out fair share to moan about over the recent years, but I honestly don't understand why you would bother attending games if all you can see is the negative aspects of our play?

And yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of me moaning about people moaning :ph34r:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Morons like that get their reverse enjoyment by moaning at everything. If City performed brilliantly in every match and walked away with the league every year, they would still find something to criticise. They

slag because that's how they get their kicks in life.

I bet that they go berserk at the doctor's or A&E if their broken finger nail isn't considered as life threatening!

You need to laugh at them to shut them up.

• Like 4

I wonder what they’re like in the rest of their daily lives?

I sometimes wonder if coming to football is a way to offload all your anger and frustrations and when you get home it’s out of your system, I don’t know.

There are certainly quite a few that seem quite bored when we’re doing well and love the emotions that go with the bad times.

• Like 2

Have complete empathy for you. I sit in the Dolman and behind me is what must be the biggest whinging granddad I have had the displeasure of listening too. I do sometimes watch the game with my fingers in my ears as I just can’t stand his negativity. Every misplaced pass, every shot that’s off target and in particularly the screaming of players of what they should of done. ‘Oh ‘f*****g Vyner’ ‘Vyner again!!’. He particularly has in it for him and yet Zak has a good chance of player of the season this year.  I really don’t know why he pays a season ticket to watch what he often sees as a horror show. He’s the quietest around us when we score as he’s got nothing to moan about. All this with a grandson alongside him who is beginning to mimic his ways.
 I love the familiarity and routine of my regular seat. If it wasn’t for the fact I’ve made good friends around me I would of moved by now. We all like a moan but hey ‘Where is the joy?’

• Like 2

Over the years there have been players that elements of the crowd have berated, obviously Vyner and COD in recent times, and although I rarely agree with the treatment they receive, there have been times when I could see why they might get that reaction. 

But Andi Weimann? Really? His 20 goal season and his wonder strike last week must have given them pause for thought surely? It must be like having pins pressed into their eyes anytime he does something good.

I think it's partly because people like to go to football for a release. I would like to think most supporters are well aware that it's foolish to criticise a new signing after just a handful of games.. or a young player who's still developing - but that's not as interesting for some. They'd rather the instant gratification of being able to vent and criticise.

What I find tends to happen is some people make a flash negative opinion about a player very early - and then try to see a reflection of that opinion in everything they do from then on. 

• Like 3

You are always going to get it unfortunately. People booing Harry Cornick FFS after a few games with us . Truly pathetic. Quite a few people go and watch the city and football and haven’t got a clue about the game. One of my mates use to think he was brilliant at football but in reality he was absolutely shit. People’s judgment is sometimes wrong 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Where I sit in the South Stand, I have the misfortune to be sat in front of a father and son who spend the entire game slagging off our players, particularly Andi Weimann, with whom they have a bizarre fascination. This happens even while we are playing well and winning (such as on Saturday), where every minor mistake is criticised.

What I just can't get my head around, is why somebody would pay their hard earned money to purchase a season ticket, and then spend their entire time complaining about the team they support. Where is the joy in that? What exactly are they getting out of attending a game?

Obviously we all get frustrated from time to time, and as City fans we've had more than out fair share to moan about over the recent years, but I honestly don't understand why you would bother attending games if all you can see is the negative aspects of our play?

And yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of me moaning about people moaning :ph34r:

Ask them directly & post their feedback on here please ??

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Couldn't be like it myself :laugh:.

Edited by pillred
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I wonder what they’re like in the rest of their daily lives?

I sometimes wonder if coming to football is a way to offload all your anger and frustrations and when you get home it’s out of your system, I don’t know.

There are certainly quite a few that seem quite bored when we’re doing well and love the emotions that go with the bad times.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding a ' reaction' to what's happening in their daily lives. 

Not all obviously... however I've known people in the workplace and acquaintances who've literally changed personality due to circumstances in their home life. They develop a short fuse and pretty much anything sets them off. They become loud and shouty at everything that they find frustrating. 

It can be a multitude of things. Bereavement, Divorce, Health, Career, Job, Finance, Depression, Anxiety, Medication, etc etc etc. 

Medication is definitely something I've noticed change people's Character. Often for the worse. Mix that with drink or drugs, in a frustrating or hostile atmosphere and it can really set people off. Not just at the footy...but in everyday life. 

Obviously there are people that are just plain and simple dicks...but often their is a reason for some people's strange or aggressive reactions, to things that don't go the way they want straight away. 

• Like 2

Football’s all about the emotions. That’s why it appeals. During a game we all get frustrated and can slag off a player for messing up, etc. Then with the chance to reflect or see a replay can have a totally different opinion. 

I get the frustration when it is genuinely a poor performance or the attitude looks bad from a player/the team, but I don’t get continuously slagging players off when we had a match like the other night v Boro. Yes there were things that were wrong, i.e. annoyed for their goals when we couldn’t clear our lines or stop the cross, but all in all was a good game with both teams going to try to win. Good entertainment, City might deserve some constructive criticism in most games, but overall put in a shift, played some neat football and competed. 

We’re no worse or better than most clubs. Nature of football, game of opinions. We all think we know better, especially in the heat of the moment. I’ll have a moan cos we all want to see City win, but as I’ve had years of our under achievement, I appreciate and thoroughly enjoy a good honest match like the other night, despite the frustrations of the result.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I tried this on Saturday. A big laugh accompanied by "would you two please cheer the **** up". It bought me but 10 minutes of blissful silence.

I'm surprised it only bought you ten minutes of silence as if you tried it on Saturday it was 48 hours before the stadium started filling for the Middlesbrough game. 

• Haha 1

Let’s hear from the horses mouth. Surely there’s someone reading this who recognises themselves in these comments.

Let us know what’s going on, is it just at football you rant? Do you enjoy a good moan or is it just a getting it out of your system mechanism?

I always think I’d rather they get angry and moan sat near me and then go home to their family happy and calm. 

8 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Maybe they go home to an evening of 'film noir ,, or browse brutalist architecture - some do revel in the shadows..

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Ahhhh so that’s where I’m going wrong! Love a bit of brutalism me. 

I’m no expert but when you say brutalist architecture I’m thinking Memorial Stadium 

• Haha 1

I vividly recall walking out of the ground after Joe Royle's four goal debut in 1977 and hearing two blokes in front of me berating him for missing what they considered a sitter. It wasn't a little moan but a full on moan about it. I was a teenager at the time and these blokes were in their forties so I would guess and say that they are no longer with us...although it seems their descendants are.

I could understand it slightly if the game finished 4-4 but it was a comprehensive 4-1 victory. I thought every City fan would be ecstatically happy, like I was. So I learned from a very early age that there are always some miserable sods around and that they derive their brand of happiness from finding faults to have a good moan about.

It's the one thing I dislike about all seater stadium, in the days of terracing if you didn't want to hear some cretin mouthing off, you could move to somewhere else. It was quite a revelation to find that the motto "birds of a feather, stick together" applied to football crowds when you found an area where people had similar views to yourself.

When we sat in the Atyeo we had the misfortune to be sat in front of the king of the moaners, even his son seemed genuinely embarrassed to be with him most of the time. I am sure @Curr Avon will remember the "gentleman" in question, I remember him crying about a misplaced pass when we were 3-1 up with minutes to go against Rotherham in our promotion sealing game. Everybody else in the ground just boucing with joy except this idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

A few seasons back in the Dolman, i was sat in front of a couple of farmers who moaned constantly about every misplaced pass. They were so negative about everything,  It used to drive me mad. A row further back there was this bloke who, when things went south, used to shout out "Johnson you midget", every 5 minutes.

I had to move seats next season ticket in the end. Why go to the game and just moan or shout abuse for 90 minutes? Bizarre

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's the one thing I dislike about all seater stadium, in the days of terracing if you didn't want to hear some cretin mouthing off, you could move to somewhere else. It was quite a revelation to find that the motto "birds of a feather, stick together" applied to football crowds when you found an area where people had similar views to yourself.

When we sat in the Atyeo we had the misfortune to be sat in front of the king of the moaners, even his son seemed genuinely embarrassed to be with him most of the time. I am sure @Curr Avon will remember the "gentleman" in question, I remember him crying about a misplaced pass when we were 3-1 up with minutes to go against Rotherham in our promotion sealing game. Everybody else in the ground just boucing with joy except this idiot.

God I remember him when I used to sit there! Was a right moaning git! 

I don’t miss those days, it’s partly why I’m in the unreserved section now, cos you can move if someone’s annoying you, or just glare at them enough, and they move! :D 

It's not just City, you'll probably find all clubs, not just football, have this sort of "supporter".

A few years ago, Liverpool had beaten a Turkish side 8-0, but on the 606 phone one of their fans moaned;

That was the wrong team selection, the wrong formation, the wrong substitutes and they went on at the wrong time. We could have won far more convincingly.

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Some folk seem to attend matches just to moan and enjoy the whinges.

I used to sit in front of a guy who had a complete hatred for Bobby Reid and every time Reid made the slightest mistake - not converting a difficult chance into a goal for example - would loudly exclaim "aaah naaah" in this loud Cockney voice. 

In the season when Reid became our leading scorer, the guy was quieter, but even then you'd hear: "Abaht time you done somefink good, Reid!" ?‍♂️

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

A few seasons back in the Dolman, i was sat in front of a couple of farmers who moaned constantly about every misplaced pass. They were so negative about everything,  It used to drive me mad. A row further back there was this bloke who, when things went south, used to shout out "Johnson you midget", every 5 minutes.

I had to move seats next season ticket in the end. Why go to the game and just moan or shout abuse for 90 minutes? Bizarre

Yes, I used to sit in front of 2 moaning fkwits in the Dullmoan. They actually started when we kicked off grumbling at the actual method of KO! I moved to the back row in Dullmoan especially so I wouldn't have anyone sat behind me!