IGNORED

Where is the joy?

elhombrecito

12 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

God I remember him when I used to sit there! Was a right moaning git! 

I don’t miss those days, it’s partly why I’m in the unreserved section now, cos you can move if someone’s annoying you, or just glare at them enough, and they move! :D 

Ah yes, I should have mentioned you as well Dolls, he was awful wasn't he? He cuffed around the back of the head once and before I could react my daughter went for him, the look on his face was hilarious.

Like you I am in the unreserved section and have found a good group including @Loosey Boy who are a pretty positive bunch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Where I sit in the South Stand, I have the misfortune to be sat in front of a father and son who spend the entire game slagging off our players, particularly Andi Weimann, with whom they have a bizarre fascination. This happens even while we are playing well and winning (such as on Saturday), where every minor mistake is criticised.

What I just can't get my head around, is why somebody would pay their hard earned money to purchase a season ticket, and then spend their entire time complaining about the team they support. Where is the joy in that? What exactly are they getting out of attending a game?

Obviously we all get frustrated from time to time, and as City fans we've had more than out fair share to moan about over the recent years, but I honestly don't understand why you would bother attending games if all you can see is the negative aspects of our play?

And yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of me moaning about people moaning :ph34r:

@NcnsBcfc is he referring to you! ???

Moved my season cards several times due to gobby negative knowalls.

Latest being the coming season to get away from Statler and Waldorf sat behind me in Dolman E31...."FORWARD"....."PASS IT"....."RUBBISH"...."FORWARD"....etc,etc,etc all at very high volume every two minutes interspersed with incessant moaning. I did tell 'em to pipe down one game and they didn't appear for the second half which was bliss - but I got a bollocking from my Mrs.

I just hope they don't have the same idea and end up behind us again..

Statler & Waldorf - YouTube

• Like 1

It's quite clear to me that there are different types of supporter at a match, which will necessarily include those who do nothing but moan and berate. I agree that they must have some sort of problem elsewhere and find football a release mechanism to vent or disipate their negativity. In that respect football is a form of therapy, not available on the NHS and perhaps effective enough. You often find they will shout things at distant players/officials/opposing fans that they would not dare to do so close up. Maybe this is football's gift to the wider society.

Also agree with the fact of permanent seating causing some unrest among groups. We recall how the new development of all-seater stadiums after the Taylor Report caused the atmosphere to drop in many cases. Having to spend a whole season sat next to some knuckle-dragger will certainly dampen the enjoyment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Where I sit in the South Stand, I have the misfortune to be sat in front of a father and son who spend the entire game slagging off our players, particularly Andi Weimann, with whom they have a bizarre fascination. This happens even while we are playing well and winning (such as on Saturday), where every minor mistake is criticised.

What I just can't get my head around, is why somebody would pay their hard earned money to purchase a season ticket, and then spend their entire time complaining about the team they support. Where is the joy in that? What exactly are they getting out of attending a game?

Obviously we all get frustrated from time to time, and as City fans we've had more than out fair share to moan about over the recent years, but I honestly don't understand why you would bother attending games if all you can see is the negative aspects of our play?

And yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of me moaning about people moaning :ph34r:

You can be answering your own question. Football represents differing things to differing people. If it was about the quest for joy, why watch BCFC? 

These are season ticket holders who display a deep emotional investment of being regulars. We don't shout, vent, criticise, behave in our wider life, or invest ourselves in the same behaviours away from football. Football = An escape. 

During the double winning season I sat next to 3 old gits. Never happy. Remember us beating Port Vale 5 0 and still grumbling at JET. 

On the flipside, I sit on the South Stand for rugby. There's a bloke in front of us sat with his teenage son who we call superdad. He's permanently ready to be offended at any hint of swearing. As if his son doesn't hear it every day at school.

We never fail to offend.

Edited by The Bard

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I tried this on Monday. A big laugh accompanied by "would you two please cheer the **** up". It bought me but 10 minutes of blissful silence.

During a break in play why not just ask them why they slag off AW (or any City player)?

But be prepared for them to tell you to eff off tho.

There is also a bloke, who used to sit behind me, who was completely pissed out of his mind every game. He used to shout things, that nobody could understand. He would watch half of each half, then disappear off for more beer/cider/whatever he was drinking. Fairly sure he would come with his young son. He was steaming every single game. What's the point??

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@NcnsBcfc is he referring to you! ???

?

Thomas and I ST's are in the Dolman (E32).

Even though the climb up to row 32 gets a little bit harder, and the leg room just a little bit smaller each season, the delights of listening to @Graham c's abusing of the officials behind me means that the move to the Lower Lansdown has been put off for another season.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

It's quite clear to me that there are different types of supporter at a match, which will necessarily include those who do nothing but moan and berate. I agree that they must have some sort of problem elsewhere and find football a release mechanism to vent or disipate their negativity. In that respect football is a form of therapy, not available on the NHS and perhaps effective enough. You often find they will shout things at distant players/officials/opposing fans that they would not dare to do so close up. Maybe this is football's gift to the wider society.

Also agree with the fact of permanent seating causing some unrest among groups. We recall how the new development of all-seater stadiums after the Taylor Report caused the atmosphere to drop in many cases. Having to spend a whole season sat next to some knuckle-dragger will certainly dampen the enjoyment.

Every game there are people that confuse E31, and E33 with E32; and the constant Mike Reid " Ru, Ru, Runaround " takes place before the start of every game.

That allied to the "We don't normally go to live games" brigade. Who stand up when we are attacking, and celebrate every goal scored (before checking that the linesman hasn't already flagged 5 seconds beforehand); leads to somewhat tiring yo yo experience at times....?

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

?

Thomas and I ST's are in the Dolman (E32).

Even though the climb up to row 32 gets a little bit harder, and the leg room just a little bit smaller each season, the delights of listening to @Graham c's abusing of the officials behind me means that the move to the Lower Lansdown has been put off for another season.

You should try Row 34. After popping down for a mid-game pee once I ran back to my seat. Thought I'd need an oxygen tent set up. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

You should try Row 34. After popping down for a mid-game pee once I ran back to my seat. Thought I'd need an oxygen tent set up. ?

Well @CyderInACan has disappeared on 45 mins the last 2 home games for a pee.

Both times we have scored within seconds, so his toilet breaks are the new 12 man for the team.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Ask them directly & post their feedback on here please ??

many tears ago we had a big family in the row behind . moan and groan. then the flash point came against Millwall.

Racist remark started to be shouted out at Millwall players. i turned round and asked him how many coloured player did city have  .  it went silent 

They're everywhere. I used to have one behind me I called Nostradamus. There was always impending doom, even in our double winning season!

I have one now behind me who constantly states the bleeding obvious. I hope he ***** off somewhere else next season to give someone else the benefit of his outstanding football knowledge.

Its so easy to be negative nowadays, encouragement seems to be harder for some. 

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I vividly recall walking out of the ground after Joe Royle's four goal debut in 1977 and hearing two blokes in front of me berating him for missing what they considered a sitter. It wasn't a little moan but a full on moan about it. I was a teenager at the time and these blokes were in their forties so I would guess and say that they are no longer with us...although it seems their descendants are.

I could understand it slightly if the game finished 4-4 but it was a comprehensive 4-1 victory. I thought every City fan would be ecstatically happy, like I was. So I learned from a very early age that there are always some miserable sods around and that they derive their brand of happiness from finding faults to have a good moan about.

I bumped into Royle on the way into the Gate when we played Wigan about four years ago. He was surprised that I thought his best ever game at Ashton Gate was in a League Cup tie . Everton slaughtered City 5-0 and he was brilliant leading the Everton attack. I was also there for his four v Boro.

• Like 1

The field of psychology puts forward a number of suggestions as to why people moan like ****, one is that where we are powerless to do anything about a situation important to us grumbling about it is a way of coping with how we feel about this helplessness. It's a way of managing or coping with unpleasant feelings (tension/fear/anxiety/disappointment/etc).

Some people aim this at Liam Fontaine/ Marlon Pack/Harry Cornick, while others prefer Lester Shapter/Clive Thomas/Keith Stroud. Or drive home and start "Today's ref" threads.

And some people like to make vulgar gestures toward the away end with their hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swede said:

They're everywhere. I used to have one behind me I called Nostradamus. There was always impending doom, even in our double winning season!

I have one now behind me who constantly states the bleeding obvious. I hope he ***** off somewhere else next season to give someone else the benefit of his outstanding football knowledge.

Its so easy to be negative nowadays, encouragement seems to be harder for some. 

I wonder who that could be ?

52 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Went to Chelsea v Leeds at the Bridge a few weeks ago. Lively day out in London.
If you think City fans moan, you want to hear Chelsea fans moaning about Potter and the team.
On a different level! Great ground Stamford Bridge and fans close to the pitch. Hope City play there some day.

We have never in our history won a league match at Stamford Bridge.

But then, it's the same for Chelsea at Ashton Gate.

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Ah yes, I should have mentioned you as well Dolls, he was awful wasn't he? He cuffed around the back of the head once and before I could react my daughter went for him, the look on his face was hilarious.

Like you I am in the unreserved section and have found a good group including @Loosey Boy who are a pretty positive bunch.

Only “pretty” positive @Port Said Red? ??

In all seriousness, I think in the main, those around us are a good bunch - interesting how a group of strangers have got to know each other over the past few seasons - really enjoy the banter amongst us!

• Like 1

I can trump everyone….

I have a guy behind me, who must be on speed dial for Pep, given his clear superior knowledge of everything football related. 
it’s beyond painful, “don’t mess around and pass it- get it forward” is usually followed by “don’t just lump it, pass it”

He spent the game we played against Man U berating Marlon Pack for not getting close to Pogba (which shows how little he understands about football) 

Then infront, a father/son duo who just moan at specific players- (Chris Martin was public enemy #1 until he left) more recently its Cornick. 

I’m the idiot tho- I’ve again renewed, and again will arrive for next seasons first home game praying they either haven’t, or have moved. 

S22, R23 FYI. 

14 hours ago, ZumerZetSmithy said:

many tears ago we had a big family in the row behind . moan and groan. then the flash point came against Millwall.

Racist remark started to be shouted out at Millwall players. i turned round and asked him how many coloured player did city have  .  it went silent 

Im glad that was many years ago, as the phrase “coloured players” is about 30 years out of date now & is considered offensive. 

As a kid growing up Dad and I had season tickets in both the Dolman and Williams. One of the things that used to stand out and irritate a little was the amount of moaning in the Dolman. It occurred in the Williams too but not as much it seemed. I’ve always assumed thats where Dolman got its infamous nickname from. Way more negativity than what we witnessed in our time in the Williams. I’d have to dig deep to figure out where we were sat during which seasons, so it maybe be an unfair comparison as quantity of moaning is proportional to success on the field. But it was effing relentless. My seasons in the East End, Atyeo and S82 really helped restore faith in our support. I think it’s habitual and if you followed the club through thick and thin post 82, I guess it can be forgiven. I also think it’s fair to say that more season tickets were sold in the Dolman than they were in Williams back then, and to folk that had been sat there for years and years it seemed.

I’m not saying I never ever moaned at a player but as I grew older I realised how important we are as the 12th man and getting on players backs during the 90 minutes I cannot condone. No matter how shit we are or they are. That’s what places like this are for. 

Edited by real_bristol