IGNORED

Kalas to leave ?

Major Isewater

9 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

@Davefevs @Mr Popodopolous what does a potential renewal do for the amortisation of the £8m fee? Does that help us in FFP land? 

What EA and Dave said- book value basically 0, £2m saving plus whatever wage reduction if he stays cost saving annually. Can free up a bit of room elsewhere/keep us further away from FFP depending on how you work it.

As much as I like Kalas when he is fit and on form I am deeply concerned by his injuries.

We took a punt with Baker on reduced terms and it failed. I can see the same thing happening with Kalas unfortunately.

I think the reality is that he will go when his contract runs out.

If we are serious about trying to compete we could get 2 or maybe 3 prospects for the wages that he is getting paid and then we have options if any end up on the treatment table.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I'm in two minds about Kalas even IF he were offered a contract at 50% cut and would accept.

He is very good defender on the ground and getting blocks in, but is pretty weak in the air. A lot of the poor goals we concede are due to the lack of a CB who is really good in the air.

Finding a 'Flint' type is what we need to consolidate defence and offer more threat at our corners & free kicks that are going to be crossed in.

Not good in the air?! Hes the most dominant defensive winner of headers we have!

Reduced terms if possible and it has to be a new contract for him imo. 

• Like 1

I’d be surprised to see him here next season.

TK will have will have plenty of suitors, both in the championship and abroad. 

Most players at this stage of their careers are generally wanting to secure a 3 year contract but will consider 2.

Even on reduced terms, he will still be one of the top earners at the club and realistically I cannot see us offering a long term deal with the high wage and injury problems he’s encountered.

I don’t know TK and maybe him being settled in Bristol trumps the financial hurdle.

12 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

is there any more detail to this dream? Who told you?

The message just arrived. There wasn’t a person delivering it. I don’t remember the rest of the dream as I woke myself up to note the message. Now I’m sure many of you are laughing at the Mystic Major, nothing new there , but I have proof in my life of the huge untapped capacity of the human subconscious. We only use a minute fraction of our brains as we ‘refuse’ to acknowledge that which ,today, cannot be measured scientifically.

Now I’m off to the Unicorn racing at Uttoxeter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 16/04/2023 at 06:46, Major Isewater said:

In an unrelated dream I received the news that Kalas had left. Just putting it out there because it’s bizarre. 

In this unrelated dream, was the news of Kalas's departure brought to you by a bevvy of scantily clad, nubile 20 year old females?

On 17/04/2023 at 07:09, Jacki said:

I wouldn’t be keeping Kalas personally. This last few weeks has shown how stretched a small squad gets when injuries strike and his fitness record has been woeful for a long time now. I’m sure I’ve read on here over the years  that he’s on closer to £30k a week than the £20k people are quoting on this thread. I’ve always had it in my head that he’s our highest paid player either way. We’ve just never had that kind of value out of him for me, even when he was fit more often.

I know I’m in the minority here but I actually don’t rate Kalas that highly as a player either. He’s often ‘brave’, flying into tackles and headers etc. but that’s precisely why he gets injured so often. I also don’t think he reads the game that well. The very best defenders rarely have to make crunching tackles because they cut out danger without having to. A lot of what Kalas does is last ditch defending in order to compensate for him not reading the play or making a positional error.

With all of that in mind, I’d be wishing Kalas all the best but would definitely be letting him leave. 

Agree his timing when jumping is all wrong so he lands time and time again on his back which leads to us losing his services for endless games .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nickolas said:

Not good in the air?! Hes the most dominant defensive winner of headers we have!

Reduced terms if possible and it has to be a new contract for him imo. 

No he isn't. Does well with balls over the top but has been struggling to track runners and win headers from crosses for too long now.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Hes injury record has been good prior to his recent one...

I tried that a while ago @DaveF, and even posted the graphic to back up my point. 

Thing is as usual, if one person says something, then someone else repeats it, and then 3 or 4 people repeat that,  all of a sudden he's turned into Lee Matthews.

A sicknote he is not, but there we go.

Edited post after finding, and adding the original graphic I posted to show how much of a "sicknote" Kalas has been.

Let's also not forget that he probably came back too early last time, simply because we were short at the back.

Screenshot_20230304_174143_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a1dc3c789efc26365a506d92191df201.jpg

Edited by Taz
  • Like 3

As @Taz said prior, he's not a sick note. Probably our best CB and one who I think, if fit, would be a crucial part of a team challenging for playoofs.

With that said I wouldn't offer more than a 2 year deal at 10-15k as that is personally where I see as his maximum value. I'd like him to stay but I also have the confidence in the reinvestment of wages (probably more so) in new assets going forward. 

If he does leave, Id like to say thank you for his efforts as hes always been committed, but relent againt (ashton/Johnson) for their financial impact on our club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CiderHeadDan said:

As @Taz said prior, he's not a sick note. Probably our best CB and one who I think, if fit, would be a crucial part of a team challenging for playoofs.

With that said I wouldn't offer more than a 2 year deal at 10-15k as that is personally where I see as his maximum value. I'd like him to stay but I also have the confidence in the reinvestment of wages (probably more so) in new assets going forward. 

If he does leave, Id like to say thank you for his efforts as hes always been committed, but relent againt (ashton/Johnson) for their financial impact on our club.

Absolutely, any possible new deal should/will be reduced from what he is currently on, much like the new deals for Wiemann and Wells. I'd also go as far as saying a new deal on the same structure for Dasilva (who has been good since coming back in the side) wouldn't be bad news either, although that one is less likely I think depending on how far advanced (or not) to getting the other guy we were in January.

If Kalas is settled and happy in the area (girlfriend/partner is local apparently I think) then that could be a key factor as well. Don't forget the training cone comment from his time at Chelsea, and how he was happy to finally be able to settle in one place after being moved around all the time in the Chelsea conveyor belt.

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pearson’s press conference today seemed to as near as possible confirm he’s not going to be fit to play for us again this season.

Can’t see any way we’ll make him a contract offer now.

Every week it seems he’s due back only to suffer a set back.  Our best defender by a mile but thought he needed to play 5 out of 7 to stand a chance of staying.  Too high risk to offer a contract and time for him to move on.  

• Like 3