IGNORED

Taylor Gardner-Hickman - Signing confirmed

CyderInACan

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Didn’t we do that with Kane Wilson, then decide we don’t play that shape any more?

Kane Wilson was crocked and Looked terrible when he got on! The changes typically get made on the basis of what you have best. KW wasn’t considered rightly or wrongly to be in that category. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Confirmed by the Midlands media that he isn’t available to play against WBA (standard) & he’s also cup tied, so he can’t feature against Norwich either.

Bound to go into the squad for Friday though.

Surprised he’s cup-tied on a season long loan???

As you say it’s a rule that loanee cannot play his home club in a league match.  Is he cup-tied full stop, or just cup-tied against West Brom, should we end up playing them at some point in Carabao or FA Cup?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Surprised he’s cup-tied on a season long loan???

As you say it’s a rule that loanee cannot play his home club in a league match.  Is he cup-tied full stop, or just cup-tied against West Brom, should we end up playing them at some point in Carabao or FA Cup?

He's already played in the Carabao this season.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's already played in the Carabao this season.

That explains that competition then! ???

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not sure why people keep talking about him as a utility player. Plenty of young players play a variety of positions before they end up in their true position. 

I see this lad playing between the midfield and behind the striker and can provide cover at rb. We won't be dropping Tanner to play this lad at rb. 

Bearing in mind Nige talked at the weekend about signing someone to cover McCrorie…don’t you think TGH might be the one he was on about?  And if so, he might initially compete with Tanner at RB…and other positions?

Think its a good deal. Cover at Right Back initially and then a more advanced midfield role in the future. Given that Williams / King's contract ends next year - I think he's one for the future and can also be a benefit now. 

WBA fans seem to think his best position is Midfield - That's where he will probably end up long term. If he kicks on could be a very decent signing - if not they don't purchase him

• Robin 1

Baggies fans seem to think he has suffered as a result of being versatile & not really pinning down any particular position.

Sounds familiar!

Best at right wing back/right mid..

Athletic, pace & a decent cross on him - passing not the best - defensively not the best.

Has potential, room to grow - but needs game time to find consistency.

Has ability - the challenge reading between the lines is finding the best way in which to utilise it.......

As always,will be interesting!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sounds like a positive bit of business to me, given that WBA fans seem to generally rate him quite highly.

But to make that more OTIB friendly, and to keep the mood of the forum in general, Everton fans were of much the same opinion when we took Liam Walsh off them.

Oh god,, another name from the dark days when we could watch a million quid go up in smoke!

32 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Anybody know whether we sought permission to talk to him, and then brought him to Bristol to have a chat, show him around and sell the ‘project’…. Or whether we just fired from the hip and sent off a random offer, a la Tommason? 

Yeah, we’ve decided to move away from data driven recruitment and instead going with picking names out a hat. 

30 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Yeah, we’ve decided to move away from data driven recruitment and instead going with picking names out a hat. 

Well I guess that’s my point.. I know with a couple of our earlier signings (Knight / Roberts) both Nige and Tinnion were courting the signings / checking their credentials and importantly their personality and suitability for the changing room… Don’t want anymore Tomlins or Bakinsons whatever the data says..
But just wondering whether we are now reverting to a previous owner backed business model of signing players that are (rightly or wrongly) perceived to be a ‘safe’ bet for a future return on investment… 

• Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, One Team said:

Mate of mine thought ‘Do the conga’ by Black Lace would work!

”Do-do-do, Taylor Gardner-Hickman!

Do-do-do, a Cider night for sure!”.

Oh Yeah?    A friend of a friend Eh!   Covered both sides.....if we think it 's naff your mate gets the blame.....whereas if we like it, u get the praise.....Ha!!      ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Well I guess that’s my point.. I know with a couple of our earlier signings (Knight / Roberts) both Nige and Tinnion were courting the signings / checking their credentials and importantly their personality and suitability for the changing room… Don’t want anymore Tomlins or Bakinsons whatever the data says..
But just wondering whether we are now reverting to a previous owner backed business model of signing players that are (rightly or wrongly) perceived to be a ‘safe’ bet for a future return on investment… 

There is zero chance that TGH was signed unless Pearson was keen to bring him to the club. I fully expect him to be involved on Friday night, if not starting then from the bench.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Good to see the Baggies fans rate him - Taylor Gardner-Hickman (westbrom.com)

Some of their fans get it.  They are a mess, cash-wise at least.  Just like we couldn’t get rid of the likes of Palmer without taking a hit, they can’t move on Mowatt, Cholobah, etc, because their wages are too high for anyone to take on.

2 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Out of interest why would you think that about this signing?

TGH sounds more like a “safe bet” to come into the team and help improve it.  If he improves in value whilst he’s here, it’s because he’s played well.  There is nothing wrong with that model.  It’s breaking that model / deviating from that model that cost us 2-3 years of progress opportunity.

I said yesterday that if this signing was being mooted in June, we’d be pretty excited (happy at least) that we were after a player of the following profile:

• Champ experience (50+ games / 35 ninety min equivalent)
  • England u20 caps
  • A midfielder (no8 type) seeing as it’s likely Scott will be going
  • can also play RB
  • lowish wages due to age
  • £2m a sensible amount

As it happens we are doing it on loan with an option to buy a couple of months later (now Alex has been sold).

Why would you start talking about recruitment in terms of Tomlin and Bakinson.  Do you not think they’ve checked TGH’s character?  He appears to be another “model pro”.  I watched a couple of interviews yesterday, bright, intelligent young man.  His first interview for us appeared to follow the same character.

This is a “safer bet” than George Thomason.  We even get to give him back if it doesn’t work out.

What’s not to like?

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No way we’ll get away with 14 on the pitch ?

Sad, but I just remembered that when I was a lad, I used to religiously count the number of opposition players starting the second halves of games, just in case they were trying to stick an extra one on. I still do a count mid game now if I get bored.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some of their fans get it.  They are a mess, cash-wise at least.  Just like we couldn’t get rid of the likes of Palmer without taking a hit, they can’t move on Mowatt, Cholobah, etc, because their wages are too high for anyone to take on.

Out of interest why would you think that about this signing?

TGH sounds more like a “safe bet” to come into the team and help improve it.  If he improves in value whilst he’s here, it’s because he’s played well.  There is nothing wrong with that model.  It’s breaking that model / deviating from that model that cost us 2-3 years of progress opportunity.

I said yesterday that if this signing was being mooted in June, we’d be pretty excited (happy at least) that we were after a player of the following profile:

• Champ experience (50+ games / 35 ninety min equivalent)
  • England u20 caps
  • A midfielder (no8 type) seeing as it’s likely Scott will be going
  • can also play RB
  • lowish wages due to age
  • £2m a sensible amount

As it happens we are doing it on loan with an option to buy a couple of months later (now Alex has been sold).

Why would you start talking about recruitment in terms of Tomlin and Bakinson.  Do you not think they’ve checked TGH’s character?  He appears to be another “model pro”.  I watched a couple of interviews yesterday, bright, intelligent young man.  His first interview for us appeared to follow the same character.

This is a “safer bet” than George Thomason.  We even get to give him back if it doesn’t work out.

What’s not to like?

Whats your view on mowatt dave? Seemed to come on strong a few years ago and was a top championship midfielder, but doesnt seem too popular with the west brom lot…. Would he be a good signing for us if wages could be agreed, or has his time been and gone now?

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sounds like a positive bit of business to me, given that WBA fans seem to generally rate him quite highly.

But to make that more OTIB friendly, and to keep the mood of the forum in general, Everton fans were of much the same opinion when we took Liam Walsh off them.

Walsh was very much injury hit and didn't necessarily get a go in key positions.

Gardner-Hickman however seems to have decent availability whereas Walsh PL and was probably one of many pushed out during a big spending phase at Everton. The two do differ.

• Like 1