IGNORED

Taylor Gardner-Hickman - Signing confirmed

CyderInACan

23 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

No one made you marry your wife and we do have a choice if they refuse to play that’s a different question but I’m convinced we don’t even attempt to make them stay we just say if the price is right rather than let’s see where we are in January and go then ! It’s not up to them 

I disagree with this. I am confident that the club does all that it can in a proper manner to persuade players that they don't want to let go to stay. However it is not always possible. In Scott's case it was handled correctly on both sides, he wasn't actively pursuing a transfer or trying to run down his contract for example as others have done. I am sure there are players chasing the money of the Saudi pro league who clubs would have preferred to have kept but we're powerless to prevent, Fulham and Mitrovic are one example. Ofcourse there is the reverse position as well. If a player should honour his contract should not a club also. There has certainly been occasions where a, player has been frozen out and treated badly because the club wants rid. 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

For the billionth time - he didn't want to stay.

Are you suggesting we should have refused to let him go and instead have a seriously pissed off player stinking the place out for the rest of the season?

Plus the fact, 25 million quid substantially helps our ffp position over the next several years and will allow us to bring in several new players to develop the squad as a whole. 

Again - forcing players to stay, when they want to move, is counter productive. 

I would say, put yourself in his shoes, but suspect you haven't the wit. 

Selling someone who cost us nothing for 25 million quid isn't lack of ambition, it's football, it's business, it's where we - and about 90 other English football clubs - are in the pecking order. It's a bummer, that's life. 

Comprendez??? 

Somehow I doubt it. 

And , might I add, a reason why young stars will look at us as an attractive proposition in their career development, as explained by Adam Murphy’s manager. 
Yep it is painful when we sell but if we recruit well then we will advance. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He says every time he’s been at Ashton Gate he’s been made speechless by the atmosphere. Ironically he would have been as silent as the atmosphere itself 

Speechless at how strong the vitriol toward Pearson was on Boxing Day 2022

Edited by petehinton
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

For the billionth time - he didn't want to stay.

Are you suggesting we should have refused to let him go and instead have a seriously pissed off player stinking the place out for the rest of the season?

Plus the fact, 25 million quid substantially helps our ffp position over the next several years and will allow us to bring in several new players to develop the squad as a whole. 

Again - forcing players to stay, when they want to move, is counter productive. 

I would say, put yourself in his shoes, but suspect you haven't the wit. 

Selling someone who cost us nothing for 25 million quid isn't lack of ambition, it's football, it's business, it's where we - and about 90 other English football clubs - are in the pecking order. It's a bummer, that's life. 

Comprendez??? 

Somehow I doubt it. 

Did Scott put in a transfer request? Does that even happen anymore? 

However the speed at which the deal got done at the death does suggest that. 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Two questions. @Mr Popodopolous @ExiledAjax and other finance guys. 

How much of a financial mess are WBA in? This really does seem to come from nowhere. 

And

Does it state anywhere he can’t play against them (as this is loan to buy does this change that)?

It hasn't come from nowhere it's a long running saga. Try this from the excellent Action for Albion fans group.

https://www.actionforalbion.co.uk/update-the-current-situation/

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

That bloke of Twitter is quoting a £700k loan fee for the season, option to make permanent for additional £1.3m.

Seems reliable too.

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not sure it does. A 700k loan fee is shit if he does well then decides he doesn’t want to sign permanently. It seems a bit slanted to me - if we were talking (say) 300-400k loan fee then the option at £1.7m that’d seem better for us.

I think it’s pretty fair.

It’s basically a £2m player being given to us to “try before we buy” for a third of the fee….enabling us to get it done quickly.  It gives West Brom some cash, as it won’t be a huge wage saving for them for a young homegrown player.

If we have to buy him NOW, they are probably asking for £1m as the first payment.

Feels like a happy medium, and I’m not talking Doris Stokes!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

A few years ago, a bloke in work said he’d been to a seance. One wag asked “was there anybody there” and he replied “yes me, my wife, some friends…”

On TGH my only concern, perversely, is that he does too well and if we try to exercise, he looks for better. I expect in practical terms we’ll execute in January if all goes well (maybe even negotiating down if WBA still need cash flow), so probably will be a non concern if he does do ok as 4 months are unlikely to bring him onto others radars.

I think some may be surprised at how good this lad is and I’m amazed WBA are happy to let him go at the end of the season for £1.3m. You don’t get in the England U20s team without having ability as we seen with AS. I like the idea of him and Murphy joining and how we appear to be covering our midfield for the future although he can play RB & RWB as well as midfield

• Like 2

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

I think some may be surprised at how good this lad is and I’m amazed WBA are happy to let him go at the end of the season for £1.3m. You don’t get in the England U20s team without having ability as we seen with AS. I like the idea of him and Murphy joining and how we appear to be covering our midfield for the future although he can play RB & RWB as well as midfield

Who’s Murphy , ? 
must admit never heard of Gardner Haskins either or what ever his name is until today 

Caveat Emptor, in this instance fitness permitting ;)

Am cautiously optimistic about this signing.

Young, yet good Championship experience- versatile. Has his strengths and weaknesses of course but feels like one of the boxes might have been ticked. England U20 too- scout report was promising.

Welcome Taylor.

Oh first loan under NP too! A landmark.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

If only there was a seven page thread on the transfer forum and reports from both the evening post and Irish independent!

Just sat down up at 4am this morning 13 hour day at work , gym ,take dog for walk now stuffing my face and go online to see city have signed / loaned some yuppy sounding bloke from the baggies and were looking at some bloke called Murphy 

55 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Wow - I thought tomorrow absolute earliest. Either it’s moved very very fast today or it’s been in the works for a couple days but only got leaked today.

Regardless - I like this move. Welcome TGH ?⚪

Bold gives me hope.

If we get Murphy in, if we can get one more midfielder and a forward in a similar manner. Could be (cautious) cause for optimism we may yet see more incomings.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seems reliable too.

I think it’s pretty fair.

It’s basically a £2m player being given to us to “try before we buy” for a third of the fee….enabling us to get it done quickly.  It gives West Brom some cash, as it won’t be a huge wage saving for them for a young homegrown player.

If we have to buy him NOW, they are probably asking for £1m as the first payment.

Do you think TGH has already signed a “pre-contract” here, so we can trigger the transfer without his consent in the future?