IGNORED

Taylor Gardner-Hickman - Signing confirmed

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Does he play Friday and in what position and role?

I hope so, if he doesn't play Friday then we might have to wait until he picks up an injury in training. And that could take a few weeks.

How else are we going to assess his resilience and recovery time if we don't break him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some of their fans get it.  They are a mess, cash-wise at least.  Just like we couldn’t get rid of the likes of Palmer without taking a hit, they can’t move on Mowatt, Cholobah, etc, because their wages are too high for anyone to take on.

Out of interest why would you think that about this signing?

TGH sounds more like a “safe bet” to come into the team and help improve it.  If he improves in value whilst he’s here, it’s because he’s played well.  There is nothing wrong with that model.  It’s breaking that model / deviating from that model that cost us 2-3 years of progress opportunity.

I said yesterday that if this signing was being mooted in June, we’d be pretty excited (happy at least) that we were after a player of the following profile:

• Champ experience (50+ games / 35 ninety min equivalent)
  • England u20 caps
  • A midfielder (no8 type) seeing as it’s likely Scott will be going
  • can also play RB
  • lowish wages due to age
  • £2m a sensible amount

As it happens we are doing it on loan with an option to buy a couple of months later (now Alex has been sold).

Why would you start talking about recruitment in terms of Tomlin and Bakinson.  Do you not think they’ve checked TGH’s character?  He appears to be another “model pro”.  I watched a couple of interviews yesterday, bright, intelligent young man.  His first interview for us appeared to follow the same character.

This is a “safer bet” than George Thomason.  We even get to give him back if it doesn’t work out.

What’s not to like?

I don’t think that TGH is a bad signing at all, in fact looks very promising.. I agree with all your points above, have watched his video on the O S and have also read the positive comments on the Baggies forum.. it’s just that from the outside we seem to have abandoned our due diligence on this and the failed Thomason bid.. TGH looks to be a much better option than Thomason so why was he not first choice? Quick fire signings were a trait of the previous bad times… just hoping that the old influences at the club no longer remain.. 

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is a “safer bet” than George Thomason.  We even get to give him back if it doesn’t work out.

What’s not to like?

I love this type of deal, you get to know what he's like on and off the pitch, what he brings or doesn't bring, and can send him back and option to buy with an already agreed fee. As long as he isn't a Tomlin (and nothing to show he is), then it's a great deal imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Whats your view on mowatt dave? Seemed to come on strong a few years ago and was a top championship midfielder, but doesnt seem too popular with the west brom lot…. Would he be a good signing for us if wages could be agreed, or has his time been and gone now?

Mowatt is a good player, nice left foot, but he’s more of a “disruptor”, break play up, give it to someone else.  Not hugely dynamic.  Suited Barnsley’s play under Ismael, basically missing out the midfield in open play generally.  Hence why I think that signing for West Brom was natural as Ismael took over, but when Ismael left it left a bit of a spare part for how Corberan wanted to play.  Loaned to Boro.  Played under Wilder, didn’t play under Carrick (generalisation), probably tells a story about fit to style.

So, I’d probably say, no he wouldn’t be a good signing…even if wages were palatable.

46 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I don’t think that TGH is a bad signing at all, in fact looks very promising.. I agree with all your points above, have watched his video on the O S and have also read the positive comments on the Baggies forum.. it’s just that from the outside we seem to have abandoned our due diligence on this and the failed Thomason bid.. TGH looks to be a much better option than Thomason so why was he not first choice? Quick fire signings were a trait of the previous bad times… just hoping that the old influences at the club no longer remain.. 

In what way?  I’m on the outside like you, I don’t get any sense of the above.  Maybe I’m missing something?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mowatt is a good player, nice left foot, but he’s more of a “disruptor”, break play up, give it to someone else.  Not hugely dynamic.  Suited Barnsley’s play under Ismael, basically missing out the midfield in open play generally.  Hence why I think that signing for West Brom was natural as Ismael took over, but when Ismael left it left a bit of a spare part for how Corberan wanted to play.  Loaned to Boro.  Played under Wilder, didn’t play under Carrick (generalisation), probably tells a story about fit to style.

So, I’d probably say, no he wouldn’t be a good signing…even if wages were palatable.

In what way?  I’m on the outside like you, I don’t get any sense of the above.  Maybe I’m missing something?

It’s not you, it’s me ?.. With both Knight and Roberts for example, there was or certainly appeared to be quite some dialogue and due consideration being made before any deal was done.. there was even multiple page threads on the transfer forum tracking progress over a period of weeks..the last couple of bids appear to have been made almost out of the blue, and as I said above not sure why we would have bid for GT ahead of TGH. All could be, and hopefully is all well and good and as I said, it’s probably me reading too much into it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Sad, but I just remembered that when I was a lad, I used to religiously count the number of opposition players starting the second halves of games, just in case they were trying to stick an extra one on. I still do a count mid game now if I get bored.

You must do a lot of counting then !

• Haha 1

Anyone else keep seeing ‘TGH’ and reading it as ‘TFG’ - a previous shirt provider of ours - and optimistically thinking we’ve ditched O’Neills?

Mind you, might be a case of frying pan into the fire, as I don’t think they were stand- out shirts design or quality wise. 

7 minutes ago, FNQ said:

It’s not you, it’s me ?.. With both Knight and Roberts for example, there was or certainly appeared to be quite some dialogue and due consideration being made before any deal was done.. there was even multiple page threads on the transfer forum tracking progress over a period of weeks..the last couple of bids appear to have been made almost out of the blue, and as I said above not sure why we would have bid for GT ahead of TGH. All could be, and hopefully is all well and good and as I said, it’s probably me reading too much into it.

On the contrary, Rob Dickie was out of the blue.

I really don’t think you can take how many pages a thread on a forum gets and equate that to to how much due diligence has been taken out by the club.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I hope so, if he doesn't play Friday then we might have to wait until he picks up an injury in training. And that could take a few weeks.

How else are we going to assess his resilience and recovery time if we don't break him.

Oh donT worry Rob it won’t take a few weeks to pick up an injury in training , Thursday latest I reckon?

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

It’s you! ???

Knight - went from OTIB “suggestion” by people like me (because we rated him and saw Derby’s “situation”) and discussion on his merits to finding out City were attempting to sign him.  Had it not been for the timing (summer) and Knight being on international duty and wanting a bit of time off, it’s likely it would’ve concluded much quicker.  We eventually got a fee agreed with Derby and it was done.  I don’t honestly think the delay from start to finish was City doing more and more due diligence.  We’d bid for the first time way before, our due diligence was already done.

Roberts - blimey we went from Joe Bryan not coming to virtually signing Roberts immeduately. ???

For me this just shows that we are always spinning plates, working on the optionality of more than one player at a time, ready to go on the next one.

Gardner-Hickman - we don’t know how long we’ve been monitoring him.  A bit like Dickie too.  We will be aware of players.  Don’t forget each recruitment analysts is assigned to several clubs so that every club in the EFL/PL has coverage.  If you start to hear noise about finances, or finances affecting contracts, you’re probably on high alert.  Don’t forget TGH was already subject of interest from Brum a few weeks ago, so if I knew that, it’s likely our recruitment team would have a “marker” against him too.

What does appear to be the case is that when we do move from interest / monitoring to bid / deal, we do it pretty quickly.

I’ve no idea if this is Tins influence or Alexander’s influence, a bit of both…or pure luck (?), but it’s good imho.

Finally, had we signed TGH the day after we sold Scott, I think everyone would be saying “ah, look we had him lined up, nice work”.  However in that period there has been a lot of noise re 1) SL’s Guernsey interview and 2) Nige’s comments re wage bill and “if we can sign someone”.  That hasn’t helped.  Where Thomason fitted into this I don’t know.

3 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think we've raided a good young player from a club that realise they are about to do a derby.  They're in real trouble I think.

Yep, Bartley about to go on a free too - mutual termination of his contract.

• Like 1

To quote Gary J he sounds like "another club in the bag" and potentially a very useful one. Whether it works out here is yet to be seen, as we've had loan players come here and look much worse than at their parent club, and vice versa sometimes.

Still doesn't obligate the need to find a centrally located, attack-minded midfielder, which I hope is top of Nige's to-do list. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Still doesn't obligate the need to find a centrally located, attack-minded midfielder, which I hope is top of Nige's to-do list. 

Nice lingo ??????

Seriously though, it is possible that TGH is that player.  I’m not quite sure myself though….but I’ll see how he’s asked to play first when he plays in midfield (assuming he’s not needed at RB initially).  He does have good passing ability.  He’s not a dribbler like Scott.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice lingo ??????

Seriously though, it is possible that TGH is that player.  I’m not quite sure myself though….but I’ll see how he’s asked to play first when he plays in midfield (assuming he’s not needed at RB initially).  He does have good passing ability.  He’s not a dribbler like Scott.

It'll be interesting, won't it? I took on your "attack minded" phrase, because it's as important for us to get a robust central defender who can stop us simply ceding control of the middle portion of the pitch as it is to get someone who can feed (and support) the forward line.

Multiple times, in possession, Birmingham's defence and deeper midfielders were just able to stride to the centre line and pick out a likely forward runner with no pressure on them. It's easy to set up a decent attack if you have all the time in the world to do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is surely the replacement for Scott then. One in the base of midfield with two number 8s, Knight and TGH, in front. 

Didn’t see the weekends match as I was at a wedding but getting the impression that Williams isn’t mobile enough to be one of those two dynamic 8s.

This should hopefully bridge the gap between midfield and attack and give us runners from midfield.

Edited by marcofisher
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

To quote Gary J he sounds like "another club in the bag" and potentially a very useful one. Whether it works out here is yet to be seen, as we've had loan players come here and look much worse than at their parent club, and vice versa sometimes.

Not sure if you'll find a centrally located one, the players seem to have a thing for Portishead. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

This is surely the replacement for Scott then. One in the base of midfield with two number 8s, Knight and TGH, in front. 

Didn’t see the weekends match as I was at a wedding but getting the impression that Williams isn’t mobile enough to be one of those two dynamic 8s.

This should hopefully bridge the gap between midfield and attack and give us runners from midfield.

I think that’s kinda the theory.  I think the front three strung across the width of the pitch lets it down though.

I think we have to see how it plays out….assuming TGH isn’t RB on Friday.  If he is, he should give us more than Tanner with the ball.  I think our opponents are quite happy to let us play out down the right, but double down on our left side threat, e.g. why Browne and Potts played unorthodox roles in game 1.

If we stick to the way we are playing at the mo’, but then have threat down our right through TGH (and hopefully McCrorie at some point) then our opponents can’t just worry about one side.  That then starts to open up the middle again.  All little levers being pulled and pushed depending on variables.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nice lingo ??????

If you watch his 2nd against Salford in pre season (appreciate it's only Salford) he definitely looks like he can take people on and carry the ball.